• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

shaowebb
The Keeper and Holy Guardian of Captain Badass
(10-21-2010, 02:25 AM)
So today I go outside and I no sooner open my door than I see something pretty rare in WV...a huge freaking praying mantis. She was just hangin on my front door staring at me.
So fast forward 3 hours, and I now have a terrarium with a damned huge praying mantis in it stalking, and killing meal worms and crickets.

Apparently all you gotta do to water them is spray a small amount of water on the sides of the glass, and they lap it up. It's kinda cute when she does that right after destroying the life of some smaller insect.

I named her Captain Badass. Here's a picture.

Who's a cute lil gal! Yoooou are Captain Badass!

So...any ideas of things I should do with this. I'm thinking it's time for some revenge on the fucking flies that get into my house whenever I open the door. Also, does anyone else here have a pretty odd pet?
Mafro
(10-21-2010, 02:34 AM)
My brother had two of these as pets. I'm sure I remember hearing something about them being the only insect that can turn it's head or something like that, it's pretty creepy how they watch you as you move about the room :lol

They look fucking badass when you feed them, though. The way they stalk their prey, strike, then eat it head-first.
Mistouze
user-friendly man-cashews
(10-21-2010, 02:36 AM)
Find her a mate and film sick animal-necrophilliac pr0n.
EL Beefo
Little Big NeoContra
(10-21-2010, 02:39 AM)
My brother and I once caught a black widow and kept it in a jar for a month or so, feeding it random insects and stuff. It laid some eggs which we burned (don't want a hundred little black widows around) then eventually our mom made us kill it.
TheDrizzlerJ11
(10-21-2010, 02:42 AM)

Originally Posted by EL Beefo

My brother and I once caught a black widow and kept it in a jar for a month or so, feeding it random insects and stuff. It laid some eggs which we burned (don't want a hundred little black widows around) then eventually our mom made us kill it.

This is the worse idea for a pet ever. :lol
Did your mom know about it for a month?
Gaborn
Gaborn News:
Penetrating Your World™
(10-21-2010, 02:43 AM)

Dude, you're fucking crazy.
CrocMother
(10-21-2010, 02:43 AM)
That's sweet. I just got a venus fly trap, I love watching it eat as well.
Mafro
(10-21-2010, 02:48 AM)

Good Lord :lol

I don't think I'd be able to sleep in the same house as one, even if it's in a jar.
shaowebb
(10-21-2010, 02:50 AM)
Its kind of weird...the moment I turn on pokemon music Captain Badass began to bounce a bit. She's not doing it now, but I'll film this if it works again and it turns out to be anything other than coincidence.

Maybe if I play some legendary music...
ohhthegore
extremely sweet beard

seriously, what a hottie
(10-21-2010, 02:52 AM)

Originally Posted by shaowebb

Its kind of weird...the moment I turn on pokemon music Captain Badass began to bounce a bit. She's not doing it now, but I'll film this if it works again and it turns out to be anything other than coincidence.

Teach it some Kung-Fu
TheDrizzlerJ11
(10-21-2010, 02:52 AM)

I think a name change is in order!

this guy
(10-21-2010, 02:54 AM)

Press B before it's too late!!
G-Fex
(10-21-2010, 02:57 AM)
pfft my cat can eat your captain
Rindain
Banned
(10-21-2010, 03:05 AM)
Awesome, I love praying mantises. Even though one of them cut me pretty badly with its razor talons for trying to move it off a hedge that needed trimming.
Xeke
Banned
(10-21-2010, 03:05 AM)

Originally Posted by G-Fex

pfft my cat can eat your captain

Though you probably don't want your cat anywhere near this.

Shurs
(10-21-2010, 03:06 AM)

So...any ideas of things I should do with this.

Set it free.
EL Beefo
Little Big NeoContra
(10-21-2010, 03:07 AM)

Originally Posted by TheDrizzlerJ11

This is the worse idea for a pet ever. :lol
Did your mom know about it for a month?

We caught it outside our apartment during school and kept it in the house, but when we moved back home for the summer my mom made us keep it outside. Oh, and did I mention we didn't have a lid for the jar so I just used some duct-tape with some holes in it.
mm04
(10-21-2010, 03:11 AM)
The other night, I opened my front door to check for packages and noticed a praying mantis on the light fixture outside my door. I thought, oh cool. Closed the door, went in my office and I felt a fluttering near my ear (probably a moth). I freaked the F out because all I could think about was that praying mantis :lol . I yanked my shirt off and checked it and my hair for a good minute or two afterward.
brandonh83
Banned
(10-21-2010, 03:12 AM)
Found a black widow hanging out on the exterior front door frame yesterday. I almost shit my heart out. Not only am I arachnophobic but it's the first black widow I've seen in person. Not sure how I've went so long without seeing one but I was digging it.
Draft
(10-21-2010, 03:12 AM)
A dude on the Starting Strength forums has been keeping a mantis for a while. Look at this shit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSmk6...layer_embedded

Look at it eat.
Slayer-33
Liverpool-2
(10-21-2010, 03:14 AM)
Fuck ^
Mistouze
user-friendly man-cashews
(10-21-2010, 03:16 AM)

Originally Posted by Draft

A dude on the Starting Strength forums has been keeping a mantis for a while. Look at this shit:

Look at it eat.

Mandibles are so freaky! It would be like having fingers all around your mouth driving stuff into it.
shaowebb
(10-21-2010, 03:38 AM)

Originally Posted by ohhthegore

Teach it some Kung-Fu

By a strange coincidence I actually AM a 2nd degree brown in Shaolin-do kung fu. Though I can't remember a damned thing from my mantis class anymore...hmm...for that matter its been so long I should rephrase that to WAS a 2nd degree...
:(

Ah well...who cares.

As for the idea of setting it free, thats a no go. It's about time to frost here in WV and this gal would surely die within a few weeks. Looks like Captain Badass just scored a kickass penthouse suite terrarium for the winter!
dudeworld
(10-21-2010, 03:40 AM)

By a strange coincidence I actually AM a 2nd degree brown in Shaolin-do kung fu. Though I can't remember a damned thing from my mantis class anymore...hmm...for that matter its been so long I should rephrase that to WAS a 2nd degree...
:(

Ah well...who cares.

As for the idea of setting it free, thats a no go. It's about time to frost here in WV and this gal would surely die within a few weeks. Looks like Captain Badass just scored a kickass penthouse suite terrarium for the winter!

Maybe she wanted to die.
lethial
(10-21-2010, 03:40 AM)
My buddy would let his roam free around his apartment. Excellent pest deterrent.
apana
(10-21-2010, 03:43 AM)
I cant ever get along with a pet. Dogs are too energetic, cats are too snobby, and insects are evil. I'm beggining to think that the turtle is man's best friend.
Xeke
Banned
(10-21-2010, 03:47 AM)

Originally Posted by apana

I cant ever get along with a pet. Dogs are too energetic, cats are too snobby, and insects are evil. I'm beggining to think that the turtle is man's best friend.

Sounds like you need a pet rock.
TheDrizzlerJ11
(10-21-2010, 03:54 AM)
I used to have an iguana when I was little. Had 'em for about a year or more. He'd cling on my shirt and I could walk around with him just chillin on my shoulder or chest. One day I was doing this in the patio and he took off. Suckers are so damn fast too. :(
deadbeef
(10-21-2010, 05:42 AM)
Check out the one I saw several months ago outside my apartment:

Plywood
NeoGAF's smiling token!
(10-21-2010, 05:44 AM)

Originally Posted by Xeke

Sounds like you need a pet rock.

You know how hard it is to teach a pet rock to sit?

Not very.
Parallax
best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
(10-21-2010, 06:04 AM)
I bought 2 mantis egg sacs for my moms garden. There were so many, and now i think there may be only one or two left. I know for certain next year that i plan on keeping a few for myself next year
thefit
Banned
(10-21-2010, 06:27 AM)

I did the same thing cept I didn't destroy the eggs I let them hatch and watched the babies float away like in Charlotte's Web :*(
HK-47
Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
(10-25-2010, 08:03 AM)

Look at it eat.

Doesnt give a shit about no cameras. Rend that met asunder.
dejay
Banned
(10-25-2010, 11:09 AM)

Look at it eat.

Never seen a mantis eat sushi before O_O
jaxword
(10-25-2010, 11:15 AM)

Originally Posted by lethial

My buddy would let his roam free around his apartment. Excellent pest deterrent.

How did he keep from accidentally smooshing it?
jdogmoney
(10-25-2010, 11:37 AM)

Originally Posted by deadbeef

Check out the one I saw several months ago outside my apartment:

It's a shiny!
Sh1ner
(10-25-2010, 12:10 PM)
Can these fuckers fly? they have wings but they seem so damn big....
Luscious LeftFoot
(10-25-2010, 12:34 PM)

Originally Posted by Sh1ner

Can these fuckers fly? they have wings but they seem so damn big....

Yes.

And let me tell you there's nothing more traumatizing then sitting in your buddies backyard, just chilling out, and having one of these motherfuckers jump out of no where and fly directly at you.
Sh1ner
(10-25-2010, 01:27 PM)

Originally Posted by Luscious LeftFoot

Yes.

And let me tell you there's nothing more traumatizing then sitting in your buddies backyard, just chilling out, and having one of these motherfuckers jump out of no where and fly directly at you.

FFS we need to nuke every country with one of these in em. I am moving to the south pole.
DonMigs85
(10-25-2010, 01:44 PM)

FFS we need to nuke every country with one of these in em. I am moving to the south pole.

Nah, they're very clean insects and they aren't venomous or anything. Plus they eat the other bugs we hate more.
Parts
(10-25-2010, 01:48 PM)

Not a wise idea.

So many dangerous creatures on this rock of death we call Earth...
Mekere
(10-25-2010, 02:05 PM)

Originally Posted by Luscious LeftFoot

Yes.

And this is exactly why I'm terrified of praying mantis... Youth trauma :/ But yeah, they are really useful insects, I will never kill one but I wont keep one as a pet either :p.
bggrthnjsus
(10-25-2010, 02:06 PM)

Originally Posted by apana

turtles are covered in salmonella
elwes
(10-25-2010, 02:30 PM)

Originally Posted by thefit

I did the same thing cept I didn't destroy the eggs I let them hatch and watched the babies float away like in Charlotte's Web :*(

Dear god, man. What have you done? WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
The Quiet Man
(10-25-2010, 03:08 PM)
We used to keep mantises as pets. My fiancee thinks they are really cute. Haven't found any to keep in recent years, though,
Nickiepoo
(10-25-2010, 04:18 PM)
I wish I lived somewhere that had these.
Kletian
(10-25-2010, 04:29 PM)
A few years back I had one lay it's eggs in one of my bushes.

Nothing cuter than seeing dozens of baby mantises crawling around. Those little things were awesome.
shaowebb
(11-03-2010, 11:30 PM)
UPDATE:

Called it. The Captain is a girl...and now shes a mom. Captain Badass is in the process of laying what looks to be enough mantis eggs to systematically take over the world. It's kind of an odd foamy substance shooting out of her, and shes been at it about an hour.

Question is...what to do with them. Mantises (manti?) will gleefully cannibalize each other. It's still winter and if they are placed outside they could either
A) freeze
B) be eaten
C) maybe lay dormant and hatch in spring...if there safe enough

If I keep them they could

A) Be eaten by Captain Badass
B) Eat each other THEN be eaten by Captain Badass once they've fattened up
C) Be eaten by Captain Badass while she wears a hockey mask and clicks the theme from Halloween out with her mandibles.

...sigh...what to do. Decisions. Decisions.

Nature all up in this bitch.

Get'sMad
(11-03-2010, 11:32 PM)
I caught one in my house the other month, but just let him back outside....thought about keeping him.
Shanadeus
Banned
(11-03-2010, 11:32 PM)
Let evolution take it's course.

Survival of the fittest!