• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Dark Knight Rises (Batman 3) - No Riddler

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaMan121

Scullibundo said:
I don't get why people are so up in arms about a happy ending. I guess some people consider it more mature when things end in a depressing way COZ THAT LIKE REAL LIFE DOOD.

I liked Minority Report's ending. It wasn't sappy, it wasn't even cheery, but it was just a 'moving forward' ending. I also liked that Agatha got out.

Minority Report is also better science fiction than Inception imo. Especially since Inception doesn't really care to explain the actual science behind its ideas, but rather only talks about the ideas themselves.

Minority Report is just a much smarter movie imo. Yes, this was also part of the conversation I had the other night.

Cause GAF am sad. Although I don't recall them explaining the science behind the precogs..

Also, don't really like the name 'Rises'

AniHawk said:
I wonder if they could've plucked the title from The Dark Knight Returns instead. Hunt the Dark Knight or The Dark Knight Triumphant.

Or or or

Knightfall

Or or or

Good Knight and Good Luck

Or or or

30 Days of Knight

Or or or

Knight and Day

Or or or!

Rockin' Robin

Scullibundo said:
Oh man I had a long drunken argument the other night with somebody trying to tell me that Nolan could measure up to Spielberg.

i honestly don't find this that absurd.

a lot of spielberg movies i may have nostalgic ties to but i find that the older i get the less his filmography interests me. more than a few of his films have dated pretty poorly.

brianjones said:
i honestly don't find this that absurd.

a lot of spielberg movies i may have nostalgic ties to but i find that the older i get the less his filmography interests me. more than a few of his films have dated pretty poorly.

All I know is that Spielberg could make Inception, but Nolan doesn't contain the deft humanity in his work that's required to pull off something like Munich or Empire of the Sun. Nolan is all plot, no heart with his films and his characters (the closest being my favourite of his - The Prestige). Which is fine, because I love Nolan's films - but when you try and compare him to Spielberg don't be surprised if some spit lands in your face while my mouth flaps open in a display of desperate gasps for air.

EliCash

What an incredibly lame title. Ah well, the only thing that would kill the hype for me would be news of Robin appearing.

I still think Nolan should make Gotham City darker again. He could do some really cool stuff with a really gritty and dark Gotham. With Black Mask/Clay Face/Hush/Cat Woman
and an R Rating.
Almost Sin City style Batman or something. A 1970's New York style Gotham - the way it really should be. It would have been cool to put Gotham in the title in some way as well actually. A man can dream I guess. A man can dream.

EliCash

Dead said:
The return of Gotham is something I want as well. The city had no personality in TDK.

TDK got away with it though because of the presence of the Joker I think, this one really has to be darker.

Solo

brandonh83 said:
We usually think along the same lines, only you're a much braver person than I.

Or stupid/confrontational :lol

Scullibundo said:
Let's get the return of Thomas Wayne happening!

Needs to happen. Also, give James Newton Howard his keys back to the studio. No more Zimmerfests, please.

jett

D-Member
Dead said:
Its up to personal choice. Opinion is based on what the film presents. Youre simply to choosing to ignore it.

Inception only presents an illusion of ambiguity. There isn't any other logical outcome than the most obvious one.

:lol You really think Minority Report is all in Cruise's character's head? It's a shitty ending, deal with it.

I like the movie though.

Solo said:
Or stupid/confrontational :lol

213kff8.jpg

Dead

well not really...yet
jett said:
:lol You really think Minority Report is all in Cruise's character's head? It's a shitty ending, deal with it.

I like the movie though.
Theres more merit to that than there is to
herp, the entire movie was an inception performed on Leo

jett

D-Member
Dead said:
Theres more merit to that than there is to
herp, the entire movie was an inception performed on Leo

There's no merit to yours at all. You're making up an ending because you don't like what's in the movie.

Dead

well not really...yet
jett said:
There's no merit to yours at all. You're making up an ending because you don't like what's in the movie.
The existence of the possibility is inarguable. Spielberg did what he did deliberately, you honestly think he didn't realise the implications of the scenes he was including right BEFORE the end of the movie, which presents a pretty staggering tonal shift?

I wouldn't be surprised about Nolan not knowing about what is being implied in his own movie (after all he admits to having no idea whatsoever about the supposed movie making allegory in Inception) but Spielberg is beyond that.

jett

D-Member
Dead said:
The existence of the possibility is inarguable. Spielberg did what he did deliberately, you honestly think he didn't realise the implications of the scenes he was including right BEFORE the end of the movie, which presents a pretty staggering tonal shift?

I wouldn't be surprised about Nolan not knowing about what is being implied in his own movie (after all he admits to having no idea whatsoever about the supposed movie making allegory in Inception) but Spielberg is beyond that.

:lol :lol :lol Fucking PLEASE.

Blader

Dead said:

Not knowing your own script is a little different than not knowing whatever metaphors would-be film critics like to conjure up.

That's like saying Fincher doesn't know about what Fight Club is implying because he wasn't aware of the Calvin and Hobbes allegory people came up with.

StuBurns

Banned
The end of Inception is a reflection of the topic of the film, planting an idea, he displays that he has successfully implanted a thought that will cause doubt in the audience. The end of Minority Report is shit.

Dead

well not really...yet
StuBurns said:
The end of Inception is a reflection of the topic of the film, planting an idea, he displays that he has successfully implanted a thought that will cause doubt in the audience. The end of Minority Report is shit.
It doesn't plant the idea. It dangles it in front of the audience with a carrot stick before slamming to the credits.

Planting the idea would involve the film ending on a normal note, with audiences subsequently second guessing what they have just seen the more they reflected on the movie without having to be led. (and of course without being led, theres no reason to reflect on what really happened in Inception, since the actual events, bar some of the convoluted minutia, is pretty straight forward.)

StuBurns

Banned
Dead said:
It doesn't plant the idea. It dangles it in front of the audience with a carrot stick before slamming to the credits.

Planting the idea would involve the film ending on a normal note, with audiences subsequently second guessing what they have just seen the more they reflected on the movie without having to be led. (and of course without being led, theres no reason to reflect on what really happened in Inception, since the actual events, bar some of the convoluted minutia, is pretty straight forward.)
How can you possibly say it doesn't plant the idea? We're talking about it, everyone was talking about it, it'll essentially be the only thing people ever talk about in reference to the film going forward.

It's not subtle if that's what you mean, but I didn't claim it was.

Dead

well not really...yet
I was only arguing your wording.

Its easy to cause doubt in the audience by doing what he did at the end of the film. Planting doubt through reflecting on the actual film is another matter.

Puddles

Banned
Solo said:
Of course not. Its several notches above it.

WTF?

It's a decent film, and I think it's actually underrated, but compared to one of the biggest and best films of the past decade it's thoroughly outclassed.

StuBurns

Banned
Dead said:
I was only arguing your wording.

Its easy to cause doubt in the audience by doing what he did at the end of the film. Planting doubt through reflecting on the actual film is another matter.
My post was meant to mean the ending is conceptional linked to the topic of the film, not that it is something that lingers and works in retrospect. I guess reflection was a poorly chosen word.

Dead

well not really...yet
StuBurns said:
My post was meant to mean the ending is conceptional linked to the topic of the film, not that it is something that lingers and works in retrospect. I guess reflection was a poorly chosen word.
Sure, conceptually I agree. But I dont agree at all that the execution is anywhere near "planting" the idea.

WillyFive

Well, I thought Minority Report was not as interesting as Spielberg's other works. Kinda boring, except the scene where he was going to shoot him, raising tension to whether the precog would be right or not. Chicken and the Egg!

Puddles said:
It's a decent film, and I think it's actually underrated, but compared to one of the biggest and best films of the past decade it's thoroughly outclassed.

See not everyone necessarily agrees with this. I've seen several films this year alone that I found to be better and more enjoyable than Inception-- but that's just my opinion. Just like with The Dark Knight, I'm finding that Nolan is getting put on this pedestal that I just don't believe exists just yet. Scullibundo mentioned getting in an argument with someone who was trying to compare Nolan with Spielberg and I've had similar conversations. This makes me weep, truly.

black_13

Banned
Rises? why the hell not go with Returns? It doesn't makes sense, its so logical. You can't put Rise in a title without it sounding so uninspired and tacky.

This is already putting my hopes down cause 3rd movie in a trilogy is usually bad and the franchise reached its peak with Dark Knight. If the movie is at least half decent I'll be happy.

Dead

well not really...yet
brandonh83 said:
See not everyone necessarily agrees with this. I've seen several films this year alone that I found to be better and more enjoyable than Inception-- but that's just my opinion. Just like with The Dark Knight, I'm finding that Nolan is getting put on this pedestal that I just don't believe exists just yet. Scullibundo mentioned getting in an argument with someone who was trying to compare Nolan with Spielberg and I've had similar conversations. This makes me weep, truly.
Its a pedestal that exists. Its just that Nolan isn't anywhere near it.

WillyFive

black_13 said:
Rises? why the hell not go with Returns? It doesn't makes sense, its so logical. You can't put Rise in a title without it sounding so uninspired and tacky.

This is already putting my hopes down cause 3rd movie in a trilogy is usually bad and the franchise reached its peak with Dark Knight. If the movie is at least half decent I'll be happy.

The Dark Knight Returns is already taken by another Batman story.

Even outside of the story, Minority has much more interesting characters, a more developed world and despite Pfister's great work, is better shot than Inception. Janusz <8

hamchan

Dead said:
Its a pedestal that exists. Its just that Nolan isn't anywhere near it.

I don't think it's hard to see why people are putting him up on the pedestal.

Memento, The Prestige, Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, Inception, I think those 5 films are pretty damn great. I'd easily rate him among the top directors of the last decade.

I agree that he's not on this pedestal yet, he'd probably need many more years of making film before he can even be compared with Speilberg. I think he's well on the way to it though.

jett

D-Member
black_13 said:

Batman hasn't gone away. Where is he returning from?

Dead

well not really...yet
Scullibundo said:
Even outside of the story, Minority has much more interesting characters, a more developed world and despite Pfister's great work, is better shot than Inception. Janusz <8
Don't mince your words, it's pretty much better in every aspect of filmmaking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom