• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dog Age - Official Man's Best Friend Thread

Wolf

GO HABS GO
Untitled-1.jpg

First off, the intent of this thread. Personally I feel I'd like to have all discussion related to the dogs we love in one all encompassing thread, covering everything from picking the right dog for you, training tips, health issues, dietary needs, behavioral issues, funny stories and even the truly sad ones, when are companions leave us. Post anything dog - related here.

GAF has so many individual dog threads but they get lost in the shuffle so why not have an all in one?
Would be cool if everyone listed the breed of dog they have as well, I could keep track of it and and assemble a list to see just how many of us own dogs and what breeds.

GAF DOG LIST

Akita - HylianTom, pseudocaesar, pseudocaesar,Tendo
Aussie - lawlowhat
Aussie/Golden Retriever Mix - f0nz0
Australian Cattle Dog Mix - Ceres, bobnowhere, PigSpeakers, Jeff25987, Poigea
Alaskan Malamute - Kryten
American Eskimo - Ryck
American Staffordshire Terrier - Az987
Beagle - .hacked, BobDylan, BatmanBatmanBatman, JoJoShabadoo
Belgian Mastiff - koji
Bernese Mountain Dog - Einbroch
Bichon Frise - Pinko Marx
Black Lab/Collie Mix - karak
Border Collie - captive, Zoolaga
Border Collie/Lab - Doncamatic
Border Collie/Australian Cattle Dog - bobnowhere
Boston Terrier - funkmasterb, Outdoor Miner, D6AMIA6N, rinse82, Windu, The Albatross,Luixfern
Boxer - ralphwiggum, choodi, andycapps, TurtleSnatcher
Boxer/Bulldog mix - Slevin140
Bull Mastiff/Bull Arab - choodi
British Bulldog - ilbambino
Cane Corso - Relix
Chow Chow- Quote
Chow Chow/American Eskimo Mix - Ryck
Cocker Spaniel - close to the edge, BlazingDarkness
Collie Long Haired - Flink
Czechoslovakian Vlcaks - AMUSIX
Daschsund - BankaiZaraki, jon bones,kylej,
English Bulldog - mr stroke
English Pointer - Stooge
English Springer Spaniel - Jroderton, .hacked, Mikasangelos
Finnigan - PhoenixSFT
French Bulldog - ohhthegore,mcawesome
German Shepherd - Papercuts, warthog
Husky/Lab Mix - jos
Icelandic Sheepdog - Metroid Killer
Jack Russel Terrier - Wolf, ItAintEasyBeinCheesy, needlejuice, CAW,Staccat0
German Pincher - RoninChaos
German Shorthaired Pointer - Professor Fog
German Shepherd - EschatonDX, MarleyManiac, njean777
German Shepherd/Beagle Mix - risk
Great Dane - MidnightRider
Great Dane/Pitbull Mix - Karak
Goldendoodle - Ecce
Golden Retriever - simon belmont, Ashy Larry, Router, Modernkicks, CF_Fighter, LukeSmith,lochnesssnowman
Golden Retriever/Boxer mix - IMACOMPUTA
King Charles Spaniel - taoofjord
Kelpie - markot, Cheshire
Keeshond - Hawkian
Lab/Shepherd - KCHusker33
Lab/Boder Collie - linkboy
Lab/Beagle Mix -Blue Ninja
Lab/Beauceron Mix - -Blue Ninja
Lab-Chow Mix - Hcoregamer00
Laberdoodle - ZZMitch
Labrador Retriever - clemenx, Topher, linkboy, MidnightScott, ronitoswife, theguy, megashock5, Bru, CrankyJay, rvy, AvidNobody,msdstc,Musiol, BdoUK
Maltypoo - Ermac
Maltese - Pein
Miniature Dachshund - joelseph, jon bones,
Mini Pinscher/Chihuahua mix - Zyzyxxz
Patterdale Terrier - sammyCYBORG
Pitbull - Alligatorjandro, JoseJX, NH Apache
Pitt/Boston Terrier/Chihuaha Mix - karak
Pitbull/Lab Mix - Poigea
Poodle - salva, hermit7
Pomeranian - SPEA
Pomimo - Ryck
Pug - InVinoVeritas, shas'la, rocksteady1983, moonspeak, Curufinwe
Puggle - .hacked, teruterubozu
Rottweiler - prelude514, Marv_79
scottish terrier - bluemax, Asparagus
Schnauzer - styl3s, Secret_Riddle
Shetland Sheepdog - ili0926,
Shiba Inu - lennedsay, methos75, Professor Fog, risk, pelicansurf, anteater,belvedere, Tendo,equap, Pickles the Firecat
Shitz Tzu - Dax01, joshcryer,AlimNassor
Siberian Husky - Wolf, Olin, Cheska, vaelic, ciD_Vain,Brian Fellows,daCuk,ciD_Vain, TrounceX
Siberian Husky/Chocolate Lab Mix - Jos,
Siberian Husky / Malamute mix - Egnirys
Terrier schnauzer mix - Pagusas
Tibetan Terrier - Spirit Eevee
Weimaraner - Duracelllll, Slider
Welsh Corgi - mrWalrus, julls, BlackSalad, Confused101, curiouswitch
West Highland Terrier - jett
Yorkshire Terrier - red_13th ,Wray,njean777

*Unknown breed(or not given) - Night_Trekker, BobDylan, Polg, peppermints, DJ88, elfinke, Max Armstrong, squidhands, asparagus, voodoojohn

USEFUL DOG LINKS

List of dog breeds

Selecting the dog right for you

Selecting a dog breeder

Housebreaking your dog

Basic commands

Dog food analysis

COMMON ISSUES

Seperation Anxiety

Dog on dog aggression

Chewing

Digging Issues

Excessive barking

My girlfriend had a Jack Rusell Terrier that she had before we got together 3 years ago and hes alot of fun, so much energy in such a small dog. In April we decided to get a Siberian Husky puppy from a breeder. Didn't have any real life experience with Huskies and we both knew what the word was about them(super high energy dogs) but we went for it anyways. His name is Wolf and he just turned 9 months old a few days back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_tgoUqejjI&feature=player_embedded

That's a short vid of him playing around with my brother's Rottweiler who is three months younger than Wolf and will be alot bigger than Wolf real soon.:lol

He's had no major issues as of yet other then a bout of parasites in his stomach for a few months that caused him to have loose stool and diarrhea. If anyone is currently having any problems with parasites Im the guy to talk too, researched every single one of them and went into full discussions with my vet as we tried to diagnose exactly what was causing the problem.

We feed both dogs Orijen Dog Food since it has the most natural ingredients in it and doesn't put any cheap filler in to fill the bag up. Both dogs love it. If anyone knows of other great dog foods or raw meals post it up.

Between both dogs we have to keep a regiment on them to kill their energy on a daily basis. Hour walks in the morning and evening on top of the dog park twice a week to keep them in check. Wolf is good at walking beside us but does have his moments of lunging if something really excites him, if someone here has any tips on perfecting "the walk" then I'm all ears.

DonMigs85

I still greatly miss Boris, my 13-year old yellow Lab who we had to put down back in May this year because his cancer was getting pretty bad. Still haven't gotten a new dog yet. This pic was taken March of 2009. He was really handsome in his younger days, though.

n1552043891_30194025_2592756.jpg

mrWalrus

Banned
This is my new best friend. His name is Maxwell.

maxwelltongue-1-1.jpg

Max is a Pembroke Welsh Corgi, in this photo he's 11 weeks, but he's now 16 weeks old and growing like a weed. The little guy picks up everything super quick. He was fully trained by the time of this photo, and his disposition is incredible. He's gotten along with every dog, human, and feline he's met. I couldn't recommend this breed enough. :D

Max also eats Orijen.

my beloved labrador Phil died in may, after 11 years. He suffered a internal bleeding during the night. My mom found him already dead in the lawn, I ran out and watched his dead body in shock for about ten minutes. The whole family was crying like babies. I still cannot believe he's dead, he was more than a family member, he was like a son to me. He was the best dog in the world, and I still feel a pain in the stomach when I come back home and don't see him jumping on me, or sleeping on my bed, or fornicating with my shoes. The worst day of my life.

Ive got a Great Dane. Love him till the death of me. Hell ive even got the outline of his foot ready for my next tattoo. Haha.

Will post pictures in a bit. Not near a computer and will have to install the photobucket app on my phone.

Props for posting that dog food analysis link. Very good info on there. My dog eats the "taste of the wild" brand thanks to that website.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Needs a chart explaining how much shit each type of dog produces so we know which ones will drive you the most crazy.

Wolf

GO HABS GO
MidnightRider said:
Ive got a Great Dane. Love him till the death of me. Hell ive even got the outline of his foot ready for my next tattoo. Haha.

Will post pictures in a bit. Not near a computer and will have to install the photobucket app on my phone.

Props for posting that dog food analysis link. Very good info on there. My dog eats the "taste of the wild" brand thanks to that website.

greatdane.jpg

That's the first great dane Wolf has ever seen, man what a fucking beast!:lol

I've always loved great danes but the 7-8 year average life span made my shy away. Still such an amazing breed though. I remember reading about some raw meal diets for great danes that can push them to 9-11 years of life though if feed their whole life.

Alucrid

Banned
Shiiiit. I want a Husky SO BADLY. Adorable. I figured that after handling a Saint Bernard earlier in their lives my parents would be game to take in a Husky, I was wrong. :(

My roommates are thinking of getting a dog if we get a house next year. I have an inkling that I'll end up taking care of it most...I kinda mind, but at the same time I love dogs so it wouldn't be a huge burden. I want either a Border Collie or Shiba Inu.

hermit7

Love Dogs, always grew up with small ones. Couple poodles, and a Lhasa Apso.

When I graduate I am going to get a Tibetan Mastiff. (or maybe just another Lhasa Apso, mine died a couple years ago after 15 years.)

Current dog is a mini-poodle, and while I like her she doesn't really care for me very much for some stupid reason.

Alucrid

Banned
hermit7 said:
Love Dogs, always grew up with small ones. Couple poodles, and a Lhasa Apso.

When I graduate I am going to get a Tibetan Mastiff. (or maybe just another Lhasa Apso, mine died a couple years ago after 15 years.)

Current dog is a mini-poodle, and while I like her she doesn't really care for me very much for some stupid reason.

because poodles are awful dogs. yeah, i said it.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
My parents just got a maltypoo, his name's Dexter! Except they found out he is deaf :( ... They debated giving him back, but couldn't end up doing it. We were worried no one else would want him!

He is super playful and energetic, just like any normal old pup :)

33453_1264767659174_1229220555_31037895_7825926_n.jpg

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
QwnXj.jpg

My two. Rescued em both from the pound. One's a corgi (her legs are like fat little chicken drumsticks), the other I have no idea :lol They were inseparable from the moment they met.

linkboy

I've got two dogs, one lives with my parents in California and the other lives here with me and the wife in Montana.

First up is the one in California. His name is Tuck and he's a 13yr old purebred Yellow Lab. Hands down he's the best dog I've ever owned. He's pretty much everything anyone could ever want out of a dog. We got him as a puppy and he's lived with us for his whole life. Every time I go home, he gets excited. Me and this dog were (still are) best friends and will be up until he dies (which sadly is vastly approaching).

l_353b53eb5e3c4bc7babb9888b165ec4f.jpg

The one that lives with the wife and I is a Lab\Border Collie we picked up at the shelter about a month and a half ago. His name is Harley and he's one of the oddest, strangest and awesome dogs I've ever seen. He was a real submissive dog when we got him, but as he's gotten to know us, he's turned into one loyal dog. You can see that he appreciates that he has a loving home. Its really awesome when I'll be laying down on the floor watching TV and he'll walk up and lay down right next to me.

63021_466340896004_523216004_7080437_4756320_n.jpg

$200

Banned
Totakeke said:
2u2g7.jpg

Dog > Cat

That picture is full of bs :lol . The cost on medical for an old dog per year can often exceed $1000. I'd say the actual total cost would be at least 10x that number.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
mrWalrus said:

maxwelltongue-1-1.jpg

Max is a Pembroke Welsh Corgi, in this photo he's 11 weeks, but he's now 16 weeks old and growing like a weed. The little guy picks up everything super quick. He was fully trained by the time of this photo, and his disposition is incredible. He's gotten along with every dog, human, and feline he's met. I couldn't recommend this breed enough. :D

Max also eats Orijen.
*melts*

D'AWWWWWWWWWW

Here's my best friend Barley. We picked him up from the KC Humane Society about 4 years ago as a puppy. Best thing we ever did, he's completely and insanely awesome. He's part lab, part shepherd, and a little bit of something else as well.

Me and the boy
Img0436-2.jpg

Bath time - which he hates, but you couldn't tell it here
P3300010-1.jpg

Goofing around
P8310138-1.jpg

On a related and sad note, my dad is likely putting his yellow lab down tomorrow. She's around 13-14 years old and just can't hardly stand up anymore. We got her as a puppy when I was in HS and she's an amazing dog. She'd play fetch until she dropped. She'll be missed greatly and sadly I have no pics available of her at the moment.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
mrWalrus said:

maxwelltongue-1-1.jpg

Max also eats Orijen.
Second the Corgi vote - they really are wonderful dogs, and complete clowns. So much character!

Wolf

GO HABS GO
$200 said:
That picture is full of bs :lol . The cost on medical for an old dog per year can often exceed $1000. I'd say the actual total cost would be at least 10x that number.

Agreed. My 1st dog had probably 7k racked up on vet bills for her last 4 years alone. She had hip dysplasia and that was probably higher bills than most people will face but there isn't much dogs out there that don't develop some time of problem during their senior years.

She was worth every penny though, thats for sure.

HylianTom

Banned
I have a 13-year-old Akita named Jake. He's a pound puppy. The vet didn't want to put him down, and when we found him he was 48 hours past his execution time.

He had emergency surgery for bloat on April 23rd, and is still doing pretty well here six months later. The doctor had given him a 60% chance of surviving the surgery at his advanced age, and it was quite expensive, but I just couldn't let him die that way. Too horrible. Thank goodness we recognized the symptoms right away.. otherwise, he'd be gone.

He's definitely slowing down, but the quality of life is without a doubt still there. Eats like a king, steals our best comforters from the bed, walks several miles a day. And he's the best football-watching, video-gaming companion ever. When Dad calls and talks to my partner on the phone, he doesn't ask, "How's Tommy doing?" - he asks "How's my Jake doin'?!"

I'm going to be devastated when he goes.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e323/HylianTom/The Jake File/HappyJakeinTallGrass.jpg

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e323/HylianTom/The Jake File/JakeRunningThroughTallGrass.jpg

OldManinSnow.jpg

Angry Grimace

My dad's dog, which we've had since forever, just hit 17. She basically can't see or hear at this point, but she doesn't seem to be in pain. She still freaks out about food, even if she doesn't necessarily know where it is at all times.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
So is every post in this thread equal to 7 posts in regular threads?

Simon Belmont said:
I'd like to see a cat do something even near as useful as that.

What an odd way to quantify the value of a pet.

Kryten

We breed, race and show Alaskan Malamutes here in NZ. We currently have 9 dogs, the oldest is on the right in this pic and doesn't look like she's her 13 years old. The doofus on the right is Neo who's now 9 (pic was taken in 2004) and is the most amazing dog we've ever had when it comes to running.

neo-kali-vineyard04-1.jpg

I've never been able to race them in the snow, one day though :)

Wolf

GO HABS GO
Kryten said:
We breed, race and show Alaskan Malamutes here in NZ. We currently have 9 dogs, the oldest is on the right in this pic and doesn't look like she's her 13 years old. The doofus on the right is Neo who's now 9 (pic was taken in 2004) and is the most amazing dog we've ever had when it comes to running.

neo-kali-vineyard04-1.jpg

I've never been able to race them in the snow, one day though :)

Let me borrow a few of them, we got plenty of snow here in Canada.

Out of curiosity what is the weight of the two in that picture? They look huge, id guess the 120lb range.

Was actually contemplating a Malamute over a Husky at one point but my girlfriend was convinced she would be dragged down the street once it got older.

linkboy

I'm looking for a good brand of dry dog food to switch Harley to. He's currently on Science Diet (what he was fed at the shelter) and I want to switch him from it.

What is a good brand of dog food?

Top Bottom