• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Teknoman
Little Big NeoContra
(06-14-2010, 11:05 PM)
Teknoman's Avatar

Originally Posted by Alpha_eX

What a waste, the RARE version on XBL looked so much better and had online play on an established network. I won't bother with the Wii version, too much hassle and it looks like ass, i'll stick with the n64 original.

Hassle?
Shiggy
Member
(06-14-2010, 11:05 PM)
Shiggy's Avatar

Originally Posted by enzo_gt

Holy shit unexpected!

Really? It was well known since last September?!
EmCeeGramr
If ghosts needed to breathe, dead people would use up all the air and we'd suffocate
(06-14-2010, 11:05 PM)
EmCeeGramr's Avatar

Originally Posted by I AM JOHN!

That wasn't what I was saying. I, too, loved Goldeneye at the time, but the notion that only weirdos get together with a bunch of PCs and do LAN is just fucking ridiculous.

Not just weirdos no, but there were people going around for LAN parties was a smaller special crowd in relation to kids playing GoldenEye on their N64s.


Besides, I'm not sure what the point of this project is, since what gameplay was there looked like another COD clone (but with a close-quarters deathmatch mode added in), and not like the original.
Varjet
Member
(06-14-2010, 11:06 PM)
Varjet's Avatar

Originally Posted by Teknoman

Hassle?

Gotta put in all those friend codes, y'know.
Hero of Legend
Member
(06-14-2010, 11:06 PM)
Hero of Legend's Avatar

Originally Posted by Ephemeris

thanks!

Can you fix my link in your quote please? :)
bkfount
Member
(06-14-2010, 11:06 PM)
bkfount's Avatar

Originally Posted by hokahey

LMAO at the fanboy butt-hurt because Wii exclusive. This is a remake of a previous Nintendo exclusive. Makes a lot of sense to me.

That's fine and all, but Goldeneye also is one of those games that current ps3 and 360 owners may have played back in the day. The appeal for the failed Rare era port on XBLA was $10 nostalgia for people who were into it back on the n64.

Releasing it on the wii as a full priced remake seems kind of stupid really, but whatever.
kame-sennin
Member
(06-14-2010, 11:06 PM)
kame-sennin's Avatar

Originally Posted by I AM JOHN!

You're talking like Goldeneye did something absolutely incredible that has never been replicated by most other games. It was Quake multiplayer that was great because it was better than any other console game could handle at the time. Aside from that, there is absolutely nothing remarkable about Goldeneye's gameplay unlike Doom and Quake which still kind of hold up. In fact, there's been numerous games since then that have done the exact same thing as what Goldeneye did (Timesplitters, the Conduit, Red Steel) with mixed results. What makes you so convinced this will be any different aside from the fact that it's raping Goldeneye's corpse and will probably take its levels?

Well, one thing GE had that a lot of modern shooters don't is that it's objective based. One of the designers said he was told to construct the environments as if her were designing real world architecture and to let other members of the team figure out where to place enemies. That gives GE a lot of replay value because you can approach a level in multiple ways. It also adds a sense of realism and fun, IMO. Modern shooters, on the other hand, force you onto a really narrow path where specific "exciting" moments happen when you reach certain markers. I always get the feeling when I play these games that the developer is holding my controller telling me how I should enjoy the game. To me, GE is more fun because the developers took a big step back and let the players do whatever the fuck they wanted.
Metaphoreus
Member
(06-14-2010, 11:07 PM)
Metaphoreus's Avatar

Originally Posted by Amir0x

Let them have their imagined golden cow. Their memories are all they have. Don't shatter their illusions about how Goldeneye can hold up against any modern FPS.

Who says nostalgia can't be part of the enjoyment of a game? Just because it wouldn't hold up against a modern FPS doesn't mean that people can't have fun with it. In fact, it doesn't mean some people wouldn't have more fun with it than a modern FPS. There's no reason to discount that just because part of the reason they have more fun is that it reminds them of something they loved when they were younger. Fine, in that distant universe where Goldeneye just came out today, nobody liked it because of its dated design. But in this universe, Goldeneye came out over ten years ago; people liked it then; people (not everyone, obviously) will like it now. Part of why some will like it is because of nostalgia. So what?
DrGAKMAN
Banned
(06-14-2010, 11:08 PM)
Could you not open up Sean Connory & Roger Moore in multiplayer in the original Goldeneye?
meppi
Member
(06-14-2010, 11:09 PM)
meppi's Avatar
Just in case: clicky.
Mafro
Member
(06-14-2010, 11:09 PM)
Mafro's Avatar

Originally Posted by Teknoman

Hassle?

Moving anything more than your fingers and thumbs while gaming is hard :[
GK86
Homeland Security Fail
(06-14-2010, 11:10 PM)
GK86's Avatar
Awesome! Freaking loved it back on the N64 days. I must admit though, I never played through the single player. Too busy kicking ass in multiplayer.
Mikey Jr.
Member
(06-14-2010, 11:10 PM)
Mikey Jr.'s Avatar
Ok, I saw it.

Umm, that did not look like Goldeneye at all. The RARE version looked way better, not because of graphics, just the style. Mehh, I dont have a wii anyways, so what do I give a shit.
ShadyMilkman
Banned
(06-14-2010, 11:10 PM)
ShadyMilkman's Avatar
Anyone who didn't play on License to Kill mode was a fucking pussy, fyi.
richisawesome
Member
(06-14-2010, 11:10 PM)
richisawesome's Avatar

Originally Posted by DrGAKMAN

Could you not open up Sean Connory & Roger Moore in multiplayer in the original Goldeneye?

Yep, but only through a gameshark/action replay code. It was never meant to be seen.
Kamille
Member
(06-14-2010, 11:12 PM)
Kamille's Avatar
Looks like great nostalgic fun. Graphics could use some tightening up, but do want regardless.
Little Green Yoda
Member
(06-14-2010, 11:13 PM)
Little Green Yoda's Avatar
Looks nice but not sure I want to pay full price for a remake.
Ephemeris
Member
(06-14-2010, 11:14 PM)
Ephemeris's Avatar

Originally Posted by Hero of Legend

Can you fix my link in your quote please? :)

Done!
Ushojax
Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
(06-14-2010, 11:15 PM)
Ushojax's Avatar
I'm actually quite impressed. It's cool that they're using Craig's likeness (it sounded like him too) and it looked faithful to the original but fresh too, they just need to sort out the frame rate and some bland graphical areas. One to watch. I'll be interested to see the impressions.

I just hope that guy in the truck wasn't supposed to be 006. I hope they put Sean Bean in there.
ViperVisor
Member
(06-14-2010, 11:15 PM)
ViperVisor's Avatar
The original really wasn't so much KILL and EXPLOSIONS.

It was slower pace. It the first 2 levels there is 1 part each where there was a 5 sec fire fight.

The intensity was on higher difficulty and you needed to use R to cross-hair some guys in the head.

Reload was so quick it was never about needing a quantity of bullets in a short time. It was quality.
jufonuk
Member
(06-14-2010, 11:16 PM)
jufonuk's Avatar

Originally Posted by ShadyMilkman

Anyone who didn't play on License to Kill mode was a fucking pussy, fyi.


Ahh man, the Memories, slap fights and running for my life from odd job, please let sean bean still be trevelyan please
JonStark
Member
(06-14-2010, 11:16 PM)
JonStark's Avatar
Looks great ! Was really expecting dissapointment, but good surprise !
Ysiadmihi
Member
(06-14-2010, 11:17 PM)
Ysiadmihi's Avatar
Don't care about the graphics at all but I hope the framerate in the final game is better.
GDGF
Soothsayer
(06-14-2010, 11:17 PM)
GDGF's Avatar
I recognized a good 70% of the locations in that trailer. This is going to be an awesome experience.
noirebanana
Member
(06-14-2010, 11:18 PM)

Originally Posted by Ysiadmihi

Don't care about the graphics at all but I hope the framerate in the final game is better.

Indeed, I don't play games like these for the graphics, but for the gameplay.
HAL_Laboratory
(06-14-2010, 11:19 PM)
HAL_Laboratory's Avatar

Originally Posted by jim-jam bongs

:lol

Ever heard of internet cafes? LAN parties? University networks? Not that I disagree with your central point, but to suggest that people weren't playing multiplayer PC games using a LAN back then is insane.

I'm not suggesting that LAN parties weren't happening, but no kids I knew were going to them. We all had consoles. That's the point I'm trying to make.
Penguin
(06-14-2010, 11:20 PM)
Penguin's Avatar
So what's the best link for me to replace in the OP?

Originally Posted by Penguin

So what's the best link for me to replace in the OP?

http://************/player.php?v=14mb8k9&s=6

That's still working, currently. Maybe Activision isn't as fast on the trigger against Tinypic. :lol
snesfreak
Banned
(06-14-2010, 11:33 PM)
snesfreak's Avatar
Looks good, I had so much fun owning people on the N64 version.
And :lol :lol :lol at all the people bitching cause it's only on Wii, get over it.
VOOK
We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
(06-14-2010, 11:33 PM)
VOOK's Avatar
Hey it might not looks the best game ever, it's certainly going to be cheapish but hell it might be fun!

No wai!
JasoNsider
Member
(06-14-2010, 11:34 PM)
JasoNsider's Avatar
My heart is aflutter. Deep within I know this is probably going to stink, but I really want to believe. SO excited!

To those who say Goldeneye is now crap, I say take a hike. We STILL play that game at lunch hours and it is really great. Play on License to Kill with pistols and Facility. The game is a blast!
allegate
Member
(06-14-2010, 11:35 PM)
allegate's Avatar

Originally Posted by Socreges

Has Eurocom ever made a good game?

Hopefully this turns out well.

that Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy game was alright for its time.
lostinblue
Member
(06-14-2010, 11:35 PM)
lostinblue's Avatar

Originally Posted by Alpha_eX

What a waste, the RARE version on XBL looked so much better and had online play on an established network. I won't bother with the Wii version, too much hassle and it looks like ass, i'll stick with the n64 original.

BAN HIM.
DigitalDevil
Member
(06-14-2010, 11:36 PM)
DigitalDevil's Avatar
I'll buy this... twice.
schuelma
Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
(06-14-2010, 11:37 PM)
schuelma's Avatar
Hmm. It didn't look great, but I didn't think it looked that much worse than the CoD games have initially looked.
trinest
(06-14-2010, 11:37 PM)
trinest's Avatar
I think at the end of the day- dispite our hate and engust- we all want to play this now.
Freezie KO
Banned
(06-14-2010, 11:37 PM)
Hey, it looks like Goldeneye. I'm getting CoD, so I guess I'll go for either this or Conduit. I really wonder how the multiplayer holds up today. I just don't know.

Although I see they brought back OddJob. Ugh. Will everybody still try to pick him because he's short and the bullets go over his head?
The Hermit
Member
(06-14-2010, 11:37 PM)
The Hermit's Avatar
This video is the definition of "not sure if want..."
Jezan
Member
(06-14-2010, 11:38 PM)
Jezan's Avatar

Originally Posted by GK86

Awesome! Freaking loved it back on the N64 days. I must admit though, I never played through the single player. Too busy kicking ass in multiplayer.



It looks interesting and fun, with more explosions :P
Skiesofwonder
Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
(06-14-2010, 11:39 PM)
Skiesofwonder's Avatar
Sweetness. If this supports the new Wii headset that the Conduit 2 is using then count me the fuck in!!!!!
GDGF
Soothsayer
(06-14-2010, 11:41 PM)
GDGF's Avatar

Originally Posted by JasoNsider

To those who say Goldeneye is now crap, I say take a hike. We STILL play that game at lunch hours and it is really great. Play on License to Kill with pistols and Facility. The game is a blast!

Hell yeah. It's going to feel so good to revisit the Facility again. That's one of my favorite multiplayer levels ever.
EatChildren
Chico is Quiet
(06-14-2010, 11:44 PM)
EatChildren's Avatar
Looks like it has the half-arsed flat lit lighting and shadows trademark that plagues every Wii games that looks like fucking shit.
Solo
he got what he thought he wanted, but lost that which was most important
(06-14-2010, 11:45 PM)
Solo's Avatar
FUCK ME SIDEWAYS! Looks like I'm buying a Wii. Again :(

But :)
jim-jam bongs
Banned
(06-14-2010, 11:45 PM)
jim-jam bongs's Avatar

Originally Posted by HAL_Laboratory

I'm not suggesting that LAN parties weren't happening, but no kids I knew were going to them. We all had consoles. That's the point I'm trying to make.

And it's a fair point to be sure, I just found your initial phrasing a little bit unnecessarily absolute.

Originally Posted by snesfreak

Looks good, I had so much fun owning people on the N64 version.
And :lol :lol :lol at all the people bitching cause it's only on Wii, get over it.

Eh, it's GAF. If you can't handle the fact that enthusiasts think many Wii games look quite poor, don't make Wii games for enthusiasts.
balladofwindfishes
Member
(06-14-2010, 11:46 PM)
balladofwindfishes's Avatar

Originally Posted by GDGF

Hell yeah. It's going to feel so good to revisit the Facility again. That's one of my favorite multiplayer levels ever.

I hope hope hope hope they use old music remixes instead of brand new music.

When I enter facility I better hear
Dun dun, dun duun dun du dun dun
Loxley
Member
(06-14-2010, 11:46 PM)
Loxley's Avatar
The only way for me to test this game to see if I likw it would be in split-screen. I'm a huge fan of online multiplayer, but here? Fuck that shit. I need to call my best friends up :D
Ducarmel
Member
(06-14-2010, 11:47 PM)
Ducarmel's Avatar
This looks very good, but I want to punch all those people in the face that agree GE64 is the best FPS ever.
brochiller
Member
(06-14-2010, 11:47 PM)
brochiller's Avatar

Originally Posted by Skiesofwonder

Sweetness. If this supports the new Wii headset that the Conduit 2 is using then count me the fuck in!!!!!

New Wii headset? What did I miss?
ShadyMilkman
Banned
(06-14-2010, 11:48 PM)
ShadyMilkman's Avatar
Nominate the worst gun in GoldenEye:

The fucking Klobb.
Sadist
Member
(06-14-2010, 11:48 PM)
Sadist's Avatar
Goldeneye TU DUUUUUUH!!!

Anyway, graphics looked pretty meh but it hit all the right nostalgia buttons. So conflicted :(

Thread Tools