• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 3 | Official Thre

Vard

2mo4fhe.jpg

Title: Yakuza 3
Japanese Title: Ryu ga Gotoku 3
Release Date: 3/9/2010 (NA). 3/12/2010 (EU). 2/26/2009 (Japan).
Genre: Action-Adventure / Kazuma Kiryu Simulator
Platform: PlayStation 3
Publisher: SEGA
Developer: Amusement Vision / CS1 Team
Official Websites: US | JP
Wiki Page: EN
Price: $54.95 USD at most retailers
Rating: M

Boxarts: JP | US
23rthk4.jpg

Alt boxart (by a1m) | Alt boxart (by Noisepurge)
Alt "GIF" (by Vespa) | Alt "Merge" (by foomfoom415)

Story
Yakuza 3 begins right where Yakuza 2 left off and takes place two years later. Kazuma and Haruka have moved to Okinawa, wanting to live a more peaceful life and leave the chaos of the city behind. There, they opened an orphanage known as Asagao.

The peace doesn't last forever, however, when a buyout of the surrounding land threatens to shut down the orphanage.... perhaps fueled by some political motive. These events, in addition to shootings in both Okinawa and Kamiyacho once again force Kazuma into a series of dangerous situations. As he sets out to find out why this is happening, he discovers a man who witnessed both murders...

Localization
  • Audio: Original Japanese audio with English subtitles.
  • Trophies: 5 trophies have been removed for the Western release. 2 of the Bronze trophies have been upranked to Silver.
  • Content: Some side-missions and mini-games have been cut for the Western release. See the Wiki entry for more info.
  • DLC: Almost all of the Japanese DLC is making it over to the West. Please read the Wiki entry for more info.
  • Demo: Available as of 2/18/2010

Trophies
There are a total of 45 trophies in the Western release. The list can be seen HERE.

Media

EN Trailers:

JP Trailers:

JP TV Spots:

Screenshots [JP version]:
R1.jpg
R2.jpg
R3.jpg
R4.jpg
R5.jpg
R6.jpg

Reviews [JP version]
Famitsu: 9/10/9/10
Dengeki: 95/90/100/90
GameRankings (aggregate): 84%
Metacritic (aggregate): 83%

Reviews [EN version]
Eurogamer: 8/10
CVG: 9/10
IGN UK: 8.5/10
1UP: A-
GameSpot: 8.0/10

Thanks
Kagari [Ryu ga Gotoku 3 Thread]

Edgeward

Nice.

I wonder if the Mahjong, Shogi trophies were cut because the content itself was cut or Sega didn't want to be forcing players to play stuff that "wouldn't resonate" with them. I hope it's the latter, because I determined to learn both after hearing how some players actually learned how to play the games with Yakuza 2.

And I can't even play this till the week after it's released. Stupid trip. =(

Rapping Granny said:
Are they really serious about using that boxart? :lol

What a joke of a company.
Maybe the OP should include the superior printable box art.

And off-topic: I never knew Arnie had such monstrous side boob.

Dennis

Banned
This game and Demon's Souls are must-buy-PS3-console games. So excited for this. Oh, and the cover art really is ridiculously bad.

shwimpy

Looking forward to this game moreso than FF13. I'm just glad I'll finally be able to play whatever Sega decided to localize. :D Barring a miracle, it'll probably be the last one of the series too. =(

Vard

I NEED SCISSORS said:
Maybe the OP should include the superior printable box art.
It's already in there! :D In the boxart section I linked to a few GAFfer-made boxarts.

Also, regarding the thread title, I didn't want us to keep reminding ourselves that some content is non-existent. :( I'm hoping most of us can get over that fact once we start punching thugs in the face!

dallow_bg

nods at old men
The game will still be bad ass.

As I said before, even though Sega of America sucks, our main man Kazuma Kiryu does not.

Fuzz Rez

Banned
Takuan said:
:lol That's not the official Western box art, right?

It is :(

Then again I don't really see the fuss it has caused. Sure it's ugly as hell but then again most of the time you are only going to see the spine part of it. What comes to game content they have only cut the parts I don't care so I'm set for this :) Bad for some people but not for me.

expy

Banned
I just finished playing the 2 demos (Yakuza 3 and Yakuza 4) and I actually might pick this up in the near future. It has its own kind of fun.

Takuan

Wow, I thought the OP put it in there as a joke. It's not going to prevent me from buying the game, eventually, but it's as though they want the game to fail miserably.

So GAF help me on this...

I love Japanese pop-culture, Yakuza and cheesy storytelling combined with brawling some dudes while lightning emanates from my body, but I'm allergic to clunky as fuck animation that a lot of Japanese games suffer from these days imo. Will I still be able to enjoy this?

vocab

Yak(uza cut out from my post to save time) 3! Man I really want to play this game, but Sega has really put me in a tough spot with the cuts. Price drop to $20 and it's mine.

Vek

StevePharma said:

I love Japanese pop-culture, Yakuza and cheesy storytelling combined with brawling some dudes while lightning emanates from my body, but I'm allergic to clunky as fuck animation that a lot of Japanese games suffer from these days imo. Will I still be able to enjoy this?
Have you tried the PSN demo? That'd be the best way to answer for yourself.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Not sure how I feel about this series.

I started playing Yak2 after the good buzz surrounding it, but it never quite sat right with me. Granted, I only played three-ish hours of it.

I'm not planning on buying this, but I may give it a try at some point down the line. I like that it's being released.

C-Jo

StevePharma said:

If this is a serious post, then no. I don't think you're capable of enjoying anything ever.

I was gonna pick this up at release but I think I'll wait until April. Pokémon comes out soon, and I know once I have those games in my hand I will drop every other game I was playing recently in favor of them.

But I'm definitely interested!

C-Jo said:
If this is a serious post, then no. I don't think you're capable of enjoying anything ever.

Yeah I was being serious, I played the first one but back then I could accept clunky animation more. This generation has spoiled me a bit with things like Uncharted and GTA IV, but hey I think I'll take the plunge. Still have a weakness for brawlers so why not...

C-Jo

StevePharma said:
Yeah I was being serious, I played the first one but back then I could accept clunky animation more. This generation has spoiled me a bit with things like Uncharted and GTA IV, but hey I think I'll take the plunge. Still have a weakness for brawlers so why not...
It seems like you'd enjoy pretty much everything about it. To let something like clunky animation prevent that... It just seems odd is all.

dekjo

Vard said:
It Means "Japanese Mafia 3"

There's nothing Mafia about playing UFO Catcher. Though enka karaoke is definitely up Tony Soprano's alley.

I'll probably get this eventually, but will wait until I have the time to play it.

hamchan

I'm probably gonna buy this near release instead of my former bargain bin plan, since I'm afraid there won't be much stock left a few months down the road.
Ditching my playthrough of the Japanese version for the English version, even with all the cut things. Also replaying the first two games. The first games VA was pretty damn bad :lol

:lol @ Western release box art. Maybe i'll just copy and print the Japanese box art put it over the English one.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
Playing the first game for the first time, and I think its pretty cool. Lots of stuff do do, and the story is pretty interesting. My one complaint is that the upgrades don't seem very significant. When I upgrade I like to feel like im twice the man that I once was, and the upgrades here don't do that for me.

Currently looking for dog food to feed a stupid puppy. Poppo has cat food but not dog food? bs japan.

vocab

FootNinja said:
Playing the first game for the first time, and I think its pretty cool. Lots of stuff do do, and the story is pretty interesting. My one complaint is that the upgrades don't seem very significant. When I upgrade I like to feel like im twice the man that I once was, and the upgrades here don't do that for me.

Currently looking for dog food to feed a stupid puppy. Poppo has cat food but not dog food? bs japan.

Most of the significant upgrades you get in the first game is through training with this old guy.

Darkman M

Bring it, im still pissed that the shit company known as sega cut content, for us dumb Americans, but im bored and have nothing to play right now. This game is gonna flop harder then a 500lb man smacking a pool, so no real need for me to show my disgust by waiting on the bargain.:lol

Everytime I see that boxart I die a little more inside, doesn't help the fact that the OP has it right next to vastly superior works :(

I'm looking forward to playing this at some point but I won't be buying it straight away. Bizarrly the Yakuza 4 demo got me more pumped for this game than Y3's demo itself.

Replicant

Darkman M said:
Bring it, im still pissed that the shit company known as sega cut content, for us dumb Americans, but im bored and have nothing to play right now. This game is gonna flop harder then a 500lb man smacking a pool, so no real need for me to show my disgust by waiting on the bargain.:lol

A few years ago at SEGA headquarters, Japan........

SEGA Exec 1:
Those barbaric westerners keep asking us to release "Ryuu ga Gotoku 3" in their country. What should we do? We can't say that this game is tailored specifically to our fellow Japanese's refined taste and culture. They can't possibly understand it.
SEGA Exec 2: Ignore them. What can they do? Probably just post on some lame message board begging for it.
SEGA Exec 3: We can't do that. It'd damage our company's international reputation......or whatever's left of it.
SEGA Exec 2: Oh, I know! Let's release it then but let's give them the UGLIEST cover we can come up with.
SEGA Exec 4: :lol Genius idea! Let's cover Kazuma's face with ratings or something and give it a tacky red background.
SEGA Exec 1: You guys are awesome! But that's not enough! What else can we do to screw them over?
SEGA Exec 4: Why don't we cut out contents from the game? Then we claim that we don't have enough time to translate those parts. Don't forget to mention that we want to bring the game to their country sooo much that we feel that it'd be better if we just release the game with cut contents.
SEGA Exec 1: What else? We need more ideas, people!!
SEGA Exec 3: Let's release it at the same time as other PS3 releases. That way it'd get ignored by most barbaric westerners. Say.....almost the same time as "FFXIII"?
SEGA Exec 2: Let's release "Resonance of Fate" around the same time as well.
SEGA Exec 3: *high five* That'd teach those damn dirty westerners some manners.
SEGA Exec 2: When "Ryuu ga Gotoku 4" comes out, they won't beg for "Yakuza 4" anymore. Hurr hurr.
SEGA Exec 1: You guys are getting a raise. Now, who's up for Bukkake?

thanks for the official thread!

