• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sack Lather: Sony exec confirms LBP2, supports Move

mr_nothin

Banned
TTP said:
Are levels still composed of 3 layers? More perhaps?
It'd be really cool if we could decide exactly how many layers....hell, maybe no "layers" at all and free roam between any "layer" at any time ;)

That's being optimistic though

gofreak said:
I can only add one bit of info I heard very very reliably, and that is that it's not coming this year. Early next.

I think it would be a perfect May game. Something in the Spring to sit down and get stuck into. Will probably be earlier than that though.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Crisis said:
Sure. Quality-wise is is very, very close to the first game. However this is not even close to true of all the screenshots of the levels. Things look far less rudimentary in the levels this time around. One thing that I am genuinely liking and I hope is transferring to all the other user-creation tools is how the game shows you what commands are assigned to what microchips. Best way to explain it is to have you think of what happens when you press on a link on the iPhone. It blows up the microchip's commands with a little transparent, green comic-book style speech bubble part at the bottom pointing to the microchip it represents.

Sackbot templates start as a square-ish version of Sackboy with no faces. They resemble a wooden puppet very much. There are all kinds of various lighting effects on display. My favorite one (because it's so unique) is the 8-bit pixel Apple II-style lighting. You'll see what I mean by that when your issue gets in.

Damn I so want to see that :O

Crisis

Banned
gofreak said:
I can only add one bit of info I heard very very reliably, and that is that it's not coming this year. Early next.

The article has a byline that states the game is shipping later this year.

kevm3

One thing I'm excited to hear about is they are actually addressing the creation of 'creatures' with the sackbot. Hopefully it is robust.

gofreak said:
Direct control seat is such a simple and perfect solution.

No, you can't change SACKBOY's controls - would be weird, his mechanics changing all the time - but create YOUR OWN CHARACTER with its own physics/controls, made just for your level.
Yep. That provides the perfect solution for full backwards compabitility with LBP1 levels while fixing the floaty physics for those who didn't like it.

I'm hoping there'll be a Rock Band 2-style import of all the LBP1 story levels so I can only have to insert one disc.

Chris_C

It all sounds great. I have to admit though I wish they'd got rid of the 3planes, or at least allow the creator the option to creating assets (for backgrounds) in 3 planes but limiting gameplay to just 2.

Crisis

Banned
Oh and for all the people asking this I think I included it in the mega-post but it's a mega-post. The three-plane style from the first game is making a return in this one.

Crisis said:
- There is an all-new level creator and it is not just a tool to create platform games.
- As examples, the game 100% encourages the player to create game types and wants you to make a shooter, a racer, puzzle games, Space Invaders clones, even RPGs
- A player can even customize a HUD. The example given is a health bar for a fighting game.
- A Media Molecule developer has created a fully-functioning Command & Conquer Clone

Holy shit, that sounds incredible, they're pretty much just letting you make any type of game you want?

Can you make 3D platformers and stuff, or FPS stuff (that'd be weird) or is it still all in 2D?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Chris_C said:
It all sounds great. I have to admit though I wish they'd got rid of the 3planes, or at least allow the creator the option to creating assets (for backgrounds) in 3 planes but limiting gameplay to just 2.

But you can limit anyway by just creating your own character, attach a Control Seat to it and omit any input which would allow that character to walk between layers.

I guess... :lol

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Crisis said:

o_0

I trust where I heard what I heard. This year seems too ambitious anyway...I still remember how the original LBP was due in 07 or whatever... ;)

TSAGoodness said:
Can you make 3D platformers and stuff, or FPS stuff (that'd be weird) or is it still all in 2D?

Sounds like it's still the 2.5D approach. But because of the other tools, you can treat the view as not just being from a side-on perspective, but top-down if you wanted aswell. But not an arbitrary 3D camera, no.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
gofreak said:
o_0

I trust where I heard what I heard. This year seems too ambitious anyway...I still remember how the original LBP was due in 07 or whatever... ;)

They will release the game by the end of this year. Then, as a tradition, they will promptly pull it off the shelves and re-release it in 2011. :lol

Um, wow-- that actually sounds kind of awesome. I really appreciate that they have the gumption to evolve their idea and not just make LBP 1.5 which they so, so easily could have done. Ironically, the fact that LBP2 is so different will probably help preserve the LBP1 community. Pretty genius.

Mrbob

Crisis said:

When is the Playstation Move coming out? It would make sense to have both out on the same day.

Rengoku

Unbelievable, I'm shocked. I never really thought LBP needed a sequel, and thought Sony was just trying to milk the franchise. But damn, all that info, sequel justified! I can't wait!

Chris_C

TTP said:
But you can limit anyway by just creating your own character, attach a Control Seat to it and omit any input which would allow that character to walk between layers.

I guess... :lol

True... but you press UP and DOWN to move in and out of layers in LBP, right? I haven't played in a while, so I can't remember. Also, there was quite a bit of auto-lane switching!

This news sort of makes me want to dust off LBP and finish that cave level I started 2 years ago...

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Chris_C said:
True... but you press UP and DOWN to move in and out of layers in LBP, right? I haven't played in a while, so I can't remember. Also, there was quite a bit of auto-lane switching!

This news sort of makes me want to dust off LBP and finish that cave level I started 2 years ago...

Yeah, but you can make it so that UP and DOWN do something else now.

As for the auto-lane switching... yeah, I don't know about that.

mr_nothin said:
So what I said about Mm having to basically hold back stuff from LBP1 because they had to use it for LBP2 was pretty much what was going on?
Haha, pretty much. They've been working on the sequel for a long time now, outside of all the "updates" they gave to the public.

The core gameplay is still pretty intact from what I remember, so don't expect any significant changes there.

As for the 3 layer thing in creation, I believe that still applies unless they've modified it recently.

I'll let you guys know more when I can. Excititng times, eh? :D

SappYoda

wizword said:
Can we make our own music?

- You are no longer limited to the game's stock sound effects. You can record your own sounds and voices, attaching them to characters or objects. Magic Mouth from the original LBP is gone

Maybe its possible using sounds.

Chris_C

What would be pretty neat would be if creators were able to export their creations to the PSN as executable PSN "Minis" that worked without the need for the LBP game disc itself (as opposed to just that akward to navigate planet setup in LBP1.

I know Sony is unlikely to go for something like that, but I think it'd help the popularity of the franchise if a wider audience could see what was possible with the game.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
OH, for what is worth, I have been told Mm is coding the whole online netcode internally this time (rather than having Sony monkeys do it). It's good news.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
donkey show said:
Haha, pretty much. They've been working on the sequel for a long time now, outside of all the "updates" they gave to the public.

The core gameplay is still pretty intact from what I remember, so don't expect any significant changes there.

As for the 3 layer thing in creation, I believe that still applies unless they've modified it recently.

I'll let you guys know more when I can. Excititng times, eh? :D

I was thinking lately about how Mm could have compensated the floaty jump issue without fiddling with the jump itself at all. The solution: add double jump as well as the ability to automatically grab on ledges and jump over them. These should mitigate the whole floaty jump-induced frustration...

Any info you can give us about that?

Majine

Banned
TTP said:
OH, for what is worth, I have been told Mm is coding the whole online netcode internally this time (rather than having Sony monkeys do it). It's good news.
Oh thank god. Maybe jumping in active games will not be as much of a pain the ass now.

Chris_C

TTP said:

Weird, you'd think Sony themselves would be better at writing netcode considering their experience with games like Uncharted 2, MAG etc.

The crappy online segment is pretty much what killed my interest in the first game.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Chris_C said:
Weird, you'd think Sony themselves would be better at writing netcode considering their experience with games like Uncharted 2, MAG etc.

This is the type of game that needs custom attention.

I had no idea the online code wasn't their own, but a lot of things start to make sense if that's the case. Not least how various things they intended to have (like the scores!) ended up not working out. That'd be suddenly more understandable if they were hamstrung by a set of code or infrastructure that wasn't intended initially.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Chris_C said:

The crappy online segment is pretty much what killed my interest in the first game.

Both Naughty Dog and Zipper (as well as Insomniac) developed their netcodes internally. When I say Sony code I mean... you know... PlayStation Home and stuff like that. SCEE stuff.

Chris_C

TTP said:
Both Naughty Dog and Zipper (as well as Insomniac) developed their netcodes internally. When I say Sony code I mean... you know... PlayStation Home and stuff like that. SCEE stuff.

Agreed, PlayStation Home is infuriating online.

gofreak said:
This is the type of game that needs custom attention.

I had no idea the online code wasn't their own, but a lot of things start to make sense if that's the case. Not least how various things they intended to have (like the scores!) ended up not working out. That'd be suddenly more understandable if they were hamstrung by a set of code or infrastructure that wasn't intended initially.

True.

Also, we need a thread merge.

J-Rzez

Wow, if they pull this off this game will just be flat out incredible. It's ambitious, but I believe these guys have a chance to pull it off with the additional backing I'm sure they're receiving this time around.

I'm really really impressed. I didn't expect it to add so much to the game from the first one.

Alf-Life

Oh my fucking God.....!! Awesomesauce!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love this, glad to see them reaching for the stars and basically making their dream game. I can only guess at where they'll go for a LBP3... :eek:

Pistolero

That is incredibly ambitious. But let us see how everything is implemented before screaming genius!
They mentionned upsilandre! Hahaha...Our beloved french pixel counter and LBP's number one mad inventor! :lol

Yeef

Crisis said:
- LBP 2 has less of a focus on platforming altogether and it's more of a platform to actually create games with
- There is an all-new level creator and it is not just a tool to create platform games.
- As examples, the game 100% encourages the player to create game types and wants you to make a shooter, a racer, puzzle games, Space Invaders clones, even RPGs
- A player can even customize a HUD. The example given is a health bar for a fighting game.​
LittleBigUniverse.

Everything sounds AMAZING.

ram

Pistolero said:
That is incredibly ambitious. But let us see how everything is implemented before screaming genius!

i`ll have to agree - that sounds absolute awesome, but lets wait and see. if they can make THAT game will all that stuff mentioned above, then its the agme of the forever.

Top Bottom