• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

snacknuts
we all knew her
(10-27-2010, 04:22 PM)
snacknuts's Avatar
Batman Continues I think the new title is fine.
neorej
ERMYGERD!
(10-27-2010, 04:23 PM)
neorej's Avatar
Batman 3: Lisp Harder
Tence
(10-27-2010, 04:23 PM)
Tence's Avatar

Originally Posted by Bleepey

i am calling it now, Batman 4 to be called The Dark Knight Falls, bookmark this post.

The Dark Knight Eternal: the Comeback of the Caped Crusader
suaveric
Member
(10-27-2010, 04:23 PM)
suaveric's Avatar

Originally Posted by Meus Renaissance

Dark Knight Rises sound like a college made film costing $400, trying to draw in the hipster crowd with the title.

In all seriousness, the imagery doesn't work there. Rise? He didn't "fall", and there isn't anything upcoming about the character to suggest a revitalisation. I don't the title should be similar to its predecessor. Anything with the 'Dark Knight' would have been terrible by default. "Rising" is just :lol


Well, he did "fall" in the public's eyes. But I would have preferred Redemption instead of Rising, if that's the angle they're going for.

Anyway, Batman on Film is reporting that DKR will be shooting in New Orleans, but mostly just interior work. The tax breaks are just too great to pass up. So that means the work in Chicago will be scaled back to just exteriors, as it was done in Begins.
Odious Tea
Member
(10-27-2010, 04:23 PM)
Cool beans. Looking forward to it.
Solo
he got what he thought he wanted, but lost that which was most important
(10-27-2010, 04:23 PM)
Solo's Avatar

Originally Posted by brianjones

oh gawd, how AWFUL

wont somebody please think of the messageboards

Im sorry, but for all the fellating many Gaffers give Nolan for being given free reign by WB to make his movies, this feels decidedly like a studio call.
Router
Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
(10-27-2010, 04:24 PM)
Router's Avatar

Originally Posted by Meus Renaissance

Dark Knight Rises sound like a college made film costing $400, trying to draw in the hipster crowd with the title.

In all seriousness, the imagery doesn't work there. Rise? He didn't "fall", and there isn't anything upcoming about the character to suggest a revitalisation. I don't the title should be similar to its predecessor. Anything with the 'Dark Knight' would have been terrible by default. "Rising" is just :lol


Ummmm the Last film ended with Batman taking the fall for Dents murder and being hunted by police.
badcrumble
Member
(10-27-2010, 04:24 PM)
badcrumble's Avatar

Originally Posted by Solo

The worst part of this title is how thinly vieled the attempt to cash in on TDK is. BB and TDK are sequels but they have distinctly different titles, like Batman 3 should have had. But TDK makes $500M, so WB decides Batman 3 needs to also have The Dark Knight in its title.

Nolan had better let another one of his actors 'accidentally' overdose if he wants to see a TDK-level gross again.

edit: before anyone freaks out, I'm kidding, gawsh
SpeedingUptoStop
will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
(10-27-2010, 04:24 PM)
SpeedingUptoStop's Avatar

Originally Posted by Solo

The worst part of this title is how thinly vieled the attempt to cash in on TDK is. BB and TDK are sequels but they have distinctly different titles, like Batman 3 should have had. But TDK makes $500M, so WB decides Batman 3 needs to also have The Dark Knight in its title.



Indeed. I cannot wait for DM to endure his Spider-Man 3 :lol

Oh Solo Solo Solo


The games have begun.
Solo
he got what he thought he wanted, but lost that which was most important
(10-27-2010, 04:25 PM)
Solo's Avatar

Originally Posted by Penguin

I'm curious how would you have branded this movie?

The Caped Crusader or one of a million other Batman titles
sixteen-bit
Member
(10-27-2010, 04:25 PM)
sixteen-bit's Avatar

Originally Posted by brandonh83

Whoever titled this musn't be afraid to dream a bit bigger, darling.

fixed?
Solo
he got what he thought he wanted, but lost that which was most important
(10-27-2010, 04:26 PM)
Solo's Avatar

Originally Posted by badcrumble

Nolan had better let another one of his actors 'accidentally' overdose if he wants to see a TDK-level gross again.

Word on the street is he got Tom Hardy into smoking rocks on the set of Inception. The seeds have been planted.
CajoleJuice
(10-27-2010, 04:26 PM)
CajoleJuice's Avatar

Originally Posted by Solo

Word on the street is he got Tom Hardy into smoking rocks on the set of Inception. The seeds have been planted.

He kills the pretty ones. :'(
Evlar
Banned
(10-27-2010, 04:26 PM)
Title's not too bad, as demonstrated by every other suggestion in this thread being worse. Rather than talk about whether or not it sucks I'd rather indulge in baseless speculation about what it means for the plot.

Bruce Wayne has an erection? Lucius cooks up a Batwing from some defunct black-ops project? Batman is buried alive and returns from the grave, R'as-style?
brandonh83
(10-27-2010, 04:26 PM)
brandonh83's Avatar
No one is trashing the film. But the title is extremely generic. Batman Begins and The Dark Knight were two titles that fit together very well and were different from one another. This didn't need "The Dark Knight" in the title to sell-- the fact that it's a follow up to TDK is plenty.

As long as people know it's "the next Batman" which they obviously would (I'd hope), that should be enough. Who honestly thinks someone would skip it, if they originally had the intention of watching the next one, just because "The Dark Knight" isn't in the title?

Originally Posted by _dementia

fixed?

sure, darling :D
Escape Goat
(10-27-2010, 04:27 PM)
The Olsen Twins have been perma banned from his sets.
MjFrancis
Member
(10-27-2010, 04:28 PM)
MjFrancis's Avatar
Really indifferent to the revealed title, but I still look forward to the movie. I should be ignoring all hype so I can be pleasantly surprised come release day, but I can't help scavenging every insignificant piece of information on this before before it arrives.
Penguin
(10-27-2010, 04:28 PM)
Penguin's Avatar

Originally Posted by Solo

The Caped Crusader or one of a million other Batman titles

See, I would avoid naming it that. I like the Caped Crusader title, but what they gonna have Gordon explain that at the end. "No he's not just a man, he isn't even just the Dark Knight, he is a mysterious man who fights the good fight. He fights when no one else can or will. He is a crusader.. with a cape... he is The Caped Crusader"
ReiGun
They call me "Mr Soap"
(10-27-2010, 04:28 PM)
ReiGun's Avatar
No Riddler? Aww man, he's one of my favorite villains. :(
Sotha Sil
Member
(10-27-2010, 04:28 PM)
Sotha Sil's Avatar

Originally Posted by brandonh83

No one is trashing the film. But the title is extremely generic. Batman Begins and The Dark Knight were two titles that fit together very well and were different from one another. This didn't need "The Dark Knight" in the title to sell-- the fact that it's a follow up to TDK is plenty.


Yep. Even "Batman Rising" or "Batman Rises" would have been better than this mess.

Still, hype <3
Solo
he got what he thought he wanted, but lost that which was most important
(10-27-2010, 04:29 PM)
Solo's Avatar

Originally Posted by Penguin

See, I would avoid naming it that. I like the Caped Crusader title, but what they gonna have Gordon explain that at the end. "No he's not just a man, he isn't even just the Dark Knight, he is a mysterious man who fights the good fight. He fights when no one else can or will. He is a crusader.. with a cape... he is The Caped Crusader"

:lol Nolan would have officially jumped the shark if he did that
Zzoram
Member
(10-27-2010, 04:30 PM)
Zzoram's Avatar
I understand why it has this title (to keep brand recognition) but it's a lousy title.

Batman Begins -> The Dark Knight -> The Dark Knight Rises?

It should've been more different.
NekoFever
Member
(10-27-2010, 04:30 PM)
NekoFever's Avatar
With Rachel dead there are essentially no female characters in it, so I'd bet money on either Catwoman or Harley Quinn being the villain(s). I'd be interested to see what they do with Catwoman, and she's pretty grounded in reality anyway.

Not too hot on the title, but I can remember the fan outrage when Ledger was cast as well :lol

Also good news on the 3D thing.
jett
Member
(10-27-2010, 04:30 PM)
jett's Avatar
YES!

Everyone got owned like wished. :lol Bububu the riddler this the riddler that fuck the riddler.
WedgeX
Livin' Like A King
(10-27-2010, 04:30 PM)
WedgeX's Avatar
Would've preferred the title be something invoking the detective comics name, but oh well. In Nolan we trust.

And with the Riddler out, that makes my Black Mask prediction all the more realistic.

Ohhhh and what about Hugo Strange?
Last edited by WedgeX; 10-27-2010 at 04:33 PM.
brandonh83
(10-27-2010, 04:32 PM)
brandonh83's Avatar
Batman Begins
The Dark Knight
Breaking Dawn

see was that so hard?
Scullibundo
MEMBER
(10-27-2010, 04:32 PM)
Scullibundo's Avatar

Originally Posted by Solo

Im sorry, but for all the fellating many Gaffers give Nolan for being given free reign by WB to make his movies, this feels decidedly like a studio call.

It will be very interesting to see if Cameron uses AVATAR in the title of his sequel.
Ninja Scooter
bow down to the
Kings in Raider hats
(10-27-2010, 04:32 PM)
Ninja Scooter's Avatar
:lol at people complaining about the title and then giving some of the most absurdly bad suggestions. "shadow of the bat"? Sounds like a campy Bela Legosi movie from the 50s. "the Caped Crusader"? :lol :lol :lol

Let's be real you would have complained no matter what the title was. That's what people on the Internet do, especially with anything comic book or movie related.
jett
Member
(10-27-2010, 04:33 PM)
jett's Avatar
:lol at the name suggestions. Don't quit your day job people.
Lakitu
st5fu
(10-27-2010, 04:33 PM)
Lakitu's Avatar
Damn, no Riddler? Shame.

And I don't like the title... should have just used The Dark Knight Returns.
sixteen-bit
Member
(10-27-2010, 04:33 PM)
sixteen-bit's Avatar

Originally Posted by Scullibundo

It will be very interesting to see if Cameron uses AVATAR in the title of his sequel.

joke post?
raphier
gentleman and scholar
(10-27-2010, 04:33 PM)

Originally Posted by Zzoram

I understand why it has this title (to keep brand recognition) but it's a lousy title.

Batman Begins -> The Dark Knight -> The Dark Knight Rises?

It should've been more different.

I really think the title should begin with Batman now.
brandonh83
(10-27-2010, 04:33 PM)
brandonh83's Avatar

Originally Posted by Ninja Scooter

Let's be real you would have complained no matter what the title was. That's what people on the Internet do, especially with anything comic book or movie related.

eh, I don't think so. IIRC people loved The Dark Knight title. I know I did.
soul creator
at 10 you suck
at 9 you're f*cked
at 8 you're a sucker
at 7 a motherf*cker
(10-27-2010, 04:34 PM)
soul creator's Avatar
damn, was looking forward to Eddie Murphy too
Tence
(10-27-2010, 04:34 PM)
Tence's Avatar

Originally Posted by jett

:lol at the name suggestions. Don't quit your day job people.

You do realise most of them are jokes right?
brianjones
Member
(10-27-2010, 04:34 PM)
brianjones's Avatar

Originally Posted by jett

Don't quit your day job people.

:lol

"dark of the moon" bitches
Solo
he got what he thought he wanted, but lost that which was most important
(10-27-2010, 04:34 PM)
Solo's Avatar

Originally Posted by Scullibundo

It will be very interesting to see if Cameron uses AVATAR in the title of his sequel.

Nope. Cameron actually has pull.
WyndhamPrice
Member
(10-27-2010, 04:35 PM)
WyndhamPrice's Avatar

Originally Posted by brandonh83

Batman Begins
The Dark Knight
Breaking Dawn

see was that so hard?

Zabka
Member
(10-27-2010, 04:35 PM)
Zabka's Avatar
Great name! That puts the movie up there with Hannibal Rising, GI Joe: The Rise of Cobra, Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer, Rise: Blood Hunter, Valhalla Rising, The Seeker: The Dark is Rising and about a hundred other movies not worth mentioning.
alr1ght
bish gets all the credit :)
(10-27-2010, 04:35 PM)
alr1ght's Avatar
eh, title sucks but that's business. Most people didn't even know TDK was a sequel.
Ninja Scooter
bow down to the
Kings in Raider hats
(10-27-2010, 04:35 PM)
Ninja Scooter's Avatar
Dark Knight Returns is already an established title of a very specific, very well known Batman story. They aren't gonna use that.
sixteen-bit
Member
(10-27-2010, 04:36 PM)
sixteen-bit's Avatar

Originally Posted by soul creator

damn, was looking forward to Eddie Murphy too

Nolan could make it work
jett
Member
(10-27-2010, 04:36 PM)
jett's Avatar

Originally Posted by Tence

You do realise most of them are jokes right?

I see several being serious about the "Caped Crusader". I have to say, I lol'd.
SpeedingUptoStop
will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
(10-27-2010, 04:36 PM)
SpeedingUptoStop's Avatar
Time for future DVD/blu descriptions on the back cover:

"Batman becomes fully engorged in the threat to Gotham City."
DMczaf
(10-27-2010, 04:36 PM)
DMczaf's Avatar
Caped Crusader?

Shadow of the Bat?

Jesus fuck, GAF is just as bad at titles as they are at casting.
Sir Hamish
Member
(10-27-2010, 04:36 PM)
Sir Hamish's Avatar
I'm not surprised they aren't using the Riddler. They already did the whole dangerous scenarios/murders thing really well with the Joker in TDK. If they were to have the Riddler as a detective hunting down Batman that would work, but again they've already done the whole fall from grace thing with Two-Face.

Bane would work really well as a Ra's/Joker style supervillian trying to usurp Batman's 'rule' over Gotham.

Black Mask and the Penguin would work well as replacements for the traditonal gangster characters and would fit in with the escalation theme. Even your standard greedy criminal is getting a bit edgier and crazier.

Harley Quinn would be awesome as a crazy Joker impersonating serial killer and would be a nice parallel to the Batman impersonating vigilantes at the start of the Dark Knight. It could highlight how the Joker's madness is 'infecting' people from behind bars in the same way that Batman is inspiring people.

It would be nice to see Scarecrow come back totally insane. Maybe Bane breaks him out of Arkham to have him work on improving his venom or something.
sixteen-bit
Member
(10-27-2010, 04:37 PM)
sixteen-bit's Avatar

Originally Posted by Ninja Scooter

Dark Knight Returns is already an established title of a very specific, very well known Batman story. They aren't gonna use that.

forgot about that, and i even read it :lol
it had the female robin, right?
ghst
thanks for the laugh
(10-27-2010, 04:37 PM)
ghst's Avatar

Originally Posted by suaveric

Well, he did "fall" in the public's eyes. But I would have preferred Redemption instead of Rising, if that's the angle they're going for.

i'd be pretty bummed if the dark knight truly was the second act tragedy. i feel like there's alot darker (heh) places for the character to go before a rousing chorus of redemption to fully have its potential gravitas.

for main antagonist? i'd like to see victor zsasz. his themes, motivation and character all seem like a great fit for the nolanverse. even if like bane and the riddler, some of his best elements got rolled into the joker.
Solo
he got what he thought he wanted, but lost that which was most important
(10-27-2010, 04:37 PM)
Solo's Avatar

Originally Posted by jett

I see several being serious about the "Caped Crusader". I have to say, I lol'd.

And yet you creamed your pants to "The Dark Knight" which is basically the same title :lol
Scullibundo
MEMBER
(10-27-2010, 04:37 PM)
Scullibundo's Avatar
NO MORE DEAD COPS

Logline: This time, its REALLY not good.

Thread Tools