• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nintendo 3DS Hardware Info (Conference At 10 PST/1 EST Today)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Koren

wrowa said:
Wii's launch price in the US: 250$
Wii's launch price in Europe: 250€

We are used to that kind of rip-off, we aren't even complaining anymore.
250€ is VAT included. It's around $210 excuding VAT, which is not so far from $250.

The small diffence can partly be justified by more complex distribution (more countries, languages, etc.)

Rip-off seems quite a strong word to me.

(thus, if it's 200€ in Europe, it's ~$235 VAT excluded, probably $229 or even rounded to $199)

KAL2006

Banned
wrowa said:

wait a minute so in the US Wii was $250 and it was 250 euros in europe, and £180 in the UK.

So that could mean
Europe 3DS - 200 euros
US 3DS - $200
UK 3DS - £150

£150 would be a great price in the UK, the price for a DS XL is currently £140, and a DSi is £115

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
KAL2006 said:
I find it hard to believe both Nintendogs and Mario Kart will be launch titles. Both of those games are some of DS's best ever selling games on the handheld, it would be strange to launch 2 of the best selling franchises at launch, it would be a better idea to save one of the games for a sales boost for another time of the 3DS's life.
Nintendo knows how important it is to build a strong library in a system's first months. They said it explicitly before launching the Wii.
So, it's pretty likely they'll launch their heavy hitters as soon as possible. But possibly not at the same time, doing so would be silly as they would compete with each other for the buyers' money. Them being evergreen software wouldn't help much.

C.T. said:
I heard alising isn't as noticable in 3d mode by the way our eyes work. can someone elaborate?
It's because two different pictures, being framed at different angles, will hardly have the exact same jaggies. So, they'll be likely to blend together a bit, thus reducing the perceived aliasing. At least in theory.

DonMigs85

KAL2006 said:
wait a minute so in the US Wii was $250 and it was 250 euros in europe, and £180 in the UK.

So that could mean
Europe 3DS - 200 euros
US 3DS - $200
UK 3DS - £150

£150 would be a great price in the UK, the price for a DS XL is currently £140, and a DSi is £115
Just £10 more than an XL? Highly unlikely. £180 maybe.

Wichu

C.T. said:
I heard alising isn't as noticable in 3d mode by the way our eyes work. can someone elaborate?
The image in each eye will be aliased differently (unless the edge is on the plane of the actual screen). The brain takes each image and combines them, with the added benefit of effectively anti-aliasing it.

For example:
__
#
#
#
#

becomes:

__
#
_
__
#
_
_##_
_
#
__

Fake edit: beaten

KAL2006

Banned
DonMigs85 said:
Just £10 more than an XL? Highly unlikely. £180 maybe.
Mt Heart Attack said:
British pound is not what it was in 2006.

Damn I forgot that the pound was strong back in 2006. Maybe £169.99, seems like a suitable price, thats £30 more than a DS XL, which I assume will drop down lower in price by Q1 2011 (the time 3DS launched in the UK).

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I hope the AU price isn't too steep.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
ajvizzgamer101 said:
Why 1.5GB, why not 2GB?
It is extremely likely to be 2 GB, with 512 MB reserved for firmware/channels/more stuff we're not aware of, a bit like only half of the Wii's 512 MB are actually available to the user.
The 3DS CTR Target Board had a 2 GB Samsung chip, after all.

Portugeezer

Gold Member
wrowa said:

Ditto. The prices have never matched up, this won't be any different.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
sinxtanx said:
It's called VAT and it turns Euros into Dollars almost 1:1

Thanks--I figured I was missing some sort of tax or other conversion factor.

Neo C.

200 USD = around 16'874 Yen.

Has anyone predicted a 3DS for 16'900 Yen or less? Or do you guys still hope for 1 USD = 100 yen?

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Neo C. said:
200 USD = around 16'874 Yen.

