• TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

miladesn
(09-27-2010, 01:54 PM)
EDGE
From an interview on latest issue of EDGE
On EA

Activision CEO thinks studio autonomy is essential to successful publishing, and that EA has failed to realise this.

Activision Blizzard CEO, Bobby Kotick, believes that the publisher's success is due to allowing studios to retain their autonomy and personalities, rather than creating internal studios like EA. Speaking during an exclusive interview in issue 220 of Edge (available from UK newsagents tomorrow), Kotick says that EA is struggling to attract the best people due to unattractive working practices.

"The core principle of how we run the company is the exact opposite of EA," he says. "EA will buy a developer and then it will become ĎEA Floridaí, ĎEA Vancouverí, ĎEA New Jerseyí, whatever. We always looked and said, 'You know what? What we like about a developer is that they have a culture, they have an independent vision and thatís what makes them so successful.' We donít have an Activision anything - itís Treyarch, Infinity Ward, Sledgehammer.

"That, to me, is one of the unassailable rules of building a publishing company. And in every case except for two, the original founders of the studios are still running the studios today. The only thing that we try to do is to provide a support structure to make them more successful. If you do a really good job - and a lot of our studios do - you get to pick what is, in my view, the most difficult thing to pick in the industry: to make original intellectual property."

Asked whether he thought that allowing so much autonomy resulted in additional risk, Kotick feels that Activision is confident in the abilities of its studios and that the strategy poses no risk at all.

"Virtually all of our studio heads are serious, responsible people," he explains. "They want to make great games, they want to do it the right way, and I think one of the benefits we have [with] being a big company is that we donít have the same pressures of, 'Oh, we have to have it out for this particular quarter.' Thereís not a studio at this company that will tell you: 'Activision is forcing us to get the game out.'

"We get in business with people who are responsible, theyíre creative, they want to make great games. The incentive schemes that weíve devised all reward success. But thereís not anything that is a 'Hey, you have to get the game out on Thursday.'"

Though EA is coming round to Activision's approach with its 'city state' structure, Kotick believes that the publisher is underestimating its ability to change.

"The thing is, it doesnít work that way - you canít be a floor wax and then decide that youíre going to become a dessert topping," he says. "That doesnít work, itís your DNA. [EAís] DNA isnít oriented towards that model - it doesnít know how to do it, as a culture or as a company, and it never has... Look, EA has a lot of resources, itís a big company thatís been in business for a long time, maybe itíll figure it out eventually. But itís been struggling for a really long time. The most difficult challenge it faces today is: great people donít really want to work there.

"Itís like, if you have no other option, you might consider them. They have someÖ the team that makes Madden is a really great team, itís been able to manage, capture and keep some good people. But we have no shortage of opportunity to recruit out of EA Ė thatís their biggest challenge: its stock options have no value. Itís lost its way. And until it has success, and hits, and gets that enthusiasm back for the company, itís going to have a struggle getting really talented people, which is going to translate into less-than-great games."

On Respawn

CVG

Activision boss, Bobby Kotick has claimed that fired Infinity Ward founders, Jason West and Vince Zampella will "have a really hard time ever being productive or successful ever again."

That's what he told Edge magazine in its latest issue, which includes a massive exclusive interview with the outspoken Activision head.

In it, Kotick spreads light on the bitter departure of the ex-Infinity Ward bosses - who've now formed a studio with EA - telling the mag he feels "betrayed".

"It shook my belief in two specific people, who were my friends," he said. "The frustrating thing about that is, the stuff that these guys did, I never would have expected them to do. We're a public company, we've got ethics obligations, and the things they did were... I would go to jail if I did them.

"You can't use the company and the company's assets for your own personal benefit, and you can't use the leverage that you might have for personal benefit - you're not allowed to do that! And so we didn't have any choice."

Kotick said Activision "knew what the consequences would be," when West and Zampella departed, because most of the core Infinity Ward staff were all close friends.

"When we bought the company, they were 20 or 30 guys - these were guys that shared vacation homes together, they were all best friends, they were at each other's weddings. We knew that when we had to fire Jason and Vince we were going to lose a lot of really talented people," Kotick added.

"That's one of those really difficult decisions as the CEO of a company, where you step back and say, 'No good is going to come of this. They're going to leave and probably have a really hard time ever being productive or successful ever again, and we're going to lose some talented people, and there's nothing we can do about it.' And there wasn't."

Kotick went on to claim he's received "something like 5,000 resumes" for the empty Infinity Ward positions.

Tim Schafer
Eurogamer

"I've never met him in my life Ė I've never had anything to do with him. I never had any involvement in the Vivendi project that they were doing, BrŁtal Legend, other than I was in one meeting where the guys looked at it and said, 'He's late, he's missed every milestone, he's overspent the budget and it doesn't seem like a good game. We're going to cancel it.'

"And do you know what? That seemed like a sensible thing to do. And it turns out, he was late, he missed every milestone, the game was not a particularly good game..."

Kotick also insisted his infamous "taking the fun out of videogame development" quote was just a quip.

"That was a joke! The fact that there are people Ė and it's a small vocal minority Ė that actually think that I meant it... How do you combat that?"

He added: "This is my dream job. I've been playing games since I was 18 years old. I could have bought any company, but I bought a bankrupt game company, and I've been doing it for 21 years. This idea that I'm not passionate about videogames is ludicrous. But you say something and it gets taken out of context."

More from this interview here,

Activision CEO Bobby Kotick impressed by Kinect and Move, but reveals the publisher is working on new bespoke peripherals.

BeeDog
(09-27-2010, 01:55 PM)
KOTICK, JUST SHUT THE FUCK UP ALREADY
schick85
(09-27-2010, 01:56 PM)
Autonomy my ass.
Gouty
Bloodborne is shit
(09-27-2010, 01:56 PM)
Dude has some nerve to mention respecting developer culture.
MutFox
Banned
(09-27-2010, 01:57 PM)
Really? REALLY!?!
h3ro
:lol

"Pot, meet my friend, Kettle."
Cosmonaut X
Seriously? After the (ongoing) shitstorm with IW, he comes out with this?

I mean, his criticisms of EA are pretty well-founded, but this does look like a case of Mr Pot laying into Mr Kettle...
f0rk
What was the last good original IP published by Activision?
Pureauthor
At this point he's pretty much just trolling. :lol
Fersis
It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
DICE : (Laughs)
Azure Dream
Bobby Kotick, Friend to Develophhhhh-BAHAHAHAHAHA!
mclem
"Why suffocate, when you can cut off their heads?"
SolidSnakex
(09-27-2010, 01:58 PM)
There's a lot more there going by other sites. He apparently goes off on Schafer about the whole Brutal Legend issue and Vince and Jason for screwing him over.
V_Ben
Banned
Pot, meet Kettle.
Sho_Nuff82
So, does Neversoft have a choice in making annual Guitar Hero games? Can Treyarch employees decide tomorrow that they're not working on odd-numbered Call of Duty games any longer? Didn't they try to strong-arm Schaefer into making Brutal Legend a rhythm game? Weren't the heads of Infinity Ward sacked for insubordination, with the claim that they were actively trying to work for EA?

I don't think this man understands what autonomy means.
Scuba Steve
[IMG]http://i56.************/o22k3.jpg[/IMG]
jufonuk

'You know what? What we like about a developer is that they have a culture, they have an independent vision and thatís what makes them so successful.' We donít have an Activision anything - itís Treyarch, Infinity Ward, Sledgehammer."

lol ok Kotick, if you say so!
V_Ben
Banned
(09-27-2010, 01:59 PM)

Originally Posted by SolidSnakex

There's a lot more there going by other sites. He apparently goes off on Schafer and Vince and Jason for screwing him over.

Wow, I have to see those comments. Got a link?
Galvanise_
Banned

There's a lot more there going by other sites. He apparently goes off on Schafer about the whole Brutal Legend issue and Vince and Jason for screwing him over.

Yeah, he said that Activision have 'ethics' and that if he did what Vince and Jason did he'd be in Jail etc.
Ninja Kn1ght
Sure, even he doesn't believe this shit? Sad thing is, a lot of investors who don't know any better will probably believe him.
Zaptruder
Banned
The words are nice, but the application... not so good!
SolidSnakex
(09-27-2010, 02:00 PM)

Originally Posted by V_Ben

Wow, I have to see those comments. Got a link?

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...ayed-me-kotick
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...ff-tim-schafer
Fersis
It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Kotick is the Astrolad of the games industry.

<3 Astrolad <3
subversus
I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap

well, he hit the spot about Schafer.
Pinko Marx
Banned
If irony were made of strawberries, we'd all be drinking a boatload of daiquiris.
Galvanise_
Banned
(09-27-2010, 02:02 PM)
He mentions that Infinity Ward, Treyarch and Sledgehammer aren't suffocated because they have their own names and development culture. . . .but he forgets that his company has bitchslapped them into developing COD titles.

He also forgets that EA's new IP have been interesting and diverse. Dead Space, Dante's inferno, Mirrors Edge etc and the EA sports range has improved.
zerokoolpsx
(09-27-2010, 02:02 PM)
Kotick giving advice. Laughable.

Originally Posted by Galvanise_

He mentions that Infinity Ward, Treyarch and Sledgehammer aren't suffocated because they have their own names and development culture. . . .but he forgets that his company has bitchslapped them into developing COD titles.

More like pigeonholed. I wonder, do they get bored of making fps yet? That franchise alone makes them billions.
markot
Banned
(09-27-2010, 02:04 PM)
>_< So... he is lucky it doesnt take sense to make it in the business world.
SolidSnakex
(09-27-2010, 02:05 PM)

Yeah, before they were fired, Vince and Jason mentioned all the shit that they had to go through with Activision and CoD. They didn't want to make CoD2 a WW2 game but Activision wanted them to. But IW wanted to make console games also so in order to do that they decided to make CoD2 a WW2 game which allowed them to develop on consoles. They also had to fight to make Modern Warfare because Activision had done research that told them that gamers didn't want a modern shooter.
TheRagnCajun
He seems butthurt about something..
Novella
Banned
Make sure to make more threads if Bobby Kotick says more things.
Pinko Marx
Banned

Originally Posted by markot

>_< So... he is lucky it doesnt take sense to make it in the business world.

Kotick has ton of sense. What hes lacking is compassion.
Eccocid
I love Kotick! He is the Amhedinejad of gaming! Both doensnt make any sense
Haunted
(09-27-2010, 02:06 PM)
Blurb in the thread title is correct (although he is lying about their own practices - Activision is even worse in that regard), but that's why EA has their brilliant Partners program set up.

Dave DeMartini :bow
rvy
Banned
(09-27-2010, 02:08 PM)
:lol :lol :lol :lol

Why won't you shut up. Just, please, shut up.
Urban Scholar
(09-27-2010, 02:08 PM)
"The most difficult challenge it faces today is: great people donít really want to work there. "

Honestly games like Locke's Quest & Henry Hatsworth leads me to be believe otherwise in response to the aforementioned quote.
szaromir
Banned
(09-27-2010, 02:09 PM)

He also forgets that EA's new IP have been interesting and diverse. Dead Space, Dante's inferno, Mirrors Edge etc and the EA sports range has improved.

Now you should add Raven to that list as well, also involved in COD.
Segata Sanshiro
(09-27-2010, 02:10 PM)

Originally Posted by Urban Scholar

"The most difficult challenge it faces today is: great people donít really want to work there. "

Honestly games like Locke's Quest & Henry Hatsworth leads me to be believe otherwise in response to the aforementioned quote.

Uh... Lock's Quest is developed by 5th Cell and published by THQ, and the Henry Hatsworth team left EA after finishing that game.
ShinobiFist
Banned
(09-27-2010, 02:11 PM)
The man has a point. But, he forgot about the "EA partners" program EA has going for them.
Bending_Unit_22
(09-27-2010, 02:11 PM)

Originally Posted by mclem

Hey some like to be bloodless. Why does everything have to be bloody? Yeah yeah, joy and sustenance and whatever.
Busty
when Jesus ain't watching Kinect will watch over you
(09-27-2010, 02:14 PM)

In it, Kotick spreads light on the bitter departure of the ex-Infinity Ward bosses - who've now formed a studio with EA - telling the mag he feels "betrayed".

Betrayed? Pfft. I will eat my fucking hat and the coat that came with it if Kotick knew either of their names before this shit blew up.
1-D_FTW
(09-27-2010, 02:15 PM)
BloodySinner
Banned
(09-27-2010, 02:16 PM)
markot
Banned
(09-27-2010, 02:16 PM)
Do great people want to work at Activision?

I mean, IW was gutted, the GH devs arent around anymore are they? I bet even blizz keeps some garlic around for when Kotick is about.
Urban Scholar
(09-27-2010, 02:17 PM)

Originally Posted by Segata Sanshiro

Uh... Lock's Quest is developed by 5th Cell and published by THQ, and the Henry Hatsworth team left EA after finishing that game.

Hmm, I stand corrected then good sir.
Rated-Rsuperstar
(09-27-2010, 02:17 PM)

Kotick went on to claim he's received "something like 5,000 resumes" for the empty Infinity Ward positions.

You can walk into any business that's hiring in this economy and they'll tell you they've received hundreds of applications.
Baller, PhD
Banned
(09-27-2010, 02:18 PM)

Originally Posted by BeeDog

KOTICK, JUST SHUT THE FUCK UP ALREADY

Originally Posted by mclem

Originally Posted by MutFox

Really? REALLY!?!

Originally Posted by h3ro

:lol

"Pot, meet my friend, Kettle."

These posts some up my feelings nicely. Also, lol @ at him mentioning Treyarch as the new ActiVision frontrunner. What happened to Infinity Ward, anyway? What a tool.
The Bookerman
(09-27-2010, 02:19 PM)
Isn't EA renaming their studios with new and original Names ? Visceral and Danger Close games are exemples of that. Since 2008, EA at least tried to create new brands like Mirror's edge and Dead space. What about Activision. Same shit year after year: Guitar Hero scu's, Tony Hawk, Call of duty, spiderman. That's it. That's all Activision releases.
Interfectum
(09-27-2010, 02:20 PM)

Originally Posted by markot

Do great people want to work at Activision?

Well they have Blizzard and Bungie... and Bungie chose Activision out of everyone to work with.

I know we all love to hate the devil that is Kotick but maybe he has a point.
snoopeasystreet
(09-27-2010, 02:20 PM)
Is Kotick on twitter?

I could imagine that being the best thing ever.