• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Montpellier in Game: Rayman: Origins and BG&E 2 info

Ranger X

I wish we had a release date for Rayman and also to know on wich platform it will be released exactly.
I suppose it's not retail so I hope it will be on XBLA.

Twig

Banned
mrwilt said:
Yep. I'm sure he was giving some great information on the tools, I just wish I could understand what he was saying. It was cool to see him move the camera around in the scene, though.

ubi-art blog

This tech sounds very exciting. Can't wait to get more information about it.
hey wow thanks for pointing that out! :D

subscriban' to blog rss om nom

mrwilt

Ranger X said:
I wish we had a release date for Rayman and also to know on wich platform it will be released exactly.
I suppose it's not retail so I hope it will be on XBLA.

According to their blog, the new Rayman will be episodic with the first one releasing this year on XBLA and PSN.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I don't think I need tools for building stages or whatever in Beyond Good & Evil 2. Just focus on the straight up single player adventure.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
I don't understand, why would you want to develop on purpose your game with as little amount of people as possible?

Twig

Banned
Dan said:
I don't think I need tools for building stages or whatever in Beyond Good & Evil 2. Just focus on the straight up single player adventure.
The tools are the Rayman tools, not BG&E2.

Twig

Banned
Plywood said:
I don't understand, why would you want to develop on purpose your game with as little amount of people as possible?
He explained: to foster creativity, to work with a close-knit group of people, etc.

This is not an uncommon desire for developers. Not everyone likes overseeing an enormous team of people who they don't really know...

(I'm speaking without any personal experience, except that I vastly preferred working at a small company to a big company during my college co-ops.)

Dan

Twig said:
The tools are the Rayman tools, not BG&E2.
*ahem*
G Rom said:
Ancel explains that they're creating the tools to do Rayman Origins and that they'll release them for free to let everyone experiment with it.
He then say that they basically want to do the same and create their tools for BG&E2. Due to the game being 3D, he says that it takes much more time. They have prototype running where they create entire cities with this tool.
Unless these are just their own dev tools, but I don't think I need them wasting time making them geared for consumers.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Twig said:
He explained: to foster creativity, to work with a close-knit group of people, etc.

This is not an uncommon desire for developers. Not everyone likes overseeing an enormous team of people who they don't really know...
Okay, but wouldn't that make it take a really long time? Like we shouldn't expect this anytime soon? I didn't think Ubisoft was one of those companies, to actually let devs take their time.

Twig

Banned
Dan said:
*ahem*

Unless these are just their own dev tools, but I don't think I need them wasting time making them geared for consumers.
Oh, my mistake!

Well, I need them wasting time. So there. Also, I'd imagine they're doing it more for their own sake than for people like us - it makes development easier. And then after the game's finished, they'll release the tools. But I guess we'll see how it all happens.
Plywood said:
Okay, but wouldn't that make it take a really long time? Like we shouldn't expect this anytime soon? I didn't think Ubisoft was one of those companies, to actually let devs take their time.
Yes, it will take longer, most likely.

I didn't think Ubisoft was, either, but I think after the Raving Rabbids disaster, Ancel probably got upset, and now they're making it up to him. Or something. (Wild speculation from an outsider.)

Lijik

Twig said:
I didn't think Ubisoft was, either, but I think after the Raving Rabbids disaster, Ancel probably got upset, and now they're making it up to him. Or something. (Wild speculation from an outsider.)
I've heard this story a few times as well, I'm not sure if its true but it does make sense.

Twig

Banned
Lijik said:
I've heard this story a few times as well, I'm not sure if its true but it does make sense.
I remember reading interviews from him during development, and noticed that at some point he just kind of dropped off the radar. I mean, we'll never know if it's actually true, but... I definitely remember Raving Rabbids being a real full game to begin with, and then it melted into a mess of a minigame collection. It was quite sad. ):

Feep

Banned
Zapages said:
Mr. Ancel apologizes about BG&E...
"He want to developp BGE2 with as little people as possible. It will have an interactive Storyline with different outcomings and he want to make it perfect - so it will take a while."
God fucking DAMMIT

I am extremely anti "user's choice" when it comes to non-gameplay elements. Players are not storytellers. There is no way to develop several completely different narrative threads and have them all be as satisfying as the author's actual intent.

Ranger X

Feep said:
God fucking DAMMIT

I am extremely anti "user's choice" when it comes to non-gameplay elements. Players are not storytellers. There is no way to develop several completely different narrative threads and have them all be as satisfying as the author's actual intent.

Will probably not be what you're describing anyways as no games might do it before a freaking long time. It will end up some branches like Heavy Rain at best.

Fuzz Rez

Banned
The Dutch Slayer said:
Alan Wake was made with less than 30 people in 6 years so you do the math :lol :lol

I also believe Team ICO is less then 30 people of course there is some out sourcing but still. Oh, and Alan Wake isn't the best example because they made major overhaul for the game (from open world to linear.)

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Fuzz Rez said:
I also believe Team ICO is less then 30 people of course there is some out sourcing but still. Oh, and Alan Wake isn't the best example because they made major overhaul for the game (from open world to linear.)
They said multiple times that going from open world to linear only made them lose 6 months.

Twig

Banned
AniHawk said:
i'd trust michel ancel way more than david cage on something like this anyway
While I share you sentiment, as far as I know, Ancel has never even experimented with multiple story paths in games. Am I mistaken?

Ramenman

Feep said:
God fucking DAMMIT

Exactly. I want to see what happens next in the story from the first game.

Not your "OMG CHOICES STORYLINE EMOTIONS MATUUUUURE ART !!!1!18!1" we see in almost every "wow different" game out there. It doesn't even work, it's not even original anymore.

Ramenman said:
Exactly. I want to see what happens next in the story from the first game.

Not your "OMG CHOICES STORYLINE EMOTIONS MATUUUUURE ART !!!1!18!1" we see in almost every "wow different" game out there. It doesn't even work, it's not even original anymore.
BG&E was meant to be trilogy, chances are it'll be like every other game with multiple endings where only one is the true ending and they follow on from that for the next game. Either that or Ancel realised that Ubisoft probably won't let him make BG&E 3 if this one flops too, so he isn't going to commit to an ending that might not be continued.

G Rom

Dan said:

I should have made it more clear. They are building their own tools for BG&E2 but they aren't going to release them (he didn't say so at least).
My LBP comparison was only meant for the way he thinks about creativity and letting people express themselves with the Rayman tools.

As for those asking for a timeline, he said that it's been only 6 months since they have started working on Rayman.

Dan

G Rom said:
I should have made it more clear. They are building their own tools for BG&E2 but they aren't going to release them (he didn't say so at least).
My LBP comparison was only meant for the way he thinks about creativity and letting people express themselves with the Rayman tools.
Gotcha, thanks.

Ramenman

Okay, I watched the video. I'll refrain from assaulting the OP, because I don't know how well you understand french, if you did the translation yourself.

But seriously.

"He want to developp BGE2 with as little people as possible. It will have an interative Storyline with different outcomings and he want to make it perfect - so it will take a while."

He doesn't say different outcomings. Like, never. He doesn't say it. He doesn't mention outcomes or different storylines. It's a chunk of one of its sentences taken out of its context.

The closest thing he says to what is quoted in the OP :

"We create interactive scenarios with tools that don't exist, we have to create those tools ourselves, it takes time".

So yeah, interactive scenarios, I know. But in the context he's talking in, it doesn't mean "interactive storyline" or anything fable/mass effect/heavy rain.

He compares his tools (Ubi-art, and the ones they're trying to make for BG&E2) to film-editing tools, talks about his experience with Weta when working on King Kong, etc. When you create an animated movie, you create a "scenario". When he then says "interactive scenarios" about games, he's just talking about games in general, any game that has scripted events happening in-game (yep, there's a lot of them).

In that regard, every scripted sequence in the first BG&E (say, the rooftop chase for example) could also be considered to be an "interactive scenario".

And no matter what you listen to it, he factually does NOT mention "multiple endings" or "different outcomings".

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
No, but he factually declares it still alive! And baby, that's all that fucking matters!

This just made my morning. :D

Ramenman

I'm a bit surprised there isn't a thread about "Ubi-art framework to be released free and open-source" yet, it's pretty huge news to me.

And knowing that Ancel's team is working on another 3D Rayman also is imo, even if it's obviously in the same "please wait, it's coming out NEVER lol" fashion as BG&E 2.

I'll probably make a thread if no one does.

New 3D Rayman from Ancel, awesome. (Coming in a decade or so hehe).

Rayman, look what the pirates have done to our world <3 <3 <3 <3

I'll have to replay this now, such a great game.

@Ramenman, thanks for the clarification. Great to hear that.

Ramenman said:
Okay, I watched the video. I'll refrain from assaulting the OP, because I don't know how well you understand french, if you did the translation yourself.

But seriously.

He doesn't say different outcomings. Like, never. He doesn't say it. He doesn't mention outcomes or different storylines. It's a chunk of one of its sentences taken out of its context.

The closest thing he says to what is quoted in the OP :

"We create interactive scenarios with tools that don't exist, we have to create those tools ourselves, it takes time".

So yeah, interactive scenarios, I know. But in the context he's talking in, it doesn't mean "interactive storyline" or anything fable/mass effect/heavy rain.

He compares his tools (Ubi-art, and the ones they're trying to make for BG&E2) to film-editing tools, talks about his experience with Weta when working on King Kong, etc. When you create an animated movie, you create a "scenario". When he then says "interactive scenarios" about games, he's just talking about games in general, any game that has scripted events happening in-game (yep, there's a lot of them).

In that regard, every scripted sequence in the first BG&E (say, the rooftop chase for example) could also be considered to be an "interactive scenario".

And no matter what you listen to it, he factually does NOT mention "multiple endings" or "different outcomings".
Thank God. :D

Empty

Ramenman said:

awesome, i much prefer a linear story for this kind of game. thanks for clearing that up.

Gagaman

Not sure if this is the right thread for it but GameInformer have put out an article about their tour of Ubisoft Montpellier and they show a lot of Rayman origins concept art/sprites:

8030.teamfourtress.jpg

Co-Op 4 player confirmed? One concept art also shows a music stage like that in the first Rayman.

Empty

Shiggy said:
Imagine what will happen at E3:
"A game brought to you by the team that once worked on BG&E2! Here's Tintin."

it's a tragedy. though i'm actually curious about the tintin game, i like the ip, like ubi montpellier and liked king kong a lot, so i hope it's at least had effort put on it.

Top Bottom