• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Tashi0106 said:
Awesome avatar. PLANK!
Thanks. <3

ThLzB.png

Butane123

I spend way too much time forging on just one map. Just now to the stage of tweaking my 2nd one, and I still got like 3 or 4 more I want to start.

Striker

Butane123 said:
I spend way too much time forging on just one map. Just now to the stage of tweaking my 2nd one, and I still got like 3 or 4 more I want to start.
I think I've finished with my asymmetrical map.

Though with a lack of large, empty spaces that aren't hilly, I'm might be going for another 4v4-ish one sided map again. I guess I love me some 1-flag/1-bomb. :p

Would surely wish to get another Forge World...

Butane123 said:
I think I have about nine unfinished maps lying around. ><

Nutter

Ah customs, I remember when I used to make the new juniors and young halo gaf rage quit, because they couldnt kill me. LOL

Too bad the "crew" is not part of this anymore.

Gui_PT

Barrow Roll said:
lol vhfive would take a stick up the butt in stride. <3

You don't know what it was like! =(

It was still fun though. If we had more needler, Dax would've carried us fo' sho'. Maybe next time.

Untracked

Blue Ninja said:
I think I have about nine unfinished maps lying around. ><
I still have a few maps that are "in progress" that I know I'll never finish. Sometimes they'd just get the better of me and I'd give up / rage quit.
I persisted with my Colossus and Containment remakes till they were as good as I could get them, but they were my last. My god, the stress was too much! D:

Gui_PT said:
You don't know what it was like! =(

It was still fun though. If we had more needler, Dax would've carried us fo' sho'. Maybe next time.
Excuses man, I rape with the Plasma Repeater with unlimited fire on. SUPER BLOOM.

Untracked said:
I still have a few maps that are "in progress" that I know I'll never finish. Sometimes they'd just get the better of me and I'd give up / rage quit.
I persisted with my Colossus and Containment remakes till they were as good as I could get them, but they were my last. My god, the stress was too much! D:
I did a writeup of some of the maps I had about a month ago. In that time, I started working on Deluge, Testament and a new version of Shrine. Reqiuem, which as basically another version of Monolith, also passed the revue, but was tried and found wanting. I might go back and finish Concavity first, though. Or maybe Cascade. Someday.

Untracked

Blue Ninja said:
I did a writeup of some of the maps I had about a month ago. In that time, I started working on Deluge, Testament and a new version of Shrine. Reqiuem, which as basically another version of Monolith, also passed the revue, but was tried and found wanting. I might go back and finish Concavity first, though. Or maybe Cascade. Someday.
You've got some nice ideas there, Shrine sounds interesting. Invasion was the one gametype I refused to go near.
I read some guides about building Invasion maps but it seemed far too complicated for my tiny mind. I had enough stress just building the maps.
Worrying about Invasion elements, spawn points, objectives, labeling etc would have pushed me over the edge :)

Barrow Roll said:
Excuses man, I rape with the Plasma Repeater with unlimited fire on. SUPER BLOOM.

No joke, I saw a player who had Plasma Repeater as his tool of destruction. His stats were actually pretty decent aswell, a 1.5 K/D and he was a fairly high rank proving that he didnt just get it by playing with it for a bit - hes actually dedicated to using the thing lol:

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/CareerStats/weapons.aspx?player=Technobrats

There was a thread on Bungie.net about this guy - some said he probably boosted, if not though thats pretty crazy.

Gui_PT said:
You're on! I challenge you to Unlimited Plasma Repeater duel on Hemorrhage!

You suck Gui! Armour Lock 1v1 right now!

Going home for the weekend really messes up my ability to keep up with HaloGaf.

Great news about Shishka and I am pleasantly surrised by 343's teeming enthusiasm.

I missed customs last night which was a shame.

About that helmet:343 came out and said outright that the Defiant mappack came with none of the jazz that all hose rumours had. They said just that. Now, call me crazy, call me what you want, but I read that as saying "Nothin extra is coming with the mappack however we have not stated anything in regards to any future DLC/update/some medium of getting content that is not the Defiant pack." They could have been a lot more direct in their statement but they focused entirely in on the defiant mappack. It would be wrong to imply that 343 said there will be no helmets/stuff/etc.

Hydranockz said:
Going home for the weekend really messes up my ability to keep up with HaloGaf.

Great news about Shishka and I am pleasantly surrised by 343's teeming enthusiasm.

I missed customs last night which was a shame.

About that helmet:343 came out and said outright that the Defiant mappack came with none of the jazz that all hose rumours had. They said just that. Now, call me crazy, call me what you want, but I read that as saying "Nothin extra is coming with the mappack however we have not stated anything in regards to any future DLC/update/some medium of getting content that is not the Defiant pack." They could have been a lot more direct in their statement but they focused entirely in on the defiant mappack. It would be wrong to imply that 343 said there will be no helmets/stuff/etc.

In that specific interview it really did look like Frankie had more to say. Either he was biting his tongue because they have something special planned or he was stopping himself from calling people idiots :p - who knows.

bobs99 ... said:
In that specific interview it really did look like Frankie had more to say. Either he was biting his tongue because they have something special planned or he was stopping himself from calling people idiots :p - who knows.
Well that's the thing, there probably was more to say, but embargoes and general hype rules dictate that the minimum will be said at all times :p

feel

Nutter said:
Ah customs, I remember when I used to make the new juniors and young halo gaf rage quit, because they couldnt kill me. LOL
fuck I remember raging at your host, good times

I miss playing with gaf and when I see everyone here talking about customs I always consider putting the reach disc in and joining in, but I don't know, in the end I just go blah, and play something else.. :/ Maybe when halogaf is over the phase where they keep using customs as an opportunity to test all kinds of crap, and just play really solid stuff one after another.

bobs99 ... said:
"We will be rereleasing Halo: Combat Evolved in the Reach engine, with Armor Lock taking center stage as the Master Chief's main armor ability. We will include a second disc which features the entire multiplayer experience of Halo Reach, including several types of new armors on the disc."

Actually, when I think about it, that second one doesn't seem too bad.

MrBig

Letters said:
fuck I remember raging at your host, good times

I miss playing with gaf and when I see everyone here talking about customs I always consider putting the reach disc in and joining in, but I don't know, in the end I just go blah, and play something else.. :/ Maybe when halogaf is over the phase where they keep using customs as an opportunity to test all kinds of crap, and just play really solid stuff one after another.
I can start putting together a list of some of the bigger forgegaf maps and some stuff from forgehub. I think some structure would be a little better

Dani said:
I think you argument ignores one very major element - player interest. Whilst the Arena combined with Reach's use of Trueskill and player progression system are indeed elegant and finely tuned and have deftly killed off the "black market" in the shady modding scene, it's been a complete failure for one simple reason. No one cares.
The Arena is but a shadow of the ranked playlists of previous Halo games. It is consistently under populated and nobody uses the Arena placement as a measurement of skill, despite how accurately it can judge you.

With the previous systems in Halo 2 and 3 it took week and months for player to find their ideal rank in a particular playlist. Afterwards they were pretty much locked in. Whilst this was a the cause of frustration for many players to be stuck at a certain rank, and contributed heavily to the demand of the back market, it was also a very fulfilling system in terms of making the player work hard and having something to show for it. A person's rank in a particular playlist was a badge of honour or shame.

The Arena's system of resetting rankings every month (or every three months in future) just annoyed players. Work your way to a Gold or Onyx rank, then it gets wiped, then work your way back again next month. Then next month again. And again. And again and so on. Most people simply said stuff it and didn't bother. Additionally, with previous Halo games you could chip away and work your rank with each game, whether it be days apart or months apart. In the Arena you have to play so many games per day, play for so many days per month and then you get get rated and ranked. The requirements are far too strict and the average player simply cannot be dictated to about he or she can play. If a person comes home from work and spends some free time player Reach, jumps into the Arena, they'll see a list of playing times and requirements and say stuff it and jump into BTB, MLG or any other playlist.

With the 1-50 system, it was easy to compare yourself to other players. I'm a 38, he is a 45, so he'll probably beat me. We have a team of Lieutenants against a team of Generals - they are probably going to win. With the Arena you are placed into, what, for our five categories and then told about a certain upper or lower percentile compared with the total amount of players that got ranked within that specific timeframe or something, I think. It's a confusing mess for the average player to work out and it's hard to measure and to compare players at a glance.

We should go back to the 1-50 system. Not completely mind you, but there so much functionality lost that I think it's needed (we have only a single "ranked" playlist and we cannot have ranked objectives? Feck that!) but we need a 1-50 system that also embraces long term investment so that it doesn't fall foul to the Halo 3 era black market. Halo 3 system was good for it's time and we had to move on but I think Reach's approach, like many of Reach's mechanics, simply didn't work. Players vote with their time and investment and it's obvious with the Arena that the players abandoned it quickly. The Arena is not the way forward but there are valuable lessons to be learned and I think maybe a hybrid of the two systems would be ideal but that kind of discussion is out of the remit of this reply.

TDLR

Arena has failed, we need the 1-50 system back without the black market elements and with the player investment from Reach.

You know, I've always said they should drop visible ranks to discourage cheating and promote JUST PLAYING. They almost did that with Reach, but for the attempt to appease the rank-obsessed with the Arena. What the Arena has shown is that this community (which is vocal on Bungie.net) won't be satisfied unless their skill-based rank doesn't have to be defended or maintained, and is at the forefront of the UI so they can lord it over other players.

