• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Fullmetal Alchemist movie announced - The Sacred Star of Milos

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

FyW4Z.jpg

Official Site: http://www.hagaren-movie.net
Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cik5ZXXXuFY

Staff:
Original Work - Hiromi Arakawa
Director - Kazuya Murata
Script - Yuuichi Shinpo
Character Design/Chief Animation Director - Kenichi Konishi
Unit Director - Shingo Natsume
Animation Director - Kiyotaka Oshiyama
Art Director - Tomoaki Okada, Kazuo Ogura
Director of Photography - Yoshiyuki Takei
Music - Taro Iwashiro
Theme Song - L'Arc~en~Ciel
Animation Production - BONES

Brand new original story. Coming Summer 2011. The voice cast retains the FMA Brotherhood cast for Winry, Mustang, etc.

Edit: Adding in some new information for the OP.

B.K. said:

duckroll said:
DSAqr.jpg

Second official key visual for the movie. The new female heroine in the movie is Julia Crichton, voiced by Maaya Sakamoto. She's a 16 year old orphan who was born in the place known as Milos, which has since been destroyed. She is a part of an organization called the Black Bat which works towards rebuilding their lost nation. Her parents were killed by alchemists when she was young. She is wanted by the Amestris military.

Another new character revealed in the magazines this month is Melvin Voyager. He's a 26 year old alchemist who was imprisoned in the Central prison for burglary. Just before he was due to be released on parole, he read a certain article in the papers which drove him to break out instead. His escape from prison is the start of the movie. He uses an unknown form of alchemy.

The movie mostly takes place in Table City - located at the border between the west of Amestris and Creta.

duckroll said:

Edit: More news.

duckroll said:
NA5V7.jpg

This is a photo of a portion of a promotional flier for the movie. It contains additionally staff details not previously released, including the composer and the theme song artist. Hopefully there'll be a full scan of the flier available soon with the rest of the details.

Unit Director: Shingo Natsume
Animation Director: Kiyotaka Oshiyama
Art Director: Tomoaki Okada, Kazuo Ogura
Director of Photography: Yoshiyuki Takei

Music: Taro Iwashiro
Theme Song: L'Arc~en~Ciel

Big One

Banned
That's kickass.

What would the story be about, though?

One thing FMA never covered was the North country iirc, but that's all I can think of.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I've never found movies from manga-universes to be all that exciting, although I did like the first FMA movie (probably because it was almost literally just an extended 53rd episode)

Big One said:
That's kickass.

One thing FMA never covered was the North country iirc, but that's all I can think of.
They covered Drachma. It was filled with Russian analogues :lol

Dresden

Big One said:
That's kickass.

Original story, so it could just be some random adventure the two brothers have. The series was at its best when it was like that, anyways.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
It obviously would have to be a standalone series about Ed and Al doing something mostly random, since the series's end kind of precludes that making much sense.

duckroll

The choice of staff is really interesting. It's very obvious they're out to do a "real" FMA movie so to speak this time, instead of either a sequel or recap of an existing FMA series. By having a completely new staff work on an original movie, it could definitely make the piece feel much more stand alone, creative, and interesting. I'm definitely interested.

Poyunch

It's probably just going to be about Ed and Al looking for the Philosopher's Stone and something about a Chimera.

LowParry

PounchEnvy said:
It's probably just going to be about Ed and Al looking for the Philosopher's Stone and something about a Chimera.

Well, in the trailer you do see a....wolf man and flying people. Hawk and Mustang are seen in the trailer as well.

(._.)

Banned
One of the few animes I don't completely loathe. Watched ever episode in the original TV series plus the first movie. Haven't seen all of Brotherhood but I plan to. I thought there was a movie finale for Brotherhood I guess this isn't it? I very much enjoyed the made up lore/story for the original TV series so I wouldn't mind if this somehow tied into that.

Bryant

While I am kinda sad that its not a continuation, ill be honest I knew there was no chance of that happening. The way I see it, if this one sells well, it wont be the last FMA movie we see. As long as the quality stays the same, more FMA makes me more happy.

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
Yeah, this Ed defin. looks more in line with the one from the first series.

zlatko

Banned
Super hyped! :D FMA is still my favorite anime of all time, and Brotherhood def. is my second. :lol

To be honest if they redid the series a third time I'd be all aboard. The characters and universe they've built is my favorite work of fiction out of any form of media/entertainment from games to movies, etc.

Jex

duckroll said:
Most WTF scene from the trailer:

PuYQ8.jpg

I know right? Apart from the weird Nausicaa head-gear and the lipstick we have the even crazier notion of somehow mounting a machine-gun on your own arm and firing while in flight. I mean, that thing would go all over the place!

Why would her arm be a stable rest for the gun anyway?

Slavik81

Feep said:
I was praying this wouldn't be a filler movie, but it's a filler movie.

/don'tcare
On the bright side, it couldn't possibly be worse than Conquerors of Shamballa.

Edit: Dammit, ZoddGutts.

duckroll

Jexhius said:
I know right? Apart from the weird Nausicaa head-gear and the lipstick we have the even crazier notion of somehow mounting a machine-gun on your own arm and firing while in flight. I mean, that thing would go all over the place!

Why would her arm be a stable rest for the gun anyway?

There are other totally bizarre things about the entire design. They're flying with artificial wings. Not jetpacks, not gliders, but two piece wings. Also, there's a sword on her hip too, although considering the rest of the design, that's the least unusual thing about it. :p

I really like the look of the movie though. The line work and the animation style is very distinct, and looks a lot more liberated than the usual anime adaptations or mainstream cash-in animation work. There's a lot less focus on making the image look clean and overly "polished" like most anime tend to look, but instead it has a rough but smooth look. I would say it's comparable to stuff in Black Rock Shooter and some of Yuasa's work. It looks like a drawing come to life, instead of something which looks like it has been corrected and refined over and over by an animation director until it looks overly sharp and clean.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
So is this a completely new story or something from the manga that was never animated?

If it's a pre-conspiracy arc story, I'd be excited.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
I can't help but notice the lesser amount of shadows in most movie productions lately. Is it a stylistic choice or something?

duckroll

I wonder who's doing the music this time round. Since the staff is brand new, I'm sure the composer will be new to FMA too. The music in the trailer works pretty well.

duckroll

Some info on the staff members on this new project:

Kazuya Murata: He's been directing episodes of TV anime for quite a while now. He directed the anime music video for Two-Mix's White Reflection, and he worked on quite a number of episodes on Eureka Seven and Code Geass. He was also the assistant director of Code Geass. More recently he directed and storyboarded episode 2 of Gundam Unicorn, and he's co-storyboarding episode 3 as well. This movie will be his debut as a full fledged director.

Yuuichi Shinpo: He's a screenwriter and novelist who used to be an animator earlier in his career. He wrote the Japanese novel Whiteout, which was subsequently adapted into a live action feature. He also wrote the screenplay for several Doraemon movies.

Kenichi Konishi: He's an ex-Ghibli animator who left the studio to work freelance. Since then he has handled the the character designs, animation direction, and main animation of Tokyo Godfathers under Satoshi Kon, and also handled the character designs for the TV anime Bokurano.

Grzi

duckroll said:
Kazuya Murata: He's been directing episodes of TV anime for quite a while now. He directed the anime music video for Two-Mix's White Reflection

I know this doesn't mean anything for the FMA movie, but man, I really really like the White Reflection video (
and song :(
), so it made me a bit more excited.

duckroll

Japanese fans have noted that the new alchemist character has alchemy circles on the palm of both his hands, and he is wearing the same sort of prison garb that Kimblee was wearing when he was imprisoned. Hmmmm...

Blader

duckroll said:
Some info on the staff members on this new project:

Kazuya Murata: He's been directing episodes of TV anime for quite a while now. He directed the anime music video for Two-Mix's White Reflection, and he worked on quite a number of episodes on Eureka Seven and Code Geass. He was also the assistant director of Code Geass. More recently he directed and storyboarded episode 2 of Gundam Unicorn, and he's co-storyboarding episode 3 as well. This movie will be his debut as a full fledged director.

This movie will be amazing.

B.K.

So it's original material after all. There goes any interest I had in the movie. I think I'll skip it. I'll only watch it if it ever comes on Adult Swim.

Jex

The prospect of an original concept with talented staff is far more interesting than any continuity tie-in.

Oh no, they're probably going to make some kind of fun adventure movie! It's doomed to suck!

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
The flying person totally ruined that trailer for me and killed any optimism I had for this movie.

ultron87

Cool. This'll be more encouragement for me to finish Brotherhood on Hulu.

About halfway through at this point, is there anything in the rest of the series as cool as
Mustang taking out Lust?
Because that was pretty damn awesome.

Edit: Wrong character name.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
ultron87 said:
Cool. This'll be more encouragement for me to finish Brotherhood on Hulu.

About halfway through at this point, is there anything in the rest of the series as cool as
Mustang taking out Lust?

Edit: Wrong character name.
There is one scene.... (spoilers)

King Bradley takes out a fucking tank and half a platoon of soldiers

Blader

Jexhius said:
The prospect of an original concept with talented staff is far more interesting than any continuity tie-in.

Oh no, they're probably going to make some kind of fun adventure movie! It's doomed to suck!

An original story means it'll be better written than Brotherhood too.

ultron87 said:
Mustang taking out Lust?

There's nothing cooler than that imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom