• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dolphin - Emulating Wii and Gamecube Games

Quake 3 wishes it had graphics as good as Metroid Prime 3.

This has to be a blatant troll.
He said Metroid Prime (1).

But it's not even in the same ballpark; metroid prime was all about being a polygon geometry fest, it pumped a shitload of polygons per second; quake 3 didn't and was pulled on consoles (dreamcast) that couldn't possibly have kept up with what metroid prime was doing years later.

Yes.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I can up my AMD Phenom II 955 from 3.2 to about 3.5, but it runs far to hot for me to leave it like that when I am not playing it, so it somewhat destroys the pick up and play aspect I so enjoy.

Necrovex

One of these days, I'll figure out how to get Dolphin to work properly on my PC. And on that day, I'll actually start on Xenoblade.

xJavonta

Banned
One of these days, I'll figure out how to get Dolphin to work properly on my PC. And on that day, I'll actually start on Xenoblade.
I just started Xenoblade myself. It's not really clicking with me though.

so I am planning to get a new graphic card, would nvidia or Radeon run the emulator better?
Doesn't really matter honestly. A better card will let you turn a few settings up like the internal resolution, but emulation is much more CPU dependent than GPU dependent.

What GPU do you currently have?

The A8 3870k is supposed to overclock really well and it has decent graphics. It did fine on Dolphin at base clock speed.
Ahh I see. I haven't been keeping up with AMD, stopped at the Phenom's during the massive Bulldozer hype. However I've heard of people with 2500k's not getting good OCs because some chips just aren't as OC'able as others.

No More Heroes 2
tumblr_m952tdLrQS1r3tuoro1_1280.png

tumblr_m952v8sGrY1r3tuoro1_1280.png

tumblr_m952psc9yt1r3tuoro1_1280.png

xJavonta

Banned
Is No More Heroes 2 completely playable, no bugs, at max framerate without dips?

I occasionally get framerate dips in some cutscenes, but that's it. I used the speedhack on the Dolphin forums and turned off audio throttle to get it running smoothly.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
I occasionally get framerate dips in some cutscenes, but that's it. I used the speedhack on the Dolphin forums and turned off audio throttle to get it running smoothly.

I'm pretty sure that the dips in cutscenes are just part of the game. I remember there being some complaining about that when the game first released.

xJavonta

Banned
How does the first NMH runs? Anybody tried it?

If yes I'm gonna take on both very soon. :D
I'll see if I can find it cheap somewhere. If so then I'll report back here with my experience.
I'm pretty sure that the dips in cutscenes are just part of the game. I remember there being some complaining about that when the game first released.
Ahh, good to know it's not me then. I haven't bothered to play it on my Wii, so I didn't know.

Seik

Banned
I'll see if I can find it cheap somewhere. If so then I'll report back here with my experience.

Ahh, good to know it's not me then. I haven't bothered to play it on my Wii, so I didn't know.

I'll try it tomorrow then, I was just wondering if someone already tested it. I was just too lazy to rip and test it at the moment because I'm currently on The Last Story.

Here's some shots I took.

NZNova

Hey guys, I'm running into a wee problem with my new Dolphin setup. I've got everything working fine as far as the emulator goes but the trouble I'm having is with the Wiimote. It connects OK via bluetooth, Dolphin recognises it just fine, but the pointer skips around a lot and isn't very responsive at all. I'm using a wireless battery powered sensor bar and I've tried a couple of different bluetooth adapters.

Anyone have a similar experience and know a way to resolve it?

Ledsen

Hey guys, I'm running into a wee problem with my new Dolphin setup. I've got everything working fine as far as the emulator goes but the trouble I'm having is with the Wiimote. It connects OK via bluetooth, Dolphin recognises it just fine, but the pointer skips around a lot and isn't very responsive at all. I'm using a wireless battery powered sensor bar and I've tried a couple of different bluetooth adapters.

Anyone have a similar experience and know a way to resolve it?

That was my problem. The third-party sensor bar I was using SUCKED when used with Dolphin. I tried using my wired official sensor bar (just letting my Wii idle) and it worked perfectly. So try that.

NZNova

That was my problem. The third-party sensor bar I was using SUCKED when used with Dolphin. I tried using my wired official sensor bar (just letting my Wii idle) and it worked perfectly. So try that.

OK, I'll give that a go tonight - thanks.

Mit-

Can anyone tell me the current status of The Last Story?

Last I checked it had a small handful of problems. Sound related things I believe, maybe some graphic stuff. Have there been fixes/new builds/patches?

I haven't really checked up on Xenoblade lately either, last I checked there was just some sound issues, which I believe have been fixed in some specific patched builds?

Randdalf

Do people just rip the games using CleanRip on a soft modded Wii? I've only ever used the homebrew channel for playing Brawl after Nintendo patched out the region-free disc you could use.

xJavonta

Banned
Can anyone tell me the current status of The Last Story?

Last I checked it had a small handful of problems. Sound related things I believe, maybe some graphic stuff. Have there been fixes/new builds/patches?

I haven't really checked up on Xenoblade lately either, last I checked there was just some sound issues, which I believe have been fixed in some specific patched builds?
The last build I got was complied a few days ago I believe, and it ran iffy for me. Sound issues as well as framerate issues where it would drop to as low as 17 FPS in the city.

I rip them directly in CFG USB loader.
Ditto.

Seik

Banned
Those CC pics reminds me how sad it is that the game obligates people to have multiple GBA/Cables for multiplayer... :(

rjc571

Banned
Yo, has anybody managed to get Red Steel 2 to run well? It occasionally runs at 60 fps, but suffers from massive slowdowns pretty much whenever I'm engaged in combat, or when I first enter a room. I'm using revision 7719 and my OC'd 2600k eats every other game I've thrown at it for breakfast.

Gummb

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about Rayman Legends Wii U.
I remember back in the day when I saw the Crystal Chronicles boat on that water in motion. My friend and I were playing and I told him that THAT was next gen. Everything was going to look as good as that boat and that water. Then, my friend asked, "what about that ground?" I responded, "that ground can go to hell."

Haha, good old times. I still think the boat on the water is one of the most beautiful images last generation. :p

Glass Rebel

Guys, is it possible to play Xenoblade with a 360 controller? I don't feel like picking up a Bluetooth dongle and hook up my CCPro.

Edit: Aw, how did I miss that in the OP? :lol

Kokonoe

Banned
All this time I figured DSP LLE on thread was only for Hyper Threading CPUs, I now have experienced the wonders of and it has considerably sped up all my games. Sonic Colors runs 100% now.

I'll be getting a new Laptop next week, a Lenovo Ideapad with an i7, GT 630, 8GB Ram.

Since most of the specs here are for Desktop setups I have really no idea how this would compare and if it would be able to run Dolphin. Would be really nice to finally getting around experimenting with it.

xJavonta

Banned
All this time I figured DSP LLE on thread was only for Hyper Threading CPUs, I now have experienced the wonders of and it has considerably sped up all my games. Sonic Colors runs 100% now.
WHat exactly is DSP LLE? I have no idea if it's enabled or anything, but I have an HT CPU.
I'll be getting a new Laptop next week, a Lenovo Ideapad with an i7, GT 630, 8GB Ram.

Since most of the specs here are for Desktop setups I have really no idea how this would compare and if it would be able to run Dolphin. Would be really nice to finally getting around experimenting with it.

You'll be fine. I don't know what internal resolution you'll be able to crank it up to though. My 5670 (admittedly a pretty weak card) struggles at anything above 2x internal res. I don't know how the 630 will compare, but be sure to post back with your results!

WHat exactly is DSP LLE? I have no idea if it's enabled or anything, but I have an HT CPU.

You'll be fine. I don't know what internal resolution you'll be able to crank it up to though. My 5670 (admittedly a pretty weak card) struggles at anything above 2x internal res. I don't know how the 630 will compare, but be sure to post back with your results!

I will, I think 2x will be enough as I'm going to use the Laptop screen anyway (1366x768 ca.)
And maybe when I'll get my new Samsung HDTV I can use the HDMI out to play it on that.

Kokonoe

Banned

DSP LLE is the more accurate audio option, but i'm talking about the option "DSP LLE on thread". It actually makes Dolphin use three cores, but the third core is to run audio specifically, and using this has made all my games run at full speed. As long as you have three cores you can use it.

Gaf, I need help. I've set-up and installed Dolphin and it runs fine with the games I have and looks beautiful.

However, I just can't get my head around the Motion Controller set-up side of things.

Could somebody please very obviously point out what I need, like the Sensor Bar etc, and is there a step-by-step guide to make it work.

Also, I'm from the UK so that may limit what I can get my hands on.

xJavonta

Banned
DSP LLE is the more accurate audio option, but i'm talking about the option "DSP LLE on thread". It actually makes Dolphin use three cores, but the third core is to run audio specifically, and using this has made all my games run at full speed. As long as you have three cores you can use it.
Ahh, thanks. I don't actually have a quad, I have a dual core (i3 2100) with 2 virtual cores thanks to Hyper Threading.
Gaf, I need help. I've set-up and installed Dolphin and it runs fine with the games I have and looks beautiful.

However, I just can't get my head around the Motion Controller set-up side of things.

Could somebody please very obviously point out what I need, like the Sensor Bar etc, and is there a step-by-step guide to make it work.

Also, I'm from the UK so that may limit what I can get my hands on.
Are you trying to use an actual Wiimote? If so..

You'll need:
  • Wiimote
  • Bluetooth Adapter (I bought a cheap $1 one from Amazon and it works)
  • OPTIONAL: Sensor Bar. (It helps immensely for games like Skyward Sword and other motion intensive/precision based games)

Now, once you have all of that, plug the Bluetooth Adapter into your computer and let it install the drivers. If you're using Windows 7 it should do it automatically, if it doesn't use the disc that came with your adapter.

Once the drivers are done installing, I recommend restarting your PC just because it helps to be cautious. Once that's done, left click on the arrow on the right side of the taskbar and right click the Bluetooth icon. Once you do that, Select Add New Device
jNfKz.png

Once you do that, you'll see this window pop up. Simultaneously press 1+2 on your Wiimote to sync your Wiimote with the Bluetooth adapter. Once it appears on the screen select it and hit next.
l2P8k.png

Then, you'll see this window come up. Select Pair Without Using A Code and hit next.
f1N9q.png

You'll see a window telling you you've successfully synced the Wiimote with your computer. However you can't do anything with it until you've configured it in Dolphin. We'll do that next.
5LxT2.png

Now that the Wiimote is synced, go into Dolphin and select the Wiimote icon at the top.
1Bigs.png

Then, from the dropdown select Real Wiimote. Then, under Real Wiimotes, hit Refresh and you'll see the number change from 0 connected to 1 connected. Select OK.
bMmlJ.png

Launch a game and you're set!

As far as the sensor bar goes, I either use my Wii Sensor Bar (I keep my Wii on my desk) or when I have the batteries for it I use the Wireless Sensor Bar. Doesn't really matter, you could even use two candles if you wanted to.

Hope this helped a bit

Ahh, thanks. I don't actually have a quad, I have a dual core (i3 2100) with 2 virtual cores thanks to Hyper Threading.

Are you trying to use an actual Wiimote? If so..

You'll need:
  • Wiimote
  • Bluetooth Adapter (I bought a cheap $1 one from Amazon and it works)
  • OPTIONAL: Sensor Bar. (It helps immensely for games like Skyward Sword and other motion intensive/precision based games)

Now, once you have all of that, plug the Bluetooth Adapter into your computer and let it install the drivers. If you're using Windows 7 it should do it automatically, if it doesn't use the disc that came with your adapter.
Ah! Thank you so much! I wasn't really sure what to use as my only previous experience with emulators was PCSX2, and that was simply plug in controller and go.

Much kudos for this. I'll let you know how it goes. :)

xJavonta

Banned
Ah! Thank you so much! I wasn't really sure what to use as my only previous experience with emulators was PCSX2, and that was simply plug in controller and go.

Much kudos for this. I'll let you know how it goes. :)
No problem. It sure is tricky at first but once you figure it out it's a painless process.

Seik

Banned
I played through it on Dolphin too, used an Xbox 360 controller and had a blast. Much better than Wiimote/Nunchuck controls IMO

This is exacly what I'm doing. ^_^ Too bad the first one doesn't have classic controller support, while there's still a way to configure it to a 360 controller, its much more of a hassle.

I played a bit of RE Archives Zero, runs perfectly as well.

re0archivesg6js3.png

xJavonta

Banned
This is exacly what I'm doing. ^_^ Too bad the first one doesn't have classic controller support, while there's still a way to configure it to a 360 controller, its much more of a hassle.

I played a bit of RE Archives Zero, runs perfectly as well.

http://www.abload.de/img/re0archivesg6js3.png

I heard that the first isn't that good. I've never played it but maybe one day I'll get around to it. Supposedly the open world aspect of the game is poorly done.

Holy shit, RE Archives Zero looks damn good

Seik

Banned
Last post tonight, Castlevania Judgement, very standard fighting game, but that soundtrack is damn good and it looks SICK on dolphin, very fluid and no lags.

By the way, xJavonta, since I saw your Dolphin games list I saw that you could save space by compressing your Wii games into .gcz with Dolphin's tool, just in case you didn't knew. It doesn't affect performance or anything, it makes the file just as big as the original WBFS file. I saved tons of space using this. Just SMG2 could save you like 3Gb. :)

trevorvvfgx.png

alucardxqe07.png

Feels like a cheaper Dissidia version of Castlevania, but still, I kinda like it.

By the way, xJavonta, since I saw your Dolphin games list I saw that you could save space by compressing your Wii games into .gcz with Dolphin's tool, just in case you didn't knew. It doesn't affect performance or anything, it makes the file just as big as the original WBFS file. I saved tons of space using this. Just SMG2 could save you like 3Gb. :)
Can you also do this with scrubbed .iso files or it a similar process in the first place?

Seik

Banned
Can you also do this with scrubbed .iso files or it a similar process in the first place?

Dunno, all I can say is that I transfer my WBFS files made from USBloader to ISOs with Wii backup manager for these to work on Dolphin, which will always give an obligatory 4.4Gb ISO unless its a dual-layer, and then compress it to a .gcz with Dolphin's compression tool and it goes back to the original WBFS file's size, which is 'the game' and not 'the game and lots useless space because its an entire DVD'.

Top Bottom