• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo's 121st. From playing cards to world domination.

An underdog story.

500x_cardssign.jpg

Founded September 23rd, 1889, Nintendo is celebrating its 121st Birthday today. Yamauchi has, of course, been around just a few years longer, having been spawned by a demon in 1859.
2qn8sc2.jpg

Tarin02543

Apparantly the founder is buried in a cellar in the original Nintendo headquarters. The true Demon Souls starts there.

jman2050

It's too bad Yamauchi is spending too much time nickle-and-diming the Mariners to pay much attention to Nintendo nowadays.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
jman2050 said:
It's too bad Yamauchi is spending too much time nickle-and-diming the Mariners to pay much attention to Nintendo nowadays.
Seems to be working out okay for Nintendo.

Maybe Iwata will work on the Mariners next after he's done with the Big N.

Penguin

Girl doesn't look a day over 100!

But congrats. Though they should start producing those cards on the side again.

Pureauthor said:
Should have held that conference today.

Yes, I was thinking that - it would have been a nice touch to have the full unveiling of the 3DS on the company's birthday.

Jocchan said:
Possibly in a love hotel room.

Heh. Might have got a few more media folks onside... ;-)

shuri

Banned
jman2050 said:
Yamauchi can assume several forms and be at several places at the same time. Do not underestimate his powers. It is also widely believe in industry circles that Yamauchi's dna is inserted into each new Nintendo executive, by force if they have to.

Celine

Yamauchi motto was something like "It's better be capable to survive to your own failures than hit success at first try".

<3 Hiroshi.

Bentendo

I think you're over exaggerating when you say they've taken over the world. That obviously hasn't happened.

yet

Busaiku

shuri said:
Yamauchi can assume several forms and be at several places at the same time. Do not underestimate his powers. It is also widely believe in industry circles that Yamauchi's dna is inserted into each new Nintendo executive, by force if they have to.
Satoru Iwata is just one of the many attempted clones.

MaddenNFL64

Happy B-day, you old bastard company :).

And ya, Yamauchi sucks as a baseball owner. Spend some cash, Ichiro is bored with losing.

apana

Yamauchi will one day return as Mecha Yamauchi, anyways respect for building such an awesome company. I get the feeling he was behind the wii and ds, even though Iwata gets all the credit.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Busaiku said:
Satoru Iwata is just one of the many attempted clones.

Is a clone really a clone when it's an improvement over the original in almost every conceivable way?

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
What's all this Yamauchi talk? Yokoi is the guy responsible for making the company we know today.

Diablos

For a company that has had its fair share of ups and downs it's amazing that they've lasted this long, and are once again at the top of the world.

swerve

Shig said:
What's all this Yamauchi talk? Yokoi is the guy responsible for making the company we know today.

It's a team effort. I mean, who hired Yokoi?

Yamauchi has also just financed an entire wing of the hospital near his house a few years back (finished this year I think), with the biggest ever charitable donation in Japanese history. I don't think he does much with the Mariners really, isn't that all Howard Lincoln?

1GabUp

When you think that 80% of companies have a 20 years lifespan, Nintendo's situation is really exceptionnal.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
El Sloth said:
Failed clone, went rogue, approved the Wii, etc. etc.

Fusajiro Yamauchi (&#23665;&#20869; &#25151;&#27835;&#37070; Yamauchi Fusajir&#333;, November 22, 1859 – January 1940) was a Japanese entrepreneur who founded the company that is now known as Nintendo Company Limited. Yamauchi lived in Kyoto, Japan and had a daughter, Tei Yamauchi (who later married future Nintendo president and Fusajiro Yamauchi's successor, Sekiryo Kaneda). Fusajiro has been somehow related to every president of Nintendo except the most recent, Satoru Iwata (who took over for Hiroshi Yamauchi, Fusajiro Yamauchi's great-grandson).

Iwata broke the bloodline.

wrowa

When people are talking today about Yamauchi he is always represented as somekind of a tyrann who was feared by all of his employees. I think it's pretty funny that he was actually pretty liberal-minded compared to the heads of other Japanese companies of the time when he became the president of Nintendo.

"At Nintendo, unlike many of its counterparts, there was neither a company hymn nor specific regulations. Why was that? Merely because regulations hinder creativity and people get easily tired of constraints.I wanted my staff to feel free"

He still fired everyone who was against him, though :lol

(At this point, I just have to say that anyone who is interested in the early history of Nintendo should take a look at Pix'n Love's History of Nintendo 1889 - 1980. It's such a great book)

Tathanen said:
http://japanese-games-shop.com/napoleon.html

Pretty sure they continue to make sets beyond even this, still. It's a very small output these days, but they've never stopped producing them.
Between Wii and DS they have also until today a card section on their Japanese site.
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n09/index.html

Tarin02543 said:
Apparantly the founder is buried in a cellar in the original Nintendo headquarters. The true Demon Souls starts there.

this, he appears on NG+++

Forkball said:
Card game players are depressed gamers who like to sit alone in their dark rooms and play slow games.

and thus the legend was born.

apana

Forkball said:
Card game players are depressed gamers who like to sit alone in their dark rooms and play slow games.

Oh yeah I forgot about that quote, does anyone know how people reacted when he basically said gamers who play RPGs are depressed losers? I wonder what caused him to say this.

Top Bottom