• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

[IMG]http://i56.************/9jf6s8.jpg[/IMG]

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/201...o_generations/

Pac-Man Championship Edition DX will hit Xbox Live Arcade tomorrow and PlayStation Network (PS3) next week. But this new take on Pac-Man is just the start of Namco Bandai's plans for classic Namco franchises.

The company detailed today the "Namco Generations" project. This series revives Namco titles of old with modern technology and "sense" for release on PS3 and Xbox 360.

Pac-Man Championship Edition DX is the first game in the series. It will be followed at an undisclosed point by Galaga Legions DX and Aero Cross. Namco Bandai says that it plans on adding new titles periodically.

jooey
The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
(11-16-2010, 07:04 AM)
Nice callback.

Edgeward
(11-16-2010, 07:05 AM)
Aero Cross? Based on an obscure arcade game, metrocross. Just stomp on my heart and leave Ridge Racer in it's coffin why don't you, Namco? =(

Given the usual staple of games Namco likes bringing out regularly, I expect some update to Xevious as well.
TreIII
(11-16-2010, 07:05 AM)
If it means the likes of Dig Dug might also be up for grabs for this type of treatment, by all means! :lol
djSyndrome
(11-16-2010, 07:10 AM)
New Dragon Spirit/Saber? Please?
Enk
makes good threads.
(11-16-2010, 07:33 AM)
Galaga Legions DX you say? The original Legions was very under appreciated and was buried quickly on XBLA. Glad to see they're doing more with this.
Drkirby
Corporate Apologist
(11-16-2010, 07:35 AM)
Can I have a new Toy Pop please? Or heck, just stop trying to pretend you never made the game.
Adam J.
(11-16-2010, 08:01 AM)
I hope they make the new Galaga Legions a bit more approachable, because the original's difficulty was outputting for casual fans of the original.

Pac Man comes out Wednesday? As in like one day Wednesday?
fernoca
(11-16-2010, 08:09 AM)

Originally Posted by Adam J.

Pac Man comes out Wednesday? As in like one day Wednesday?

On Xbox Live Arcade. Next week on PSN.
duckroll
mashadar's Nekomimi slave
(11-16-2010, 08:17 AM)
http://game.watch.impress.co.jp/vide...l/ppv.flv.html

Pac Man Championship Edition DX looks pretty amazing...
Teknoman
Little Big NeoContra
(11-16-2010, 08:26 AM)

Originally Posted by duckroll

http://game.watch.impress.co.jp/vide...l/ppv.flv.html

Pac Man Championship Edition DX looks pretty amazing...

The pac-bullet time is awesome.
PepsimanVsJoe
(11-16-2010, 09:14 AM)
Outfoxies DX next please!

Oh God Pacman CE DX is looking so good...SO GOOD...oh my GOD I just...WOW.

Here N/B...I just emailed you bastards my credit card info. TAKE all OF my MONEY!!!!

Dig Dug DX would be cool and all but Dig Dug 2 DX? Supreme!
V_Ben
(11-16-2010, 03:20 PM)
Goddamn it, that's just awesome :D
sixteen-bit
(11-16-2010, 03:21 PM)
over/under on Rally X DX?
Princess Skittles
Prince's's 'Skittle's
(11-16-2010, 03:22 PM)
I will buy every game released in this line.
MightyHedgehog
Welcome to the Wasteland.
I hope you're wearing your flak vest!
(11-16-2010, 03:31 PM)
Oooh...I hope Rolling Thunder is being looked at.
RPGCrazied
(11-16-2010, 03:32 PM)
And this is why we don't get localizations of Tales games, so they can do these? Ugh.
captmcblack
God-Tier ghetto pass
(11-16-2010, 03:32 PM)

Originally Posted by MightyHedgehog

Oooh...I hope Rolling Thunder is being looked at.

That would be guaranteed my money, instantly. Rolling Thunder > *.
Why would you do that?
(11-16-2010, 03:41 PM)

Originally Posted by RPGCrazied

And this is why we don't get localizations of Tales games, so they can do these? Ugh.

I am very angry at Namco as well, but I have to say, Galaga in Pac-Man CE style would be very, very awesome.

In fact, I was actually thinking about it yesterday... because of Galaga '88 (or '90), the best Galaga game.
Augemitbutter
(11-16-2010, 03:44 PM)

what? localization work has nothing to do with good remakes of classic games. i'm actually happy they do this.
NonexistentK
(11-16-2010, 03:46 PM)
Galaga Legions is one of the most underrated shmups of this gen. It has amazing visual design, excellent audio & solid gameplay. It's little bit on the short side & lack of gameplay options hurt its replayablility factor but nonetheless a great experience especially considering its price tag. Pacman CE is among the best downloadable games ever made & the Pacman CE DX looks like a sure fire hit. Dunno about Aero Cross but looks like more of the DXs from Namco, the better.
djSyndrome
(11-16-2010, 03:46 PM)

Originally Posted by Why would you do that?

I am very angry at Namco as well, but I have to say, Galaga in Pac-Man CE style would be very, very awesome.

They've already done this with Galaga Legions. The DX version is going to be an upgrade (and apparently available on PS3 as well)

In fact, I was actually thinking about it yesterday... because of Galaga '88 (or '90), the best Galaga game.

No love for Gaplus? :(
Princess Skittles
Prince's's 'Skittle's
(11-16-2010, 03:48 PM)

As much as I really love Tales, I'll take these over any Tales game by a thousand.

And yes, this is exactly why they're not localizing Tales games. rolleyes.gif
Here's to hoping that Namco will release Mappy DX and Dig Dug DX.

Although it's hard to imagine a fast Mappy and Dig Dug game since Pacman CE DX and Galaga Legions (DX) are faster and improved versions of the originals.
Kuroyume
Banned
(11-16-2010, 03:50 PM)
A sequel to Galaga Legions?! FUCK YES

Been wondering why they hadn't revealed a new game before Pacman CE DX was announced because I recall them teasing a new Galaga games a while ago. They're one of the best development teams in gaming.

Yeah, so they could do GOOD games.
Princess Skittles
Prince's's 'Skittle's
(11-16-2010, 04:06 PM)

Originally Posted by Kuroyume

A sequel to Galaga Legions?! FUCK YES

Been wondering why they hadn't revealed a new game before Pacman CE DX was announced because I recall them teasing a new Galaga games a while ago. They're one of the best development teams in gaming.

Did they actually ever tease anything of substance? All I recall was right after finishing Legions that they acknowledged it was closer to Gaplus than Galaga and that they had another idea or two for Galaga remakes that may be closer to Galga proper. Though I doubt Legions DX will be anything other than simply an update to Legions.
Stumpokapow
listen to the mad man
(11-16-2010, 04:08 PM)
How often can they announce "new projects" to "reinvigorate old franchises"? All of these franchises receive constant remakes and updates. Note that I have no problem with the remakes/updates, I just don't understand why they have to announce new "initiatives" or "projects" every year when it's clearly an ongoing thing that they do every year.

Same thing holds true for Atari and Taito.
Drkirby
Corporate Apologist
(11-16-2010, 04:12 PM)
Maybe to try and appeal to stock holders?
Aokage
Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
(11-16-2010, 04:19 PM)
I'm going to be tentatively excited. Walküre plz.
Kuroyume
Banned
(11-16-2010, 04:35 PM)

Originally Posted by Princess Skittles

Did they actually ever tease anything of substance? All I recall was right after finishing Legions that they acknowledged it was closer to Gaplus than Galaga and that they had another idea or two for Galaga remakes that may be closer to Galga proper. Though I doubt Legions DX will be anything other than simply an update to Legions.

No, that's the same interview I'm refering to.
Why would you do that?
(11-16-2010, 05:08 PM)

Originally Posted by djSyndrome

They've already done this with Galaga Legions. The DX version is going to be an upgrade (and apparently available on PS3 as well)

No love for Gaplus? :(

Oh... I've never heard of Legions. :( I'm gonna have to check it out.

Also, Gaplus, while awesome (I almost mentioned it in my post), isn't Galaga '88. Plus, it's way too hard if you happen to not have any ships.
ShortBus
(11-16-2010, 05:14 PM)
Exactly what i've been wanting Namco to do.

Hell has frozen over.

Edit: Oh,and add more games to the Namco Museum on PSN.
Last edited by ShortBus; 11-16-2010 at 05:24 PM.
Princess Skittles
Prince's's 'Skittle's
(11-16-2010, 05:32 PM)

Originally Posted by ShortBus

Exactly what i've been wanting Namco to do.

I swear this is what they said they were going to do way back with Pac-Man CE/Galaga Legions (a neo-classic remake once a year).. I'm extremely excited it's still happening and now it's got a branding and all, but I'm extremely curious what caused the two year gap and the reintroduction bringing DX versions of the first two games already. My guess, at least for the DX aspect, has to do with PSN.
Space A Cobra
(11-16-2010, 05:35 PM)
I loved Galaga Legions. I'll definitely get this DX version.
Hunahan
Banned
(11-16-2010, 05:45 PM)

Galaga Legions DX

f'n nice.

AeroCross

......weird.

Also, add a vote for Rolling Thunder DX to whatever scorecard has started, please.
PepsimanVsJoe
(11-16-2010, 05:52 PM)
Sega needs to step up now.
Konami too.
Capcom? Well they'd probably fuck it up with some outside-developers.
hikarutilmitt
(11-16-2010, 05:54 PM)

Originally Posted by Aokage

Came to post this. Want++
twinturbo2
butthurt Heat fan
(11-16-2010, 06:11 PM)

Originally Posted by Aokage

I was thinking about that, I've seen some YouTube playthroughs and that would be nice.

Come to think of it, I'd like a new Pole Position, don't know why.
Hunahan
Banned
(11-16-2010, 06:35 PM)

Originally Posted by PepsimanVsJoe

Sega needs to step up now.
Konami too.
Capcom? Well they'd probably fuck it up with some outside-developers.

Sega should be absolutely dominating this scene. I still think this is one of the biggest missed opportunities of the generation.

Konami just bet on the wrong horse. At this point I think it's obvious that WiiWare isn't a big moneymaker. Their half-assed remix projects aren't going to cut it either way, though. Whole company seems lazy unless Kojima is involved.

Capcom is still doing great, though. Sure, they fucked up a few (WOTB3, 19xx), but nailed it with others (MM9, Bionic Commando, HDR)....overall, I still think they're the ones to beat for Japanese retro-arcade love.
Heh, if Konami did something like this, I'd love to see a Gradius DX, Parodius DX, and Twin Bee DX.
Shig
Strap on your hooker ...
(11-16-2010, 06:42 PM)

Originally Posted by twinturbo2

Come to think of it, I'd like a new Pole Position, don't know why.

I think it'd be pretty great if they stuck with the sorta 'vector graphics rave' look of PMCE/GL and applied it to games that you wouldn't normally associate with the style. A Pole Position or Ridge Racer that looks like a cousin to Rez could be pretty amazing.
RoryDropkick
(11-16-2010, 07:18 PM)
I would love to see a new Dragon Spirit/Saber, Galaga 88 or Gaplus, and a new ASSAULT.
GhaleonQ
(11-16-2010, 07:46 PM)
I've been a big fan of Taito's, a moderate fan of Konami's, and disliked Capcom's. Let's see what Namco can do!
twinturbo2
butthurt Heat fan
(11-16-2010, 09:44 PM)

Originally Posted by Shig

I think it'd be pretty great if they stuck with the sorta 'vector graphics rave' look of PMCE/GL and applied it to games that you wouldn't normally associate with the style. A Pole Position or Ridge Racer that looks like a cousin to Rez could be pretty amazing.

That would make my eyes bleed. Something like the Pole Position iPhone game, but better, would be nice.
DiscoJer
(11-16-2010, 09:52 PM)
At first I was excited, then I saw it was Galaga Legions, not Galaga. Argh, I hated that game, nothing at all like the original.
Trakdown
(11-17-2010, 12:21 AM)
....AeroCross? Really?

Can't say I'm interested, but Legions DX might be worth a look.
Princess Skittles
Prince's's 'Skittle's
(11-18-2010, 05:28 PM)
I think some of the classic are just assumed, but Namco has a rich history of obscure arcade hits too.

I'd love to see updates to Dragon Buster, Tower of Druaga, Legend of Valkyire, etc.
teruterubozu
(11-18-2010, 05:30 PM)
Please, new Xevious!

Originally Posted by Princess Skittles

I think some of the classic are just assumed, but Namco has a rich history of obscure arcade hits too.

I'd love to see updates to Dragon Buster, Tower of Druaga, Legend of Valkyire, etc.

Well....
Brobzoid
how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
(11-18-2010, 05:36 PM)
Metro Cross given the pacman CE DX treatment could be awesome as fuck. Real excited about this, hopefully namco doesn't fuck it up. :I