• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

m0dus
(02-12-2010, 04:48 AM)

Yeah. Can I keep a secret, or what?

So, the story of this undertaking begins roughly a year ago -- I had been doing a number of official themes for Konami (Silent Hill, etc) and I was approached by some peeps from NDI to work on what would be a theme for an, as of yet, unnamed title. After agreeing to undertake the challenge (or at least talk about it) I was presented with my task:

Create a theme for 'Uncharted 2.'

Holy. Crap.

Eager to be a (albeit small) part of such an anticipated game was exciting, to say the least, and I happily agreed.

By far, the coolest part of the whole thing was the fact I was given access to a metric TON of concept art -- photos, digital paintings, concept sketches.

Now, at the time, I was in my 2nd year of medicine residency, and I was doing my first night-float month. So I basically spent every night either A) working on the theme on my tablet in the call room, or b) dealing with sick and, at times, critically ill patients. It was an interesting juxtaposition, to say the least.

After pouring over the materials supplied to me, I decided that the 'usual' approach to creating elements for this theme was too simplistic. From the outset, this looked like game of the year material, just going by how much thought went into their research, and what work they'd already done translating that into the game world.

Seriously, I actually find it difficult to express how the concept art that NDI created was truly awesome, and I felt that it not only needed to be incorporated into whatever the final theme became, my own art needed to capture that style as closely as possible. That in mind, I came to the decision that every element I created would need to be painted in the same "concept art" style. Screw the 'traditional' icon set; Everything in this theme needed to reference SOMETHING in the game that the players would be familiar with.

So I set about finding elements in the pages and pages of art that was supplied to me that would best represent the essential functions of the PS3 UI. I've included some shots of my work below. These samples are actually re-sized from the originals, which were generally rather huge. I tried to make sure that each icon I came up with was a digital painting unto itself:

The final design page was so large, in fact, I had to start breaking up the file because it was too much for my old tablet to handle. Regardless, there was no shortage of interesting elements to incorporate. After alot of work, it finally came together:

After the theme was completed (after 3-4 months of work, in fact) things entered a holding pattern. The team was far too busy with the game's announcement, the first demonstration, the press stuff, and the frenzy up to launch. As such, things kind of fell by the wayside. So it kind of sat there--

Which brings me back to today--with Arne's help, we're going to go ahead an put the finished theme file up for it's first ever distribution, in celebration of the game's many GAME OF THE YEAR awards. Honestly, I feel this is the best theme work I've ever created; I haven't been motivated to do anything since, as I was always waiting for this sucker to launch.

At this point, I'm working to make this sucker as compliant with the current PS3 firmware as possible, Though some icons are just not editable. I'm also updating the wallpapers which will be included with it.

I will keep this post updated as the launch of the theme draws closer. There are some big updates coming to the game in the next few days. Keep your eyes on (Arne's) official blog at http://www.naughtydog.com/blog/ for the announcement and release!
Last edited by m0dus; 06-23-2013 at 08:39 PM.
noisome07
Banned
(02-12-2010, 04:49 AM)
Holy. Fuck.
LiK
(02-12-2010, 04:49 AM)
beautiful, keep us posted
TheChewyWaffles
(02-12-2010, 04:50 AM)
Sweet!
Shao Kahn Brewing a Stew
lapdance transform pants
(02-12-2010, 04:50 AM)
*bows*

Wowwwww! Looking great!!!
enewtabie
(02-12-2010, 04:51 AM)
Very nice. Props to you. The best I did with a theme was make one with a pic of my son in it.
WrenchNinja
m0dus, I love you.

That is so awesome.
Eggo
GameFan Alumnus
Congrats, man. It looks great. I can't wait to download and use it.
shwimpy
Holy shit... that looks incredible.
Brinbe
(02-12-2010, 04:52 AM)
Looks great =)
m0dus
(02-12-2010, 04:52 AM)
Holy crap. that felt good.

I just wanted to get it out there that's is coming, eventually. Call it the light at the end of the tunnel.
nskinnear
Best Buy is my bitch
(02-12-2010, 04:53 AM)
Holy shit, that's awesome.
gstaff
Bethesda Community Lead
What everyone else is saying....looks really good.
GoodMorning
:o awesome
Roofy
wow that looks really awesome
badcrumble
(02-12-2010, 04:54 AM)
That's goddamn gorgeous. I thought I'd never want a non-dynamic theme moving forward... I was wrong.
XiaNaphryz
LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
(02-12-2010, 04:55 AM)
m0dus proves once again why he is teh awesome. :D

Which reminds me, I need to pick up more of your Forza designs later. :P
MidnightScott
Banned
Wow Good job. :o
vicissitudes
Banned
Whoa that's amazing. Good work.
Majine
Shit.

By the way, I heard from the guy who made the Aniom themes that firmware 3.20 will include more icons. Just a tip.
LiK
(02-12-2010, 04:56 AM)

Originally Posted by m0dus

Holy crap. that felt good.

I just wanted to get it out there that's is coming, eventually. Call it the light at the end of the tunnel.

this theme better not cause a YLOD or i'm coming for you!
VOOK
We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
(02-12-2010, 04:56 AM)
Looks good, but would prefer one with Chloe's ass. :D
LiK
(02-12-2010, 04:57 AM)

Originally Posted by VOOK

Looks good, but would prefer one with Chloe's ass.

m0dus, GAF exclusive, make it happen.
mgviperman
m0dus does it again. Excellent work dude.
m0dus
Seriously, I went crazy with it.

This is how big each raw icon painting was (at least:)

[IMG]http://i45.************/a4wzs6.jpg[/IMG]
badcrumble
(02-12-2010, 04:58 AM)
m0dus, did you remember a TV icon for the regions that have it (like for BBC iPlayer)?

Originally Posted by Majine

Shit.

By the way, I heard from the guy who made the Aniom themes that firmware 3.20 will include more icons. Just a tip.

Uh huh, when is it coming?
rj118
(02-12-2010, 04:58 AM)
It's things like this that make me really want to buy a PS3.
G00SE
(02-12-2010, 04:59 AM)
=O Amazing!
Grady Durden
(02-12-2010, 05:00 AM)

Can we have this as an option also? :D
TheThunder
(02-12-2010, 05:01 AM)
looks great, Hopefully releasing soon.

Great job.
Schrade
The Amiga Brotherhood
It must have just torn you up inside not being able to talk about the game and how awesome its assets were.

Fucking awesome job doing the game justice with your theme. I am wowed.

I'd prefer Elena's ass, please. She's more scrumptious.
bernardobri
Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason

DAT THEME
pr0cs
(02-12-2010, 05:02 AM)
awesome work, that must been such a blast to get access to all those pieces
great stuff m0dus!
m0dus
(02-12-2010, 05:03 AM)

Originally Posted by Schrade

It must have just torn you up inside not being able to talk about the game and how awesome its assets were.

Fucking awesome job doing the game justice with your theme. I am wowed.

I lost my mind a little.
Nonoriri
If your name is Nonoriri you have to go buy Nanami's tampons.
:O Hot damn, looks amazing!
GQman2121
Banned
Brilliant job. It's looks so refined. Bravo!
Replicant
There's a duck in the room
There's a duck i-OWWWW
(02-12-2010, 05:04 AM)
Holy shit. That sure looks good.
Treb
Wow, awesome work!
LiK

Originally Posted by m0dus

I lost my mind a little.

this was tougher than your Forza 3 masterpieces?
Odious Tea
(02-12-2010, 05:05 AM)
Want. Badly.
G00SE
I wonder if Sony will release the coding to make custom dynamic themes? M0dux get on that!
Agent X
Very impressive!
Kagari
Crystal Bearer
I said wow. :O AMAZING theme.
VOOK
We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
(02-12-2010, 05:06 AM)

Originally Posted by Schrade

I'd prefer Elena's ass, please. She's more scrumptious.

Both!
Raging Spaniard
If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Congrats Modus, these came out great and your passion for the art is evident by the double duty youre putting on everynight.
Majine

Originally Posted by badcrumble

Uh huh, when is it coming?

Nothing more was revealed, but you can read it here

Originally Posted by Nevada

Hello there!
I'll get straight to the questions:

Yes, there will be new versions of the Aniom series, but these will be released after 3.20 due to additional icons planned for this firmware. I'd estimate that the updated Aniom series will be available here within a couple of days of the 3.20 release, which should be sometime in the middle of February.

Additionally, with the release of 3.20, SDTV versions will become possible (for people who do not own HDTV's, the current themes don't support SDTV so the background image doesn't show.)

Xuriga (the theme you linked to) is having a bit of a rework due to contrast issues I'm finding between different monitors - but I will try to have it complete in time to accompany the Aniom series update too!

Hope that helps!

LiK

Both!

and Sully's 'stache....mmmmm
m0dus
(02-12-2010, 05:07 AM)

Originally Posted by G00SE

I wonder if Sony will release the coding to make custom dynamic themes? M0dux get on that!

Don't hold your breath ;p

And Arne seriously gets some solid props too--he supplied me with all the reference material I could ask for. It took more than a week to sort through everything.
arne
(02-12-2010, 05:07 AM)
:D

i've had this up on my dev kit at work during each iteration.

Originally Posted by G00SE

you basically need a dev kit to make one from what i've seen. the tools are really complex, but in a good way. the motorstorm and wipeout dynamic themes boggle my mind.