I hope that by now everyone knows what has been cut and this doesn't turn into a clone of the (portions) of thread :D

And i also hope that my online retailer has gotten the US releasedate mixed up with our EU one and sends me my copy tomorrow!

onken

I really loved this game but man the trophies were absolute murder, if I get bored in the summer I might go back for them.

Empty said:
Game looks rad, but is it worth playing if you haven't even looked at the other two?

Yeah I'd say so. There's an optional recap section for both games right at the start.

hamchan

FootNinja said:
Don't think Ive reached that point yet, but I do look forward to it.

He's in Purgatory btw. Just telling you this since it's very easy to miss him and the battle system is pretty bad without the moves the old dude teaches you :lol .

Genius

Neo Member
I enjoyed the demo. Brutally beating the shit out of Japanese thugs and mobsters combined with golfing is probably the best game idea ever.

I'll be there, probably not Day 1 but I'll be there.

Rez said:
Not sure how I feel about this series.

I started playing Yak2 after the good buzz surrounding it, but it never quite sat right with me. Granted, I only played three-ish hours of it.

I'm not planning on buying this, but I may give it a try at some point down the line. I like that it's being released.

Have you played the Yakuza 3 demo? Honestly, full camera control, better controls and seamless battling added a lot to the series. The mutiple angle loading of Yakuza 2 pisses me off to be honest.

Playing the Yakuza 4 demo was a mistake. I should have waited until a few months after playing Yakuza 3 to play it through tears amidst bombing sales data and a complete collection of each and every "I'LL BUY IT AT BOMBA PRICE" GAF wanker posts.

Have there even been any reviews yet?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Did RubyEclipse/anyone at Sega ever officially respond to the "fuck you Sega" posts/comments?

I figure they wouldn't, but a little contrition would be nice...

Gattsu25

Banned
Replicant said:

SEGA Exec 1:
Those barbaric westerners keep asking us to release "Ryuu ga Gotoku 3" in their country. What should we do? We can't say that this game is tailored specifically to our fellow Japanese's refined taste and culture. They can't possibly understand it.
SEGA Exec 2: Ignore them. What can they do? Probably just post on some lame message board begging for it.
SEGA Exec 3: We can't do that. It'd damage our company's international reputation......or whatever's left of it.
SEGA Exec 2: Oh, I know! Let's release it then but let's give them the UGLIEST cover we can come up with.
SEGA Exec 4: :lol Genius idea! Let's cover Kazuma's face with ratings or something and give it a tacky red background.
SEGA Exec 1: You guys are awesome! But that's not enough! What else can we do to screw them over?
SEGA Exec 4: Why don't we cut out contents from the game? Then we claim that we don't have enough time to translate those parts. Don't forget to mention that we want to bring the game to their country sooo much that we feel that it'd be better if we just release the game with cut contents.
SEGA Exec 3: Let's release it at the same time as other PS3 releases. That way it'd get ignored by most barbaric westerners. Say.....almost the same time as "FFXIII"?
SEGA Exec 2: When "Ryuu ga Gotoku 4" comes out, they won't beg for "Yakuza 4" anymore. Hurr hurr.

Where's the joke and why are you so bitter?

Pre-ordered. Don't care about cut content. That shit was always a chore anyway. Now my OCD side won't feel the urge to play through that date-sim horse-shit. BRING ON THE KICK-AND-PUNCHY ACTION!

faridmon

Replicant said:

SEGA Exec 1:
:lol :lol :lol

mAcOdIn

firehawk12 said:
Did RubyEclipse/anyone at Sega ever officially respond to the "fuck you Sega" posts/comments?

I figure they wouldn't, but a little contrition would be nice...
Ehh, what would someone respond to "fuck you" with? "No, Fuck YOU?" Seems like a waste of time.

Sega made their decision, it is what it is. They could give us some BS line about how they'll never do it again or some shit but that could never be held up as any kind of fact, so there's just not much to say.

I'm still buying this. I am saddened by the loss of anything, maybe I'd have enjoyed Mahhjong(probably not) or a hostess club but even if I didn't I don't like the concept of cut shit because if it's not something I like being cut today then tomorrow it might be something cut I like. But still, not buying the game over that seems harsh to me unless I could read Japanese, because Sega would just use low sales as an indicator to not bother with 4 at all, not that they have to get 4 up to snuff.

Qaz Kwaz

Banned
I don't give a FUCK about the cut content, and I don't give a FUCK about the box art.

YAKUZA 3, BABY! Paid in full. I'm playing this bitch BEFORE FFXIII!

Top Bottom