• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sack Lather: Sony exec confirms LBP2, supports Move

Lock if old, search hasn't yielded any results.

Via Eurogamer:

Eurogamer said:
Sony has confirmed the existence of LittleBigPlanet 2 and said the game will support the new PlayStation Move controller.

Sony Benelux's Folkert Langeveld spilled the beans to Tweakers.net (translated by Eurogamer Benelux), apparently unaware the game hadn't been officially revealed.

Nothing else was said about LittleBigPlanet 2 - a game the world had been expecting after Sony acquired developer Media Molecule earlier this month.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
If any game needed move, it's LBP with it's level editor. Having a cursor would make that stuff soooooo much easier.

Xater

BobsRevenge said:
If any game needed move, it's LBP with it's level editor. Having a cursor would make that stuff soooooo much easier.

That's what I thought after they showed the multi touch demo.

I wouldnt say 'confirmed' quite yet when we're dealing with someone I've never heard of before and the Move stuff has always been shown in LBP1 code. 'Execs' can often make just as many huge mistakes as messageboard posters.

Cornbread78

Yes, I love my sack, I can't wait to play a new one! And with Move.... Oh yeah!

(now if I only had time to finsh the last 9 levels f the old one):D

Suzzopher

I don't want this to be LBP2 another platformer, I would however be happy to see a LittleBigPlanet RPG with Move support would be fucking awesome. Using the wand to cast spells etc as well as using it for the creation of dungeons. Damn, I just set myself up for huge disappointment :lol

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Raist said:
There is no need for LBP2. Just keep updating the first one.
No, there's definitely a need for major new tools after the Move demonstrations by Dr. Marks last week. Imagine basically a click, drag, and resize interface. Level creation would be much easier.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
You see, this is why people shouldn't make statements like this:

Critical Gamer said:
Our extensive interview with Media Molecule – part one of which is to be published tomorrow (Thursday), with part two going live on Monday – covers a variety of subjects. When it came to the future of the LittleBigPlanet franchise on the PS3, they were decidedly unambiguous.

“I think what you’ve seen so far from LittleBigPlanet, that’s the way it’s going to continue.” said producer Martin Lynagh, referring to DLC and updates for the existing game.

Level designer Danny Leaver said that a sequel would fragment the LBP community. “We’d never want to do that. That’d be the most counterproductive thing you could do I think.” he said.

Media Molecule have given what is surely the most dedicated post – launch community support in the history of video games, and such dismissal of a sequel should serve to reassure fans still further.
Source: http://www.criticalgamer.co.uk/2009...ould-be-counterproductive-say-media-molecule/

Garjon

Accidental announcements? Mysterious leaks? Anonymous rumours? E3 must be sooner than I thought :)

Also, great news if true; this game could make me invest in a Move controller. (Key emphasis on 'could')

^With the Mm buyout, I wouldn't bet too much on that still being true.

Ranger X

BobsRevenge said:

lol no.
Drawing in the air with no resistance is NOTHING like a pen and it's actually worse than moving vertices. sorry :)

----------------

Also, I knew they would pull off LBP2. There was too many signs already:

-The Move gameplay they shown would have fragmented the community, something no DLC ever did. Seemless DLC was a prime feature of LBP.

-Noticeable slowdown in updates, DLC and annoucements for LBP.

-Sony buying Media Molecule.

-Media Molecule not fixing the mess that the community side of the game became.

Goldrusher

I don't know how this thing could work in a simple platformer.

BobsRevenge said:
Why not simply allow the use of a mouse ? If anything, the sticks are already much more precise than drawing in thin air.

Danielsan

iceatcs said:
Well it is already motion-control game.
I know and it makes sense in that regard but on the hand.
Why put in the effort to patch in an entire new means of motion control when the original motion control works flawlessly.

I hope it's handled by some in-house Sony team and not by That Game Company itself.
They shouldn't allocate their time on anything but their new game. :D

savor100

The game needs vast work in the controls, online needs to get fixed, and please get rid of the different 'layers' (going 'in' and 'out' of the screen).

If they fix all the issues I'll buy it day one considering the PS Move can add so much to the game.

iceatcs

Danielsan said:
I know and it makes sense in that regard but on the hand.
Why put in the effort to patch in an entire new means of motion control when the original motion control works flawlessly.

I hope it's handled by some in-house Sony team and not by That Game Company itself.
I believe that you could do in one day, but the QA test cause so many time waste.

But yes, I'm rather someone to handle it not That Game Company.

Danielsan said:

They work with Sony Santa Monica on their games so if anyone implemented it other than TGC it would probably be them. We aren't getting a new TGC game this year anyway, so it probably wouldn't throw them off their schedule much if they did implement it on their own.

Danielsan

Raist said:
I'd wish I could agree.
I really like LittleBigPlanet but it's tremendously flawed.
Which is logical consider it was their first attempt and it was a huge undertaking.

-LittleBigPlanet 2 desperately needs a vastly improved netcode.
The lag in LBP is ridiculous and really hurts the game as it becomes near impossible to enjoy a 4 player online game.
-The level distribution system is far from efficient. The way levels are made available really needs improvement.
-The editing tools are great but improved user friendliness and more features wouldn't hurt.
- Add a creature editor (think spore).
-The feel of the gameplay could use tweaking. My main issue with the game is that the gameplay doesn't feel rewarding. It's too loose, too unpredictable. In a way that's part of the charm but I quickly lost interest.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Nirolak said:
You see, this is why people shouldn't make statements like this:

Source: http://www.criticalgamer.co.uk/2009...ould-be-counterproductive-say-media-molecule/

The context of this keeps getting misconstrued.

If you read the full interview:

“We’d never fragment the community.” asserts Danny. So that means we’ll never see another LittleBigPlanet disc, because that would create two sets of LBP players who couldn’t share with one another? “We’d never want to do that. That’d be the most counterproductive thing you could do I think.”

The question was of whether they'd fragment the community, whether a sequel would fragment the community into two sets that weren't linked, not whether there'd be a sequel. Nothing they said in that interview, taken in the correct context, speaks against a sequel per se, but against fragmentation of the community.

There was an interview last summer, on video, where Mark Healey and one of the other MM founders were asked straight up if they were working on a (disc-based) sequel, and their answer was far more telling.

http://www.vg247.com/2009/07/30/hello-littlebigplanet-bosses-are-you-working-on-a-sequel/

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
How about they focus on fixing LBP's shitty gameplay, first.

Meh :(

I hope he's just referring to a patched version of LBP.

Really want to see MM do something completely different. If anything didn't need a sequel, it was LBP. And no, not even a 3D sequel. It was a complete package in every way, with the community helping to provide the expanded experiences.

So much talent crammed in to such a small studio at MM, really can't wait to see what else they can do.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Danielsan said:
I'd wish I could agree.
I really like LittleBigPlanet but it's tremendously flawed.
Which is logical consider it was their first attempt and it was a huge undertaking.

-LittleBigPlanet 2 desperately needs a vastly improved netcode.
The lag in LBP is ridiculous and really hurts the game as it becomes near impossible to enjoy a 4 player online game.
-The level distribution system is far from efficient. The way levels are made available really needs improvement.
-The editing tools are great but improved user friendliness and more features wouldn't hurt.
- Add a creature editor (think spore).
-The feel of the gameplay could use tweaking. My main issue with the game is that the gameplay doesn't feel rewarding. It's too loose, too unpredictable. In a way that's part of the charm but I quickly lost interest.

All those can be fixed in patches though. Or a large DLC addon moving the game to 2.0. Nothing you suggest cannot be added.

Many games patch better netcode in. And I think the "feel" that some people dislike is the physics at work, and something like tweakable gravity settings can help give some the "precise" movement they want. People expect Mario's precise and predictable jump arcs and distances but LBP was made purposely not like that.

I would rather get a large $20-$30 mega patch than have to buy a whole new game and potentially fragment the userbase.

And I like your ideas and would add ladders, magnetic boots or fields (think walk on the ceiling), teleporters, proper container flow water, fire and ice "guns" that freeze and melt, and forced layering (think player one is stuck on layer one, two on two) so we can make neat races.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Here's hoping for a web portal to queue up levels (see a level you like on a message board and click their link to queue it up, similar to Netflix). They mentioned doing this over a year ago. :-(

Also would like the ability to designate a level's gravity. Make the difference between floaty traditional LBP and oh, I don't know...Mario Bros.

MrPliskin

Banned
Raist said:

I don't agree.

I think there is room for improvement with LBP, specifically relating to the platforming. Simply making sackboy heavier while maintaining his jump properties could help to eliminate some of the floaty behavior.

I think there are gameplay tweaks they could make, and introducing them in LBP simply isn't possible as it would break every level published. LBP2 is welcome (not to mention they can't make THAT much money off of DLC alone).

Trevelyan

Banned
AndyD said:
I would rather get a large $20-$30 mega patch than have to buy a whole new game and potentially fragment the userbase.

I really feel that LBP is the kind of game where everyone will migrate to the next iteration of, and no fragmenting of said user base will occur.

YYZ

Dacvak said:
How about they focus on fixing LBP's shitty gameplay, first.
Not shitty, it just needs proper gravity. I don't know if they can do that without making a proper sequel.

LBP2 is fantastic news. I'd be all for them just adding content for LBP, but so far we've only got the MGS4 and Pirates map packs which is ridiculous considering it's been two years. Yes, I know, community focus blah blah, but the bottom line is I find it too tiresome to try and find decent user-made levels, and when I do they're never as good as the ones MM do.

Can't wait. Don't really care about Move support, though.

Foliorum Viridum said:
when I do they're never as good as the ones MM do.

That's my problem with the game too, the MM levels are so good that the user created levels feel like shit :lol

What I would like in the next LBP would be an option to tweak the physics and the feeling of the character. It's nice to have tons of Mario, Sonic and Megaman levels in there, but it would be nice if there was an option to make Sackboy controls like these characters too. :D

But then again, maybe people who fuck it up so much that most levels would be terrible :lol

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
RockmanWhore said:
That's my problem with the game too, the MM levels are so good that the user created levels feel like shit :lol
There are some really good levels by users like, stuff that is ridiculously polished and fun.

The only problem is that when you startup the game somehow all the "popular levels" are broken levels that consist of a picture that says "Pokemon!" with the end point 20 seconds in. The amount of crap levels were just ridiculous and how they managed to be the "top" levels is beyond my comprehension.

Even then, early on the top levels adored by sites consisted of almost no gameplay, just well timed sounds and effects. (I'm trying my best not to name names) My major gripe with the game is that the best levels were tucked away on fansites and message boards and I'm far too lazy to go home and search for them.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Y'know, this makes sense. I'll wait out on buying the first game and get this one instead. Building stuff with a pointer interface = win.

MrPliskin

Banned
The LBP tools are super easy to use and build with...all this pointer talk makes me believe none of you have even tried to create anything.

Top Bottom