• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumour: Activision remaking Goldeneye for Wii

Peff

Shiggy said:
They've done a pretty good job with Dead Space Wii, haven't they?

Btw, this Wii remake should also make some Xbox Live Arcade fans happy - the Xbox remake should see a release too.

Um, isn't it just "a" GoldenEye? It's probably a brand new title trying to be as close to the original as the legal system allows. I think someone denied the XBLA rumour again not long ago, and it's impossible that Activision gets to do a remake without MS benefitting too.

Shiggy

Cow Mengde said:
That wasn't what I meant. I meant the part where you confirm the game in the works.

I did not confirm this, it was a former Eurocom employee who confirmed it.

DS:E sucked monkey fuck. Their "sequel" to Goldeneye on the N64 was pretty solid. Not the greatest game in the world, but for a movie licensed game, it wasn't bad at all. That was over 10 years ago.

They can't make it that worse if it's a remake.

thefro

Guardian Bob said:
The important word is REMAKE. So they might not need any of Nintendo/Rare's code.

That's a good point... I would assume EON retains the licensing rights to the actual movie sets the game was based off of, so you could make another game based off the movie which would be very similar (i.e. Facility is ripped straight from what we see in the movie set).

Also, there was this a few months ago:
http://commanderbond.net/8123/goldeneye-2010-on-the-cards-for-activision.html
http://commanderbond.net/10232/activision-registers-new-goldeneye-game-domain-name.html

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
What's the point? I assume the original level designs are off-limits, unless there's been some deal with Rare and Nintendo, and I don't think Eurocom will be able to do any better.

Shiggy

Peff said:
Um, isn't it just "a" GoldenEye? It's probably a brand new title trying to be as close to the original as the legal system allows. I think someone denied the XBLA rumour again not long ago, and it's impossible that Activision gets to do a remake without MS benefitting too.

This appears to be a full remake, if we assume that this survey is legit. This can only be possible if Rare allowed it. But wouldn't Rare only allow a Wiimake if they were allowed to release their XBLA version? And that again would only be allowed by Nintendo if there was a full Wiimake (which Eurocom seems to do right now).
Activision and Rare/MGS already agreed that the XBLA version would be OK for both (don't know under what kind of business agreements), it was Nintendo who did not want to get the old version of GoldenEye when there is a much better version available on XBLA. Thus the GE XBLA deal was cancelled, but now there seem to be some new developments ;)

Peff

Shiggy said:
This appears to be a full remake, if we assume that this survey is legit. This can only be possible if Rare allowed it. But wouldn't Rare only allow a Wiimake if they were allowed to release their XBLA version? And that again would only be allowed by Nintendo if there was a full Wiimake (which Eurocom seems to do right now).
Activision and Rare/MGS already agreed that the XBLA version would be OK for both (don't know under what kind of business agreements), it was Nintendo who did not want to get the old version of GoldenEye when there is a much better version available on XBLA. Thus the GE XBLA deal was cancelled, but now there seem to be some new developments ;)

It's possible, we'll find out soon. It looked amazing, so it would be very nice to finally get it.

RedSwirl

Didn't Rare already have an XBLA/WiiWare update of GoldenEye code complete with all the same upgrades they gave Perfect Dark before it got stuck behind licensing hurdles?

Unless it's the same old code and levels, slapping the GoldenEye name on a new game is useless.

Shiggy said:
I did not confirm this, it was a former Eurocom employee who confirmed it.

They can't make it that worse if it's a remake.

No, I think they can do a good job provided the original team that made the N64 sequel is there. The game also has a slid foundation is it's a remake.

As for not being able to make a remake worse... well... it's happened before.

teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-turtles-in-time-re-shelled-20090601074358051_640w.jpg

AniHawk

GoldenEye is SO outdated these days. I mean, the first PD is SO outdated these days and it was a great deal better than GE.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Cow Mengde said:
DS:E sucked monkey fuck.
Nah, it was great for what it was. Some people just wanted something really different.

Dascu

Cow Mengde said:
No, I think they can do a good job provided the original team that made the N64 sequel is there. The game also has a slid foundation is it's a remake.

As for not being able to make a remake worse... well... it's happened before.

http://xboxlivemedia.ign.com/xboxlive/image/article/989/989202/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-turtles-in-time-re-shelled-20090601074358051_640w.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
But that was UbiSoft, an inept and incompetent publisher that's all about hype and buzzwords with little actual quality to back it up.

Activision is nothing like that.

:-)

evangd007

RedSwirl said:
Didn't Rare already have an XBLA/WiiWare update of GoldenEye code complete with all the same upgrades they gave Perfect Dark before it got stuck behind licensing hurdles?

Unless it's the same old code and levels, slapping the GoldenEye name on a new game is useless.

Rare made an XBLA update, with improved graphics and online play. MS made the offer to Nintendo to allow the release in exchange for them allowing a Virtual Console release of the original. Nintendo thought this was a bad deal on their end and vetoed it.

Shiggy

AwesomeSyrup said:
Why no 360/PS3 version? :(

I don't think that Microsoft or Nintendo would allow a direct remake for PS3.
In addition, there's Bizarre's mission based Bloodstone later this year.

Shiggy

TheKingsCrown said:
iy0aqw.jpg

All I know is that this controller is super hot.

That one does not exist in reality (found in the GN comments)...marketing folks don't take official shots to alter them anymore.
Classic-Controller-Pro.jpg

Peff

evangd007 said:
Rare made an XBLA update, with improved graphics and online play. MS made the offer to Nintendo to allow the release in exchange for them allowing a Virtual Console release of the original.

And the rest of the Rare back-catalog, apparently.

pakkit

Banned
Cow Mengde said:
DS:E sucked monkey fuck.

We can't be friends.

One thing really annoyed me about that game though, and that was the fact that my flame thrower still worked in outer space.

Taker666

Shiggy said:

The text from the alleged survey actually says "the legend is re-imagined".

Re-imaged doesn't mean it's a remake.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
The "survey" at NoGintendo might indeed be fake.

But, Activision is making a Goldeneye for Wii. Eurocom is the developer.

Edit: I see Shiggy beat me to the punch. I tip my hat to you.

cacildo

cacildo said:
2u5gmiq.jpg

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Just some quick info: do i need to make clear that the above does not relate to "port begging" but it is, instead, a comment on the "from the ground up for the wii" curse?

Nowdays everything must be so detailed...

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
pakkit said:
How is that banned? I don't remember the last time I powered on most of my last-gen consoles.

it has historically been bannable to say "i want this game but fucken garbeg consoel!!!".

Rad-

So Nintendo "asked" Activision to cancel the XBLA version but now Activision is making this for Wii? Dick move much?

Rad- said:
So Nintendo "asked" Activision to cancel the XBLA version but now Activision is making this for Wii? Dick move much?
Guarantee you that if this is real, Microsoft will be releasing Goldeneye on XBLA alongside it. Its jsut Nintendo's version could be argued to be "better" because its a whole new game and yet the same old game with all the features of the XBLA game.

Peff

TheKingsCrown said:
Guarantee you that if this is real, Microsoft will be releasing Goldeneye on XBLA alongside it. Its jsut Nintendo's version could be argued to be "better" because its a whole new game and yet the same old game with all the features of the XBLA game.

Probably four to six times more expensive, too!

Top Bottom