• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption - 360 & PS3 comparison (Bish-approved!)

UFRA

bishoptl said:
I bought the PS3 version and cut myself on the jaggiez walking out the store

heading home to drink beer and play this game with bandaged hands :(

Shit just got real.

coopolon

Hmmm...I am only half an hour in, but the 360 version has some goddawful aliasing. It's been awhile since I played GTA4 on the console though, so not sure if it's more then that.

coopolon said:
Hmmm...I am only half an hour in, but the 360 version has some goddawful aliasing. It's been awhile since I played GTA4 on the console though, so not sure if it's more then that.

Stop using component cables and you won't be getting terrible overscanned image on your tv anymore.

Well..

This and being forced to use L2/R2 to shoot made this game a pick up at $30 or lower (which should be around the holidays).

soldat7

coopolon said:

You are exaggerating, good sir.

Brizzo24

Might've already been covered elsewhere, but here goes: can you dual-wield in this game? And if so, what weapons can you do it with?

dofry

That's "Dr." dofry to you.
bishoptl said:

They're selling it at Home Depot close to my house. Pre-order bonus was sandpaper and I saw some happy lumberjacks walking out of the store with a few copies. Properly gloved of course.

NinjaBoiX

surly said:
I hope that I get enough posts soon so that the "Junior" part of my member title disappears, then I too can look down my nose at people with fewer posts than me and call them fucktards.

I think some of the other "Juniors" make a fair point. I was going to get the 360 version for the higher res, faster loading times and better framerate, but now I'm worried that my postman might decide to stamp all over my 360 disc and scratch it to shit, so I might just have to get the PS3 version instead as that's postman-proof, plus I'm not sure I can get the disc from the case to the disc tray without dropping it into a pile of barbed wire and broken glass, so a scratch resistant Blu-Ray is possibly the way to go.
Nicely said dude. Fucktards unite! :lol

Truant

My TV is a samsung 40" 720p TV from 2007, using component. Would I get a big switch in image quality switching to HDMI?

FrankT

Truant said:
My TV is a samsung 40" 720p TV from 2007, using component. Would I get a big switch in image quality switching to HDMI?

Not big. I've always thought the jump was pretty slight, but ultimately worth it.

I've skimmed through most of this thread and sadly I'm not sure when people are serious or not, I own both systems, am I understanding that the 360 is much better version?

straight answer please

The level of indecisiveness in this thread made me forget what it was that ought to be settled.

GOW 3 looks good right ? I'm picking that up (on PS3)

JRW

bishoptl said:

Best post in this thread.

JRW

Truant said:

On my 50" Pioneer Kuro going from Component to HDMI wasn't a huge deal but it did look slightly sharper and colors looked better IMO, I'd say its was worth it. (Xbox360).

belvedere

Junior Butler
Game looks great out in the wide open spaces, glorious mountain ranges, ridges and backdrops.

Then my buddy came to a town. The geometry of the buildings and interiors looked quite aliased (360). Still a damn pretty game.

SamBa said:
What's wrong with MGS4? That they opted for 768p (1024x768)? That's the native resolution of older CRT HDTVs and many currently sold Plasma based HDTVs. Probably quite common in Japan.

Um, there's no way to actually get a PS3 to OUTPUT 768p, so any native resolution advantage would be eliminated by the two passes of scaling.

coopolon

Truant said:

Big improvement? No, probably not. $2.39 worth of an improvement? Absolutely. Hell, convenience alone is worth $2.39, the added picture quality is a bonus.

Truespeed

Has Rockstar ever made an HD PS3 game? Apparently, they let the interns do the PS3 port again. Oh well, 360 version it is when the slim arrives.

Truespeed

Ken Masters said:
so 360 version it is, now just need to wait for that $40 sale that's inevitably comes after 3-4 weeks after any game comes out

Fuck the sale, be an outlaw and stuff it down your pants at the Kmart.

lethial

Reeeeeeee
This thread almost makes me not want to buy the game because I might end up playing with some of you chuckle heads online.

Porkepik

Got my RDR today with as a freebie, the bluray of The good, the bad and the ugly :)

Just enjoy the game guys, the differences are minimal, bought the 360 version just to be able to install it fully

hatchx

Banned
What the hell is going on in this thread?

Did the botch the PS3 port like Bayonetta? I'm actually very interested in this game and I only have PS3.

Can someone do a non-joking summary?

Ken Masters said:
so 360 version it is, now just need to wait for that $40 sale that's inevitably comes after 3-4 weeks after any game comes out

I got it for $40 on launch day through Amazon.com

hatchx said:
I'm actually very interested in this game and I only have PS3.

I think the choice on which version to get is pretty easy for you then.

Truespeed

hatchx said:
What the hell is going on in this thread?

Did the botch the PS3 port like Bayonetta? I'm actually very interested in this game and I only have PS3.

Can someone do a non-joking summary?

Ironically, Bayonetta on the PS3 is 720p and 30FPS for the most part. PS3 version of RDR is 640p and missing about 20% of the pixels of the 360 version. Frame rate is a stable 30FPS until the action gets hectic.

Nizz

TheThunder said:
Well..

This and being forced to use L2/R2 to shoot made this game a pick up at $30 or lower (which should be around the holidays).
Ohh nooo. They did that? Enthusiasm for the game just dropped a bit. :(

Aspiring

Now not caring for all this console warrior bullshit, What are the real differences? I mean, what are these PS3 exclusive things i read about somewhere and do they make a difference to gameplay or are they just extra costumes? I have the 360 version pre-ordered, but would change it if there is extra gameplay on PS3.

hatchx

Banned
Truespeed said:
Ironically, Bayonetta on the PS3 is 720p and 30FPS for the most part. PS3 version of RDR is 640p and missing about 20% of the pixels of the 360 version. Frame rate is a stable 30FPS until the action gets hectic.

Damnit! So I guess I'll skip this one. Jumpy framerate gives me a headache.

Is the 360 said to have stable framerate?

jaaz

Damn this thread, it's made me buy the game for my 360 instead of my PS3, which means I have to move my 360 next to my PS3 so I can play this game on a better HDTV and sound system. Game deserves no less it seems.

miamijaaz is my live handle. See you online!

imtehman

Banned
bishoptl said:

i don't have the ps3 version, but i can tell you the 360 has its jaggies as well.

I'm gonna have to double dip for the PC version as well it seems

Dabanton

Aspiring said:
Now not caring for all this console warrior bullshit, What are the real differences? I mean, what are these PS3 exclusive things i read about somewhere and do they make a difference to gameplay or are they just extra costumes? I have the 360 version pre-ordered, but would change it if there is extra gameplay on PS3.

The PS3 extras are a hat and a hideout with bandits to fight.

Mobius 1

I dont think graphics, and in this case minor graphic differences, can possibly affect the enjoyment of this game. It's just so well designed and written.

jaaz

imtehman said:
I'm gonna have to double dip for the PC version as well it seems

Same here. I have the PS3 version of GTAIV and bought the PC version not too long ago. It's a memory hog, but damn it looks amazing. I'm replaying it because it feels like a whole new game. (Correction, I WAS replaying it but now that RDR is home, the replay will have to wait!)

coopolon said:
If only it were that easy. HDMI here.

Then try VGA.

720P image with 2xMSAA should look crisp as shit on most sets. Unless you are on 1080P then most 360 games are going to have jaggies.

My set is 1360x768 native res, and every 720P game I have looks really crystal clear and clean. However when I used component I'd get jaggies due to overscanning.

Top Bottom