• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS Announced: New 3D handheld (no glasses!), reveal @ E3, out by March 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kai Ozu said:
21km3pc.png

POKEMON 3D!!!!

!

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Tempy said:
Is it something like this DSi game?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jf8udkeVcVs

EDIT: Beaten. Beaten. Beaten.

No, it should be stereo 3D, rather than the parallax effect there. If it weren't, why the new hardware?

There seems to be 3 ways autostereo screens work - by directing the stereo images assuming a single viewing angle/position (perhaps reasonable with a portable?), by splitting resolution and directing the images to multiple viewing points around the screen, or by tracking the viewers eyes and directing the image precisely to the viewer's location.

All 3 would be possible, though I think #1 or #3 would be the most likely approaches here.

Mr.Wuggles

Neo Member
can you people imagine the bloody possibilities with this thing? my mind is racing. i really hope they realize the full potential of this thing.

imagine playing a game with primitive 2d sprites on this system - Final Fantasy 1, Dragon Quest 3, whatever. imagine encountering a slime in 2d dragon quest - the slime, the background behind the slime, and the menu are all different "layers". it would be an absolutely amazing 3d effect.

imagine playing a paper mario game - all of the paper cut outs having different "layers".

if 3d really means what we think it means, this system should have amazing looking 2d games. please dont let us down nintendo.

Mdk7

i already want it, fuck. :lol

Anyway i'm really surprised by the timing of this announcement... why now and not directly at E3??

Yoboman

Stop It said:
Hmm.

*looks at date*

Well, this could be legit but...

*looks at date again*

Something tells me this will end hilariously, said hilarity due in around..8 days time?
April fools over a week before April starts by Nintendo themselves? Yeah...no

quetz67

Banned
Gamer @ Heart said:
Of course they are going to throw an accelerometer in there. It would be silly if they didnt at this point. Now the iphone doesnt have much to stand out at that point.
Probably they wont put in any motion detection. The 3D screens right now need a fixed viewing angle, so turning/tilting the device would probably kill the 3D.

Lets start throwing make believe wish list launch titles out there: PART 2

SUPER SMASH BROS MELEE R3DUX

LUIGI'S MANSION: FUN HOUSE

PILOT WINGS: BLUE HORIZON (using accelerometer)

SHITTY UBISOFT GAME

MADDEN NFL 2011 3D EDITION

ROGUE SQUADRON: ROGUE LEADER: REBELLION: SEMI COLON

STAR FOX: DIMENSIONS

DEAD PHOENIX: RISE FROM THE GRAVE

lol

neorej

ERMYGERD!
rjcc said:
3d on a handheld is far different from a TV.

unless you watch TV from one spot right in front of it, one person at a time and never move, and don't mind losing detail.

also, there already laptops out with these kinds of screens, they're not completely ahead of the curve, although we'll really have to wait and see exactly what it is to know.

Not to mention the way smaller screen on a handheld, which reduces costs for producing 3Dscreens.

Grooski

Banned
Where the bloody hell did this come from??? Talk about out of the blue....

I've said it before and I'll say it again, E3 is going to be EPIC

vulva

Gamer @ Heart said:
Lets start throwing make believe wish list launch titles out there:

SUPER SMASH BROS MELEE R3DUX

LUIGI'S MANSION: FUN HOUSE

PILOT WINGS: BLUE HORIZON (using accelerometer)

SHITTY UBISOFT GAME

MADDEN NFL 2011 3D EDITION
STARTROPICS 3D: RETURN TO CORALCOLA

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Mr.Wuggles said:
can you people imagine the bloody possibilities with this thing? my mind is racing. i really hope they realize the full potential of this thing.
I know. Just thinking about what could be done is mind boggling. What's more exciting is that we know that Nintendo's handhelds get a lot of very good support so I can see a lot of new fresh experiences being made. I can't wait for more information and E3. It's definitely going to be exciting.

Pinaccle

Banned
Mdk7 said:
i already want it, fuck. :lol

Anyway i'm really surprised by the timing of this announcement... why now and not directly at E3??

Zelda Wii

Power Wii

Nintendo 3DS

There will be enough to let us fap after E3 :D

Smash88

Banned
I'm going to wait for reviews and people's opinions on this before I pour my money into this. I am quite content with my DSi.

Not a fan of the 3D, especially when you are in motion, seems nauseating.

Yoboman

Mr.Wuggles said:

imagine playing a game with primitive 2d sprites on this system - Final Fantasy 1, Dragon Quest 3, whatever. imagine encountering a slime in 2d dragon quest - the slime, the background behind the slime, and the menu are all different "layers". it would be an absolutely amazing 3d effect.

imagine playing a paper mario game - all of the paper cut outs having different "layers".

if 3d really means what we think it means, this system should have amazing looking 2d games. please dont let us down nintendo.
Wow 3D sprites...Amazing idea, a developer really needs to do that.

Imagine playing this thing on long road trips!

It'd be like a DS on long roadtrips... But 3D!

Instro

The 3D aspect combined with the accelerometers is probably what gives the full effect, in any case those two combined are going to be amazing for games.

If the other rumored specs are true the only thing left that I really want is improved online.

Could be very interesting indeed. Glad I didn't buy any DS revision/ripoff, my trusty DS fat will suffice until the 3DS comes out.

Now what will the PSP2 offer? I guess 3D will be a must now, not just because of the 3DS but because of Sony's commitment to 3D across their product line.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
It's like, just when you think "new" experiences are over...

OK, we got used to the analog stick and 3D games, what's next?

OK, we got used to touch screens, what's next?

OK, we got used to motion control, what's next?

3D is next, that's what!

mutsu

LOL, remember that image when the Nintendo DS was first announced with 2 screens, people were imagining that it will be used to create a floating 3D image? Well something like this is about to happen!

upandaway

I wake up, get a weird feeling, check the internet, see nothing.

I go to school, come back, see this shit.

FUCK YEAH I DIDN'T BUY A DSi. OH GOD

Smash88 said:
I'm going to wait for reviews and people's opinions on this before I pour my money into this. I am quite content with my DSi.

Not a fan of the 3D, especially when you are in motion, seems nauseating.
It's not just another DS. This is reported as being its successor, meaning, better graphics possibly Gamecube like.

It's a new handheld not another GBA Micro.

Zzoram

I hope the 3DS also packs a processor and GPU powerful enough to look better than the PSP, if it's a successor and not just another iteration.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Provider said:
Yeah, like Nintendo's official website is gonna do that.
Because large organisations have NEVER played jokes before, no, never.
Gomu Gomu said:
It's an official PR man from the mother site. come on :lol .
A major console announcement made by online PDF, this doesn't ring alarm bells with..anyone? seriously? Ok, I must be the only cynic on GAF.
Andrex said:
The real April Fool's will have them saying this was the April Fool's joke.

Then the next day the punk us and say it's real again.
:lol :lol :lol

You never know, this may be real, and if so, this will be huge. But Nintendo spoiling their own E3 gigaton randomly on the interwebs instead of holding a press conference? Guys, please don't be shocked if this turns out to be a joke.

God i hope this takes off here immediately. US developers have been incredibly lame when it comes to any kind of handheld game innovation. it usually the japanese that make anything interesting or new

This HAS to be why we haven't seen jack shit for the new Pokemon game out at the end of this year or why we haven't gotten any info about WTF is so new and different about it to make the devs gosh about it's innovations for the first time in the series . . .

"But they said it was for the DS in that vague ass reveal!"
Da fuck outta here, they have been saying no DS2 soon for how long? Hell, Iwata just lol at a 3D Wii not too long ago (because of how the image would look to people not wearing glasses but still, for him to pop out a 3DS after that is very funny IMO). This is the New Nintendo . . . randomly revealing shit and saying anything to prep you for that random reveal.

*Waits for Pokemon gen 5 media . . . when ever the hell they plan on showing any so that we can see if its for 3DS or DS.

Mael

mutsu said:
LOL, remember that image when the Nintendo DS was first announced with 2 screens, people were imagining that it will be used to create a floating 3D image? Well something like this is about to happen!

Wait a minute..... So it's the 2 screens that are 3D too?
we really know to much or not enough

patrickthehedgehog said:
This is kind of genus because they can re-release all of their games AGAIN, but with 3D. With that thought, I knew this had to be real.
Wait, so I can play Zelda Spirit Tracks in 3D? Don't you think 3DS software would have to be exclusive to the new hardware with separate technology?

Like all those DSi-exclusive games....oh wait! Never mind! :lol

markot

Banned
They didnt announce it at E3 cause they dont want to overload everyone. Announce the 3d now, then the games and hardware at e3.

Zzoram

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
It's not just another DS. This is reported as being its successor, meaning, better graphics possibly Gamecube like.

It's a new handheld not another GBA Micro.

My goodness, Nintendo's handheld and console will have equal graphical power! Mind boggling!

The only thing that surprises me is that Nintendo tipped their hand this early. Can't wait for Sony's 3D handheld announcement now, so we can hear all about how a 3d portable system should be done to begin with. :p

I'm pretty curious to see how the 3D actually looks/works in person.

Zzoram said:
My goodness, Nintendo's handheld and console will have equal graphical power! Mind boggling!
I also can't wait to hear all 20,000,000 variations of this stupid joke.

Hah! For 5 years I've been ridiculed for calling this shot, and today, it turns out I was right all along. Screw the haters and non-believers, shit just got real.

Zzoram

If it's a joke, it should be made into reality anyways. Clearly this idea is too good to pass up. If Nintendo doesn't actually have a 3DS to sell in a year's time, I'm sure Sony will poach the idea for PSP2, copying Nintendo as always.

Instro

Well doesnt the upcoming Coro Coro have info on the next Pokemon? Its possible they decided to tip their hand earlier because of that preview.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom