• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

pauljeremiah
(08-24-2010, 01:48 PM)
In this episode I talk with Dan about early gaming and how he got into the industry. We also talk about the current state of games media and Dan sums up his thoughts on print journalism in its current state.

I do want may a small apology for the sound quality, the sound itself is fine, but every ten minutes or so you will hear a weird noise that sounds like an old arcade jingle, I did try my best in post to reduce the effects of this noise so that it would no interfere with the episode.

Here's the iTunes link

Here's the Direct Link

RSS Feed

Offical Blog
Last edited by pauljeremiah; 08-24-2010 at 03:08 PM.
DieH@rd
(08-24-2010, 01:51 PM)
will download
Brewster's Wallet
(08-24-2010, 01:57 PM)
BM for later downloading!
Flakster99
(08-24-2010, 02:11 PM)
Enjoyed the 1st podcast. Will download again. :)
pauljeremiah
(08-24-2010, 02:48 PM)
thanks for the support guys
Foliorum Viridum
Banned
(08-24-2010, 02:50 PM)
I liked the JD episode, but Dan "I have a girlfriend" Hsu killed Bitmob for me, so I won't be listening to this one.
Gomu Gomu
(08-24-2010, 02:52 PM)
Whoa there, slow down cowboy :lol . Might wanna separate the episodes a little. :P

Originally Posted by Foliorum Viridum

Dan "I have a girlfriend" Hsu killed Bitmob for me, so I won't be listening to this one.

:lol Seriously.
big_z
just gonna rub one out
in the next few minutes
(08-24-2010, 02:57 PM)

I liked the JD episode, but Dan "I have a girlfriend" Hsu killed Bitmob for me, so I won't be listening to this one.

maybe you can try bitmob again since he's now Dan "i got dumped" hsu.
Curufinwe
(08-24-2010, 02:59 PM)

If you listen to last week's Mobcast you'll discover that phase of his life is over with.
Foliorum Viridum
Banned
(08-24-2010, 03:00 PM)
Really? :lol I stopped listening months ago.

Nah the format was getting stale so he's not the sole reason, but the most annoying thing of all was him mentioning her all the time, or even worse when she'd be on the show too and they're indulge in the most boring of discussions.

Anyway, that's now what this thread is for. My original comment was more a compliment on the show being interesting with the right person than a dig at Dan. :)
StuBurns
Banned
(08-24-2010, 03:01 PM)
Hearing her bitch about 3D killed the show for me, not listened since.

Downloaded the podcast, will give it a listen later, thanks.
big_z
just gonna rub one out
in the next few minutes
(08-24-2010, 03:03 PM)

Nah the format was getting stale so he's not the sole reason, but the most annoying thing of all was him mentioning her all the time, or even worse when she'd be on the show too and they're indulge in the most boring of discussions.

bitmob is hit and miss, depends on whos on the podcast and the topics. the one where they talk about getting abducted into an alien arcade zoo was good and so was the "god damn you minotaur!" episode.
Kiriku
SWEDISH PERFECTION
(08-24-2010, 03:06 PM)
There's a problem with the direct link, when I copy + paste it shows up as:
"http://traffic.libsyn.com/pauljeremiah/Gaming_Influences_Episode_2.mp3%20"

So I guess you added a space at the end by mistake (the first episode has none of that in the direct link)? I removed the space at the end and it worked fine. Thought I would mention it in case anyone else has a problem downloading it. :)
pauljeremiah
(08-24-2010, 03:08 PM)

Originally Posted by Kiriku

There's a problem with the direct link, when I copy + paste it shows up as:
"http://traffic.libsyn.com/pauljeremiah/Gaming_Influences_Episode_2.mp3%20"

So I guess you added a space at the end by mistake (the first episode has none of that in the direct link)? I removed the space at the end and it worked fine. Thought I would mention it in case anyone else has a problem downloading it. :)

Thanks I'll fix that in my first post
pauljeremiah
(08-24-2010, 03:54 PM)

Originally Posted by Gomu Gomu

Whoa there, slow down cowboy :lol . Might wanna separate the episodes a little. :P

:lol Seriously.

Just letting you know that Episode 3 is been recorded tonight and will be release about the same time tomorrow, then I'll slow down for a few days :D
Quixzlizx
(08-24-2010, 04:27 PM)

Originally Posted by big_z

maybe you can try bitmob again since he's now Dan "i got dumped" hsu.

He didn't spend enough time admiring her subtle beauty.
StuBurns
Banned
(08-24-2010, 04:30 PM)

Originally Posted by Quixzlizx

He didn't spend enough time admiring her subtle beauty.

What game had the subtle beauty? Was it GTA4?
pauljeremiah
(08-24-2010, 05:13 PM)

Originally Posted by StuBurns

Hearing her bitch about 3D killed the show for me, not listened since.

Downloaded the podcast, will give it a listen later, thanks.

thanks dude
pauljeremiah
(08-24-2010, 05:56 PM)

Originally Posted by J. M. Romeo

Halo 3, I think.

:lol
StuBurns
Banned
(08-24-2010, 06:19 PM)
Listened to the episode, surprised to hear Hsu's take on the print press. I think he's right in a very two dimensional way, physically printed magazines are a dying breed, but I think with things like the iPad and the growing use of things like Kindles, a quite traditional magazine style company could be sustained thru digital sales. I know it's opening your magazine to piracy, but if something like Edge had digital monthly subscriptions, I think they'd make a lot of money, they could distribute the world over as well. People will pay for good content if the form factor is right I think. People aren't going to pay to use Kotaku of course, because it's shit, but I'd certainly pay for digital Edge.
pauljeremiah
(08-24-2010, 06:23 PM)

Listened to the episode, surprised to hear Hsu's take on the print press. I think he's right in a very two dimensional way, physically printed magazines are a dying breed, but I think with things like the iPad and the growing use of things like Kindles, a quite traditional magazine style company could be sustained thru digital sales. I know it's opening your magazine to piracy, but if something like Edge had digital monthly subscriptions, I think they'd make a lot of money, they could distribute the world over as well. People will pay for good content if the form factor is right I think. People aren't going to pay to use Kotaku of course, because it's shit, but I'd certainly pay for digital Edge.

GAMEStm is on itunes, would love to see Edge been delivered digitally
GhaleonQ
(08-24-2010, 07:00 PM)

Originally Posted by Curufinwe

If you listen to last week's Mobcast you'll discover that phase of his life is over with.

Indeed. I thought that NeoGAF would rejoice.
pauljeremiah
(08-24-2010, 08:36 PM)

common dude, give it a try, I promise I will make it up to you with my next guest
A Human Becoming
(08-24-2010, 08:37 PM)

Originally Posted by pauljeremiah

common dude, give it a try, I promise I will make it up to you with my next guest

Jeff Green? :D
StuBurns
Banned
(08-24-2010, 08:39 PM)

It's Mila Kunis isn't it? The first video podcast, can't wait.

Sorry, just watch Eli last night, inspired by your podcast in fact, Davison mentioned it
Woo-Fu
incest on the subway
(08-24-2010, 08:39 PM)
How many times does he say Halo? :D
Kum0
(08-24-2010, 08:44 PM)

Originally Posted by Woo-Fu

How many times does he say Halo? :D

Episode sponsored by Halo:Reach :lol

Good view, both espisodes have been very imformative and entertaining :D
pauljeremiah
(08-24-2010, 08:50 PM)

Originally Posted by ICallItFutile

Jeff Green? :D

>_O
Last edited by pauljeremiah; 08-24-2010 at 08:53 PM.
pauljeremiah
(08-24-2010, 08:53 PM)

Originally Posted by Kum0

Episode sponsored by Halo:Reach :lol

Good view, both espisodes have been very imformative and entertaining :D

thanks dude :D
pauljeremiah
(08-24-2010, 08:54 PM)

It's Mila Kunis isn't it? The first video podcast, can't wait.

Sorry, just watch Eli last night, inspired by your podcast in fact, Davison mentioned it

VoteForPedro
(08-24-2010, 09:10 PM)
Really liked the first one, downloading this now.
pauljeremiah
(08-24-2010, 09:16 PM)
I think this solves the mystery of who my guest will be tonight

Neuromancer
The Mayuh of f'n Bawston
(08-24-2010, 09:27 PM)

:lol Yeah really
No_Style
Doesn't want to make an
ass of himself
(08-24-2010, 09:31 PM)
A few questions:

What was that noise? A phone? And that was a looong pause with Dan while he was thinking about this least favorite word.
StevePharma
(08-24-2010, 09:39 PM)
I really liked your first podcast and will listen to all your new ones. I loved the fact that you ended the first one with all these bullshit questions an 8-year old asks for an interview, yet spawned some interesting conversation nonetheless. :D
pauljeremiah
(08-24-2010, 09:39 PM)

Originally Posted by No_Style

A few questions:

What was that noise? A phone? And that was a looong pause with Dan while he was thinking about this least favorite word.

i have no idea what that noise was, i really tried to get rid of it in post. as for the long pause, well he was thinking, there was a 2 other times when he paused to think, and I did edit those out.
V_Ben
(08-24-2010, 09:41 PM)
This is a really great podcast man. Subscribing :D
No_Style
Doesn't want to make an
ass of himself
(08-24-2010, 09:45 PM)

i have no idea what that noise was, i really tried to get rid of it in post. as for the long pause, well he was thinking, there was a 2 other times when he paused to think, and I did edit those out.

Yeah, I knew he was thinking, but I had to check my Windows Media Player to ensure that it didn't stop.

Great job nonetheless. I look forward to the Jeff Green episode.
pauljeremiah
(08-24-2010, 09:46 PM)

Originally Posted by V_Ben

This is a really great podcast man. Subscribing :D

thanks so much dude, i appreciate it
pauljeremiah
(08-24-2010, 10:02 PM)

Originally Posted by StevePharma

I really liked your first podcast and will listen to all your new ones. I loved the fact that you ended the first one with all these bullshit questions an 8-year old asks for an interview, yet spawned some interesting conversation nonetheless. :D

thanks dude.

well that's what I wanted to create with the podcast an interesting conversation.
daycru
Banned
(08-24-2010, 10:20 PM)
I've enjoyed the first two shows, subscribed on iTunes. My only criticism, and I'd probably do the same thing due to nerves, is that your questions tend to be really meandering. You ask the question, restate in a different form, and then ask it again. I'm sure you'll work through it as you get more shows under your belt but it might be something to think about. Keep up the good work!
WhiskeyKnight
(08-24-2010, 10:25 PM)

I think this solves the mystery of who my guest will be tonight

The podcast is cool and all, but I think you need guests besides ex-Ziff Davis employees for it to live up to its title.
pauljeremiah
(08-24-2010, 10:35 PM)

Originally Posted by WhiskeyKnight

The podcast is cool and all, but I think you need guests besides ex-Ziff Davis employees for it to live up to its title.

I agree, I have contacted other people but have yet to hear back. This is just the way it happened, I was thinking that myself earlier.
pauljeremiah
(08-25-2010, 12:24 AM)

Originally Posted by daycru

I've enjoyed the first two shows, subscribed on iTunes. My only criticism, and I'd probably do the same thing due to nerves, is that your questions tend to be really meandering. You ask the question, restate in a different form, and then ask it again. I'm sure you'll work through it as you get more shows under your belt but it might be something to think about. Keep up the good work!

thanks, I'll try to keep them shorter and more to the point when I interview Jeff tonight
coopolon
(08-25-2010, 01:25 AM)
For some reason when I try to subscribe to the RSS feed using Google Listen, it loads up all 4 episodes you've done of Blogcast, one of which is with John Davison, but when I try to listen to it, it tells me, "An error occurred while playing this episode." The fact that the rss feed works fine in firefox seems to suggest it's not your fault though.
PseudoPrime1979
(08-25-2010, 01:39 AM)
Just downloaded both episodes, will listen later. Is John Davison not EIC at Gamepro anymore?
StuBurns
Banned
(08-25-2010, 01:40 AM)

Originally Posted by PseudoPrime1979

Just downloaded both episodes, will listen later. Is John Davison not EIC at Gamepro anymore?

Nop
PseudoPrime1979
(08-25-2010, 01:41 AM)
So what is JD doing now? Or is that unannounced?
StuBurns
Banned
(08-25-2010, 01:43 AM)

Originally Posted by PseudoPrime1979

So what is JD doing now? Or is that unannounced?

No word yet.
stewy
(08-25-2010, 01:43 AM)

Originally Posted by WhiskeyKnight

My sentiments exactly. Very cool show. But don't ruin the idea by interviewing all the usual suspects. Get some guys and gals on there that don't make the podcast rounds every month or so.