• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dolphin - Emulating Wii and Gamecube Games

Jintor

Can anyone help me out with this? Enjoying Skyward Sword a tonne, only thing is that the Motion Plus seems to lose detection for a second every 10 minutes or so, bringing up the nag prompt to reconnect the M+ and nunchuc which lasts for about 5 seconds and then goes away again. Oh, and calibrating it with 'point the controller at the centre of the screen' seems to be nearly impossible and has no relation to the actual detection of the controller while playing the actual game.

Okay, help me out with the calibration of the "Point the Wii Remote at the screen" bit guys, this thing is killing me.

jediyoshi

Okay, help me out with the calibration of the "Point the Wii Remote at the screen" bit guys, this thing is killing me.

If your sensor bar is below your screen, is your Sensor Bar position set to bottom, vice versa? Is the pointer showing up at all? I'm guessing the pointer isn't working altogether for any game?

Jintor

The sensor bar is offbrand, but the wiimote and motionplus are genuine. It's above my monitor.

The thing is that the only time that it's not sensing properly is at that calibration gate. In-game it works perfectly, more or less, but at the calibration gate it's as though the IR sensor range has shrunken ridiculously, often to like a 2cm patch of space directly in front of the sensorbar but not in the middle or anything.

I'm downloading some custom bluetooth drivers to see if that solves anything...

Sensor bar fully loaded?

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Thrakier said:
I'd say no. The CPU is way too weak.
Eh? That's a second gen-I7 - don't read too much into the clock speed, they are fast.

Not sure what is defined as "bigger" games either - my general experience with this emulator is that "popular" games work well, the less known ones - not so much(if at all), and it comes down to non-compatibility as much as performance.

Turrican3 said:
Well, I guess it won't hurt to give it a try anyway, at least I already know I'd better keep my expectations low.
I have a similar laptop (using R6670 GPU instead of NVidia) - at least as far as Mario/Zelda games are concerned, I have no problems running full speed.

Thrakier

The sensor bar is offbrand, but the wiimote and motionplus are genuine. It's above my monitor.

The thing is that the only time that it's not sensing properly is at that calibration gate. In-game it works perfectly, more or less, but at the calibration gate it's as though the IR sensor range has shrunken ridiculously, often to like a 2cm patch of space directly in front of the sensorbar but not in the middle or anything.

I'm downloading some custom bluetooth drivers to see if that solves anything...

Sensor bar fully loaded?

Mine is using batteries. When the batteries were low I lost about 1 meter distance in the calibration screen. In game it works because it's dependent on WM+ and not the sensor bar. But the sensor bar is used for automatic recalibration I guess. I described this a few posts ago...

Jintor

Mine is using batteries. When the batteries were low I lost about 1 meter distance in the calibration screen. In game it works because it's dependent on WM+ and not the sensor bar. But the sensor bar is used for automatic recalibration I guess. I described this a few posts ago...

It has been a while since I replaced the batteries, I'll give it a go.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Thrakier said:
No chance in the world that you run Mario Galaxy games full speed with a 2GHZ proc. Never ever.
The thing turbo boosts to 3Ghz - and it's noticeably faster per clock then the old I7s as well.
But fair enough - I never tried MarioGalaxy myself - so I'll shut up until I have a chance to run it :)
Any other games worth trying as stress tests (And what would be good performance targets)?

Turrican3

I have a similar laptop (using R6670 GPU instead of NVidia) - at least as far as Mario/Zelda games are concerned, I have no problems running full speed.
Well, I'd say this is slightly rising my expectations. :)

Thanks again, I hope I'll be able to make some tests as soon as possible
(I'm currently re-configuring the system with a clean Win7 install, since Asus decided to overload this notebook with tons of crap I don't think I really need...)

Jintor

I think changing the batteries did it. I also realised the reason why I got stuck wasn't that my controller wasn't working, it was because I was an idiot and didn't know how to solve a puzzle.

Thrakier

The thing turbo boosts to 3Ghz - and it's noticeably faster per clock then the old I7s as well.
But fair enough - I never tried MarioGalaxy myself - so I'll shut up until I have a chance to run it :)
Any other games worth trying as stress tests (And what would be good performance targets)?

3GHZ still isn't enough. He'll be able to play some 2D games maybe or less demanding 3D games but every game which is demanding...no chance. I got an i52500k and still I get framerate drops for SMG. I don't know though how it's for Zelda. Some people in this thread claim that they can play Zelda at 4xres with 8xFSAA with a dual core but honestly, I don't believe them.

elektrixx

Banned
3GHZ still isn't enough. He'll be able to play some 2D games maybe or less demanding 3D games but every game which is demanding...no chance. I got an i52500k and still I get framerate drops for SMG. I don't know though how it's for Zelda. Some people in this thread claim that they can play Zelda at 4xres with 8xFSAA with a dual core but honestly, I don't believe them.

I'm playing on an i5 2500K, 2GB GPU and 8GB RAM and have only had one instance of slowdown in one room in the whole game so far at 1080p and AA/AF right up.

I think I picked a good time to try Dolphin because everything else I've tried runs crap compared to Skyward Sword.

Thrakier

I'm playing on an i5 2500K, 2GB GPU and 8GB RAM and have only had one instance of slowdown in one room in the whole game so far.

I think I picked a good time to try Dolphin because everything else I've tried runs crap compared to Skyward Sword.

Super Mario Galaxy, SS is less demanding. ;) Don't havea ny drops there as well with 4xres and no FSAA.

Flunkie

Banned
New album, Super Mario Galaxy

http://dolphinsnacks.com/screenshots/supermariogalaxy/

011.jpg

008.jpg

002.jpg

2D scales differently on a game by game basis. Some use higher res (than what the Wii can make use of anyway) assets that scale nicely like Muramasa and Trauma Team whereas others look only as good as they need to when rendered at a native Wii resolution. Dolphin can play VC games, but they'd still be better served on a platform specific emulator for specific features (different scaling features, etc), or even just a homebrew Wii emulator.

Holy shit. Is this actually what it looks like?

..Wow.

Jintor

JESUS MOTHERFUCKING CHRIST

Dolphin has taken to crashing about 2 minutes after I defeat the boss of the first dungeon but before I get to a fucking save point.

FUCK FUCK THE FUCKING FUCK.

Red

You would be lucky to maintain half speed in Galaxy.

JESUS MOTHERFUCKING CHRIST

Dolphin has taken to crashing about 2 minutes after I defeat the boss of the first dungeon but before I get to a fucking save point.

FUCK FUCK THE FUCKING FUCK.
So play it on Wii?

Holy shit. Is this actually what it looks like?

..Wow.
If you're playing with sound enabled, that is what it looks like. For seconds at a time!

chepu

What are the best sound settings For Wind Waker?, I play it at 3x Resolution with AA and everything goes perfect (always at 100% speed)

My problem is the sound, The game stopped playing most sounds after I arrived the island where you meet the king of red lions, the game even crashed in that part (screen going black) but I created a save state, turned sound off and got past it, but after that, the game stops playing most sounds, sometimes I only hear the birds and the sea but thats all.

Any solution?

I read somewhere something about this LLE Plugin, but im not sure.

Thanks in advance

My Rig is an i7 860 at 2.8GHz, GTX570 and 2GB Ram (had 4 gb, but one stick got damaged)

reektann

Might have to go back to Skyward Sword on the Wii. Each play session I have Dolphin crash with 'Failed to create rasterizer at Src\Render.cpp 1148' anybody else had this? This is using 7719 build - tried newer versions but they run poorly :|

Red

Might have to go back to Skyward Sword on the Wii. Each play session I have Dolphin crash with 'Failed to create rasterizer at Src\Render.cpp 1148' anybody else had this? This is using 7719 build - tried newer versions but they run poorly :|
Are you using cheats? I finished the game with no crashes at all, except when I had cheats enabled.

Me and many others have finished the game from start to finish without issues, I'd suggest trying to find a fix.

reektann

No cheats or anything - this is using 7719 build. I've checked all my settings and can't find anything that might be causing it. Only thing I could think is maybe nvidia drivers.. maybe. One other guy seems to have had this issue from googling but no real response on it. I thought maybe its the build so I've downloaded it again and deleted the old one so im testing now. Also tried ticking " lock threads to cores " to see if it helps.

Metroid Other M keeps crashing on me during gameplay-cutscene transitions at around the point where you first meet Madeline Bergman. Are there any settings I can change to get around this?

reektann

I downloaded another 7719 and noticed a couple of the default options such as Per Pixel Lighting and Force Texture Filtering were not checked so unchecked those - runs exactly the same and hoping it might sort the crashes. I think I had those set from Xenoblade.

Thrakier

I downloaded another 7719 and noticed a couple of the default options such as Per Pixel Lighting and Force Texture Filtering were not checked so unchecked those - runs exactly the same and hoping it might sort the crashes. I think I had those set from Xenoblade.

Those are not default settings...

So, I hate whenever you restart Skyward sword , you get notices every first time you pick up a bug, even if you already have found one before. Any code to get rid of that

I know such a code was in there for Twilight Princess, why/how would Nintendo fuck this up again in Skyward Sword?

jediyoshi

So, I hate whenever you restart Skyward sword , you get notices every first time you pick up a bug, even if you already have found one before. Any code to get rid of that
There's one listed as
No Notification The First Time You Collect A Bug Or Treasure

Haven't tried it myself

Jintor

I know such a code was in there for Twilight Princess, why/how would Nintendo fuck this up again in Skyward Sword?

Text skipping! TEXT SKIPPING! Come on Nintendo, it's basic stuff!

reektann

So out of curiosity. Do you guys just use the regular save points in Skyward Sword or do you use save states within Dolphin on top or in place of them?

Jintor

Yeah, I only use save states in dire emergencies.

If your nunchuck gets stuck inputting a false command because it loses sync while you're pressing on the joystick, just disconnect and reconnect it.

Thrakier

Yeah, there are really almost no words how good SMG2 looks and plays in Dolphin. Phenomenal game with even better art and GFX. This is nintendo at their best.

Though...I'm running my i5 @4.3GHZ and I still get some slowdown from time to time. Settings are 3xres (no FSAA, 16xAF), LLE, LLE on Thread, Skip EFB Access, ObenMP Texture Decoder, DX9, rest is default. Version is 7719m and I still get audio glitches on a regular basis (e.g. Frames drop to 59 or 58 for a little second) and in graphical very intense scenes (f.e. in that galaxy where everything is huge) in some camera angles and scenes the frames may drop to around 50. Which wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for LLE which slows down as well.

So is there any trick to run it at 100/100 with my current setup? I don't want to OC any further, that's probably not worth it. Even if it's not perfect emulation at this point it's worlds better when what it looks like on the Wii...

Metroid Other M keeps crashing on me during gameplay-cutscene transitions at around the point where you first meet Madeline Bergman. Are there any settings I can change to get around this?

Anybody got any advice on getting Other M to not crash? It was playing perfectly up until this point, too...

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
My Wii is busted and I want to play Zelda. After seeing all the do-it-yourself sensor bar guides and candle tricks, I thought of a festive solution for my lack of wireless sensor bar.

dl8e1.jpg

Using two of these on top of the screen and it works perfectly. Good use for these things outside of December, haha.

Red

Yeah, there are really almost no words how good SMG2 looks and plays in Dolphin. Phenomenal game with even better art and GFX. This is nintendo at their best.

Though...I'm running my i5 @4.3GHZ and I still get some slowdown from time to time. Settings are 3xres (no FSAA, 16xAF), LLE, LLE on Thread, Skip EFB Access, ObenMP Texture Decoder, DX9, rest is default. Version is 7719m and I still get audio glitches on a regular basis (e.g. Frames drop to 59 or 58 for a little second) and in graphical very intense scenes (f.e. in that galaxy where everything is huge) in some camera angles and scenes the frames may drop to around 50. Which wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for LLE which slows down as well.

So is there any trick to run it at 100/100 with my current setup? I don't want to OC any further, that's probably not worth it. Even if it's not perfect emulation at this point it's worlds better when what it looks like on the Wii...
SMG1 crashes constantly for me when using lle on thread, and runs too poorly with standard lle to even be remotely playable (~40 fps). The only way I can play it full speed is without sound. You're lucky.

Mohonky

011.jpg

008.jpg

002.jpg

2D scales differently on a game by game basis. Some use higher res (than what the Wii can make use of anyway) assets that scale nicely like Muramasa and Trauma Team whereas others look only as good as they need to when rendered at a native Wii resolution. Dolphin can play VC games, but they'd still be better served on a platform specific emulator for specific features (different scaling features, etc), or even just a homebrew Wii emulator.

God i cant wait to see what they can do on a Wii U. Art style and design is incredible. Even Skyward Sword just looks amazing.

Coolwhip

Banned

011.jpg

008.jpg

002.jpg

I don't see how visuals can get better than that. Nintendo doesn't get enough credit for their skills with graphics really. I know it doesn't look like that on a Wii, but damn.

Red

I don't see how visuals can get better than that. Nintendo doesn't get enough credit for their skills with graphics really. I know it doesn't look like that on a Wii, but damn.
Texture quality + 2d backgrounds are two obvious areas that could be improved.

Top Bottom