• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Revenge of Captain Badass The Pet Praying Mantis (new mantids inbound)

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaowebb

So today I go outside and I no sooner open my door than I see something pretty rare in WV...a huge freaking praying mantis. She was just hangin on my front door staring at me.
So fast forward 3 hours, and I now have a terrarium with a damned huge praying mantis in it stalking, and killing meal worms and crickets.

Apparently all you gotta do to water them is spray a small amount of water on the sides of the glass, and they lap it up. It's kinda cute when she does that right after destroying the life of some smaller insect.

I named her Captain Badass. Here's a picture.
Picture67.jpg

Who's a cute lil gal! Yoooou are Captain Badass!

So...any ideas of things I should do with this. I'm thinking it's time for some revenge on the fucking flies that get into my house whenever I open the door. Also, does anyone else here have a pretty odd pet?

Mafro

My brother had two of these as pets. I'm sure I remember hearing something about them being the only insect that can turn it's head or something like that, it's pretty creepy how they watch you as you move about the room :lol

They look fucking badass when you feed them, though. The way they stalk their prey, strike, then eat it head-first.

EL Beefo

My brother and I once caught a black widow and kept it in a jar for a month or so, feeding it random insects and stuff. It laid some eggs which we burned (don't want a hundred little black widows around) then eventually our mom made us kill it.

EL Beefo said:
My brother and I once caught a black widow and kept it in a jar for a month or so, feeding it random insects and stuff. It laid some eggs which we burned (don't want a hundred little black widows around) then eventually our mom made us kill it.

This is the worse idea for a pet ever. :lol
Did your mom know about it for a month?

Gaborn

EL Beefo said:

Dude, you're fucking crazy.

Mafro

EL Beefo said:
Good Lord :lol

I don't think I'd be able to sleep in the same house as one, even if it's in a jar.

shaowebb

Its kind of weird...the moment I turn on pokemon music Captain Badass began to bounce a bit. She's not doing it now, but I'll film this if it works again and it turns out to be anything other than coincidence.

Maybe if I play some legendary music...

shaowebb said:
Its kind of weird...the moment I turn on pokemon music Captain Badass began to bounce a bit. She's not doing it now, but I'll film this if it works again and it turns out to be anything other than coincidence.

Teach it some Kung-Fu

shaowebb said:

I think a name change is in order!

scyther.png

this guy

shaowebb said:

Press B before it's too late!!

Rindain

Banned
Awesome, I love praying mantises. Even though one of them cut me pretty badly with its razor talons for trying to move it off a hedge that needed trimming.

EL Beefo

TheDrizzlerJ11 said:
This is the worse idea for a pet ever. :lol
Did your mom know about it for a month?

We caught it outside our apartment during school and kept it in the house, but when we moved back home for the summer my mom made us keep it outside. Oh, and did I mention we didn't have a lid for the jar so I just used some duct-tape with some holes in it.

mm04

The other night, I opened my front door to check for packages and noticed a praying mantis on the light fixture outside my door. I thought, oh cool. Closed the door, went in my office and I felt a fluttering near my ear (probably a moth). I freaked the F out because all I could think about was that praying mantis :lol . I yanked my shirt off and checked it and my hair for a good minute or two afterward.

Found a black widow hanging out on the exterior front door frame yesterday. I almost shit my heart out. Not only am I arachnophobic but it's the first black widow I've seen in person. Not sure how I've went so long without seeing one but I was digging it.

shaowebb

ohhthegore said:
Teach it some Kung-Fu

By a strange coincidence I actually AM a 2nd degree brown in Shaolin-do kung fu. Though I can't remember a damned thing from my mantis class anymore...hmm...for that matter its been so long I should rephrase that to WAS a 2nd degree...
:(

Ah well...who cares.

As for the idea of setting it free, thats a no go. It's about time to frost here in WV and this gal would surely die within a few weeks. Looks like Captain Badass just scored a kickass penthouse suite terrarium for the winter!

dudeworld

shaowebb said:
By a strange coincidence I actually AM a 2nd degree brown in Shaolin-do kung fu. Though I can't remember a damned thing from my mantis class anymore...hmm...for that matter its been so long I should rephrase that to WAS a 2nd degree...
:(

Ah well...who cares.

As for the idea of setting it free, thats a no go. It's about time to frost here in WV and this gal would surely die within a few weeks. Looks like Captain Badass just scored a kickass penthouse suite terrarium for the winter!

Maybe she wanted to die.

apana

I cant ever get along with a pet. Dogs are too energetic, cats are too snobby, and insects are evil. I'm beggining to think that the turtle is man's best friend.

Xeke

Banned
apana said:
I cant ever get along with a pet. Dogs are too energetic, cats are too snobby, and insects are evil. I'm beggining to think that the turtle is man's best friend.

Sounds like you need a pet rock.

I used to have an iguana when I was little. Had 'em for about a year or more. He'd cling on my shirt and I could walk around with him just chillin on my shoulder or chest. One day I was doing this in the patio and he took off. Suckers are so damn fast too. :(

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
I bought 2 mantis egg sacs for my moms garden. There were so many, and now i think there may be only one or two left. I know for certain next year that i plan on keeping a few for myself next year

thefit

EL Beefo said:

I did the same thing cept I didn't destroy the eggs I let them hatch and watched the babies float away like in Charlotte's Web :*(

Sh1ner said:
Can these fuckers fly? they have wings but they seem so damn big....

Yes.

And let me tell you there's nothing more traumatizing then sitting in your buddies backyard, just chilling out, and having one of these motherfuckers jump out of no where and fly directly at you.

Sh1ner

Luscious LeftFoot said:
Yes.

And let me tell you there's nothing more traumatizing then sitting in your buddies backyard, just chilling out, and having one of these motherfuckers jump out of no where and fly directly at you.

FFS we need to nuke every country with one of these in em. I am moving to the south pole.

DonMigs85

Sh1ner said:
FFS we need to nuke every country with one of these in em. I am moving to the south pole.
Nah, they're very clean insects and they aren't venomous or anything. Plus they eat the other bugs we hate more.

Parts

Sh1ner said:
Not a wise idea.

penguin-kill.jpg

So many dangerous creatures on this rock of death we call Earth...

Mekere

Luscious LeftFoot said:
Yes.

And this is exactly why I'm terrified of praying mantis... Youth trauma :/ But yeah, they are really useful insects, I will never kill one but I wont keep one as a pet either :p.

apana said:
turtles are covered in salmonella

elwes

thefit said:
I did the same thing cept I didn't destroy the eggs I let them hatch and watched the babies float away like in Charlotte's Web :*(

Dear god, man. What have you done? WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?

Kletian

A few years back I had one lay it's eggs in one of my bushes.

Nothing cuter than seeing dozens of baby mantises crawling around. Those little things were awesome.

shaowebb

UPDATE:

Picture76.jpg

Called it. The Captain is a girl...and now shes a mom. Captain Badass is in the process of laying what looks to be enough mantis eggs to systematically take over the world. It's kind of an odd foamy substance shooting out of her, and shes been at it about an hour.

Question is...what to do with them. Mantises (manti?) will gleefully cannibalize each other. It's still winter and if they are placed outside they could either
A) freeze
B) be eaten
C) maybe lay dormant and hatch in spring...if there safe enough

If I keep them they could

A) Be eaten by Captain Badass
B) Eat each other THEN be eaten by Captain Badass once they've fattened up
C) Be eaten by Captain Badass while she wears a hockey mask and clicks the theme from Halloween out with her mandibles.

...sigh...what to do. Decisions. Decisions.

Nature all up in this bitch.

Picture77.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom