• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

fabricated backlash
(09-08-2012, 04:20 PM)
Well I guess I tested enough to safely say that with the right build, the laptop that I got is more than enough to run even the most demanding games with an average of 30-40fps (with the exception of some games that no matter what you change stay under 30.

My Laptop is a Lenovo Z580
i7 3612QM @2.1GHz (up to 3.1 with Turbo Mode)
nVidia GT 630M 2GB RAM
8GB RAM
Screen Resolution: 1366x768-15.6"

The resolution isn't the problem, as the GPU is more than capable of handling it. In RE4 I have no fps losses when going from 2x internal resolution to 3x internal resolution and even at 4x IR RE4 is still playable at 20-25 fps (poorly playable) Furthermore my screen resolution is 1366x768 anyway so I only need 2x. I force Anti Aliasing through the GPU, and jaggies are minimal.
As for RAM, Dolphin seems to never really use more than 2 GB so it's fine there.

Resident Evil 4

Running at 28-35 fps

Muramasa

running at 50-60fps

Project Zero 2

running at 24-32fps

I also tested SMG2 and it works at 50-60fps. Such a nice looking game.
Necrovex
(09-08-2012, 04:37 PM)

Originally Posted by fabricated backlash

Project Zero 2

running at 24-32fps

One game that I really want to play once I get Dolphin working on my PC. I've been holding off from playing Fatal Frame II, since I heard of its remake on the Wii.
darkpaladinmfc
(09-08-2012, 04:42 PM)

Resident Evil 4

Running at 28-35 fps

Have they managed to fix the BGM cutting out?
fabricated backlash
(09-08-2012, 05:37 PM)

Originally Posted by darkpaladinmfc

Have they managed to fix the BGM cutting out?

Not completely. It jitters at times, but mostly it's fine.

Originally Posted by Necrovex

One game that I really want to play once I get Dolphin working on my PC. I've been holding off from playing Fatal Frame II, since I heard of its remake on the Wii.

I found that the newest versions of Dolphin has some problems with the transparencies, but I might just not have experimented enough.
Last edited by fabricated backlash; 09-08-2012 at 05:42 PM.
Lime
(09-08-2012, 06:25 PM)
@ fabricated backlash

Why aren't you playing Project Zero 2 in proper HD resolution? You're also using imgur and showing jpg screenshots.

Project Zero 2: Wii

Necrovex
(09-08-2012, 06:29 PM)

Originally Posted by Lime

@ fabricated backlash

Why aren't you playing Project Zero 2 in proper HD resolution? You're also using imgur and showing jpg screenshots.

What he said earlier, "Screen Resolution: 1366x768-15.6."

I'm getting a Lenovo too, but I made sure the SR would be 1920 X 1080.
teiresias
Banned
(09-08-2012, 06:56 PM)
Is anyone else unable to get to the Dolphin site? I keep getting Bad Gateway errors for the past few days.
drspeedy
(09-08-2012, 07:03 PM)

Originally Posted by teiresias

Is anyone else unable to get to the Dolphin site? I keep getting Bad Gateway errors for the past few days.

http://www.downforeveryoneorjustme.c...-emulator.com/

Originally Posted by downforeveryoneorjustme.com

It's not just you! http://dolphin-emulator.com looks down from here.
Check another site?

Fou-Lu
(09-08-2012, 07:11 PM)
So now that I'm getting a powerful gaming PC, I have to ask, can dolphin actually run most games at 60 FPS? I'll have an i5 3570k, 8GB of ram and a 7970, so there will be zero hardware limitations.

I wouldn't mind having my entire Wii/GCN collection on my PC running at an internal 1080p if I could.
rjc571
(09-08-2012, 07:48 PM)

Originally Posted by Ichor

So now that I'm getting a powerful gaming PC, I have to ask, can dolphin actually run most games at 60 FPS? I'll have an i5 3570k, 8GB of ram and a 7970, so there will be zero hardware limitations.

I wouldn't mind having my entire Wii/GCN collection on my PC running at an internal 1080p if I could.

Speed isn't an issue for most games, the thing that usually holds the games back from being perfect is glitches with graphics or audio, or random crashing.
Fou-Lu
(09-08-2012, 08:05 PM)

Originally Posted by rjc571

Speed isn't an issue for most games, the thing that usually holds the games back from being perfect is glitches with graphics or audio, or random crashing.

How common are such problems?

I suppose my best bet is to look through compatibility lists on the games I own.
xJavonta
(09-08-2012, 10:04 PM)

Yeah, I just downloaded a custom version and most games now run at a 30 to 50 fps steady. Shame that not all games run with that version, Xenoblade for example doesn't work at all, likewise F-Zero also doesn't work. (12-28 fps)
The version is SVN R 6666M and it allows mobile processors to keep busy instead of going idle every 10 seconds. Judging from my heat monitor, Dolphin isn't even that much of a burden as my laptop/cpu gets a lot hotter when playing Mafia 2 or Just Cause 2.

I get the feeling that I should probably pair my isos with various builds as there is obviously not a single build capable of incorporating the benefits of all builds.

Yeah there are some builds that work better with other games. It's sad but true. And Xenoblade runs at a steady 30FPS for me, which I believe is 100% speed. I'm not a fan of the game though so even if it didn't run full speed I wouldn't care lol

Originally Posted by Ichor

How common are such problems?

I suppose my best bet is to look through compatibility lists on the games I own.

Yeah that's a good idea, although not all games run at 60FPS and not all games need to. For many, 30FPS is 100% speed. As for glitches and such, they're usually promptly fixed as soon as they pinpoint what the problem is. New builds are uploaded daily, so in the event that something gives you a problem you could simply try the newest build.
Fou-Lu
(09-08-2012, 10:24 PM)

Originally Posted by xJavonta

Yeah that's a good idea, although not all games run at 60FPS and not all games need to. For many, 30FPS is 100% speed. As for glitches and such, they're usually promptly fixed as soon as they pinpoint what the problem is. New builds are uploaded daily, so in the event that something gives you a problem you could simply try the newest build.

That's good to hear, as long as I can run Xenoblade and Paper Mario: TTYD I think I would be incredibly happy, anything else would just be icing on the cake.
fabricated backlash
(09-08-2012, 11:12 PM)

Originally Posted by Lime

@ fabricated backlash

Project Zero 2: Wii

I would if my screen supported it. I will try to play it in Full HD once I get my new 46" Samsung TV, in Fact I could run it in 1080p and above allready since I have almost no framedrops when increasing the internal resolution, but right now it's worthless to me to go above 2x IR, when I still need to sort some other things out. Especially Project Zero has lots of bugs and glitches that make me hold off from playing it with Dolphin.
First and foremost the Audio Glitches like the weird off key effect in some cutscenes and the delayed audio in others is really jarring.
skinnyrattler
(09-10-2012, 04:29 AM)
Is it easy to load up HBC onto your wii, rip a game or two, then remove it? I don't want to deal too much with homebrew. I just want to rip RE4 and maybe Metroid: other M and remove that crap.

I just remember people with homebrew having trouble due to Nintendo updates and I don't want any difficulty. I just want my Wii to be okay so I can transfer my games to my upcoming wii u.
xJavonta
(09-10-2012, 05:54 AM)

Originally Posted by skinnyrattler

Is it easy to load up HBC onto your wii, rip a game or two, then remove it? I don't want to deal too much with homebrew. I just want to rip RE4 and maybe Metroid: other M and remove that crap.

I just remember people with homebrew having trouble due to Nintendo updates and I don't want any difficulty. I just want my Wii to be okay so I can transfer my games to my upcoming wii u.

What? You can transfer games to your Wii U? Like WiiWare games?

Also, I don't even think there's been a new Nintendo update. I think 4.3 is the latest one and that one is fully homebrew compatible. Maybe early on in the scene people have had problems with Nintendo updates but now it even asks you if you want to block Nintendo updates so you don't get your HB screwed up. So there's really no point in removing HBC, if you use your Wii it's really useful to have around for multiple reasons.
Seik
(09-10-2012, 05:57 AM)

What? You can transfer games to your Wii U? Like WiiWare games?

IDK for Wiiware games, but I think that, yes, every VC games bought are supposed to be transferable on the WiiU.
TheCongressman1
(09-10-2012, 06:02 AM)
I'm having trouble ripping my games to usb. I've tried using USB Loader GX and I can't get that to work. It just doesn't recognize any device I plug in.

I am running 4.3U and all my homebrew software seems to be up to date. Any suggestions?
xJavonta
(09-10-2012, 06:32 AM)

Originally Posted by Seik

IDK for Wiiware games, but I think that, yes, every VC games bought are supposed to be transferable on the WiiU.

Did they specify how that's going to work? Is it going to be by using your credit card you bought the VC games with? It's all very confusing since Nintendo doesn't exactly have a foundation for this type of stuff built.

Originally Posted by TheCongressman1

I'm having trouble ripping my games to usb. I've tried using USB Loader GX and I can't get that to work. It just doesn't recognize any device I plug in.

I am running 4.3U and all my homebrew software seems to be up to date. Any suggestions?

Have you tried both USB ports on your Wii and is it formatted as NTFS, FAT32 or WBFS?
TheCongressman1
(09-10-2012, 08:31 AM)

Have you tried both USB ports on your Wii and is it formatted as NTFS, FAT32 or WBFS?

Yes both ports, and I've tried NTFS and FAT32.
Last edited by TheCongressman1; 09-10-2012 at 09:21 AM.
TheCongressman1
(09-10-2012, 09:22 AM)
Sorry for the double post, but here's an update on my situation.

I noticed something weird when booting the program. When I start up GX, it says under the logo that a cios can't be found. Shouldn't there be one installed since I did install homebrew through letterbomb, or is this another step I never did?

Edit: Ok, I fixed that. I installed a new cios and the program boots up normally, but it still can't detect my usb drive. All I want to do is back up Skyward Sword and play it on my computer. Is there any other way?
Last edited by TheCongressman1; 09-10-2012 at 09:48 AM.
Datschge
(09-10-2012, 12:39 PM)

Any suggestions?

Go to the Wii homebrew thread and its tutorial, and try out the different cIOS types and combinations outlined there, they all have different compatibilities. E.g. my HDD never worked reliably with d2x and I ended up using Hermes instead.
skinnyrattler
(09-10-2012, 01:09 PM)

Did they specify how that's going to work? Is it going to be by using your credit card you bought the VC games with? It's all very confusing since Nintendo doesn't exactly have a foundation for this type of stuff built.

They didn't state how it would work. I assume am app that you will have to download on both systems or a Nintendo network system update for Wii that is already on the U.
fabricated backlash
(09-10-2012, 01:16 PM)

They didn't state how it would work. I assume am app that you will have to download on both systems or a Nintendo network system update for Wii that is already on the U.

Yeah, pretty much. You would probably use the app on the Wii (TV) while using the Gamepad on the WiiU, and then bind all your Wii content to the WiiU, with an online verification through Nintendos servers. I'd imagine that this process would wipe clean your Wii from all licenses, savegames and other userdata. (just a hunch) It's probable that you'll only be able to transfer the content of one Wii to any given account on the WiiU.

But so far that's just a guess.

I'm currently searching for a good build to play the Last Story and MP3. Any suggestions? I decided to basically search for the best builds for each game and play that way.
jediyoshi
(09-10-2012, 01:38 PM)

Edit: Ok, I fixed that. I installed a new cios and the program boots up normally, but it still can't detect my usb drive. All I want to do is back up Skyward Sword and play it on my computer. Is there any other way?

Never had a problem with GX myself, but I believe cleanrip is your best bet. It's not dependent on any cios so it's a bit more fool proof.
http://wiibrew.org/wiki/CleanRip
AbandonedTrolley
(09-10-2012, 01:45 PM)
Already running Dolphin on my main i5, 560ti setup but was wondering if anyone has any experience of it running on the AMD A4 Fusion chipset using just the integrated graphics?
Ave22
(09-12-2012, 07:05 AM)
Could I have some help in getting Xenoblade to run on my system? I just can't stand playing this on an SDTV knowing the beauty this game is capable of producing.

I ripped the game, downloaded Dolphin, looked up someone's build, and I get to the 'Reading Disc' screen before it fades to white and then eventually fades to black. I don't want maximum graphics and full 1080p, I just want something better than the letterboxed 480i I have to deal with on my TV.

Intel Core i5-2400
3.10GHz
8GB RAM
Windows 7 x64

I would appreciate any help.
Dorfdad
Banned
(09-12-2012, 03:57 PM)
Can someone please tell me how are we to make changes for specific games without screwing up the settings for other games? DO you all run separate copies / folders of the emulator?? I cant find a way to save specific settings per game!
Pro
(09-12-2012, 11:58 PM)
Yep different copies of the emulator and shortcut the games to the relevant configured version of Dolphin
rhfb
(09-13-2012, 12:36 AM)

Originally Posted by Dorfdad

Can someone please tell me how are we to make changes for specific games without screwing up the settings for other games? DO you all run separate copies / folders of the emulator?? I cant find a way to save specific settings per game!

Apparently you can do this with the ini, but it would be nice if this feature was eventually built into Dolphin, seeing as games usually need a bit of tweaking to run their best :(

I just dial in a single game and play that for awhile instead.
Lettuce
(09-13-2012, 02:06 AM)
What are the ideal settings for F-Zero GX on 3.0-766 build? No matter what screen res i select i get choppy frame and stuttering sound!
xJavonta
(09-13-2012, 02:48 AM)

Yes both ports, and I've tried NTFS and FAT32.

Hmm.

What kind of drive is it? If I remember correctly some Seagate drives have some smart drive technology or something that will conflict with certain applications. Or maybe it's Western Digital.

Ahh okay, yeah I'm not sure how it works but I assume it'll be similar to that. At first I was thinking a file transfer using an SD card, but that could lead to piracy.
Dorfdad
Banned
(09-13-2012, 08:11 PM)
Anyone kind enough to give me the command line to auto run the iso? Id like to set this up so it loads and runs the emulator and iso all at once?
xJavonta
(09-13-2012, 09:17 PM)

Originally Posted by Dorfdad

Anyone kind enough to give me the command line to auto run the iso? Id like to set this up so it loads and runs the emulator and iso all at once?

