• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Journey (PSN) - thatgamecompany's new game!!! (Game Releases in Spring 2012)

careksims

lunlunqq said:
now let me ask the real question... why the FUCK didn't sony mention this in the press conference?????? this is just beyond me....sony should fire all of their conference planners.

EXACTLY! Looks so great and no mention of it? Ugh. So getting this.

Ashkeloth

Looks amazing. Both graphically and artistically. I must say I really love the design of the character (assuming that;s what it is)

soldat7

GhaleonQ said:
Good for those who like it. They have yet to win me over with a concept and I wish they'd put themes into their games instead of just gameplay. Good luck, and I'm glad people are drawn from blockbusters to stuff like this

Who needs poetry when we have novels?!?

Oh, wait a second...

GhaleonQ

StuBurns said:
This is a joke is it not?

I'm not sure that Flower has a theme anymore than Klonoa does. It has a story, but not a coherent theme. (Poetry/Novels guy assumes that poetry can't have themes) I'm not saying that's a bad thing, just that that's what would get me on board, personally.

Beowulf28

30vlzeb.jpg

Kittonwy

Banned
alr1ghtstart said:
Journey™
FACT SHEET

Platform: PlayStation®3 system
Publisher: Sony Computer Entertainment America LLC
Developer: thatgamecompany
Rating: “RP” for “Rating Pending”
Release: 2011

OVERVIEW

The pioneers that brought you the award-winning PlayStation®Network titles flOw & Flower® are back with another title that challenges traditional gaming conventions. With Journey, thatgamecompany (TGC) continues its tradition of delivering simple gameplay and accessible controls in a rich interactive environment that invites players to explore and experience emotional chords that are still uncommon in video games.

An exotic adventure with a more serious tone, Journey presents TGC’s unique vision of an online adventure experience. Awakening in an unknown world, the player walks, glides, and flies through a vast and awe-inspiring landscape, while discovering the history of an ancient, mysterious civilization along the way.

Journey’s innovative approach to online play encourages players to explore this environment with strangers who cross their path from time to time. By traveling together, they can re-shape the experience – creating authentic moments they will remember and discuss with others.

KEY FEATURES
INTUITIVE CONTROLS AND EXPERIENCE –Players with differing skill levels and/or moods can experience the game at their own pace.
LUSH AND EXPANSIVE ENVIRONMENTS – Grand landscapes filled with dynamic sand and cloth. Fully simulated sand dunes ripple and slide as players move across them.
FRESH ONLINE ADVENTURE – Players explore a mysterious world, discovering its hidden history. People are free to travel alone, or adventure with strangers that they meet along the way.

b5nyup.jpg

JUZ A SMALL TOWN GIRL
LIVIN IN A RONELY WORLD
SHE TOOK A MIDNIGHT TRAIN GOIN ANYWHERE

DON'T STOP
BELIEVIN'
HOLD ON TO DAT FEELINNNNNNN
STREET LIGHTZ PEOPLEEEEEEOOOOOOOOOOHHHHH
Indifferent2.gif

Amir0x said:
Ok I did not like FLOW or FLOWER but

this looks AND sounds fucking BADASS.

how the fuck

ah well. this does look awesome and i'm glad it seems to have made you a believer. TGC is one of the best devs this gen. :D

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
wantwantwantwantwant

soldat7

GhaleonQ said:
I'm not sure that Flower has a theme anymore than Klonoa does. It has a story, but not a coherent theme. (Poetry/Novels guy assumes that poetry can't have themes) I'm not saying that's a bad thing, just that that's what would get me on board, personally.

Wait, I'm confused. You sound serious now. As an avid reader of poetry, I certainly do not assert that poems cannot have themes. I am arguing that games can come in multiple forms, just like literature. One type of game is not necessarily better or worse than another. And, just like literature, games do not have to have a strictly defined theme. In fact, many of the best games and literary works have multiple themes and are open to personal interpretation.

TheChillyAcademic said:
Redemption.

Red Dead Riding Hood Redemption

Amir0x

Banned
Pai Pai Master said:
how the fuck

ah well. this does look awesome and i'm glad it seems to have made you a believer. TGC is one of the best devs this gen. :D

FLOWER looked pretty enough, but it was one of the most awfully controlling unfun boring games ever to play. It's the only game in my entire life I've literally fallen asleep during.

JOURNEY looks so captivating by comparison.

StuBurns

Banned
GhaleonQ said:
Well there is the 'plot' of Flower, a person living in a horrible city, day dreaming of a cleaner world, and there are the themes of natural energy resources, many small contributions equating to significant change, etc. There isn't a story to Flow, but I think thematically it has some interesting things going on, cannibalism to advance personal development etc. It's all debatable, but I think they have plenty of food for thought.

soldat7

Amir0x said:
FLOWER looked pretty enough, but it was one of the most awfully controlling unfun boring games ever to play. It's the only game in my entire life I've literally fallen asleep during.

Different strokes, I guess. I still think it's the best use of motion controls this gen.

GeekyDad

alr1ghtstart said:
With Journey, thatgamecompany (TGC) continues its tradition of delivering simple gameplay and accessible controls in a rich interactive environment that invites players to explore and experience emotional chords that are still uncommon in video games.

That seems to be a bullet point the first parties really seem to wanna drive home more and more these days.

Anyway, I'm really curious to hear more about the online thing. Adventuring with others? Could be fun, depending on what all that entails. Very interesting look, though.

Kittonwy said:
JUZ A SMALL TOWN GIRL
LIVIN IN A RONELY WORLD
SHE TOOK A MIDNIGHT TRAIN GOIN ANYWHERE

DON'T STOP
BELIEVIN'
HOLD ON TO DAT FEELINNNNNNN
STREET LIGHTZ PEOPLEEEEEEOOOOOOOOOOHHHHH
Indifferent2.gif

1097290-i_see_what_you_did_there_super.jpg

Looks like no one else got it Kittonwy :p

soldat7

GeekyDad said:
That seems to be a bullet point the first parties really seem to wanna drive home more and more these days.

That's the schtick of thatgamecompany specifically; their games are always designed around this principle.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
-DarKaoZ- said:
But for what it look like JOURNEY will be more about "Random generated map" deal, like the sand will change every time you play the game, but I doubt the user aka you will have a huge impact on it, like when you walk etc. In VF5R the sand moves everytime you move, so that is kinda cool.
I don't think it will be just a random map like that, almost for sure. They wouldn't put that as a key feature, I'd think. This is also coming from the people who went to great lengths to render an incredible looking grass simulation, so why would they stop short of making another technological effort of that sort.

GhaleonQ said:
It has a story, but not a coherent theme. (Poetry/Novels guy assumes that poetry can't have themes) I'm not saying that's a bad thing, just that that's what would get me on board, personally.
There's definitely themes to Flower, at least two that I can think of. The more obvious one of possibility of heathy coexistence of nature and human developments, and also a less obvious one that was tied pretty organically to previous - that of a an older generation passing a torch to a younger one, to make this coexistence fully happen, to make a world an even better place. I really liked that all of this was communicated nicely the way it was, because it would make no sense that flowers or wind tell a story through some spoken/written narrative.

Atrus

Gold Member
TGC earned the right for day one purchase of their next game with Flower, just like Ueda did with Ico and SOTC. Keep 'em coming.

This looks so attractive. I just recently played Flower and thought it one of the most uplifting gaming experiences I've ever had, so I was already on board for whatever thatgamecompany comes out with. Online features sound neat; they remind me a little bit of Demon's Souls in their unconventional nature.

Wow. I couldn't imagine a concept that's more interesting to me, and more suited to thatgamecompany's talents. This is way up there on my most wanted list.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
TTP said:
Looks amazing (but they have to remove the aliasing)
I believe these screens have 2xMSAA btw, if my eyes don't deceive me (I'm not going to start zooming in screens now) There's little doubt they will switch over to MLAA though, it'll require zero development time for them.

Top Bottom