• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This thread is for stupid GAMING questions that don't deserve their own thread

bomblord1

Banned
Is there a gaming age forum archive anywhere? To be blunt I've been seeing some interesting parallels between the Wind Waker announcement and the Prime Federation Force announcement and I want to read them to see how close or off base I am.

mclem

Is there a gaming age forum archive anywhere? To be blunt I've been seeing some interesting parallels between the Wind Waker announcement and the Prime Federation Force announcement and I want to read them to see how close or off base I am.

Actually, I'm similarly interested to see how the FFX-2 initial reception compares with the #FE one. I think it's a similarly jarring-at-first aesthetic.

Liamc723

I don't think I want to go that far with this. It was more of an off the cuff question. I don't want to detract from anyone having a good time, but it is a bit obnoxious having to scroll past those threads week after week considering more and more GAFers are realizing what downers the GB crew is. IMHO, they perpetuate the cynicism that plagues gaming culture and the less exposure they have the less we'd see threads spiraling off topic with GB hate.

Boooorrrrring. Anyway, it's 1 thread a week. Get over it.

Widge

Trying to remember an old arcade game but cannot for the life of me do it.

Think afterburner in space, used to come in an epic rotating cabinet.

Volotaire

This is the forum archive although I'm not sure if the Wind Waker reaction is archived. It has only archived content from 2004, when IGN split from NeoGAF (Gaming Age forums), if my history is correct (Forgive me Evilore if I got this wrong). Wind Waker was unveiled in 2001 SpaceWorld, so your best bet is to look for threads on other websites that reacted to the first pictures on gaming journalist websites or scanned magazine pictures (this is not allowed bytheway).

As a side note, initial overreactions like this have been repeated over many years in different aspects to Federation Force. Wind Waker, Left 4 Dead 2 (the petition to not purchase it), Bayonetta 2(not being on a 360/PS3), etc. The reactions will subside and the quality of the game will do the 'talking' when it releases.

Anyone know where I can get one of those Original DS wrist straps with the thumb stylus? my eBay and Google searches yielded plenty of info but no active places to purchase.

Hahs

Just booted up the GTA 5 single player just for the hell of it, and I noticed something that about the scene of Michael's fake funeral that didn't really make sense:

400px-GTA5miletownleyfuneral.jpg

1) Besides Amanda, and the priest, who are the other people?
2) Amanda knows that Michael isn't really dead - why the act - why is she crying?

I came up with some probabilities:

Perhaps Trevor was watching so the whole thing had to look convincing, but that can't be the case because he should be on the run, and it totally doesn't add up with the rest of the plot...so I scratched that one.

Then I was thinking maybe there's a part of the storyline that RS left out. Maybe FBI agent Dave Norton told Amanda the Michael was dead (concluding that those are her's and Michael's parents at the funeral) - in which case - where's Tracy, and Jimmy?

Then I was thinking - where is Tracy and Jimmy - assuming this whole thing ISN'T supposed to look like an act....ugh, I'm confused!

Any thoughts?

collige

Banned
Do we have any idea of when the next generation of Nvidia cards is launching? I'm hoping to upgrade my 670 by the time VR comes out, but so far I've only heard about the Ti improvements to the 9XX series.

Volotaire

Do we have any idea of when the next generation of Nvidia cards is launching? I'm hoping to upgrade my 670 by the time VR comes out, but so far I've only heard about the Ti improvements to the 9XX series.

If you mean Pascal, then 2016 is the targeted date. Information comes from NVIDIA's press conference this year. Looking at latest rumours, it says that they are on track for a mid 2016 release.

Stevey

Just booted up the GTA 5 single player just for the hell of it, and I noticed something that about the scene of Michael's fake funeral that didn't really make sense:

400px-GTA5miletownleyfuneral.jpg

1) Besides Amanda, and the priest, who are the other people?
2) Amanda knows that Michael isn't really dead - why the act - why is she crying?

I came up with some probabilities:

Perhaps Trevor was watching so the whole thing had to look convincing, but that can't be the case because he should be on the run, and it totally doesn't add up with the rest of the plot...so I scratched that one.

Then I was thinking maybe there's a part of the storyline that RS left out. Maybe FBI agent Dave Norton told Amanda the Michael was dead (concluding that those are her's and Michael's parents at the funeral) - in which case - where's Tracy, and Jimmy?

Then I was thinking - where is Tracy and Jimmy - assuming this whole thing ISN'T supposed to look like an act....ugh, I'm confused!

Any thoughts?

She's crying to make it look realistic
The other people are just stand ins to make it look realistic

Hahs

She's crying to make it look realistic
The other people are just stand ins to make it look realistic
Yeah, that part I get, but for WHO are they trying to make it look realistic for. Who's watching who are they trying to convince that Michael is dead - is my question?

There's some missing elements of the plot there, I think.

mclem

My telly is old, and needs to be replaced. But one of the ways it's showing its age seems curious, and I'd love to understand quite why it is.

I have multiple devices plugged into it; I have four HDMI slots, and am using all four. The two relevant right now are my laptop, and the PS4.

Using the laptop is absolutely fine. Using the PS4 is also absolutely fine... at first. I'm playing Arkham Knight at the moment and after playing it for a long time, the TV gets... flickery. The screen image jumps around. Sometimes it's just a quiver of a few pixels, sometimes we get frames that are significantly shifted from the normal position.

The thing is, though, it's definitely not the system itself, because if I then swap the feed through to the laptop, that will also exhibit the same shakiness of display. The only means I've found to get it to actually go away is to power cycle the TV; then I'll have a solid picture for a little while longer.

Add to this that it seems dependent on what I'm playing on the PS4, and that doesn't make sense. I played fully through Watch_Dogs, and didn't notice anything major. But Arkham Knight does seem to exhibit the issues far more reliably and more protractedly. I'd have made the assumption that it's some quirk about a given resolution, but that doesn't fit around the fact that the laptop feed is fine *before* playing on PS4, and for that matter swapping to the OS on PS4 still shows consistent flickering.

Heat might be a factor - it's very warm currently here in the UK - but it seems odd that the behaviour differs between feeds; I wouldn't expect one feed to heat up the telly more than another.

I'll probably be replacing the TV in the long term, but in the short term, it'd be useful to be able to deduce exactly what's going on here, in the hope that it'll lead to more useful solutions.

Edit: Further research and experimentation brought up the interesting point that this only seems to happen with Arkham Knight when I run it at a 1080 resolution. 720p works fine. It's not simply 1080 not working because that's the resolution my laptop's outputting, but it's an interesting extra data point. And, fortunately, that means I can keep playing AK at 720 without having these issues.

Regginator

Just bought Stealth Bastard Deluxe for Steam and when I tried to start it, it suddenly used an existing save file that I had with a DRM-free copy. Completely forgot I even had one. Anyway, now I want to start fresh again but I can't seem to delete the save file from the DRM-free copy. Does anyone know how I can delete it?

uberluigi

Banned
Anyone know the difference between the Turtle Beach Elite 800x and 500x? Their site doesnt really show anything on the 800x and youtube doesnt have any good videos explaining the difference.

Does RadeonPro's Double Vsync work with nvidia card? The reason I'm asking is because I have a mobile card on an Optimus system, which means I can't get Half Refresh Rate Vsync to work even if I force it in Inspector.

Is it easy to change regions for Nintendo 2DS/3DS? I am registered in an EU country that doesn't support online stuff like Nintendo eShop or MK7 online multiplayer. I tried quickly to change it to the UK once but it didn't seem to make any difference. Any directions?

Converse

Banned
I'm having an issue with the Theme Shop on a North American New 3DS XL. Any time I enter the shop and attempt to download a theme, the "Preparing" bar completes its progress, and then a message that says "Unable to obtain data pops up." My only option from there is to press "A"/tap "OK," which exits the shop and brings me back to my Themes menu.

At first I thought it was a fluke when it happened late last night. But I've tried it again multiple times this morning, and this afternoon -- same old shit. Looks like lots of people online have had this issue, but I haven't seen anyone offer a solution. Any GAF wizards know what to do here?

PtM

Banned
I'm having an issue with the Theme Shop on a North American New 3DS XL. Any time I enter the shop and attempt to download a theme, the "Preparing" bar completes its progress, and then a message that says "Unable to obtain data pops up." My only option from there is to press "A"/tap "OK," which exits the shop and brings me back to my Themes menu.

At first I thought it was a fluke when it happened late last night. But I've tried it again multiple times this morning, and this afternoon -- same old shit. Looks like lots of people online have had this issue, but I haven't seen anyone offer a solution. Any GAF wizards know what to do here?
Try deleting the data and reload?

Converse

Banned
Try deleting the data and reload?

Thanks for the suggestion, but the only data present on the 3DS related to the Theme Shop is just a bundle called "Theme" under Downloadable Content. So if I delete that, I lose all my existing themes until I redownload them. And the issue is that I can't download any themes, at all. So it might fix it, might leave me worse off than I started.

I guess I'll have to call NoA for this inane issue.

Tambini

So just now I was watching a blu ray on my ps3 when suddenly it turned off and so did my PS4 which was on rest mode.
At first I thought a power cut but my TV stayed on. The consoles didn't lose power completely though because I could press the power buttons to turn them both back on. So I finished watching the blu ray on my ps3 and went to check the ps4.

I turned it on and there was no picture and it shut down after a few seconds. so now i'm quite worried. I swap the power lead with the ps3 one and try again, now it works. so im wondering WTF happened? What would cause just both playstations get shut off when everything else stayed powered on?

So just now I was watching a blu ray on my ps3 when suddenly it turned off and so did my PS4 which was on rest mode.
At first I thought a power cut but my TV stayed on. The consoles didn't lose power completely though because I could press the power buttons to turn them both back on. So I finished watching the blu ray on my ps3 and went to check the ps4.

I turned it on and there was no picture and it shut down after a few seconds. so now i'm quite worried. I swap the power lead with the ps3 one and try again, now it works. so im wondering WTF happened? What would cause just both playstations get shut off when everything else stayed powered on?

Does the PS3 still work when you use the cable that was originally in the PS4?

Patryn

Were they on the same power strip? Did you see lights on the same circuit dim?

Tambini

Does the PS3 still work when you use the cable that was originally in the PS4?

Yeah the ps4 cable works now

Were they on the same power strip? Did you see lights on the same circuit dim?

They are in the same power strip yeah but so is my tv which didn't turn off

Everything seems to be working now it was just really weird and my ps4 didnt seem to like it at all so I don't think I'll be leaving it on standby anymore

Regginator

Do the Mass Effect DLC packs on Origin ever get discounted? Either I keep missing out on them or they rarely get discounted. I still haven't played ME2's Arrival and ME3's From Ashes, Leviathan, Omega and Citadel, and I'll be damned if I pay full price for them in 2015.

Anyone have issues with selecting directx 11 in Deus Ex: HR? Missing Link works (minus being unable to select 60hz), but it's just grayed out in the original game. I tried different drivers and registry settings/tweaks, but nothing worked.

Doofcake

Do the Mass Effect DLC packs on Origin ever get discounted? Either I keep missing out on them or they rarely get discounted. I still haven't played ME2's Arrival and ME3's From Ashes, Leviathan, Omega and Citadel, and I'll be damned if I pay full price for them in 2015.

DLC discounts on Origin are rare and over time the prices don't drop.

Volotaire

I've been researching the list of 50HZ PAL only games that have plagued older consoles in PAL territories, even in the 6th generation and 7th generation HD collections/virtual console and other services.

My first question: does a website exist that lists all 50Hz only games? I can only find fragments of information on different websites for different consoles.

Secondly, is there a thread on NeoGAF that serves this purpose. I know about the Wii U virtual console thread but I was hoping to create an encyclopedic thread that helps serve PAL collectors and PAL territory gamers who want to experience older games at their intended speed.

Nose Master

I have this odd issue with my PS4:

If I don't have my television set to the correct video channel when I power on my PS4, it doesn't display any video. Sometimes it will after waiting an extended period of time, but I usually just turn it off and on again. No other consoles have this issue with my television or with that HDMI port.

Is that a normal thing?

Floody

I have this odd issue with my PS4:

If I don't have my television set to the correct video channel when I power on my PS4, it doesn't display any video. Sometimes it will after waiting an extended period of time, but I usually just turn it off and on again. No other consoles have this issue with my television or with that HDMI port.

Is that a normal thing?

Similar thing used to happen to me, but it would only happen if I turned my PS4 on before my TV, changed the HDMI cable (just swapped it over with my Wii U's), and it didn't happen any more.

Joe

Is there a way to gift EA Access? I want to give a year subscription to some friends but I don't see an option

I have Injustice, Mortal Kombat, and Ultra Street Fighter 4 in my Steam library (grabbed them from sales and such). I'm new to the genre. Which one should I start with?

*Any other suggestion is welcome, but I would prefer to start with something I already owned.

Corpekata

Banned
How do I uninstall steam games without losing my saves ?

(Explain it to me like I'm a 6 year old lol)

Right click the game's name in Steam, delete local content. No games really delete saves or profiles because they are in different folders 9 times out of 10 (in the My Documents area). And even the ones that do have them in the game folder tend to leave them there.

Top Bottom