• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anybody knows anything else about Mass Efect PS3 being announced this week?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
badcrumble said:
My guess with regard to ME1 is that it'd be something like the Ninja Gaiden Sigma II stuff. Enough alteration of content that it's not a "port." Whether including both of the games on one BD would be enough to consider it a 'different game,' or whether it'd require more stuff like back-porting the ME2 combat system or upgrading it to a much more current version of UE3.0 is anybody's guess. :)

Again, if they make changes and/or add content, I will be grumpy with BioWare if its a PS3 exclusive release.

Rubezh

EatChildren said:
Again, if they make changes and/or add content, I will be grumpy with BioWare if its a PS3 exclusive release.

If it does happen, I'm guessing they'll put some of the existing DLC on the disk.

MikeE21286 said:
who published ME1? I thought it was Microsoft?

It was indeed, tho the second one is up for grabs and im sure it has been said before that bioware are actually able to release the first game if they want (something to do with the tie up with EA), would love to see it happen im just not going to hold my breath.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
charlequin said:
I'm making fun of ULTROS!, not you. Kill on, sir Bandicoot!

:<

Anyway, maybe they'll put both games in one if it came out true.

Peff

I think it'll probably be vanilla Mass Effect 2 with maybe the Cerberus Network stuff already on the Blu-Ray, what with the Liara DLC not even having a date and all.

Majine

Banned
kyo_daikun said:
It was indeed, tho the second one is up for grabs and im sure it has been said before that bioware are actually able to release the first game if they want (something to do with the tie up with EA), would love to see it happen im just not going to hold my breath.

ME2 is obviously gonna win some GOTY, so release the PS3 collection by the same time GOTY Edition comes ;)

Busty

Banned
EatChildren said:

Not sure if that's an incentive for them to do it or not.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Doesn't make sense to me.

It's late and it will likely run worse than the 360 version. Well, I suppose there is a chance a port of ME1 could run better...

De-mon

Rubezh said:
If it does happen, I'm guessing they'll put some of the existing DLC on the disk.

You are right. All DLC will be in Blu Ray. And the game is named Mass Effect 2 'Sigma'. Not Sigma, other word ;-)

EatChildren said:
I think it'd be hard for BioWare to know just how many copies of such a collection/GOTY edition they'd be able to make for the X360 audience (since a lot of people already own Mass Effect 1+2), whereas it's simple for the PS3 audience where they can be guaranteed a large number of customers who don't own the original games. You'd pay for it, sure, and you'd be right to feel a bit ticked off at not getting that content, but it's possible that the incentive just isn't there for BioWare with the 360 the same way that it is with the PS3 audience.

charlequin said:
  • The game was widely available on 360 and PC for $20 or less basically everywhere by the time the PS3 version came out, which meant anyone who had any ability to play it on a different platform would've already done so.
  • The game had extremely minimal extra content on PS3, so it wasn't worth a double dip, and was priced at the full $60 even though it was much cheaper elsewhere.
  • As a result basically nobody bought the game on PS3 so it was kind of too late for the publisher (who didn't profit much on the port) and for the gamers (most of whom presumably played the game on PC or something rather than wait around for a port.)

Well, I played Bioshock on 360 and didn't like it at all - so maybe that's not the best example. But let's pretend I did enjoy it. Then, for the guy who hasn't had the chance to buy/play the game for cheaper elsewhere, it's still worth it. it's annoying that it's more expensive than it is in other places, but people enjoyed it at 60 bucks on the 360, I don't see why it cannot be enjoyed for the same price on the ps3.

For the publisher side, I agree - I didn't mean the sentence in a business sense. I'd argue that if I could be bothered to look for it, I could find you post that hint that a game is somehow 'lesser' because it's a year old, compared to the omg the new hot game which si coming.

edit: I really can't stop myself from telling you this: I usually like what you post a lot, but god damn if you don't have the most annoying avatar on gaf :)

Guy Legend

A compilation of the 2 games would be pretty amazing. There isn't much if anything holding back this franchise from coming to PS3.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
badcrumble said:
I think it'd be hard for BioWare to know just how many copies of such a collection/GOTY edition they'd be able to make for the X360 audience (since a lot of people already own Mass Effect 1+2), whereas it's simple for the PS3 audience where they can be guaranteed a large number of customers who don't own the original games. You'd pay for it, sure, and you'd be right to feel a bit ticked off at not getting that content, but it's possible that the incentive just isn't there for BioWare with the 360 the same way that it is with the PS3 audience.

Yes, but, I want moar.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Guy Legend said:
There isn't much if anything holding back this franchise from coming to PS3.

*Microsoft Game Studios logo.jpg*

OH HAI THERE.

offshore

If it happens, I doubt the DLC will actually be on the disc, rather the DLC would come with a code inside to redeem on PSN, then for resale the person has to buy them from PSN. This is EA after all.

I have a hunch that the trilogy will wrap up on PC and Xbox 360 before PS3 gets a special edition with all three games updated and on one disc, but who knows.

daoster

As somebody who only owns a PS3 (but has played the ME series on PC)....I'd rather have them show shit on ME3 at Gamescom than announce a PS3 version of Mass Effect...

Though in a perfect world, both would happen!!

Its great value if both games are on one Blu-ray for £40 RRP, especially if there is DLC on the disc. I think it would do better than a lot of people think it would.

The interactions in ME2 between Shepard and characters from ME1 has always felt like it was built around a future PS3 release. There would be no reason to cast aside characters like Wrex, Liara, Kaiden, and Ashley except for the fact that a certain segment of gamers would have no chance to make the decisions that affect them in ME2. You might argue that this was done because some people might only buy ME2 and not ME1, but the truth is having those decisions matter more would have helped EA to sell even more copies of ME1 to people who bought ME2 first.

It's a shame it turned out this way. It seems like Bioware and grand ambitions as to how your choices would impact the later game but that was all screwed up due to gaming's "competing machines" stupidity.

Polk

TheSeks said:
*Microsoft Game Studios logo.jpg*

OH HAI THERE.
TBH, PC version doesn't mentions MGS at all.

I could see ME2:GOTY PS3 version alongside PC and 360 versions. Full price of course with all dlc.

Arnie

This is great news for people who only own a PS3, Mass Effect 2 remains as the best game I have played all year, although a lot of that was because it was a true continuation of the events of Mass Effect 1. So because of this it has to include ME1, although I don't know what EA would have to do to allow MS to agree to that. So yea this could be a great conference on Tuesday if we also get a trailer for BF3 and the demo announcement for Fifa. The PS3 code found in ME2 has to be for something, it doesn't appear out of nowhere.

I <3 Memes said:
The interactions in ME2 between Shepard and characters from ME1 has always felt like it was built around a future PS3 release. There would be no reason to cast aside characters like Wrex, Liara, Kaiden, and Ashley except for the fact that a certain segment of gamers would have no chance to make the decisions that affect them in ME2. You might argue that this was done because some people might only buy ME2 and not ME1, but the truth is having those decisions matter more would have helped EA to sell even more copies of ME1 to people who bought ME2 first.
Wait there was huge interaction with Wrex. Same as there was for Garrus and Tali. Not every character has to return. In fact considering how wide the Galaxy is it would be implausible for Shephard to run into every character from ME1.

Xater

First time I heard about this. I'd buy a bundle of ME1 & 2 although I already played the first one.

I also think MS publishing the first one doesn't mean anything. The IP is owned by EA and we have already seen how you can get around deals like that with Ninja Gaiden 2, which was pusblished by MS.

Would buy if I was rich enough to buy the same games over and over again. Already rebought Mass Effect 1 for PC (Steam sale though).

Withnail

Galvanise_ said:
Its great value if both games are on one Blu-ray for £40 RRP, especially if there is DLC on the disc. I think it would do better than a lot of people think it would.

No offence but the expectations in this thread are getting a little out of control. I think it's best to hope for a decent port of ME1 and then we can all be happy if there is more :D

De-mon

Polk said:
TBH, PC version doesn't mentions MGS at all.

I could see ME2:GOTY PS3 version alongside PC and 360 versions. Full price of course with all dlc.

Is not named ME2:GOTY, if I´m not mistaken. Something more cool...

offshore said:
If it happens, I doubt the DLC will actually be on the disc, rather the DLC would come with a code inside to redeem on PSN, then for resale the person has to buy them from PSN. This is EA after all.

That sounds likely.

I would probably buy this since I haven't bought any of the paid DLC

charlequin said:
With this it's kind of the same thing: at this stage, who wants to play Mass Effect 2 that doesn't have a 360 or a decent gaming PC, but wants to play it so badly that they'll pay $60 right out of the gate? Probably not all that many people. (Although if they can do something like an ME1+2 combo pack for $60 that changes the calculus entirely.)

Right, if you really wanted to play the game that badly... you would have found a way by now.

Galvanise_ said:
That didn't stop Ninja Gaiden II. Only on Xbox 360 logo's are worth fuck all as well.

Did Ninja Gaiden II have the MSG studio opening animation on it when powered up? Why would they do that when they weren't the developer or publisher?

Arnie

De-mon said:
Is not named ME2:GOTY, if I´m not mistaken. Something more cool...
It better not be Ultimate Edition. EA have a habit of that recently.

Mass Effect: The Krogan's Bollocks Edition

PS360 here and I'd rather see bioware focusing on ME 3 or a full blown ME 2 expansion pack (a la Awakening).

If they do it, I guess it'll be more for a multiplat ME3 than for ME2 sales per se.

I don't know about the Mass Effect 1 and 2 bundle vs just a special edition of 2.

To be frank, 1 is awesome, with the better story of the two, but it's a technical disaster. It's gonna need alot of work to run at the level of 2. Plus it plays alot differently than 2. It would be kinda jarring to go from 1 to 2 immediately, on the same disk.

You could revise 1, Ninja Gaiden Sigma style, but it would require alot of programing and re-balancing, which may not be worth for just a PS3 rerelease 6 months later.

On the other hand, you have to find some way to have the PS3 players have some choice as to how 2 begins, because, to be frank, I wouldn't wish the 'canon' choices on any respectable gamer.
Dammit, Bioware!
Just having people go down a check list before starting the game would be too awkward.

So, if this does happen, would they go for a revised version of 1, plus 2, and release for PS3/360/PC, since there's no way to justify the cost any other way? Or just 2 with some sort of special prelude mission to cover the basic choices?

Galvanise_ said:
That didn't stop Ninja Gaiden II. Only on Xbox 360 logo's are worth fuck all as well.

That was just a deal between Microsoft and Tecmo, though. The first Mass Effect was a pure Microsoft funded and published game. There's a deal in place between EA and Microsoft, no doubt about it, otherwise ME2 would be multiplatform from the get go. The only question is what kind of a deal.

gdt

I <3 Memes said:

It's a shame it turned out this way. It seems like Bioware and grand ambitions as to how your choices would impact the later game but that was all screwed up due to gaming's "competing machines" stupidity.

I don't really understand the point you're trying to make.

No idea why this franchise hasn't made its way to the PS3 yet. Seems pretty stupid to wait this long to have a change of heart.

If they do plan on releasing the series on the triple they better do it post haste. Having the release too close to 3 will certainly eat into its potential sales. The games would really benefit from some simmering between releases.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom