• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How could you let this happen Sony!? Kingdom Hearts not coming to PSN/PSPGo

WTF!?

Kotaku said:
Are you a big Kingdom Hearts fan? Did you trade in your normal PSP for a sleek and shiny PSP Go last year? Then you won't be playing Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep any time soon.

Amidst rumors that the latest entry in the Kingdom Hearts series, due for UMD release next month, would not see a digital release, blogger and Arizona Daily Star writer Phil Villarreal contacted Square Enix PR firm Ogilvy for a firm answer, and that answer is no, there are no plans to release Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep on the PlayStation Network, which is the only way PSP Go owners would be able to play it.

how ...how ...how the!?

Now to be honest, I wasn't gonna buy this anyway as it's not my scene and what not. Still, I feel bad for the kids out there who were and this pisses me off as it should any Go owner.

oh yeah, sorry if old

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
OLLLLLLLLLLD.

Didn't happen on Japan PSN. Won't happen in the rest of the world.

Stupid, yes. But the world keeps turning for shitting on PSPGo owners.

Pooya

animlboogy said:
What could the reason possibly be? Isn't any potential PSP market a good thing, even if it's kind of small?
I think it is related to copy protection/DRM they are using, releasing on PSN makes it easy to crack or something like that, not sure.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
AgentOtaku said:
didn't know that

I just think it's crazy such a high profile release doesn't have that representation. ESPECIALLY in Japan!

The vast majority of the end of 2009-beginning of 2010 high profile PSP releases in Japan didn't get put on PSN.

Niblet

Oh man, remember every time one of us said this was the case and people responded "But that ad shows KH on the PSPGo, what are you stuuupid?"
Well I hate to be right this time. Sorry Go owners.

Stumpokapow said:
The vast majority of the end of 2009-beginning of 2010 high profile PSP releases in Japan didn't get put on PSN.
Glad Japan is on my side with this DD market. I want my games on physical media dammit!

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
We already knew that months ago. There was something about Square Enix's contract with Disney not allowing any of the games to be distributed digitally.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
AgentOtaku said:
whoa! that's nuts

why?

Well the PSP Go isn't even close to selling out its initial 150k shipment in Japan, so PSP Go owners represent <1% of the userbase and it's assumed that a fair few of them owned PSPs anyway, so probably well less than 1% of the effective userbase.

Aaron Strife said:
Do they even still sell PSP Go?

Are you asking "Is the PSP Go still for sale?" or "Do they still sell PSP Go?". In order, "yes" and "no".

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I'm surprised they released Go if they couldn't at the very least put it in their licensing agreement for all psp pubs going forward that they had to put their game on PSN.

I guess they weren't able to revise that into their existing licensing agreements. A cautionary tale.

Stumpokapow said:
Well the PSP Go isn't even close to selling out its initial 150k shipment in Japan, so PSP Go owners represent <1% of the userbase and it's assumed that a fair few of them owned PSPs anyway, so probably well less than 1% of the effective userbase.

my god.

Haunted

Stumpokapow said:
Man oh man.

Stumpokapow said:
Are you asking "Is the PSP Go still for sale?" or "Do they still sell PSP Go?". In order, "yes" and "no".
Now that's just cold.

Brazil said:
We already knew that months ago. There was something about Square Enix's contract with Disney not allowing any of the games to be distributed digitally.

But that's weird, there are both Disney and Squarenix games on the PSN store right now. I don't understand why they're avoiding the PSN like that. Is Sony screwing editors with crazy pricing or something? I thought that DD was really profitable for editors, and publishers, they don't have to worry about printing the wrong number of copies or anything.

Fun fact: Sony has said in the past that they will do nothing to make people put UMD releases for sale on PSN, which is perhaps the most bafflingly stupid move I have ever seen a company trying to sell hardware make in years.

Stumpokapow said:
Well the PSP Go isn't even close to selling out its initial 150k shipment in Japan
...dude.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
RockmanWhore said:
But that's weird, there are both Disney and Squarenix games on the PSN store right now. I don't understand why they're avoiding the PSN like that. Is Sony screwing editors with crazy pricing or something? I thought that DD was really profitable for editors, and publishers, they don't have to worry about printing the wrong number of copies or anything.
I don't remember if the exact details of the contract surfaced, but if I recall correctly Birth by Sleep fell under the same contract that was signed years ago for games released before the PSP Go - and that obviously didn't cover digital releases.

Fake edit: The thread is here, from last November.

depward

Satisfied PSPgo owner here, not really looking to purchase this title (not a big KH fan), so no big deal for me.

LiveFromKyoto said:
I don't really understand how anybody benefits from this.
That's what I said when they announced the PSP Go.

I actually forgot how close Birth By Sleep is. Why's it have to come out the week after Metroid? Bah.

Takao

Banned
Hey look, SE and Disney just gave me a reason to not buy this game till it's $20!

KeiichiInafune said:
So..................

What's the deal with the PSN logo on the site?? Does it have leaderboards or real online play??

Lies. Like Sony lied with this at E3:

no_shit.png

Although Square could pull the whole "herp a derp, online multiplayer via Ad-Hoc Party!".

That E3 2010 sizzle video also had the new DBZ game shown on a Go, despite the fact the official website doesn't mention PSN, and every Bandai Namco trailer has shown it running only on a 3000.

No45

This comes up a fair amount on the EU blog posts (You know, the one that Sony actually answer...) and they've laid the blame squarely *ahem* at the feet of the publisher.

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2010...5th-august-2010/comment-page-3/#comment-97238

You’ll notice Dissidia came out about 6 months after its UMD release in the US and in the EU. We do ask Square Enix for simultaneous digital releases but it’s ultimately their decision.

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2010...5th-august-2010/comment-page-4/#comment-97280

Just a couple of comments from this week on the matter.

snap0212

Sony is kinda like the cool mom your best friend had and you always wanted. Now you're glad because this guy is a complete trainwreck and you're awesome. She gave him every chance to make the best out of his life but he always failed at everything, because he thought it was "too hard" so he gave up. His mother always thought "well, if he wants to get good grades he'll do his homework, get a good job and everything will be fine. I'm not going to force him to do his homework, because he has to decide what's best for him". He could have ended up being the president...

Skilletor

Takao said:
Hey look, SE and Disney just gave me a reason to not buy this game till it's $20!

Lies. Like Sony lied with this at E3:

no_shit.png

Although Square could pull the whole "herp a derp, online multiplayer via Ad-Hoc Party!".

That E3 2010 sizzle video also had the new DBZ game shown on a Go, despite the fact the official website doesn't mention PSN, and every Bandai Namco trailer has shown it running only on a 3000.

Actually, the "You shouldn't be here" was commenting on how the game, literally, shouldn't be there.

edit: beaten :lol

mollipen

Fantasy Final said:
Glad Japan is on my side with this DD market. I want my games on physical media dammit!

How about, I don't know, putting them on BOTH?

More and more Japan just pisses me off with their anti-digital stance in a lot of things (not just video games). It makes it hard for me to feel bad when they cry about piracy yet they're against giving their legitimate consumers more options for purchasing content.

Top Bottom