• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arc the Lad II and Arc Arena on PSN 11.23.2010, $5.99 / $8.99 bundle

klee123

The Arc the lad series is perhaps one of the few notable Sony rpg series I've ignored during the height of its popularity. I'll probably get these and copy them all to my PSP go to play through them all at once.

I did that with lunar 1 and 2 nearly 10 years ago and spent a whole month just playing the 2 games. Good times.

Mikhal

I remember the day I went into my EB Games to pick up my Arc the Lad preorder. The guys behind the counter said there weren't enough pocket watches so they didn't have any left for me. I was so sad that I went next door to Sears and bought myself the coolest watch they had to fill the void, a $100 Timex 90102 with a built-in pager. In hindsight, those bastards were probably lying to me and I should have knocked over some magazine racks till I received my damn pocket watch! :lol

I don't have much to say about Arc the Lad 2 since I never played it. I had a great time with the first one though until my save file got deleted. At that point, I didn't want to start over or go straight to 2 so I ended up shelving it. I've been meaning to go back to it one day though...

iclash

I was actually working at an Electronics Boutique when this collection was released. I remember my boss making fun of me for pre-ordering an 80$ psx game that she was sure was never coming out. I cut out of work early and played straight through arc 1 in 2 days, even completing the 50 level dungeon. Best memory from the series is the meeting of Shu and Tosh in Arc 2, my two favorite characters. Shu goes into a bar and doesn't realize Tosh is sitting in the corner, eavesdropping. The weird thing, is that I never got the watch, even though I worked at the store.

edit: it's probably premature, but as long as we are discussing bringing over unreleased ps1 games, Growlanser I please.

Seventy5

Awesome, I'll be picking these up. I played Twilight of the Spirits and End of Darkness on PS2 (EoD was baaaad) and I always wanted to go play the originals but I haven't seen the collection for a reasonable price ever. Please keep the old stuff coming!

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
If Arc I truly is a 10 hour game I think I'll buy it sight unseen, love me some brisk RPG love.

And of course, maybe that'll lead into an Arc II purchase.

Edit: Maybe I should just buy 'em all to put my dollars into a potential "unlocalized" pool.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Princess Skittles said:
If Arc I truly is a 10 hour game I think I'll buy it sight unseen, love me some brisk RPG love.

And of course, maybe that'll lead into an Arc II purchase.

Edit: Maybe I should just buy 'em all to put my dollars into a potential "unlocalized" pool.

You should buy them anyway because they're decent games. I'm going through Arc 1 right now and while the translation is a bit aged and had to fit within memory limits (age of pre-Atlus-being-good) it's passable and a decent translation with pretty fun gameplay to boot.

Will buy. Always wanted the Arc Collection and never got around to getting it.

Ledsen said:
:lol I'd forgotten about those. The top freebie has to be Lucia's Pendant though, I wore that sumbitch in school and got compliments on it! :lol

I wore that in middle school so much that gold part started to look kind of tarnished. Best freebie ever.

vireland

Todays winner of an Arc II and Arc Arena download code is: RPGCrazied.

Nice post with a picture to boot! He gets the two codes and is now in the drawing for the rare Choko pocketwatch also.

You guys are making this harder as the days progress because there are some really good posts here! Keep it up...

RPGCrazied

vireland said:
Todays winner of an Arc II and Arc Arena download code is: RPGCrazied.

Nice post with a picture to boot! He gets the two codes and is now in the drawing for the rare Choko pocketwatch also.

You guys are making this harder as the days progress because there are some really good posts here! Keep it up...

Thank you ever so much. :) I'll have a blast replaying these games from my childhood.

TheSeks

You guys weren't kidding about how short Arc 1 is. I'm not even two hours in and I'm leaving the Kingdom that summoned me to fly to another nation.

I'm more worried about being under level than I am the shortness, though.

vireland

TheSeks said:
You guys weren't kidding about how short Arc 1 is. I'm not even two hours in and I'm leaving the Kingdom that summoned me to fly to another nation.

I'm more worried about being under level than I am the shortness, though.

Maybe 1/4 of the total length from Arc I is in getting that special summon at the bottom of the 50 level dungeon you NEED for Arc II. Since you have to do it in one shot without dying, it can take a few hours just for that. Because the storyline it opens when you import the save with the Summon in Arc II is so awesome, I highly recommend anyone playing Arc take the time to do it.

gaohx

I'm in the spirit....here is my Arc collection........

ArcCollection.jpg

Yeah, yeah, a few items are still wrapped....just love the music Andoh composed in Arc I-III.

RPGCrazied

gaohx said:

ArcCollection.jpg

Yeah, yeah, a few items are still wrapped....just love the music Andoh composed in Arc I-III.

Nice!! :) I wish I had all that stuff. I didn't know that even made those soundtracks. Thanks for the photo.

Is that art in the OP original Arc the Lad art? I remember seeing it in Gamefan back in the day and assuming it was done in house by their artist. It's got that same airbrush look to it.

gaohx

RPGCrazied said:
Nice!! :) I wish I had all that stuff. I didn't know that even made those soundtracks. Thanks for the photo.

No problem.....glad to share the Arc love. If someone ever did try to hunt down the music, just be careful as the one entitled "Arc the Lad Original Game Sound Track" is not truly the OST for Arc I.....it has arranged music, but not all the music from it....hunt down "Arc the Lad Soundtrack Complete" as that has both Arc I and the awesome II's complete soundtrack on 2 CD's.

Admittedly, I bought a SwanCrystal back in the day just to play the Arc game that came out on it. Arc II is still my fav of the entire series, though.

TheSeks

vireland said:
Maybe 1/4 of the total length from Arc I is in getting that special summon at the bottom of the 50 level dungeon you NEED for Arc II. Since you have to do it in one shot without dying, it can take a few hours just for that. Because the storyline it opens when you import the save with the Summon in Arc II is so awesome, I highly recommend anyone playing Arc take the time to do it.

Woah, you had to do the dungeon in one shot to get extra-storylines in Arc 2? That's kinda crazy. I don't see any stores in this (unlike other J/SRPG's), so how the hell do you restore your MP in that dungeon if that's the case? o_O

Ninja Scooter said:
Is that art in the OP original Arc the Lad art?

Yeah, it's the original artwork by G-Craft (the developers).

vireland

TheSeks said:
Woah, you had to do the dungeon in one shot to get extra-storylines in Arc 2? That's kinda crazy. I don't see any stores in this (unlike other J/SRPG's), so how the hell do you restore your MP in that dungeon if that's the case? o_O

Some of the maps you can revisit at any time have monsters that are generous with dropping one type of item or another. You go to the specific area that has monsters with the drops you want and fight a few battles to stock up. And you want to make sure you're stocked and leveled okay because it *really* sucks to get to level 50 in the dungeon and die in that mini boss fight. Really. Sucks. Personal experience. :)

vireland

gaohx said:
Admittedly, I bought a SwanCrystal back in the day just to play the Arc game that came out on it. Arc II is still my fav of the entire series, though.

Funny you should mention that version. I have a crystal Wonderswan with Arc not two feet away as I type this!

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
gaohx said:

ArcCollection.jpg

Niiice, the Wonderswan game... how is the game? I heard it's a spinoff of Arc 2, but there's not a lot of English info/impressions about the game.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Christ I didn't even know there was a WS Arc!

It's too bad you can't add any other stuff like you used to, Vic...

PUNCHING PUPPET GHALEON FTW!

vireland

Winner of today's Arc II and Arc Arena PSN download codes is: Mikhal.

A heartwrenching almost haiku-like tale that spanned the gamut of EB cluelessness to memory card erasure to pocket watch denial was just too good to resist.

Enjoy the games, Mikhal! You're entered for the Choko watch drawing, too.

There really are a bunch I have my eye on in this thread with great posts, so keep up the great work.

KariOhki

Neo Member
In 2002 when this collection came out, I was in the middle of doing a genre shift from mostly platform/adventure games to RPGs. So the Arc the Lad release went over my head since I was just picking up Lunar for the first time. Besides, being in middle school I'm sure arguing for a $80 set of games would've gone nowhere, especially a spring release! I was able to convince my mom to get Growlanser Generations for Christmas two years later, I still wear that ring weapon necklace to this day.

But anyway, I've always been interested in going back through the times and playing all the old Working Designs releases :D

noquarter

Alright, since no one else is taking a shot and the thread was lost, here's my crappy Arc the Lad story. Edit: nevermind, google took me to an older thread date, my bad.

When the games were coming out for the PS1 I remember being really excited. Back then I used to preorder almost all the RPG's that came out and weren't Square, so I went to Babbages and put $20 on the Collection. I kept going back and checking the release date and for some reason they seemed to be making up dates, instead of just saying it is expected they would say "out next week." Well after a month or two of the BS I pulled my reserve, figuring I would be able to get it anyways. Bad move. The PS2 craze got me and when the game finally came out I had no money for the collection. By the time I saved up it was gone :(

So thanks Mr. Ireland for giving me another chance to play these games. Started the first and am looking forward to finishing it soon so I can get to the, at least from everyone on here, even better second one.

Rothgil

Neo Member
I'm really excited to see these games released on PSN. Back in the day seeing this sort of game in stock at the local store was a real rarity (didn't live in the mainland US those years, stores received US games though). Saved my allowance for months to afford it only to find it sold out and never restocked after that.

Gonna pick these up and and finally play them after wanting to for years.

Josh7289

I'll tell you watch interests me most. It's the game. The fighting is just and the men are strong. I spoke once to a man who came from the underground. He said, "Give me salt." I traded him salt for his rocks. His rocks from the underground. I traded them and he gave me a stern look. "I'll have no more or your fits, mister." And he locked me up in the brig. I passed a keg of rum around to each of the other members and we laughed and drank heartily. It was a fine evening. When morning came, we set sail. To where, we did not know. It was the beginning of our new future.

vireland

Winner of an Arc II and an Arc Arena PSN download code today is: djtiesto !

They're also entered in the drawing for the Choko watch now.

We only have a couple days left, but don't lose heart. I'm still reading the posts about your favorite Arc II moments, or what you're most looking forward to if you never got to play it. Keep posting and make these decisions even harder!

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I never played these because I never had an original PlayStation and by the time the PS2 came out, I was more interested in PS2 games than going backwards in time, sans games like Final Fantasy VII, VIII and IX. It doesn't help that I wasn't really aware of RPGs as a genre much at all back then either :lol Now that I'm older though, I've definitely gone back and revisited/started collecting a bunch of stuff that I miss... and with a lot of the worthwhile ones up for a reasonable price on PSN, it makes things a lot easier than trying to track down a hard copy. I picked up Arc 1 and Alundra and have yet to play them, but I'll gladly support more efforts like those in order to see more in the future.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Thanks, Vic! Will definitely have to give this game a play again on PSN. It's fantastic that a lot more people will be getting the chance to play the Arc games again, but also kinda sad they will miss out on the absolutely incredible strategy guide for Arc 1 and 2. Easily the best guide ever in the history of gaming.

Ledsen

djtiesto said:
Thanks, Vic! Will definitely have to give this game a play again on PSN. It's fantastic that a lot more people will be getting the chance to play the Arc games again, but also kinda sad they will miss out on the absolutely incredible strategy guide for Arc 1 and 2. Easily the best guide ever in the history of gaming.

You haven't seen the Bayonetta guide, have you...

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
I was always curious about these games so I bough part 1 and beat it this weekend.

14 hours, lv. 50 completed, ready for part 2!

Fun little game, I enjoyed the severe lack of BS :lol

gaohx

Since many are talking about launch stories......

.....as you may have seen in an earlier pic, I have the Japanese versions of Arc I and II along with WD's compilation ......loved Playstation imports back in the day and was SOOOOO pumped as I saw more info on the Arc series in the Japanese gaming mags/GameFan....keep in mind, my knowlegde of Japanese is minimal at best.

After importing the first Arc, I was justified in my purcahse as I just loved it language barrier and all.....but that was just a taste of what was to come. Arc II was that much better, but I stopped, oh, about halfway through it for some reason or another (not sure if there was any "gaijin protection" as they called it or just really was getting lost in what was happening/going on)......was stoked obviously when I found out Working Designs was bringing it to the US. For whatever reason, I did not pre-order it (missed out on a watch..DOH!) and forgot about it for several months (got pre-occupied with something else in life...blasphemy!).

Well, I saw the WD Arc compilation in Best Buy about 6 months after release all pristine and for like only $30.....I passed again as I was short on the funds at the time (another DOH!).....resorted to eBay when I finally remembered about it again several months later and luckily got a good deal for one in great shape....all extra bonuses still included.

Needless to say, I finally played Arc II in English all the way through and it certainly filled in some story gaps to say the least :p Just an EPIC game in my opinion.

jorgeton

I'm so glad to see these games get re-released on the PSN. I still have the Arc The Lad collection and all the trinkets it came with, but it's nice to be able play these on the PSP while watching the Real Housewives of Atlanta. I bought this collection way back when and pretty much rushed through Arc the Lad 1 over a saturday to get to the crown jewel of the collection, Arc the Lad 2. That is one mighty great RPG. Arc the Lad 3 wasn't so bad either, but 2 was pretty much worth the price of the whole box set.

vireland

The winner of an Arc II and an Arc Arena PSN download code today is: PetriP-TNT !

They're also entered in the watch drawing for the super-rare Choko watch.

There's one more drawing tomorrow and therefore one more shot at the Choko watch drawing and codes, so keep posting!

TheSeks

Nooo! I must finish Arc 1 before tomorrow so I can win a code!

*Goku training montage.gif*

Christopher

I mean I can't really give a whole page essay or compelling reason to play this game other than Working Designs has had me in the palm of their hand since Lunar 1 and 2 and I was so dissapoited since you guys gave up the sereis :(

Would love to play another WD classic :D

TheSeks

Oh, man... the software manual in Arc 1 reeks of 90's.

"Can revive anyone (except Kukuru, DUH!) you choose."
"Allows everyone to face the same direction as Poco. Useful... NOT!"

Oh, lord. How far some translations have come since those days. :lol

I've had my first exposure to Arc this week and the translation has tons of charm, which compliments the game. The animations and voice clips ooze charm as well.

eternalb

Sadly, my fondest memories of Arc the Lad II are lost in translation.

See, when the Saturn saw its final gem (MKR), the only thing left that was sustaining my gaming libido was import gaming. This love for games that I would never see stateside lead me to the next inevitable step, buy a PSX and get good at swapping discs.

After seeing the glorious spreads in GameFan mag for both Arc I and II, I knew what the first games that I was going to order from the back of the mag were.

The lush and charming visuals blew me away and made me scratch my head in bewilderment as to why Sony was so anti 2D. Unfortunately the story never made any sense to me as I can't read a lick of Japanese. So I was forced to make up my own plot (which in the mind of a sixteen your old was probably a tad on the perverted side).

When WD finally announced that all 3 games in the series were coming out for the PSX a few years later I was pretty stoked. Finally I was going to know what the heck was going on. But luck wasn't on my side and I missed the pre-order window at my local EB (it also didn't help to that I was broke from not living at home anymore).

As I stare at the ridiculous Ebay bids for this game I still to this day wonder what the heck is going on...

Thanks Vic for getting these out.

heres my story from arc 1.

i was finishing up the game and wanted to get choco to import into arc 2. i decide to take a crack at the 50 level dungeon and end up getting about 30 floors down when it starts storming pretty heavily outside. i love in a rural area so we often have power outages during storm season. i make it down to floor 50, beat choco by the skin of my teeth and the storm has worked itself up into a frenzy by now. at this point i just start making a mad dash for the stairs on each level. my sister was playing the game on a different file, so she was watching me play the dungeon to see how much trouble it would be and if it'd be worth it.

here i am going straight to the stairs, trying frantically to get back out of the dungeon and save. i get to floor 4 and the power goes out. at this point we're just sitting in the dark. i couldn't even speak.

took me a few weeks to work up the motivation to play the dungeon again and i finally got my choco.

good times, good times.

then i imported into arc 2 and immediately missed the old cast.

Machine

I will be double dipping on Arc 2 as I did for Arc 1. I bought the collection when it was first released in the US and played all the way through 1. For some reason, I stopped about halfway through 2, put the collection away, and never touched it again. It's been so long I can't remember why but I will blame it on my disappointment with getting Poco on my pocket watch since he was probably my least favorite character. Anyone want to trade?

RPGCrazied

I just bought the first game on PSN, since I want play it before I do the 2nd game. Thanks again Vic. :) My originals are like boxed up somewhere, nice to know I can play these without having to locate them.

Top Bottom