• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 Photo Sharing Thread

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
photothread5new.JPG

Many Thanks to...
Spats, thread would not be what it is without his contributions. Goldrusher for the consultation and GT5 Official Thread. Metalmurphy for the GT5 Racing League and imgur tutorial.

This thread will gradually improve as more information is available and dissected.

rules.PNG

Spare us all of any trolling or just posting to laugh or be less than obvious of your lack of interest in this game. Be civil and respectful. Be constructive with your comments. This is meant to be fun, not a constant back and forth.

When posting photos, please re-size to a respectable resolution for sharing with the thread. No raw (full resolution) captures. You may link a thumbnail for a small preview of said photo.

No imageshack hosted photos please.

Imagehosts so you don't get yourself banned by hosting from blacklisted sites.

You can upload screen shots directly from the PS3 via the Photo Album app to Facebook or Picasa

Please describe whether or not the photo is 2D or 3D and provide alternate links of your 3D works (if applicable). This is mainly for when posting 3D captures or higher resolution alternates.

NeoGAF - Post Image Re-size script. No more huge image problems. You should follow the posting guidelines at all times, regardless of said tips.​

Here is a small guide for those wanting to resize and properly link photos or thumbnails.

1.Go to imgur

2.Click Browse to upload your pictures (you can choose multiple pictures and then upload them all at the same time)

3.Go to More Sizes and choose either you want a large thumbnail or a small one, if you uploaded multiple pictures you can also swich between them here.

4.After you chose the thumbnail size, copy/paste the appropriate code in the forum. You'll need to do this for all the images.

5.Recommended format for uploading several pictures:
[LARGE THUMBNAIL]
[SMALL][SMALL] ...
[LARGE THUMBNAIL]​

gettingstarted.PNG

Programs for resizing photos include Picasa, InfranView, and Photoshop.

Video editing software like Avidemux, RaceRender Video Processor , Windows Live Movie Maker, or Adobe Premiere.

For data transfer; you may use devices such as memory sticks/SD cards for earlier PS3 models.

Almost any mass storage USB device works as well.

modes.PNG

Race Mode
Lets you use a virtual camera to photograph cars that are racing on the tracks, letting you make your own action shots. After selecting your position you'll see the camera's finder mode, which lets you do everything a real camera could do. In this screen you can focus, tilt, and zoom. You'll see that the shutter speed and aperture are displayed at the bottom of your viewfinder. There's an auto mode, but you can also adjust all functions manually, just like a real camera.

Photo Travel Mode
Dedicated stages where you can walk around and select a point to photograph cars. The idea behind this is to simulate being able to take your car to scenic locations to take shots.

Walking Mode
While in walking mode, you are free to look around by using the analog controls for movement. You'll have the option to move to several preset shots in the city, playing with position and angles for dynamic shots. After finding your favorite spot, you can walk around to find the best angle for the photograph.​

locations.PNG

THIS LIST IS NOT FINAL

austrian_small.png
Austria

Salzburg - Red Bull Hangar-7
french_small.png
France

Track

Circuit de la Sarthe (Le Mans)
Chamonix​

german_small.png
Germany

Nürburg - castle ruins
Bad Neuenahr-Ahrweiler - various locations (Niedertor, Lenné-Park, Niederhutstraße, Hotel zum Stern)

Track

Nürburgring​

italian_small.png
Italy

San Gimignano - town square
Chiusdino - Abbazia di San Galgano
Siena - Piazza del Campo

Track

Autodromo Nazionale Monza
Rome
Siena - Piazzo del Campo
Toscana (Val d'Orcia)​

japanese_small.png
Japan

Kyoto - Gion
Kamakura - Shakado Pass
Tokyo - ...

Track

Fuji Speedway
Suzuka Circuit
Tsukuba Circuit
Tokyo R246​

monaco_small.png
Monaco

Track

Monaco​

gt_small.png
Polyphony Digital

Track

Autumn Ring
Cape Ring
Deep Forest Raceway
Grand Valley Speedway
High Speed Ring
Special Stage Route 5
Special Stage Route 7
Trial Mountain Circuit
spanish_small.png
Spain

Track

Madrid​

swiss_small.png
Switzerland

Bern - Marktgasse
Lucerne - Kapellbrücke

Track

Eiger Nordwand (Kleine Scheidegg)​

uk_small.png
United Kingdom

Track

Top Gear Test Track
London​

usa_small.png
United States

Track

Daytona International Speedway
Indianapolis Motor Speedway
Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca​

TBD
parking garage
docks, port
empty warehouse
black room
wind tunnel​

videos.PNG

Gran Turismo 5 lets you upload videos via the built in Youtube upload functionality. Feel free to share your creations here.

basicsandtips.PNG

Focus
The adjustment to place the sharpest focus where it is desired on the subject.

Aperture
Adjustment of the lens opening, measured as f-number, which controls the amount of light passing through the lens. Aperture also has an effect on depth of field and diffraction – the higher the f-number, the smaller the opening, the less light, the greater the depth of field, and the more the diffraction blur. The focal length divided by the f-number gives the effective aperture diameter.

Shutter Speed
Adjustment of the speed (often expressed either as fractions of seconds or as an angle, with mechanical shutters) of the shutter to control the amount of time during which the imaging medium is exposed to light for each exposure. Shutter speed may be used to control the amount of light striking the image plane; 'faster' shutter speeds (that is, those of shorter duration) decrease both the amount of light and the amount of image blurring from motion of the subject and/or camera.

White Balance
On digital cameras, electronic compensation for the color temperature associated with a given set of lighting conditions, ensuring that white light is registered as such on the imaging chip and therefore that the colors in the frame will appear natural. On mechanical, film-based cameras, this function is served by the operator's choice of film stock or with color correction filters. In addition to using white balance to register natural coloration of the image, photographers may employ white balance to aesthetic end, for example white balancing to a blue object in order to obtain a warm color temperature.

Metering
Measurement of exposure so that highlights and shadows are exposed according to the photographer's wishes. Many modern cameras meter and set exposure automatically. Before automatic exposure, correct exposure was accomplished with the use of a separate light metering device or by the photographer's knowledge and experience of gauging correct settings. To translate the amount of light into a usable aperture and shutter speed, the meter needs to adjust for the sensitivity of the film or sensor to light. This is done by setting the "film speed" or ISO sensitivity into the meter.

ISO Speed
Traditionally used to "tell the camera" the film speed of the selected film on film cameras, ISO speeds are employed on modern digital cameras as an indication of the system's gain from light to numerical output and to control the automatic exposure system. The higher the ISO number the greater the film sensitivity to light, whereas with a lower ISO number, the film is less sensitive to light. A correct combination of ISO speed, aperture, and shutter speed leads to an image that is neither too dark nor too light, hence it is 'correctly exposed,' indicated by a centered meter.

Auto-focus Point
On some cameras, the selection of a point in the imaging frame upon which the auto-focus system will attempt to focus. Many Single-lens reflex cameras (SLR) feature multiple auto-focus points in the viewfinder.​

Focus on Subject

The subject of your photograph is the most important part of the picture—it may be a person or a spectacular part of the scenery. This is where you want the viewer’s eyes to focus and you can do this through some simple techniques.

A busy or distracting background will draw attention away from the subject. When you take a picture, look at the entire viewfinder and not just the subject. Ensure there isn’t a tree growing from someone’s head or something distracting going on in the background. A plain background tends to show off the subject.

Make sure your subject is in focus. This is especially important if your subject isn’t in the center of your picture. Point and click cameras focus on whatever is in the center of the viewfinder. If your subject is off to one side, you’ll have to lock the focus on your subject then reposition the camera so the subject is off–center.

Position Subject

The subject is the most important aspect of your photograph, but doesn’t always have to be in the center of the photo. Sometimes you can add dramatic effects to your picture simply by shifting the subject to one side or the other. Play with your pictures and see how repositioning the camera slightly can alter the image. Don’t be afraid to get close to your subjects. Another tip—get down to the level of your subject. This means bending down to photograph from a lower angle. This will make your photos more personable.

Sometimes tipping your camera on its side to take a vertical picture can improve the quality of the photo. Tall subjects can fill a vertical frame much better than a horizontal frame.​

collage1.PNG

UFRA

Lord Error said:
Please post that in high res!

I just stole that from the GT5 OT to get the ball rolling here. It's from GT Planet so I don't have the actual source of the photo.

LiquidMetal14

Being that people haven't fully dissected the game, I don't expect the full breadth of what the game can do in regards to photo captures just yet. I want to see some higher res caps though.

LiquidMetal14

bathala said:
I'm guessing weather customization can be use on this mode?
We don't know yet but temper your hopes. We can do lots as it is but until we have the game, we just won't know. The more surprises the better.

UFRA

For those of us who own cars that are in GT5, one thing that could be fun is taking a picture of the car in-game in the same position as we have a picture of it in real life and then post both pics here. Just a cool way to showcase the game's graphics and accurate car models.

I'm definitely going to do this with my Crossfire. :D

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
UFRA said:
I just stole that from the GT5 OT to get the ball rolling here. It's from GT Planet so I don't have the actual source of the photo.
Holy crap at some of the stuff they have there. Too bad it's all in that same walpaper unfriendly resolution

LiquidMetal14

And please don't forget, rehost any imageshack images and resize! Post the link/s to the higher res caps though. Thanks!

UFRA said:
Maybe you should bold that first rule lol.
So true :)

Firewire

Banned
LiquidMetal14 said:
Firewire, great cap but please resize/repost and link the full resolution shot please :)

She okay now? Sorry I missed that rule :(

Took it from 3840/2160 px to 1200/675 px.

Insertia

I find it odd that I'm looking forward to photo mode so much...but this game is so gorgeous that I'll probably spend more time with this mode than I do most games.

LiquidMetal14

Firewire said:
She okay now? Sorry I missed that rule :(

Took it from 3840/2160 px to 1200/675 px.
Doesn't stretch the thread any farther to the right so we're good to go. Thanks :)

LiquidMetal14

Mik2121 said:
Wait wait, people already got this game??

I thought the release date was still like a week or two away?
Some do have the game in preview/review/stolen? form. We are already getting caps. Maybe not to the full extent (3d, higher res, etc.) but we're already getting some.

I approve of Cigol way of posting.

Everyone should use thumbnails linking to the full sized one.

If you are hosting on imgur it's really easy, just add an "s" or "l" to the image.

[ URL=http:/host.com/PICTURENAME.jpg[ IMG]http:/host.com/PICTURENAMEs.jpg[ /IMG][ /URL]

AndyD

aka andydumi
LiquidMetal14 said:
Thanks! Added to the OP. Hopefully everyone follows the guidelines but it's nice to have just incase.

Also add a link to the official GAF image hosts thread and banned hosts as well.

Iknos

Good job LiquidMetal you just forgot one thing for the viewers of the thread.

bounty-paper-towels.jpg

I suggest Bounty paper towels for cleaning off your monitor and/or keyboard. Absorbant and doesn't leave any streaks.

Bebpo

Banned
What's crazy is how many of this pictures, if you just showed them to some random guy on the street, they wouldn't even bat an eye thinking these were real photos.

Top Bottom