• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dolphin - Emulating Wii and Gamecube Games

jediyoshi

Mario Party 9

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92vruWGGvuY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=II9jojo3jUY

mp9-000.jpg

mp9-001.jpg

mp9-002.jpg

Anybody had any luck playing Last Story without any issues? I managed to play to the end of Chapter 1 on R7428 using the JITIL recompiler which is supposed to prevent it from crashing, but the emulator crashed on the last cutscene of chapter 1. Then I tried playing it on R7719, which got me past the cutscene and on to the start of chapter 2, but the emulation seemed slow and choppy so I switched to version 3.0. But using 3.0, the game froze on me during the first battle of chapter 2. I guess I'll try playing it on R7719 again, but the emulation quality seemed really crap compared to R7428 for some reason, maybe because my settings are different..

Go here http://youtu.be/Cudx312yy1c

In the info below, I went and downloaded the version and changed the settings to everything listed. Works pretty good now.

Is it normal for The Last Story to run like dog shit in the city (~20 fps) when there are lots of buildings and NPCs visible? (Sorry for the DP.)

ombz

I just started using dolphin and I need some help with ripping the games.
I tried to rip SSBB with Cleanrip on my Wii but the file only came to 3.99GB. Is this because my flash drive is formatted as FAT32? Should I format my flash drive as NTFS?

tkscz

I've tried running Dolphin, and some games run REALLY slow (RE4 GC, Mario Kart Double Dash and SSBM). I was wondering if it were those games and they need special settings, or if it's my PC?

PC Specs:
AMD Athlon II X4 640
Nvidia GTX 460 v2
4 Gigs of RAM (Only 3.2 is actually read though).

Pro

Only if you play with a gamecube controller (or emulated gamecube controller).

So the way to get rid of the nasty Wii-mote cross hair you do indeed play with a GC (or emulated GC controller). But you have to start the game with a Real Wii-mote with the nunchuck disconnected. Then when the game asks you to connect the nunchuck, do it, but immediately disconnect it. This will put the Wii version of RE4 in the GC control configuration and put the nice laser pointer back in as your sight. So much easier to aim this way IMO and the GC control is better as well. Plus with the Hi-Res textures for the Wii edition on Dolphin, it makes for the best RE4 experience.

jediyoshi

So the way to get rid of the nasty Wii-mote cross hair you do indeed play with a GC (or emulated GC controller). But you have to start the game with a Real Wii-mote with the nunchuck disconnected. Then when the game asks you to connect the nunchuck, do it, but immediately disconnect it. This will put the Wii version of RE4 in the GC control configuration and put the nice laser pointer back in as your sight. So much easier to aim this way IMO and the GC control is better as well. Plus with the Hi-Res textures for the Wii edition on Dolphin, it makes for the best RE4 experience.
You can just start the game with an emulated Wiimote with a nunchuck connected. Once you're in the main menu, you can disable Wiimote 1 altogether. Better yet, you can just make a save state at the main menu and load that up directly to bypass the check.

Pro

You can just start the game with an emulated Wiimote with a nunchuck connected. Once you're in the main menu, you can disable Wiimote 1 altogether. Better yet, you can just make a save state at the main menu and load that up directly to bypass the check.

Do save states function properly in RE4? I've had trouble with them in Skyward Sword, but I'm assuming that has to do with the Wii Motion Plus controller.

Seik

Banned
I just got The Last Story! :D

So I was just about to play and then WHAT THE FUCK?!

I'm using 3.0-415...tried to switch DX9/DX11 but the problem persists. Is there anything I need to check/uncheck to fix this? Or maybe its my revision? I'll go search for the one I was using for Xenoblade (7714 I think...or maybe 7716...well something like that.) to do some tests.

Let me know if I can fix this with my actual revision. :)

jediyoshi

Do save states function properly in RE4? I've had trouble with them in Skyward Sword, but I'm assuming that has to do with the Wii Motion Plus controller.
They can be problematic when using real controllers, haven't had a problem with save states alongside just emulated controls.

Let me know if I can fix this with my actual revision. :)
Happens regardless of the build. Graphics -> Hacks tab -> EFB Copies RAM + Enable Cache
Can switch back to texture when you get ingame but changing your equipment from there'll bug up the models again.

Seik

Banned
Happens regardless of the build. Graphics -> Hacks tab -> EFB Copies RAM + Enable Cache
Can switch back to texture when you get ingame but changing your equipment from there'll bug up the models again.

Man, that was quick! It worked, thanks! :D

EDIT: How frustrating, the game was working perfectly then it freezed before the first fight after the first mission, I tried many times and it always freeze at the same place. Anything about that too?

jediyoshi

Man, that was quick! It worked, thanks! :D

EDIT: How frustrating, the game was working perfectly then it freezed before the first fight after the first mission, I tried many times and it always freeze at the same place. Anything about that too?
Are your freezes just in the video with the audio still playing? Switching to DSP -> LLE + 'DSP LLE on Thread' got rid of any of my crashes.

Borman

Meh, if you can't use the giant mecha controller then what's the point? JSRF, Panzer Dragoon Orta and RSC2 are much better reasons for wanting an Xbox emulator.

Xbox 1 controllers are USB with a different connector. Swap out the breakaway cable, and youre good to go. Steel Battalion has drivers for Windows XP, but none for Windows 7. Used it for Mech Warrior years ago.

linko9

Hey, I've got a Thinkpad W520 with a Quadro 1000 graphics card, and an on-board Intel graphics card. It's supposed to do automatic switching between the two, but I've got a problem. Dolphin only recognizes the Intel, and not the dedicated graphics card (Intel is the only option under "adapter" in the graphics settings). Anyone know how to get Dolphin to recognize my card?

Yaska

Which version are you running? I can't get this and Wind Waker to run smoothly for me at all.

What are your specs? (and sorry for late reply) As SoA is extremely demanding ( I have i7 2600k stock clock, 580 gtx, and still having some probs keeping the framerate up). And I use either 3.0-432 dirty or 7719m (best build I've used for anything so far).

whitehawk

Banned
Anyone have trouble using the keyboard with gamecube games? My keyboard (iMac) is mapped, but none of the buttons seem to register.

edit: nvm, just tried the newest build and it works now.

abusori

Has anyone ever got Radiant Dawn running properly on Dolphin? About 8 months ago I tried to get it running properly for a week but no matter what I tried (including old and new versions) it crashed so much after about 30 min in that it was unplayable. I don't really want to get my soul crushed again, so I'd rather not try again unless somebody else has gotten it working.

Tried "site:http://www.neogaf.com/forum/ radiant dawn dolphin" in google and found absolutely nothing, but sorry if I'm repeating a question or something.

Yaska

Has anyone ever got Radiant Dawn running properly on Dolphin? About 8 months ago I tried to get it running properly for a week but no matter what I tried (including old and new versions) it crashed so much after about 30 min in that it was unplayable. I don't really want to get my soul crushed again, so I'd rather not try again unless somebody else has gotten it working.

Tried "site:http://www.neogaf.com/forum/ radiant dawn dolphin" in google and found absolutely nothing, but sorry if I'm repeating a question or something.

Quickly looking at the Dolphin wiki (I take it you mean Fire Emblem) shows that 3.0-415 should run it well, and it's recommended to disable anisoptric filtering and set scaled copy to efb to fractional.

Dolphin Wiki

Kamaji

Introducing myself to Dolphin later on this evening when i've gotten my Wind Waker-copy from my parents house and hopefully found a way to rip the game with my Wii.

I've noticed the Wind Waker-guide by "Stallion Free" but it's almost two years old and from what i've heard Dolphin is evolving quite rapidly (new builds everyday etc.). Are the problems noted by "Stallion Free"* still there in recent builds?

Furthermore: do the game performance differ a lot between regions (I have a PAL-copy)?

'- Sound clipping during the opening cinematic, no fix found.
- Low-resolution looking depth of field effect, fixed by disabling CPU->EFB Access.
- Broken heatwave effect on Dragon Roost Cavern, no fix found.
- The Old Hyrule black & white filter is low-resolution similar to the depth of field effect, no fix found.
- The Old Hyrule transition to color is instantaneous, fixed by re-enabling CPU->EFB Access for the duration.'

abusori

Quickly looking at the Dolphin wiki (I take it you mean Fire Emblem) shows that 3.0-415 should run it well, and it's recommended to disable anisoptric filtering and set scaled copy to efb to fractional.

Dolphin Wiki

Yeah, that was there then too, didn't work for me. Either whoever tested it didn't play long enough to get the crashes, or there's some incompatibility with my hardware. Probably the latter, unfortunately. Oh well.

Yay, I got Baten Kaitos Origins running for my new playthrough. Awesome <3 Even when I enable the widescreen hack it stays the same at 4:3, though. I take it it won't work if nothing happens.

jediyoshi

Is Pokepark 2 worth playing if I'm not at all into Pokemon? I was checking out some footage of the game, and it looked... kinda good.
Not quite, it's definitely a kids game, the only other draw are the pokemons. Even then, should probably go with the first one.

Yay, I got Baten Kaitos Origins running for my new playthrough. Awesome <3 Even when I enable the widescreen hack it stays the same at 4:3, though. I take it it won't work if nothing happens.
Next to Aspect Ratio in the graphics config you also have to select Force 16:9.

Top Bottom