• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dolphin - Emulating Wii and Gamecube Games

Chairhome

So I ordered the bluetooth USB adapter from Deal Extreme per a Gaffer's recommendation, but I'm having trouble tracking my shipment. It says the status is "Full shipment" as of the 16th, but I have yet to receive an actual tracking number.

I'd expect it this week. It takes a long time cause it comes from HK, but don't worry, it usually makes it to its destination.

are there any sensor bars that take USB power by default?
That's what I'd like to know.

Necronomikon said:
I've been using this sensor bar:
USB Sensor Eye

Although I discovered that sensor bar by looking at the original USB sensor bar
Sensor Bar HD

Both are a bit expensive though!

The thing I like the most about the Sensor Eye is that you can adjust the distance between the set of LEDs so you can get yourself close to the monitor and so the wiimote detection is not messed up (but consider that, the closest you get to the set of LEDs, the less field of view the wiimote has to scan for IR LEDs).

But they've worked just as I expected and they are nicely built (although the USB -> AC Adapter didn't shipped in working conditions, but USB works just fine). The only thing I would've wanted is a on/off switch and indicator led.

And just for reference, I play like 2 feet away from the sensor bar and I haven't experienced any inconvenience.

I posted this a couple of pages back!

For Dolphin-GAF Skyward Sword, I'll copy/paste my OP from the Dolphin forums here, to help everyone else:

Emulation Status / Speed

Best revision: r7719

Best settings:

Everything default, except:

- Prefered graphics plugin: DirectX 11
- AA method should be done only by using higher internal resolutions. AA "standard" settings causes glitches.
- AF should be set to 2X or higher to reduce/eliminate color banding
- Disable "Skip EFB Access from CPU" to fix the pointer accuracy
- Disable "External Frame Buffer"
- Disable "Cache Display Lists"
- EFB Copies should be enabled only with the "Virtual" checkbox.

Everything else (audio settings, advanced graphical options) are a matter of personal choice and won't make much difference, so if possible, stick with the above.

FAQ:

Misaligned pointer for slingshot pellets, arrows, etc
Disable "Skip EFB Access from CPU" to fix. Reduces performance.

I have a Wiimote but not a Motion+, can I play the game?
No. Emulation isn't possible. Also, using save-states won't get around this.

Large blocky shadows around Link / floor?
Looks like a problem with the DX9 plugin, using the DX11 plugin fixes this. Using a newer revision may also fix this but doing so yields more disadvantages.

Link's sword is invisible
Disable "Cache Display Lists".

The background (depth of field) is all corrupted, blocky and/or jagged looking
This is a problem with newer revisions of the emulator (3.0+). There are two possible solutions: use the recommend revision (r7719), or set "EFB Texture to RAM" (causes slowdowns).

Do I need a sensor bar, since the game is using the Motion+ gyros for motion tracking?
Although not needed, it's recommended as the sensor bar tells the Wiimote which direction is forward so that it can correctly correlate hand movements with sword swings. In other words, it serves as a "real time calibration". Without it, keeping the Motion+ calibration is way harder.

Screenshots

irY2U23qBZY7m.png

i1gg26JrVlEkX.png

iGZ3DGwyhLYCi.png

is2Bur9hPcgVN.png

ijY6DvCmKMENE.png

iblntkC768CUth.png

iiFWPKAFjnXph.png

i2a2V3naf3YTS.png

i3vFBiiqTnFAW.png

I ordered all my stuff. Hope to have it here by wednesday or thursday to set this shit up.

Is that sort of water color effect intentionally part of the art design?

So, between those two choices, getting a Sensor Bar HD is the way to go? I haven't followed on what I need, other than knowing it has to probably be bluetooth.

It depends on your needs and tastes, but any of those choices is a good choice!

Let's say that with the Sensor Eye you can tweak the triangulation measurement and maybe have it a little more refined with the ability to being detect at long distances, and with the Sensor Bar HD you'll have normal measurement at long distances too.

Foffy

Banned
It depends on your needs and tastes, but any of those choices is a good choice!

Let's say that with the Sensor Eye you can tweak the triangulation measurement and maybe have it a little more refined with the ability to being detect at long distances, and with the Sensor Bar HD you'll have normal measurement at long distances too.

Would the Sensor Bar HD be a firm replacement for the regular bar? Like, I use my HDTV as my monitor, so moving it to the same position would be far more convenient.

Necronomikon, thanks for posting those sensor bar alternatives. I've been dissatisfied with the wireless one I have for a while. Looking at the product page for the standard (non-"HD") sensor bar from that company, it says it can be powered by usb. However, I looked at reviews of it and they didn't mention this feature. Can it be usb powered, and is there anything dealbreaking about it that you know of? Sorry to bother you to potentially save 2 bucks.

Mistle

I ordered all my stuff. Hope to have it here by wednesday or thursday to set this shit up.

It is, but the DOF effect is way off in those screens. There's a better build, I believe.

Would the Sensor Bar HD be a firm replacement for the regular bar? Like, I use my HDTV as my monitor, so moving it to the same position would be far more convenient.

I really wouldn't know for sure. In paper it should be, because it (supposedly) has bigger sets of leds than the original one, thus easier detection from the wiimote as a result. I have the Sensor Eyes and from my own experience, I've been able to "tweak" the sensor eye's distance to be able to read my wiimote from ~2 feet away from my LCD monitor (so I play Dolphin almost as near as any other PC game). So maybe the Sensor Bar HD is as good too, but I can't say it for sure since I don't own one.

Necronomikon, thanks for posting those sensor bar alternatives. I've been dissatisfied with the wireless one I have for a while. Looking at the product page for the standard (non-"HD") sensor bar from that company, it says it can be powered by usb. However, I looked at reviews of it and they didn't mention this feature. Can it be usb powered, and is there anything dealbreaking about it that you know of? Sorry to bother you to potentially save 2 bucks.

I'm not really sure, but if I had to guess it should be USB powered. The deal breaking "feature" I know of (because of my own experience with the Sensor Eyes I bought) is the AC Adapter which is generic and in my case came faulty (the on/off LEDs don't work and it has a bogus connection making it tricky to find the correct position to make it work).

Besides that, the USB cord has a great length and sturdiness and the sensor itself has a great build quality.

Hope this helps both of you!

It is, but the DOF effect is way off in those screens. There's a better build, I believe.

I played SS on the same settings and the same build on my rig (although I enabled Antialiasing) and it looked incredible:

Necronomikon said:

Necronomikon said:

Necronomikon said:

Necronomikon said:

Necronomikon said:
iQnWNrtRibovG.jpg

itN5q5dKYvFrD.jpg

And FYI, this is the folder of SS if you want to see it, but there are spoilers in there (like the final boss =P): The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Swords

So don't worry, those settings are the one I used and they're great man! If there is a better build I don't know about let me know, but felipepl's settings are the best!

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
No, it's just part of the obvious Wii-graphics limitation.
ib2fLMd5q3DLqK.gif

I think I want to try to get the sensor bar, since I already have two BT addapters -- one has to work with this thing. I really dislike how washed out everything looks on my TV with the Wii. Damn you 480i.

I'm not really sure, but if I had to guess it should be USB powered. The deal breaking "feature" I know of (because of my own experience) is the AC Adapter which is generic and in my case came faulty (the on/off LEDs don't work and it has a bogus connection making it tricky to find the correct position to make it work).

Besides that, the USB cord has a great length and sturdiness and the sensor itself has a great build quality.

Hope this helps both of you!

Do the sensor eyes also have these problems?

IrishNinja

nice. can we have the OP updated with felipepl's guide? those skyward sword shots look amazing, perfect for a 2nd playthrough later.

also, damn Last Story is really looking sharp too.

Do the sensor eyes also have these problems?

Sorry... I guess I wrote it wrong. That conclusion was based on my experience with the Sensor Eyes order I bought, but I don't know if the other Sensor Bars have this or even if another order of Sensor Eyes would arrive the same way.

Maybe it was only my bad fortune, but it happened with my Sensor Eyes order. Although I don't/didn't care in the end, and I'm happy with my purchase, this is something worth considering when making the decision.

Thanks for the info, and the quick replies. I think I'll go with the Sensor Bar HD. Hopefully it'll treat me well when I get the Wii U too.

nice. can we have the OP updated with felipepl's guide? those skyward sword shots look amazing, perfect for a 2nd playthrough later.
Might wanna use Necronomikon's screenshots then. I recall someone saying that felipepl's shots use a free camera hack which kinda breaks the water color effect.

Mit-

I complained about those screens elsewhere, and someone told me it was an issue with the method used to take the screenshots. I believe those are custom camera angles, and the DOF effect got all screwy because of the hack used.

Just started Skyward Sword on Dolphin the other day. So far so good :) Works excellent so far. I got a Rocketfish mini bluetooth adapter and have had no issues so far. Hopefully I don't get the aiming issue either (haven't gotten anything to aim with yet...).

reektann

I posted a few weeks ago about some 'glitchy' control with Zelda on Dolphin. Just incase it helps anybody else out - I took the rubber skin off of the remote and I didn't actually have the issue anymore - slowly moving the wiimote full on left to right gave good (almost 1:1) swings, but with the cover back on it sort of glitched as the sword went back.

Maybe the bluetooth adapter I was using was a bit dodgy.

ACE 1991

I'd expect it this week. It takes a long time cause it comes from HK, but don't worry, it usually makes it to its destination.

I really didn't expect it to take this long, I never would have ordered from deal xtreme had I known... Oh well. My package shipped on the 16th, and still no sign of it.

elektrixx

Banned
Did the last ATI card update break Skyward Sword on Dolphin7719? I haven't played in a few weeks and I'm just finding it broken now.

Radeon 6950 2GB. Everything ran fine on max before.

r0x0rman

Gold Member
Did the last ATI card update break Skyward Sword on Dolphin7719? I haven't played in a few weeks and I'm just finding it broken now.

Radeon 6950 2GB. Everything ran fine on max before.

I hadn't played Skyward Sword in a few weeks but last week when I went back to play it was so slow it was unplayable. I'm on a geforce 570 on Windows 7 64-bit and I think the same Dolphin build as you.

The only thing I could think of that had changed on my computer was that Windows Update had installed Microsoft Update KB 2585542. I went into Control Panel > Programs and Features > View installed updates > right-clicked KB2585542 and uninstalled it. Dolphin's performance was back to normal after I rebooted. Hope that helps.

Mit-

GOOD SETTINGS FOR SKYWARD SWORD.

http://i.imgur.com/eBhnm.jpg

I was going pretty good before, but then I ran into the slingshot aim glitch, and the music was messing up on me sometimes.

I applied these settings exactly, and I haven't encountered any sounds errors, the slingshot aiming is fixed, and performance seems to be the same (skipped a little when I first started it up, though).

Question for you regular Dolphin users, though... What's the best way to regularly connect Wii remotes? Right now I have to pop it open and put it in discovery mode every time I want to use it, and in order to turn it off I have to pop the batteries out. Not very intuitive. I've stopped using the rubber sleeve for the remote because of it.

Question for you regular Dolphin users, though... What's the best way to regularly connect Wii remotes? Right now I have to pop it open and put it in discovery mode every time I want to use it, and in order to turn it off I have to pop the batteries out. Not very intuitive. I've stopped using the rubber sleeve for the remote because of it.

Pressing 1 + 2 together puts it in discovery mode. Still have to do it every time you start dolphin but it's quicker than opening it up to do so. Odd that you have to take the batteries out to turn it off as just holding down the power button works for me.

Tomodachi

You can set it in discovery mode by pressing 1+2, no need to press the little red button near the batteries. I do that, then press Pair Up from Dolphin. Windows finds the device, then installs the drivers in background, then when it's done (depending on how much time it takes you might have to press 1+2 again) I press Refresh from Dolphin and it's done.
I just press the on/off button to turn it off when I'm done playing.
Then I have to do all the procedure over again if I turn off the wiimote, even if I don't exit Dolphin.

So after putting this off so long I finally dove in with Skyward Sword. I can't get past this black screen at the beginning with 'clearing cache' etc I have fiddled with loads of different options, followed some configs you guys posted but nadda. What am I doing wrong?!

Mit-

So after putting this off so long I finally dove in with Skyward Sword. I can't get past this black screen at the beginning with 'clearing cache' etc I have fiddled with loads of different options, followed some configs you guys posted but nadda. What am I doing wrong?!

Could be the .iso maybe?

And thanks for the tips everyone. I did not know 1+2 did discovery mode, and I did not know that the power button shut the Wii remote off. I assumed that was only to turn Wii consoles on/off.

Also, anyone know if there's a way to un-sync a remote from a Wii? It's still synced to my Wii, meaning whenever I turn the remote off I'm probably going to turn my Wii on...

Tomodachi

Guys, could Dolphin have broken my wiimote? It works allright but it won't vibrate, instead it does a little creepy sound when it should vibrate, as the motor tried to move but it couldn't do it. I tryed re-synching the wiimote with my wii and it won't vibrate even when it's connected to the console :(
I'm pretty sure I never dropped it or something, and it used to vibrate allright before :(

Also, anyone know if there's a way to un-sync a remote from a Wii? It's still synced to my Wii, meaning whenever I turn the remote off I'm probably going to turn my Wii on...
IIRC pressing the red button on the wii for 30 seconds disconnects every wiimote you ever synched with it. You'll have to press both red buttons (on the wii and on the wiimote) to synch them up again, so you can be sure to turn on your wiimote without turning on your console.
Or you could simply remove the power cable from the wii if you use both your console and dolphin a lot and you don't want to synch your wiimote with your console every time you turn it on :)

Mit-

Well, I'm lazy and in order to use a sensor bar I just turn my Wii on and use the stock sensor bar :p I don't want to get another sensor bar when I can just do that.

Didn't know about desyncing all remotes like that either though, thanks :O

Seik

Banned
Quick question here: I'm still using rev.7719, should I think about getting the newest one or its still the most stable recent release?

Schlomo

Does anyone still have those Resident Evil 4 high-res textures? All the links in the original thread on the Dolphin forums seem to be dead, and the person who did them doesn't accept PMs. It would be great if someone could re-upload them (or point me to working links).

jediyoshi

Quick question here: I'm still using rev.7719, should I think about getting the newest one or its still the most stable recent release?

Copy your Dolphin folder, overwrite the files with the ones in a new version, and see if it works better.

Got Mario Galaxy 2 running pretty well. There's a few graphical hiccups (like the coloring on enemies going from dark to bright, sometimes the same with bushes and stuff)

Is there a particular revision that's best for Donkey Kong Country Returns? I've read around on it a bit, but most of the posts I've found are a year or so old, so I was wondering if one of the newer revisions runs it better. Right now it runs pretty decently, but with a lot of graphics glitching out on the backgrounds, and the frame rate drops heavily when on a minecart level.

Edit: After messing around with it more, it now plays pretty much as good as I'll get it. There does seem to be this weird black outline around DK though. Not as bad when you don't have the EFB texture thing disabled, but still.

iX2VFcBEpSNnI.png

The cables, they do nothing
Simpsons ref.
; you money-wasting workaholic (drunk). ;]

I think I'm just going to finish SS on the Wii then backtrack to TP on the emu later.

FYI, Iafter I beat skyward sword on the Wii I decided to go back and play some endgame Twilight Princess on dolphin and the amazing resolutions didnt help the game but... I actually felt like I was playing a game that hadnt aged well.

Basically, I can't believe I'm saying this but without the motion controls of Skyward, TP feels really old/dated. I shouldn't have replayed TP because it sorta ruined my fond memories with the game.

I guess Skyward really was a jump in the right direction, it makes TP feel old, bigtime.

Red UFO

Edit: After messing around with it more, it now plays pretty much as good as I'll get it. There does seem to be this weird black outline around DK though. Not as bad when you don't have the EFB texture thing disabled, but still.
I think that's something to do with the fact that DK and Diddy are both, in fact, sprites. Don't know how to fix it though.

StevieP

Banned
FYI, Iafter I beat skyward sword on the Wii I decided to go back and play some endgame Twilight Princess on dolphin and the amazing resolutions didnt help the game but... I actually felt like I was playing a game that hadnt aged well.

Basically, I can't believe I'm saying this but without the motion controls of Skyward, TP feels really old/dated. I shouldn't have replayed TP because it sorta ruined my fond memories with the game.

I guess Skyward really was a jump in the right direction, it makes TP feel old, bigtime.

Just don't tell GAF.

Utako

Banned
How does one change the voice acting to Japanese in the EU version of Xenoblade? Or even off? I just can't get onboard with the voice talent in the EU localization.

Despite my best efforts to solve this myself, I have failed. Would appreciate some help!

It reminds me exactly of this:
XQY6i.jpg

I can't stop imagining my characters in a threesome while conducting battle, which is so unintentionally hilarious it completely saps the excitement out of the act (in all ways one might infer).

Rufus

That's - special. Anyway, what you are looking for is an 'undub'. Don't know if one exists for Xenoblade, but it's likely.

edit: Ha, I am stupid.

Top Bottom