• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: Sony developing Android 3.0 powered PSP-Go like phone. [Update: Post 472]

Status
Not open for further replies.
paskowitz said:
Google and Sony should merge. :D

I think it would be less of a merge, and more of Google just buying Sony if they so wished. I don't think they're remotely interested however.

Hang on, just an off-topic theoretical, could Google actually afford to buy Sony?

EDIT - ignore me, am getting my company sizes mixed up.

jagowar

This sounds like an integration nightmare.... android really needs the gaming help but this looks like the psp stuff will just be on this phone (and not apps on android). If that is the case I don't see how they will integrate the psp part and android well. Will both even be able to run at the same time when most games would theoretically be designed around using the max phone resources? Tons of questions to answer.

tzare

how a 1Ghz CPU cannot outperform actual PSP cpu?

"The D-pad is here, but instead of the small joystick, the device will have what was described as a "long touch pad" for analog controls, along with standard PSP buttons and shoulder buttons."
not sure if can be considered the same. But who knows

Cruzader

Banned
Agent X said:
Where's the single analog, even? I know this is an Engadget mock-up photo, so maybe they just forgot about it.

Also, what's with estimating that the graphics level is between PlayStation 1 and PSP? There's a fairly large difference in performance between the two. They'd need to meet or exceed PSP level of performance, and have compatibility with downloadable PS1 and PSP games, or else there isn't much of a point.

I think the mock up has a touch pad with 2 dots on opposite sides which represent 2 sticks.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Mama Robotnik said:
I think it would be less of a merge, and more of Google just buying Sony if they so wished. I don't think they're remotely interested however.

Hang on, just an off-topic theoretical, could Google actually afford to buy Sony?
Sony is a significantly larger company than Google.

Redd

Eh I'd probably won't buy this. My battery life on my phone is bad as it is surfing the net and talking. Me trying to throw serious gaming on top of that doesn't seem smart.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Mama Robotnik said:
No!

Sony is huge, spread across too many pricy divisions.

maxwellsmart_missed_it_by_that_much.jpg

Man said:
Really? The Android market is huge (outnumbering iPhone for starts). This is a brilliant move on their end.
Making another straight forward handheld, that would be short sighted.

Not sure where you're getting your facts from, but Android has yet to surpass the iOS platform in terms of raw numbers. Maybe for a quarter, but not overall. It's only a matter of time, but not all of those Android phones will be able to run the same software. The number will grow because of the cheap phones that are given away on every carrier.

Either way, the iPhone gaming market is huge and gaming on the Android platform is not even close to the quality of the iOS platform. I don't really see this phone changing that.

Man

Google TV in Sony TV's.
YouTube uploading, XMB Google Search on PS3.
PlayStation Android?

Chromium OS Vaio's next?

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Man said:
"The D-pad is here, but instead of the small joystick, the device will have what was described as a "long touch pad" for analog controls, along with standard PSP buttons and shoulder buttons."

like a trackpad? because trackpads are awesome for gaming

[Nintex]

It always made sense to me that Sony moved towards the Android/App market since companies like Square Enix, Namco, Konami etc. have shown interest and plans for those markets as well. Not to mention that they won't be competing with Nintendo directly. If Playstation games are 'exclusive' to Sony's device however it won't catch on at all because Sony simply can't compete with Apple.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
D4Danger said:
like a trackpad? because trackpads are awesome for gaming
Hmm, I could see a small one being better than an analogue nub if it was tuned right.

spwolf

kitchenmotors said:
Why would someone spend money on this phone and (PSP priced) games unless there's some cross-compatibility? Can I transfer the same games from my PSP to this phone? Will Sony actually support this better than they did with the PSP go?

Why people spent money on original iphone? Why are they spending money on Android Phones as it is now?

PSP Phone has been only option for Sony for a while now. It lets carriers subsidize the cost of hardware, instead of Sony.

X10 is sold for $139 on contract, and it is excellent phone with big screen, excellent 8 MP camera and everything else you can imagine for low price. Add some gaming hardware and it still wont be over $199 on contract. And Sony will be making money on hardware, let alone games.

Not to mention that SE already has contracts with worldwide carriers and it will be considerably easier for them to do this than for someone like Nintendo.

I just hope this is full effort from Sony and not just SE.

Corto

ElFly said:
What's up with the current GAF obsession with an Android based console?

I would love if someone could pull a Columbi egg of having a portable/mobile platform that could run android apps with an open sdk along side console-like closed game software.

Man said:
Google TV in Sony TV's.
YouTube uploading, XMB Google Search on PS3.
PlayStation Android?

Chromium OS Vaio's next?

The only thing I want out of this Google partnership is Chrome browser on ps3 and future consoles.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
brain_stew said:
That'd be a very appealing product but please don't go with a Qualcom SOC. Their GPUs are shit.
They are better of going Tegra? I know that even OMAP3530 has better GPU than SnapDragon, right? :/

V_Ben

Banned
"Modern Warfare" as a potential game for this thing will help it shift units, no question. People will pay money for a version of that game they can play everywhere :lol

Agent X

Grimmy said:
I'm sorry, but all these responses are utterly baffling. It's an Android. You know, ie. touch screen?

Yes, the touch screen is nice, as well as this "touch pad" thingamajig. However, I believe they would need to have compatibility with the currently available PS1 & PSP downloadable games in order to have a real chance at success. Without an actual analog nub, this would be difficult. Sure, they might be able to emulate an analog nub, but it really isn't the same thing.

I also fear that this could be an attempt to create an alternate portable gaming platform from scratch, instead of tapping into the existing PS1/PSP library which is what they should be doing.

spwolf

Jtwo said:
Hmm, I could see a small one being better than an analogue nub if it was tuned right.

i am not sure how well it would work, but i think idea is that you would basically have wide trackpad that would enabled inputs from both hands, effectively being dual nubs.

Playstation Android makes a lot of sense for both companies. It will be huge push for Google into consumer space for their ad services and at the same time it will give Sony active platform partner.

Crisis

Banned
Achtius said:
That phone is not new. Just new to AT&T.

And the x10 is getting upgrade sometime in Q4.

Yeah I know. It's been out forever. And they still released it here with 1.6.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Mr_Brit said:
Completely wrong. SE and SCE are completely separate. This is just another bland android phone by a run of the mill phone company, the real PSP 2 from SCE, the succesor to the PSP, is still coming.
Doubt it.

kenta

Has no PEINS
Can't wait for multiplayer Modern Warfare network traffic to receive prioritization

"additional online services" indeed

spwolf said:
Why people spent money on original iphone? Why are they spending money on Android Phones as it is now?

PSP Phone has been only option for Sony for a while now. It lets carriers subsidize the cost of hardware, instead of Sony.

X10 is sold for $139 on contract, and it is excellent phone with big screen, excellent 8 MP camera and everything else you can imagine for low price. Add some gaming hardware and it still wont be over $199 on contract. And Sony will be making money on hardware, let alone games.

Not to mention that SE already has contracts with worldwide carriers and it will be considerably easier for them to do this than for someone like Nintendo.

I just hope this is full effort from Sony and not just SE.

There's a world of difference between spending money on an iOS platform game or an Android platform game as opposed to this new platform. It's a logistical nightmare because the games will be higher priced than normal mobile games, if Sony's previous PSP go and mini downloadable content are any indication. Sony will probably not let you transfer the games to a normal PSP device, so if you get rid of your PSP-branded phone, you're out of luck on using any of those games.

You're also locked to using these games on this specific PSP-phone branded device and no other Android device.

DMeisterJ

Banned
This is definitely a better idea than going head-to-head with the 3DS... Since Nintendo seems content in not doing anything to the growing 'cell phone gaming' market, it would be wise for Sony to step in, especially with their knowledge and stable of games, companies, and IPs, and show Apple how portable gaming is really done. Apple has done very well so far, but this machine coupled up with the PlayStation Network could be a very huge deal for both Sony and Google.

Mr_Brit said:
If this happens instead of a proper PSP2 then I'm never buying a portable again.
Why would you deny yourself excellent gaming experiences?

Mama Robotnik said:
So are they abadoning all hope of competing with the 3DS now, and are going for the App/Mobile phone game market instead?

As much as the 3DS excites me, I was really hoping for some proper competition this time round. Its usually good for the industry.
The GBA delivered just fine without proper competition.

Mr_Brit said:
There is now way that Nintendo's dumb enough to release this as a replacement for the proper Gameboy 2, this is just an stop-gap with some stupid games on it, don't be worried Gameboy 2 is coming next year.

Greetings from 2010. How is 2004 working out for you?

Corto

kitchenmotors said:
You're also locked to using these games on this specific PSP-phone branded device and no other Android device.

From the Engadget rumor:

Games may be made available for other non-PS branded powerful Android phones (not betting on it)

This totally depends on what is the business model that Sony wants to use with this platform (software sales driven or hardware sales driven).

zoku88

Mr_Brit said:
Completely wrong. SE and SCE are completely separate. This is just another bland android phone by a run of the mill phone company, the real PSP 2 from SCE, the succesor to the PSP, is still coming.
Pretty sure SE is a joint venture of Sony and Ercisson... Which means, they aren't completely separate... as Sony Corp owns SCE.

DMeisterJ said:
This is definitely a better idea than going head-to-head with the 3DS... Since Nintendo seems content in not doing anything to the growing 'cell phone gaming' market, it would be wise for Sony to step in, especially with their knowledge and stable of games, companies, and IPs, and show Apple how portable gaming is really done. Apple has done very well so far, but this machine coupled up with the PlayStation Network could be a very huge deal for both Sony and Google.

Why would it be a huge deal? You wouldn't be able to play these "playstation android" games on any android smartphone. And if I already have an iPhone (which I will), I'm not going to break my contract and buy this thing.

A dedicated gaming psp2 would be a much better idea. And much simpler to carry out. It's not like nobody would give a crap about psp2 either. There is plenty of room in Nintendo's market. Not the case with Apple's domain.

Man

Corto said:
This totally depends on what is the business model that Sony wants to use with this platform (software sales driven or hardware sales driven).

Probably some basic hardware requirements for other phone makers: SnapDragon 1Ghz CPU or higher. Dpad + Touchpad + Buttons. Screen resolution etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom