• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ico/Shadow of the Colossus Collection: Trailer and Screens - Spring 2011

Khronikos

Banned
I can wait. What I am curious about is the fact that Beyond Good and Evil is 1080p 60fps. What in the world is stopping them from making all these PS collections at this level. That game was certainly not an easy game back in the day! Is it the fact that the assets are not anywhere near that and it will look too sharp for the low res assets thereby hurting the overall look? I can see Ico running in 1080p might destroy some of its charm but I am not sure what to think. Sly Cooper surely could have used some extra AA or something no? I am just wondering what goes into these ports as there is never an interview or anything really that tells us a damn thing as to how these things are made.

DMeisterJ

Banned
hey_it's_that_dog said:
GOW Collection took something like 8 months to port. Doesn't make sense for this collection to be delayed by 8 months after being in development for many months already. Could it be that much more complicated than the GOWs?

If they're artificially pushing it to precede the release of TLG more closely... well fuck that.
GoW Collection took 15 weeks, actually.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
alr1ghtstart said:
I hope they don't sit on it until it's close to TLG's release date.
Wouldn't that be a good thing? Time it so that after finishing, people want more

Both of those retailers just list it as a December 31st title. That's usually just a generic date that's given to games that retailers don't know the date for.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Oni Jazar said:
GoW was coded with standard libraries that were super easy to port up. I'm sure Ico and SOTC were coded to the metal.

And yet Ico is a quarter of the resolution of GOW and SotC runs at a third of the framerate. :p

But yeah, there were a lot of fortunate factors that made the GOW ports go smoothly that are absent in the current process.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Oni Jazar said:
GoW was coded with standard libraries that were super easy to port up.
Erm, no.

Games specifics aside, throughout PS2s lifetime there was never really any such thing as "standard" libraries - even the simple things like File I/O or Audio playback had at least 4-5 different "standard" APIs... (and many more custom ones).

daffy

Banned
boredofcanada said:
amazon had march 22 up until a few days ago. now its december 31st.
That's a placeholder date. Other retailers will still tell you around April, and some won't.
Amazon reverts back to that when they aren't given recent release date confirmation.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Bundle with TLG...? Nah

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Fafalada said:
Erm, no.

Games specifics aside, throughout PS2s lifetime there was never really any such thing as "standard" libraries - even the simple things like File I/O or Audio playback had at least 4-5 different "standard" APIs... (and many more custom ones).

Even if he's wrong about that, IIRC the GOW code was very well documented/commented and BluePoint were able to consult with the original author(s). It's unclear whether that's the case for the Team Ico project.

Ueda recently said they were doing the opening scene from Ico and some other stuff from the games (like some textures, if that comparison from the previous page is anything to go by). They're putting a lot more work into this port than God of War or Sly.

He also aid he'd like to get a demo for the Last Guardian onto the Collection disc, if he could.

I could totally see those two things causing the game to get delayed. Probably only til summer, but it's still a delay.

illadelph

I'm really digging these PS3 collections because I've never played any of the games. God of War, Sly Cooper, and now Ico/SotC. I'm gettin my money's worth over here.

brb

I have only played a little bit of each game so I am getting this game as if it were a brand new experience for me.

With my 55" 3DTV...
My body, it is ready.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
hey_it's_that_dog said:
It's unclear whether that's the case for the Team Ico project.
Not disagreeing with that - Japanese studios also have a history of not taking very good care of old codebases/archives. ICO also predates some tools like VU optimizers, so there's possibly hand-optimized only asm code there that can be quite painful to read.

But there are no deeprooted "metal-coding" issues that wouldn't apply essentially to every PS2 game out there. While most codebases had a PC version you could work from for the basic functionality(likely very unoptimized), chances are that most also contain PS2 specific codepaths(effects etc.) that were never implemented anywhere else, and those boil down to a mixture of machine code for GPU and dependencies on very-specific hardware behavior of PS2 Floating point units, DMA, and rasterizer.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Khronikos said:
I can wait. What I am curious about is the fact that Beyond Good and Evil is 1080p 60fps. What in the world is stopping them from making all these PS collections at this level. That game was certainly not an easy game back in the day! Is it the fact that the assets are not anywhere near that and it will look too sharp for the low res assets thereby hurting the overall look? I can see Ico running in 1080p might destroy some of its charm but I am not sure what to think. Sly Cooper surely could have used some extra AA or something no? I am just wondering what goes into these ports as there is never an interview or anything really that tells us a damn thing as to how these things are made.
Ico and SotC were a lot more demanding visually then BG&E. So much so that to get Ico to run at a fairly stable 30FPS, they had to render it in 512x240 on PS2. SotC could barely keep the framerate at 20 at times. Lots of fillrate eating effects in both games. Also, pretty sure BG&E remake is 720p 60fps, not 1080p?

On a more positive note, both Ico and SotC look great in 720p and 1080p in the emulator. Art holds up incredibly well, aside for some low res textured rooms and objects in Ico, which they are redoing for this remake.

overcast

legacyzero said:
Never played them? OMG this should be your number 1 hype for at least Q1 of 2011.
Oh believe me, I'm hyped. I was pretty young when these games came out, but I realize that is no excuse.

qualia

Neo Member
Considering buying a PS3 just for this, TLG when it comes out, and MGS4/5/whatever. and maybe Uncharted 2.

overcast said:
Oh believe me, I'm hyped. I was pretty young when these games came out, but I realize that is no excuse.

I actually rented ICO when it came out, on new years eve none the less. Although my impressions boiled down to "..this is shit" and I think i ended up trading it for Legends of Wrestling.

I was 15 though. Now these are the types of games that I pray for.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Durante said:
I'm very LTTP, but I just saw this shot in the OP:
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4106/4994602463_b59d0a6378_b.jpg

And remebered this one I took from PCSX2 years ago:
http://www.abload.de/img/pcsx2-beta-1190-2009-06mos.jpg

THought it makes for an interesting comparison.
Not sure what to think... looks like the remake version at that point was missing the full screen 'hdr blur' for the lack of better term, that the game originally had and that can be seen in the emulated screen. I do know that they have managed to keep the wonderful outdoors fog effect that the emulator is completely omitting.
*edit* new video seems to show that the full screen blur is back, I think, or it just could be a poor focus on their camera.

Also, there's shadow from the torch missing in the emulated screen, not sure if the original had realitime shadowing for the torch at all.

qualia said:
Considering buying a PS3 just for this, TLG when it comes out, and MGS4/5/whatever. and maybe Uncharted 2.

Forget MGS.

Buy a ps3 now, play Demon's Souls, Uncharted (both) and Wipeout HD Fury (and Gow3, kz2-3, heavy rain, etc).

TLG looks like a 2012 title, I'm afraid.

By the time you'll be nearly done with those games, the collection will be there. xD

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
hey_it's_that_dog said:
Even if he's wrong about that, IIRC the GOW code was very well documented/commented and BluePoint were able to consult with the original author(s). It's unclear whether that's the case for the Team Ico project.

He wasn't wrong, per-se. GoW and GoW2 were written in C, which is why it was relatively easy to port.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
FTH said:
Ugghh, what the fuck. They could at least tell the public the moment they decide these things. All these poor people anticipating a Spring release..

Well this definitely means LG is delayed.
2012! Yup, haha.

:(

overcast

Lion Heart said:
I actually rented ICO when it came out, on new years eve none the less. Although my impressions boiled down to "..this is shit" and I think i ended up trading it for Legends of Wrestling.

I was 15 though. Now these are the types of games that I pray for.
Yeah, I was 11 when shadow of the colossus came out. No way would I have enjoyed it back then.

Those vids are nice.

I can't wait to replay everything in 3D; ICO and SotC are the only two ps2 games that I couldn't live without.

And they're probably the only two worth replaying, for me.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
metareferential said:
Those vids are nice.

I can't wait to replay everything in 3D; ICO and SotC are the only two ps2 games that I couldn't live without.

And they're probably the only two worth replaying, for me.

'In Japan at least', I think those were his words.

Khronikos

Banned
Hmm, it appears BGaE is 720p native I have no idea why so many sites were claiming 1080p. Anyway, I wish all of these remakes were 1080p though I guess it doesn't make a huge difference if the assets were not that high res. Still, it does help with clarity or does it not matter since it wasn't native to begin with? Does anybody think that 1080p is sometimes too high of a res for these games, where the world comes across looking too blocky? Especially for a game like Ico which was really low res I am not sure 1080p would look all that great but who I am to say. It's nice to have all these remakes but something still says I wish the PS3 had a better GPU.

neos

Since i've never played Shadow Of The Colossus, i have no excuses for not going day 1.

Ah, worst trailer of the year contendant.

aerts1js

If it's not coming out until next holiday why don't they add some new colossi to SOTC? They already have concepts of them.

Top Bottom