• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

pauljeremiah
Member
(08-23-2010, 12:17 AM)
pauljeremiah's Avatar
I decided to change my podcast. Instead of having a podcast where it's just me talking, I have decided to re-brand the podcast as "Gaming Influences."

I want to have a podcast where members of the gaming press/game developers/gamers are asked about their personal histories with the gaming world.

In the premiere episode of "Gaming Influences" my guest is former GamePro EIC John Davison and we talk about how he got into the industry and his history with the industry and where he thinks both the games industry and gaming media is going.

Please note that this was recorded whilst John was still EIC.

Here's the iTunes link

Here's the Direct Link

RSS Feed

Offical Podcast Blog
snap0212
Member
(08-23-2010, 12:24 AM)
Downloading now. :)
K.Jack
Knowledge is power, guard it well
(08-23-2010, 12:25 AM)
K.Jack's Avatar
Sounds really interesting. Will def check it out.
Keyser Soze
Member
(08-23-2010, 12:26 AM)
Keyser Soze's Avatar
Your avatar is 90px 135px and 297kb... fix it and I shall listen to the podcast

[IMG]http://s4.************/2ib11n7.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://s4.************/33mbsso.jpg[/IMG]
Corto
Member
(08-23-2010, 12:31 AM)
Corto's Avatar
Will listen, love listening to John Davison talk about video games and the industry.
bernardobri
Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
(08-23-2010, 12:34 AM)
bernardobri's Avatar
You had me at John Davison.
Tashi
343i Lead Esports Producer
(08-23-2010, 12:43 AM)
Tashi's Avatar
Will listen
randomwab
Member
(08-23-2010, 12:45 AM)
randomwab's Avatar
John Davison? Downloading.
pauljeremiah
Member
(08-23-2010, 12:48 AM)
pauljeremiah's Avatar

Originally Posted by Keyser Soze

Your avatar is 90px 135px and 297kb... fix it and I shall listen to the podcast

[IMG]http://s4.************/2ib11n7.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://s4.************/33mbsso.jpg[/IMG]

Fixed, now feel free to download the podcast >_O
mclaren777
Banned
(08-23-2010, 12:49 AM)
mclaren777's Avatar
Did he only ever do one episode of the now-dead Game Pro podcast?
StuBurns
Banned
(08-23-2010, 12:49 AM)
StuBurns's Avatar
Inside The Creative Directors Studio is a genius idea.
Someone needs to make that happen.
Keyser Soze
Member
(08-23-2010, 12:49 AM)
Keyser Soze's Avatar

Originally Posted by pauljeremiah

Fixed, now feel free to download the podcast >_O

Will do...

I was going to anyway
Gomu Gomu
Member
(08-23-2010, 12:51 AM)
Gomu Gomu's Avatar
Awesome. Listening.
I've got a couple of questions though: Is this going to be a regular podcast? (Monthly?) And is it going to be only about gaming? Because the iTunes description says otherwise.
Persona7
Banned
(08-23-2010, 12:51 AM)
Downloading at the speed of light.
pauljeremiah
Member
(08-23-2010, 12:59 AM)
pauljeremiah's Avatar

Originally Posted by StuBurns

Inside The Creative Directors Studio is a genius idea.
Someone needs to make that happen.

Thanks :D
pauljeremiah
Member
(08-23-2010, 01:02 AM)
pauljeremiah's Avatar

Originally Posted by Gomu Gomu

Awesome. Listening.
I've got a couple of questions though: Is this going to be a regular podcast? (Monthly?) And is it going to be only about gaming? Because the iTunes description says otherwise.

I had an older podcast that kinda dealt with alot of topics, I have since updated the description on my feed, but it hasn't updated on iTunes yet

and I will try to have at least 1 episode a month, it's just hard to arrange times with people, since I am in Ireland and most of the people I hope to interview are on the west coast. so when i recorded this podcast we started recording at around 2am irish time, which i think was 6pm San Fran time
Neuromancer
The Mayuh of f'n Bawston
(08-23-2010, 01:04 AM)
Neuromancer's Avatar
Will listen, thanks!
pauljeremiah
Member
(08-23-2010, 01:04 AM)
pauljeremiah's Avatar

Originally Posted by mclaren777

Did he only ever do one episode of the now-dead Game Pro podcast?

they had the culture club podcast

here's the iTunes link
StuBurns
Banned
(08-23-2010, 01:06 AM)
StuBurns's Avatar

Originally Posted by pauljeremiah

Thanks :D

To be honest, that was responding to John's mention earlier in the show that someone should do that as the industry matures as appose to your question section at the end.

In the Pivot questions, the what turns you on is meant to be "what turns you on creatively, spiritually or emotionally", as appose to sexually.

I think the literally thing is odd, it's probably because figuratively (which it is replacing) is an awful word.

Surprised Americans find the word cunt offensive, seems pretty immature.
pauljeremiah
Member
(08-23-2010, 01:13 AM)
pauljeremiah's Avatar

Originally Posted by StuBurns

To be honest, that was responding to John's mention earlier in the show that someone should do that as the industry matures as appose to your question section at the end.

In the Pivot questions, the what turns you on is meant to be "what turns you on creatively, spiritually or emotionally", as appose to sexually.

I think the literally thing is odd, it's probably because figuratively (which it is replacing) is an awful word.

Surprised Americans find the word cunt offensive, seems pretty immature.

I knew what the "turned on" question meant before I said it, it's one of those moments where our minds just went there...

I hate the missuse of figuratively too XD and yeah I just found it funny how americans reacted to cunt, and since you're not meant to say it, saying it made it extra sweet ^_^
StuBurns
Banned
(08-23-2010, 01:17 AM)
StuBurns's Avatar

Originally Posted by pauljeremiah

I knew what the "turned on" question meant before I said it, it's one of those moments where our minds just went there...

I hate the missuse of figuratively too XD and yeah I just found it funny how americans reacted to cunt, and since you're not meant to say it, saying it made it extra sweet ^_^

For me the worst offender is 'chronic', almost everyone thinks chronic pain means intense as appose to prolonged, very irritating.
Broseybrose
Member
(08-23-2010, 01:20 AM)
Broseybrose's Avatar
Right on. Will check it out.
Keyser Soze
Member
(08-23-2010, 01:27 AM)
Keyser Soze's Avatar
Listened to a few minutes and tossed up a 5 star rating on the Irish iTunes Store. Not sure if that will help promote it much, but it is the best I can do.

I think I am going to hold back and give this a full listen tomorrow.
pauljeremiah
Member
(08-23-2010, 01:28 AM)
pauljeremiah's Avatar

Originally Posted by Keyser Soze

Listened to a few minutes and tossed up a 5 star rating on the Irish iTunes Store. Not sure if that will help promote it much, but it is the best I can do.

I think I am going to hold back and give this a full listen tomorrow.

thanks :D
krae_man
Member
(08-23-2010, 02:08 AM)
krae_man's Avatar
I would say John's favorite word is "a-tall"
pauljeremiah
Member
(08-23-2010, 02:17 AM)
pauljeremiah's Avatar

Originally Posted by krae_man

I would say John's favorite word is "a-tall"

:lol
pauljeremiah
Member
(08-23-2010, 11:26 AM)
pauljeremiah's Avatar
i was thinking who would you like me to interview for this series?

i have a small list of confirmed quests.
Gomu Gomu
Member
(08-23-2010, 12:16 PM)
Gomu Gomu's Avatar

Originally Posted by pauljeremiah

i was thinking who would you like me to interview for this series?

i have a small list of confirmed quests.

Jeff Green.
Warren Spector.
7threst
Member
(08-23-2010, 12:22 PM)
7threst's Avatar
This is a great idea! I wanted to add it to my podcast-feed in Rhythmbox but there is only an iTunes-link and a direct link :(
But anyway, downloading now.
StuBurns
Banned
(08-23-2010, 12:27 PM)
StuBurns's Avatar

Originally Posted by Gomu Gomu

Jeff Green.
Warren Spector.

Spector is a great choice.

I think Jonathan Blow would be pretty cool, he has some very confrontational opinions on the industry, Ken Levine would be good too. Erik Wolpaw is a great podcast guest.
soultron
Banned
(08-23-2010, 12:29 PM)
soultron's Avatar
Listening now. JD is tops, so I'm thankful you got him on your show!
Arucardo
Member
(08-23-2010, 12:38 PM)
Arucardo's Avatar
Sounds interesting, I'll fire it up in a bit :D .
pauljeremiah
Member
(08-23-2010, 01:00 PM)
pauljeremiah's Avatar

Originally Posted by soultron

Listening now. JD is tops, so I'm thankful you got him on your show!

I'm thinkfull you're listening, I was really nevrous posting it here, was just terrifed that it would crash in a ball of flames, but thankfully the feedback has been great.
pauljeremiah
Member
(08-23-2010, 01:04 PM)
pauljeremiah's Avatar

Originally Posted by Gomu Gomu

Jeff Green.
Warren Spector.

I did send a message to Jeff but haven't heard anything back yet.

I must drop Warren Spector a line.
pauljeremiah
Member
(08-23-2010, 01:05 PM)
pauljeremiah's Avatar

Originally Posted by StuBurns

Spector is a great choice.

I think Jonathan Blow would be pretty cool, he has some very confrontational opinions on the industry, Ken Levine would be good too. Erik Wolpaw is a great podcast guest.

Yeah would love to get Jonathan Blow, or other independant developers.

Ken Lavine would be amazing, also would love to get Shawn Elliott on it.
pauljeremiah
Member
(08-23-2010, 01:09 PM)
pauljeremiah's Avatar

Originally Posted by 7threst

This is a great idea! I wanted to add it to my podcast-feed in Rhythmbox but there is only an iTunes-link and a direct link :(
But anyway, downloading now.

Thanks, I'm using libsyn to host the feed and all they do is direct links and iTunes.

would an RSS feed work for you with Rhythmbox?
LoveAndBeer
Member
(08-23-2010, 01:54 PM)
LoveAndBeer's Avatar
An RSS feed would be great for us non-iTuners.

Thanks!
Gowans
(08-23-2010, 02:00 PM)
Gowans's Avatar
Subscribed.

With this podcasts I will be here to listen to the guests not the host (sorry Paul), please let them speak.

Also from listening you may find it a benefit for your interviews to step back a little. Don't put (or guide with) your opinions into your questions (let they guest use theirs), invest in research of your guest before the interview, ask questions we haven't heard before and listen instead of thinking what your going to say/ask next.

Look forward to your next shows.
pauljeremiah
Member
(08-23-2010, 02:03 PM)
pauljeremiah's Avatar

Originally Posted by Gowans007

Subscribed.

With this podcasts I will be here to listen to the guests not the host (sorry Paul), please let them speak.

Also from listening you may find it a benefit for your interviews to step back a little. Don't put (or guide with) your opinions into your questions (let they guest use theirs), invest in research of your guest before the interview, ask questions we haven't heard before and listen instead of thinking what your going to say/ask next.

Look forward to your next shows.

Thanks so much for the advice ^_^ really helpful
pauljeremiah
Member
(08-23-2010, 02:04 PM)
pauljeremiah's Avatar

Originally Posted by LoveAndBeer

An RSS feed would be great for us non-iTuners.

Thanks!

http://pauljeremiah.libsyn.com/rss
Vinterbird
Member
(08-23-2010, 02:05 PM)
Vinterbird's Avatar

Originally Posted by pauljeremiah

i was thinking who would you like me to interview for this series?

i have a small list of confirmed quests.

Gonzalo Frasca
Eric Zimmerman
Katie Salen
Geoff Keighley
Torben Grodal
Raph Koster
Mark J.P. Wolf
Hugh Hancock
Jesper Juul
Gowans
(08-23-2010, 02:09 PM)
Gowans's Avatar
Best part of the podcast for me is Johns answers to the ten random questions at the end. Really something different and made the listen for me, would have loved more of it.
pauljeremiah
Member
(08-23-2010, 02:12 PM)
pauljeremiah's Avatar

Originally Posted by Gowans007

Best part of the podcast for me is Johns answers to the ten random questions at the end. Really something different and made the listen for me, would have loved more of it.

well the ten questions at the end are the same ones that they ask on "Inside The Actors Studio" but they are more question in the Proust Questionnaire that I can ask, and will.
trinest
(08-23-2010, 02:14 PM)
trinest's Avatar
Sounds interesting- shall download.
pauljeremiah
Member
(08-23-2010, 02:14 PM)
pauljeremiah's Avatar

Originally Posted by Vinterbird

Gonzalo Frasca
Eric Zimmerman
Katie Salen
Geoff Keighley
Torben Grodal
Raph Koster
Mark J.P. Wolf
Hugh Hancock
Jesper Juul

thanks for the suggestions, would love to interview Keighley
B_Rik_Schitthaus
Banned
(08-23-2010, 02:17 PM)
B_Rik_Schitthaus's Avatar

Originally Posted by pauljeremiah

i was thinking who would you like me to interview for this series?

i have a small list of confirmed quests.

Tim Schafer and then the next episode could be Tim Schafer with Tim Schafer, maybe also Tim Schafer but only if you get Tim Schafer.


Jeff Green, Robert Ashley as well
pauljeremiah
Member
(08-23-2010, 02:36 PM)
pauljeremiah's Avatar

Originally Posted by B_Rik_Schitthaus

Tim Schafer and then the next episode could be Tim Schafer with Tim Schafer, maybe also Tim Schafer but only if you get Tim Schafer.


Jeff Green, Robert Ashley as well

HAHA Schafer would be amazing to have, I loved it when he was on one of the first episodes of 4guys1up.

I would love to interview all the members of GFW, I have contacted a few of them, but have yet to hear back yet.
pauljeremiah
Member
(08-23-2010, 03:35 PM)
pauljeremiah's Avatar

Originally Posted by trinest

Sounds interesting- shall download.

thanks
Vexidus
Member
(08-23-2010, 03:40 PM)
Vexidus's Avatar
Downloading this right now to check out!

Rod Humble would be interesting (The Sims series)

Rand Miller (Myst series)
pauljeremiah
Member
(08-23-2010, 05:06 PM)
pauljeremiah's Avatar

Originally Posted by Vexidus

Downloading this right now to check out!

Rod Humble would be interesting (The Sims series)

Rand Miller (Myst series)

Thanks

I was wondering if you want me to say who I have on the podcast or would you prefer if I left it as a surprise?

Thread Tools