Open up Notepad++ or a notepad and do this

"E:DolphinDolphin.exe" /e "F:DolphinGamesGAMENAME.iso" /b

Then save as .bat. Then use a .bat to .exe converter.
catabarez
(09-13-2012, 09:18 PM)

Open up Notepad++ or a notepad and do this

"E:DolphinDolphin.exe" /e "F:DolphinGamesGAMENAME.iso" /b

Then save as .bat. Then use a .bat to .exe converter.

Or you could make a shortcut and type that stuff in where it says Target. Nice and fast and what I do with Steam.
xJavonta
(09-14-2012, 06:00 AM)

Originally Posted by catabarez

Or you could make a shortcut and type that stuff in where it says Target. Nice and fast and what I do with Steam.

^^^
That too
Zulithe
(09-15-2012, 10:13 PM)
Ordered myself a bluetooth dongle. Fiddled with Dolphin in its early days, but it looks to have improved a TON.
Valjean Lafitte
(09-17-2012, 04:35 AM)
So, I'm finally hopping aboard the 1080p Wii emulation bliss train.

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/Pu...umber=18055291

Are these specs good enough to handle most games at at least close-to-max settings?
Hazaro
relies on auto-aim
(09-17-2012, 04:41 AM)

Originally Posted by RockXLight

So, I'm finally hopping aboard the 1080p Wii emulation bliss train.

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/Pu...umber=18055291

Are these specs good enough to handle most games at at least close-to-max settings?

Yup.

Just swap your HDD to this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822236339

The Samsungs are now just Seagate branded drives.
Valjean Lafitte
(09-17-2012, 05:06 PM)

Originally Posted by Hazaro

Yup.

Just swap your HDD to this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822236339

The Samsungs are now just Seagate branded drives.

Sweet. Thanks. :)
Ratrat
(09-18-2012, 07:05 AM)
Can you rip wii games without a wii?
Datschge
(09-18-2012, 07:15 PM)
Yes, but nowadays it's both easier and faster with a Wii.
Valjean Lafitte
(09-20-2012, 04:11 PM)

Originally Posted by Datschge

Yup. Only takes 15-30 minutes to rip one game.
Arpeggio23
(09-20-2012, 05:51 PM)
I hope someone can help me with this.

I would only be interested in using Dolphin for Xenoblade Chronicles, The Last Story, and Tales of Symphonia (Gamecube). Would I actually need any of the following?:

Wiimote (Recommended): many games require motions that cannot be mapped to the keyboard.
Motion+ (Recommended): a real motion+ attachment is required for motion+ games.
Bluetooth Adaptor (Required for Wiimote): view this list to find one compatible with the Wiimote so that it can sync to your PC.
Wireless Sensor Bar (Recommended for Wiimote): so you don't have to use the one attached to your Wii.

I don't want to use any of those things for any reason, even initial setup. So, I would not use Dolphin at all if I had to use any of those things at any time.
Pro
(09-20-2012, 08:18 PM)

Originally Posted by Arpeggio23

I hope someone can help me with this.

I would only be interested in using Dolphin for Xenoblade Chronicles, The Last Story, and Tales of Symphonia (Gamecube). Would I actually need any of the following?:

I don't want to use any of those things for any reason, even initial setup. So, I would not use Dolphin at all if I had to use any of those things at any time.

No you would not need any of the items listed to play Xenoblade Chronicles, The Last Story, and Tales of Symphonia. All can be played using a Gamepad (USB XBOX 360 controller is best) or keyboard.
Arpeggio23
(09-20-2012, 08:41 PM)

Originally Posted by Pro

No you would not need any of the items listed to play Xenoblade Chronicles, The Last Story, and Tales of Symphonia. All can be played using a Gamepad (USB XBOX 360 controller is best) or keyboard.

Great, thank you very much!
Necrovex
(09-20-2012, 09:01 PM)

Originally Posted by Datschge

Originally Posted by RockXLight

Yup. Only takes 15-30 minutes to rip one game.

I have homebrew for my Wii, how do I exactly rip my Wii games into an iso file? That seems to be my only problem now to get Dolphin working on my desktop.
Shadow Hog
(09-20-2012, 09:06 PM)

I have homebrew for my Wii, how do I exactly rip my Wii games into an iso file? That seems to be my only problem now to get Dolphin working on my desktop.

I used CleanRip and an external HDD, myself.
Alistair Roo
(09-22-2012, 08:08 AM)
Can someone be kind enough to make some Helena screenshots from Pandora's Tower?
I already have the one posted pages ago but I'd love to see more from this character :P
Fuzzy
I would bang a hot farmer!
(09-22-2012, 09:19 AM)

Under NTFS section.

http://gwht.wikidot.com/usb-loader