Has anyone predicted a 3DS for 16'900 Yen or less? Or do you guys still hope for 1 USD = 100 yen?
I wouldnt expect anything less than 20.000 Yen.
Its the new DS, its Japan. Even the new MH PSP costs 20.000 Yen i think.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
VOOK said:
My tip is $299. Thoughts?

That would be a great price, but the DSi/XL will need to drop before I'd believe it. I'm far too cynical about Aussie prices to be overly optimistic, so if its $299 I'll be stoked.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Technosteve said:
My grandpa told me the 3DS will cost three payments of 69.99 zenny

My tip isn't just a pure guess of make believe currency. >_>

EatChildren said:
That would be a great price, but the DSi/XL will need to drop before I'd believe it. I'm far too cynical about Aussie prices to be overly optimistic, so if its $299 I'll be stoked.

The XL has dropped everywhere else, we're one drop behind. So it should be a matter of time.

Portugeezer

Gold Member
cw_sasuke said:
Sunday issue of the german newspaper BILD says its launchin Nov 11th in Japan. And Q1 next year in europe with Mario Kart, Zelda OoT, Layton. as launch games. Pricepoint 200€..... hmm...
Too cheap to believe. And OMG Zelda OOT at launch?

Ah well, I hope that is true.

C.T.

Jocchan said:
It's because two different pictures, being framed at different angles, will hardly have the exact same jaggies. So, they'll be likely to blend together a bit, thus reducing the perceived aliasing. At least in theory.

Thx, I guess that makes sense.

KAL2006 said:
I find it hard to believe both Nintendogs and Mario Kart will be launch titles. Both of those games are some of DS's best ever selling games on the handheld, it would be strange to launch 2 of the best selling franchises at launch, it would be a better idea to save one of the games for a sales boost for another time of the 3DS's life.

These are the types of games that just keep on selling and selling and selling. Putting them out as quick as possible seems like a good idea.

cw_sasuke

Stumpokapow said:
well that's it cw_sasuke, go big or go home, let's hope your sketchy german leak turns out true :p
I just stated what the article says, dont shoot the messenger ... but erm ok.... ;-)

Shiggy

cw_sasuke said:
Sunday issue of the german newspaper BILD says its launchin Nov 11th in Japan. And Q1 next year in europe with Mario Kart, Zelda OoT, Layton. as launch games. Pricepoint 200€..... hmm...

While the BILD isn't really reliable normally, it is when it comes to Nintendo stuff. In fact, I remember the Wii Remote announcement in 2005 - they were one of the few newspapers that got some information beforehand to report about it immediately after the real announcement.
(Actually, the week/day before the TGS revealation, there was someone on a German message board who gave pretty concrete hints at what the Wii controller would be)

KAL2006

Banned
Does anyone think Nintendo will bundle a game with 3DS, like they did with Wii + Wii Sports.

It would be cool if the 3DS had multiple types of bundles
3DS + Nintendogs and Cats - targeted for kids and females
3DS+ Kid Icarus - targeted for a typical gamer

Also will there be any Mario games for 3DS launch, if not I could see Nintendo releasing an old Mario classic for 3DS Virtual Console (which has yet to be announced) for launch.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
€200 and Q1 would be nice.

Region free and <€250 to import this year would be even nicer. Although I know that ain't gonna happen :\

cw_sasuke said:
I just stated what the article says, dont shoot the messenger ... but erm ok.... ;-)
i think you just need to be right about what the paper says. if the paper is wrong, you aren't going to get banned for that.

wsippel

Banned
Shiggy said:
While the BILD isn't really reliable normally, it is when it comes to Nintendo stuff. In fact, I remember about the Wii Remote announcement in 2006 - they were one of the few newspapers that got some information beforehand.
Well, Bild is the best selling and probably the most influential newspaper in Europe, even if it's basically the German equivalent to The Sun - which, by the way, is the second best selling newspaper in Europe.

Thoraxes

For the US launch it's gonna go one of three ways.

#1) We got both the Wii and DS before Japan did, hence we'll get it right around or before they do. November release.

#2) DS is still selling like hotcakes in America. Why release it when you could milk the momentum for just one more holiday season? Early 2011 release.

#3) It'll just come out early December/November as that's when the Wii and DS both launched, give or take.

Shiggy

wsippel said:
Well, Bild is the best selling and probably the most influential newspaper in Europe, even if it's basically the German equivalent to The Sun - which, by the way, is the second best selling newspaper in Europe.

Right, and as they were informed about the Nintendo Revolution controller two days before the TGS announcement, I think it's likely that Nintendo informed them again a little bit earlier :)

11/11/10 for Japan seems a bit soon, not even a month and a half to push the launch games. The system sure doesn't need much to be pushed and its features are known already (its the next DS, it has 3D, it has an analog and lots of industry support) but the games are still very unknown.

European date and price boo, both expected but still sucks, going by OP specs it shouldn't cost more than 149€ stand-alone, of course its value is much higher than its actual assembling cost.

VOOK

Nintendo's been doing the drop and run thing as of late, a month while short.... wouldn't be tooooo crazy.

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
11/11/10 for Japan seems a bit soon, not even a month and a half to push the launch games. The system sure doesn't need much to be pushed and its features are known already (its the next DS, it has 3D, it has an analog and lots of industry support) but the games are still very unknown.

European date and price boo, both expected but still sucks, going by OP specs it shouldn't cost more than 149€ stand-alone, of course its value is much higher than its actual assembling cost.
don't forget the r+d costs. i'm sure a lot of internal prototyping was done to figure out what 3D can and can't do in a handheld.

it's not just about the components of a system but how much r+d you had to do. if this hadn't had 3D it's r+d costs would have been much less.

and yeah, naturally it's not about the components at all. people are going to look at this and go 'wow', plus you've got to consider where it prices next to the current handhelds. by your metric i'm sure the ds light, dsi and dsi xl should all already be cheaper than they are, but clearly they're still selling well enough.

Disguises

VOOK said:
Nintendo's been doing the drop and run thing as of late, a month while short.... wouldn't be tooooo crazy.
You're crazy! Haha. It would fill in some gaps for christmas though - I mean, Nintendo haven't got the most stellar line-up for the holiday season have they? :/

cw_sasuke

Kurosaki Ichigo said:

You expected it to cost the same as the PSP ?

VOOK

Disguises said:
You're crazy! Haha. It would fill in some gaps for christmas though - I mean, Nintendo haven't got the most stellar line-up for the holiday season have they? :/

Bingo!

plagiarize said:
don't forget the r+d costs. i'm sure a lot of internal prototyping was done to figure out what 3D can and can't do in a handheld.

it's not just about the components of a system but how much r+d you had to do. if this hadn't had 3D it's r+d costs would have been much less.

and yeah, naturally it's not about the components at all. people are going to look at this and go 'wow', plus you've got to consider where it prices next to the current handhelds. by your metric i'm sure the ds light, dsi and dsi xl should all already be cheaper than they are, but clearly they're still selling well enough.
They are all offenders but when I say 149€ I don't mean 'this cheap stuff should go this cheap' but what would be an actual conversion of 200$, which is an assumable price point taking into account everything. In the end its been looking like 19800Y, 199$ and 199€ all along but "Q1 2011 launch in Europe at 199€" would be the most overpriced one. I'd take a worldwide launch with that rape, or a lesser rape given a later release, but in the end Europe is probably getting the middle finger in price and date, as usual yes.

cw_sasuke said:
You expected it to cost the same as the PSP ?
No I don't, but if you go by other markets pricing and the systems specs it shouldn't be what it is. When I say expected date and price I'm including myself in such expectations.

VOOK said:
Someone who has told me stuff before and doesn't bullshit. Told to come is what I was told.

It would be incredibly bizarre for EU media to be invited but not US media, unless 3DS is launching this year in Europe and Japan but not the US... which would actually be even more bizarre.

Boney

Banned
Maybe Europe is invited because America is holding an event as well? (they'd be invited to the american one then though..)

I WANT TO BELIEVE!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom