• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Tenbatsu
(05-25-2010, 07:55 AM)
Tenbatsu's Avatar
[IMG]http://i45.************/245zpzk.png[/IMG]
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/fe/
InsaneZero
Member
(05-25-2010, 07:55 AM)
InsaneZero's Avatar
So, now we get a Mystery of the Emblem remake now, huh?

Poor Gaiden, nobody cares.
FSLink
Member
(05-25-2010, 07:58 AM)
FSLink's Avatar
Whoo, Mystery of the Emblem remake.
Though I still think they should have just stuck FE1+3 on the same card like they did with the original SNES remake of FE1.
I heard they did that because it was the anniversary of the Famicom or something, but they really probably just wanted to milk it.
Hours Left
Member
(05-25-2010, 07:58 AM)
Hours Left's Avatar
Woot.

Thank goodness they've (presumably) moved away from the bland 3D art style of Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon.
ReiGun
They call me "Mr Soap"
(05-25-2010, 08:00 AM)
ReiGun's Avatar
I suck totally at FE, but hot damn do I love them so. Love these remakes for letting me play the originals (sorta).
Bebpo
trying to mount a comeback
(05-25-2010, 08:00 AM)
Bebpo's Avatar

Originally Posted by FSLink

Whoo, Mystery of the Emblem remake.
Though I still think they should have just stuck FE1+3 on the same card like they did with the original SNES remake of FE1.
I heard they did that because it was the anniversary of the Famicom or something, but they really probably just wanted to milk it.

Quick, someone explain the timeline of FE games for non-FE people. Because this post does not make any sense to me :|

The last DS one was a remake of FE1, correct?
This is a remake of...?
Cosmo Clock 21
Member
(05-25-2010, 08:02 AM)
Cosmo Clock 21's Avatar

Originally Posted by Bebpo

Quick, someone explain the timeline of FE games for non-FE people. Because this post does not make any sense to me :|

The last DS one was a remake of FE1, correct?
This is a remake of...?

The original FE3 for the Super Famicon included a remake of FE1. Mystery of the Emblem is a direct sequel to Shadow Dragon.
Last edited by Cosmo Clock 21; 05-25-2010 at 08:06 AM.
InsaneZero
Member
(05-25-2010, 08:03 AM)
InsaneZero's Avatar

Originally Posted by Bebpo

Quick, someone explain the timeline of FE games for non-FE people. Because this post does not make any sense to me :|

The last DS one was a remake of FE1, correct?
This is a remake of...?

FE3
lupin23rd
Member
(05-25-2010, 08:03 AM)
Damn for some reason I thought this was a remake of Geneology of Holy War :lol

Still day one though.
Big One
Member
(05-25-2010, 08:04 AM)
Big One's Avatar
Oh god I expected this to be another one of those Famitsu fakes...good news, regardless. The game definitely needs a remake.

Edit: Wait, thought it was a remake of Gaiden. So...they're remaking a remake? Wtf.
Bebpo
trying to mount a comeback
(05-25-2010, 08:04 AM)
Bebpo's Avatar
Ok, so then why are they skipping FE2? Was FE3 a direct sequel to FE1 while FE2 was something entirely different?
Jive Turkey
Member
(05-25-2010, 08:04 AM)
Jive Turkey's Avatar
Sweet. Still have to play Shadow Dragon too.

Would like to see FE6 since it ties into 7.
Cep
Banned
(05-25-2010, 08:04 AM)
Please look like FE6-8
Please look like FE6-8
Please look like FE6-8
Please look like FE6-8
Please look like FE6-8
Please look like FE6-8
Please look like FE6-8
Please look like FE6-8
Please look like FE6-8
Please look like FE6-8
Please look like FE6-8
Please look like FE6-8
Please look like FE6-8
Please look like FE6-8
Please look like FE6-8
ethelred
Member
(05-25-2010, 08:05 AM)
ethelred's Avatar

Originally Posted by Bebpo

Quick, someone explain the timeline of FE games for non-FE people. Because this post does not make any sense to me :|

The last DS one was a remake of FE1, correct?
This is a remake of...?

Fire Emblem 3 was a remake of the original Fire Emblem with a second scenario added. Fire Emblem DS was a thoroughly mediocre second remake of the original Fire Emblem, only with the second scenario added in the first remake stripped away. Now they're remaking the remake.

Absolutely terrible. Intelligent Systems should be ashamed.
InsaneZero
Member
(05-25-2010, 08:06 AM)
InsaneZero's Avatar

Originally Posted by Bebpo

Ok, so then why are they skipping FE2? Was FE3 a direct sequel to FE1 while FE2 was something entirely different?

In a word: Yes.

Gaiden's a weird one that didn't exactly follow the formula that the original FE set.
Cep
Banned
(05-25-2010, 08:06 AM)

Originally Posted by ethelred

Fire Emblem 3 was a remake of the original Fire Emblem with a second scenario added. Fire Emblem DS was a thoroughly mediocre second remake of the original Fire Emblem, only with the second scenario added in the first remake stripped away. Now they're remaking the remake.

Absolutely terrible. Intelligent Systems should be ashamed.

Shame is for decent folk.

I vote for a flogging.
Bebpo
trying to mount a comeback
(05-25-2010, 08:06 AM)
Bebpo's Avatar

Originally Posted by ethelred

Fire Emblem 3 was a remake of the original Fire Emblem with a second scenario added. Fire Emblem DS was a thoroughly mediocre second remake of the original Fire Emblem, only with the second scenario added in the first remake stripped away. Now they're remaking the remake.

Absolutely terrible. Intelligent Systems should be ashamed.

Wait, so will this just be the 2nd scenario? Or will this be the last DS game + 2nd scenario? Because the latter would seem weird since FE DS was still pretty recent.
Cep
Banned
(05-25-2010, 08:07 AM)

Originally Posted by Bebpo

Wait, so will this just be the 2nd scenario? Or will this be the last DS game + 2nd scenario? Because the latter would seem weird since FE DS was still pretty recent.

Almost 100% guaranteed to be the sans remake, but with additional content.
Jive Turkey
Member
(05-25-2010, 08:08 AM)
Jive Turkey's Avatar

Originally Posted by ethelred

Fire Emblem 3 was a remake of the original Fire Emblem with a second scenario added. Fire Emblem DS was a thoroughly mediocre second remake of the original Fire Emblem, only with the second scenario added in the first remake stripped away. Now they're remaking the remake.

Absolutely terrible. Intelligent Systems should be ashamed.

Aw crap. Hype suddenly at zero. :(
Pureauthor
(05-25-2010, 08:09 AM)
Pureauthor's Avatar
What is... why...

If this is the case, then what was Shadow Dragon ever for?
InsaneZero
Member
(05-25-2010, 08:10 AM)
InsaneZero's Avatar

Originally Posted by Pureauthor

What is... why...

If this is the case, then what was Shadow Dragon ever for?

Splitting up Book 1 and Book 2 for gains and profit?
SalsaShark
Trust no one!
Keep your laser handy!
(05-25-2010, 08:11 AM)
SalsaShark's Avatar
The ds just keeps on giving. Awesome news.
Hours Left
Member
(05-25-2010, 08:11 AM)
Hours Left's Avatar
I don't think Book 1 is going to be on this cart. It's most likely to an expanded book 2, so it's going to be brand new to the majority of people outside of Japan. (Maybe it will be Gaiden and book 2... >_>)
jj984jj
He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
(05-25-2010, 08:12 AM)
jj984jj's Avatar

Originally Posted by Bebpo

Ok, so then why are they skipping FE2? Was FE3 a direct sequel to FE1 while FE2 was something entirely different?

FE2 is Fire Emblem Gaiden, there is no official numbering so fans have just give every entry a number. FE3 is a remake of the first game with a new scenario, Book 1 was the remake and Book 2 was the new scenario. This is probably just a remake of Book 2.

These DS games should make fans rethink their stance though, or at least I think so. I'm still waiting for FE11.
Wii
Banned
(05-25-2010, 08:14 AM)
Have they ditched the stupid artstyle from the DS game?
AniHawk
Cranky. Very cranky.
Rather sarcastic to boot.
(05-25-2010, 08:15 AM)
AniHawk's Avatar
Awesome. I hope we get Genealogy of Holy War since it's still considered by some to be the best, and Thracia 776 since it's one of the hardest games ever made.
ShockingAlberto
Member
(05-25-2010, 08:15 AM)
ShockingAlberto's Avatar

Originally Posted by Gunloc

Woot.

Thank goodness they've (presumably) moved away from the bland 3D art style of Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon.

Haha

I'm not saying they didn't change artstyles, but I would bet against it.
VOOK
We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
(05-25-2010, 08:16 AM)
VOOK's Avatar
So hang on, what's this one called then?
Sir Ilpalazzo
Member
(05-25-2010, 08:17 AM)
Sir Ilpalazzo's Avatar
I think it should be mentioned that the Book 1 remake of the first game is actually shortened and has several characters cut out. The DS remake is more faithful to the actual first game, so it's not a remake of a remake at all.

I just beat the third game a few weeks ago, so I'm excited about this.

Originally Posted by AniHawk

Awesome. I hope we get Genealogy of Holy War since it's still considered by some to be the best, and Thracia 776 since it's one of the hardest games ever made.

I wonder if FE4 could make it without censorship. It was a hilarious moment when I paired up two lovers only to have a support conversation reveal that they are probably brother and sister.

Originally Posted by VOOK

So hang on, what's this one called then?

Shin Monshou no Nazo - something (New Mystery of the Emblem).
Last edited by Sir Ilpalazzo; 05-25-2010 at 08:20 AM.
Aon
Member
(05-25-2010, 08:19 AM)
Aon's Avatar
I'm dissapointed by the remake. Would've liked something designed from the ground up for 2010.
FSLink
Member
(05-25-2010, 08:19 AM)
FSLink's Avatar

Originally Posted by AniHawk

Awesome. I hope we get Genealogy of Holy War since it's still considered by some to be the best, and Thracia 776 since it's one of the hardest games ever made.

I kind of frown upon remakes, but on the other hand, we'd finally get US releases for FE4 and FE5, so bring on the milking. :D

Though hopefully for FE5 they include the original difficulty in there somewhere for a US release instead of toning it down considerably like they usually do. I'd like the option to choose between easy US modes and the original ball busting Japanese difficulties!
Cosmo Clock 21
Member
(05-25-2010, 08:21 AM)
Cosmo Clock 21's Avatar

Originally Posted by FSLink

I kind of frown upon remakes, but on the other hand, we'd finally get US releases for FE4 and FE5, so bring on the milking. :D

Though hopefully for FE5 they include the original difficulty in there somewhere for a US release instead of toning it down considerably like they usually do. I'd like the option to choose between easy US modes and the original ball busting Japanese difficulties!

In a crazy fantasy world, we'd unlock Thracia 776 as a reward for completing FE4DS on Hard mode.
Sir Ilpalazzo
Member
(05-25-2010, 08:22 AM)
Sir Ilpalazzo's Avatar
Shadow Dragon's hardest modes are supposedly about as hard as Thracia, so they probably wouldn't remove that option now. I would hate to see Genealogy toned down any more, though.
vareon
Member
(05-25-2010, 08:24 AM)
vareon's Avatar
Kinda disappointed that it was a remake, but at least it's another Fire Emblem :D
commanderdeek
Member
(05-25-2010, 08:27 AM)
commanderdeek's Avatar
But will there be support conversations?
Regulus Tera
Romanes Eunt Domus
(05-25-2010, 08:29 AM)
Regulus Tera's Avatar
I STILL HAVEN'T BEAT THE FIRST ONE

FUCK
FSLink
Member
(05-25-2010, 08:29 AM)
FSLink's Avatar

Originally Posted by Sir Ilpalazzo

Shadow Dragon's hardest modes are supposedly about as hard as Thracia, so they probably wouldn't remove that option now.

Speaking of which, what would be the next hardest games after those (I haven't played the GC or Wii ones)? Currently playing Swords of Seals Hard Mode and it's kicking my ass.
Sir Ilpalazzo
Member
(05-25-2010, 08:30 AM)
Sir Ilpalazzo's Avatar
To what extent? The first DS remake already added something like that.

Not every Fire Emblem needs full-fledged support conversations, just like not every Fire Emblem needs love systems or capturing. Let that be one of the defining features of the GBA entries (although I wouldn't complain if it was in, it's just not that important).

Originally Posted by FSLink

Speaking of which, what would be the next hardest games after those (I haven't played the GC or Wii ones)? Currently playing Swords of Seals Hard Mode and it's kicking my ass.

The hardest games in the series are FE5 (Thracia), maybe FE7 Hector Hard Mode, FE9 Maniac mode (Japan-only), and FEDS Hard 5 mode. FE5 is probably the hardest in terms of design, though.
Sir Ilpalazzo
Member
(05-25-2010, 08:31 AM)
Sir Ilpalazzo's Avatar
EDIT: Sorry, double post.
InsaneZero
Member
(05-25-2010, 08:35 AM)
InsaneZero's Avatar

Originally Posted by Sir Ilpalazzo

To what extent? The first DS remake already added something like that.

Not every Fire Emblem needs full-fledged support conversations, just like not every Fire Emblem needs love systems or capturing. Let that be one of the defining features of the GBA entries (although I wouldn't complain if it was in, it's just not that important).

FE4's love system can't be replicated due to it's rather unique nature, but support and capturing I can see put into future games. I loved capturing, it brought about so many different tactical options.
A Black Falcon
Member
(05-25-2010, 08:37 AM)
A Black Falcon's Avatar

Originally Posted by Sir Ilpalazzo

I think it should be mentioned that the Book 1 remake of the first game is actually shortened and has several characters cut out. The DS remake is more faithful to the actual first game, so it's not a remake of a remake at all.

I just beat the third game a few weeks ago, so I'm excited about this.

That may be true, but still, separating them again is pretty inexcusable. Shadow Dragon should have included the whole game of FE3, not just the first half. Shadow Dragon is easily my least favorite FE game of the ones that have been released in the US, no question. It is cool that they left in all five or so difficulty levels though, finally a US FE game with no reduced difficulty, but still, the game has problems. The plot is simplistic compared to newer FE games and most of the character selection less interesting (so many generic guys...), it's missing gameplay features I'd expect like rescuing other characters or supports of some kind (though Radiant Dawn cutting back on them was too bad as well).

The poor CG-rendered art style doesn't exactly help either, of course. I've played 7 and 8 on the GBA so, so much, heck since getting a DS in 2007 I've probably played those two in it almost as much as most of my DS games all combined, and I'd gotten both of them several years earlier too. And the GC and Wii FE games do a fine job with both their 2d and 3d art. I don't know what happened with Shadow Dragon, but it is unfortunate.

Unfortunately, given series history, I'd expect this game to reuse SD's graphics engine. We'll see, hopefully the style will change, but I'm not really hopeful I think.


Anyway, as for this game, I also was hoping for a real new FE game, not another remake like the last one, particularly considering that that last one disappointed. Will this one be better? Hopefully, but still, I'd rather have seen something new I think, either for DS or Wii. Perhaps this will be great though, we'll see. And it will be nice to see an English official release of another classic FE game. :)
Glass Soldier
Banned
(05-25-2010, 08:38 AM)
This can't be the only thing IS has been working on... right, guys?
Nuclear Muffin
Banned
(05-25-2010, 08:39 AM)
Nuclear Muffin's Avatar
This will almost certainly be an expanded version of book 2. I'm betting that Nintendo want to remake all of FE1-6 and release them outside of Japan at some point.

Personally, I don't see why they just translate the original VC versions and sell them for a higher price than the typical 900 points price. Would be a lot easier than making the games from scratch.

Unfortunately, given series history, I'd expect this game to reuse SD's graphics engine. We'll see, hopefully the style will change, but I'm not really hopeful I think.

Re-using a graphics engine doesn't mean that they have to reuse sprites, but yeah I still wouldn't be surprised if they do.
vareon
Member
(05-25-2010, 08:42 AM)
vareon's Avatar

Originally Posted by Sir Ilpalazzo

To what extent? The first DS remake already added something like that.

Not every Fire Emblem needs full-fledged support conversations, just like not every Fire Emblem needs love systems or capturing. Let that be one of the defining features of the GBA entries (although I wouldn't complain if it was in, it's just not that important).

I liked them. It's good know the characters better.
MidnightScott
Banned
(05-25-2010, 08:42 AM)
MidnightScott's Avatar
Interesting, except I dumped Shadow Dragon. The only one I put some time into was The Sacred Stones. I also have Path of Radiance...:d
Hours Left
Member
(05-25-2010, 08:43 AM)
Hours Left's Avatar
I'm hoping that they add back most of the book 1 characters dropped from the original book 2. It seems like if you were not a teen or a pretty girl then you were dropped in favor of more teenagers.

Originally Posted by ShockingAlberto

Haha

I'm not saying they didn't change artstyles, but I would bet against it.

Well, the artwork in the teaser video is already a big improvement over the artwork from Shadow Dragon. I'd like to see the graphics will get an overhaul too, it was one of the most frequently discusses problems most had with the game.
Last edited by Hours Left; 05-25-2010 at 08:47 AM.
Regulus Tera
Romanes Eunt Domus
(05-25-2010, 08:45 AM)
Regulus Tera's Avatar
I see they backed away from hiring popular hentai artist Shirow Masamune this time around.

I approve.
Cynar
Member
(05-25-2010, 08:45 AM)
Cynar's Avatar

Originally Posted by Wii

Have they ditched the stupid artstyle from the DS game?

I hope so!
SilverLunar
Member
(05-25-2010, 08:46 AM)
SilverLunar's Avatar
OMG, neat!

I was pissed off that they didn't include the second book in the remake, now i can see why :lol
mjemirzian
Banned
(05-25-2010, 08:48 AM)

Originally Posted by Sir Ilpalazzo

The hardest games in the series are FE5 (Thracia), maybe FE7 Hector Hard Mode, FE9 Maniac mode (Japan-only), and FEDS Hard 5 mode. FE5 is probably the hardest in terms of design, though.

The FE series is only difficult if you're playing for rank. Any unranked games are open to all manner of abuse which I'm sure you're aware. It's why FE9 and FE DS can't be considered legitimate challenges.

You're only partially right about your list. FE5 SSS rank and FE7 HHM S rank are the two most difficult FE challenges. FE9 mania mode and FE DS Hard level 5 are only difficult if you restrain yourself from abusing the system because you have infinite turns to clear the game.

Anyway unlike a lot of fanboys I have no opinion on artistic preferences or reverence for the originals. IS and Nintendo are one of the few quality developers out there who cater to players of most skill levels. See SMG2 for a recent example. FE Fanboys are pretty terrifying when they start pseudo-intellectual bickering though.
Last edited by mjemirzian; 05-25-2010 at 08:59 AM.

Thread Tools