All I can say to this community now is this.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
HiredN00bs said:
You know, I've always said they should drop visible ranks to discourage cheating and promote JUST PLAYING. They almost did that with Reach, but for the attempt to appease the rank-obsessed with the Arena. What the Arena has shown is that this community (which is vocal on Bungie.net) won't be satisfied unless their skill-based rank doesn't have to be defended or maintained, and is at the forefront of the UI so they can lord it over other players.

Oh great, someone let Noobs in. Hide your wife, hide your kids....

Alienshogun said:
Oh great, someone let Noobs in. Hide your wife, hide your kids....
Shogun's in the building.

I find myself kind of agreeing with him. I wrote a post on HBO in the same thread which basically said what he just said. A perfect Halo multiplayer suite for me would drop the visible rank, have the armory open to everyone from the start, and have an actually working TrueSkill system working behind the scenes.

Not that that's ever going to happen (and most people are glad it won't). Player investment, and all that. Don't hire Ninja for multiplayer stuff. :p

O D I N

bobs99 ... said:

The way I look at it, he didn't say 'No'.

Only time will tell.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Untracked said:

That Colossus remake is awesome. Well done.

OuterWorldVoice said:
His Containment remake made me wish for a snowy Forge World. Containment was so pretty, this map (which, admittedly, looks great as is) could really use some snow. :p

Blue Ninja said:
"We will be rereleasing Halo: Combat Evolved in the Reach engine, with Armor Lock taking center stage as the Master Chief's main armor ability. We will include a second disc which features the entire multiplayer experience of Halo Reach, including several types of new armors on the disc."

Actually, when I think about it, that second one doesn't seem too bad.

If they did that, and especially made Armour Lock centre stage I would kill a puppy. You dont want me to kill a puppy do you?

I know your post was heavy in jest, but all jokes aside If they did remake Halo 1 but then went ahead and turned it into some weird hybrid of Halo 1 and Reach the magic would be lost - infact remaking the game and changing anything would potentially ruin the point of remaking it in the first place. Personally I would want then to tinker with the Single player a bit but keep the majestic multiplayer component, but tinkering with the single player would probably upset people.

A lot of people have expressed the opinion that they would like to see a Halo 1 Campaign remake bundled with a Reach Multiplayer suite, and I have to ask... what's the point? We can all go play halo 1 campaign right now, but its not so easy to get multiplayer going again.

Besides, why would you want to ruin perfection by packaging it with the likes of Reach. :p

MrBig

OuterWorldVoice said:
I didn't look at the colossus remake, but the Containment one has potential. I started rebuilding the bases, and if everything else is re-done to use less resources and seem less haphazardly placed it could be really great.

e: check your pms untracked

Hey You

PNut said:
Also, how do you guys feel about the new version of Multi-team? Personally, I'm not a fan. The old version worked great when you and a buddy were looking for something to play together without randoms. Now we just sit there looking for a third for team games.
I like it because we have 3-ball back. But I can't enter that playlist, its all Rocket Hog Race, all the time.

Playlist is pretty much unplayable unless you can control the Majority vote.

HiredN00bs said:

You clearly dont know this community to well then. The guys round here range from the whole spectrum when it comes to skill. If you really think the lack of bragging rights is the reason the Arena is underpopulated your crazy. There are plenty of posts detailing why the Arena is a poor substitute for the old Ranking system, and many of those posts are made by the exact same people who are not rank obsessed at all.

The majority of Halo players didnt make it to 50, that didn't stop ranked from being so popular in the past. The fact that The Arena has serious flaws is what makes it so unpopular on Reach.

bobs99 ... said:
If they did that, and especially made Armour Lock centre stage I would kill a puppy. You dont want me to kill a puppy do you?

I know your post was heavy in jest, but all jokes aside If they did remake Halo 1 but then went ahead and turned it into some weird hybrid of Halo 1 and Reach the magic would be lost - infact remaking the game and changing anything would potentially ruin the point of remaking it in the first place. Personally I would want then to tinker with the Single player a bit but keep the majestic multiplayer component, but tinkering with the single player would probably upset people.

A lot of people have expressed the opinion that they would like to see a Halo 1 Campaign remake bundled with a Reach Multiplayer suite, and I have to ask... what's the point? We can all go play halo 1 campaign right now, but its not so easy to get multiplayer going again.

Besides, why would you want to ruin perfection by packaging it with the likes of Reach. :p
I'm not one of the Armor Lock hate-crew, but that just set itself up so nicely. :p

I dunno, really. Part of me would just prefer them not killing Reach's multiplayer a year after it came out. This is Reach, not Call of Duty. :p I doubt if they wanted to remake Halo's multiplayer, the result would set HaloGAF on fire in a bad way. The changes made for balancing's sake would make people go insane. If you want precedent, just look at the debate after Halo 2 came out. :p

As for singleplayer, its a mixed bag. On the one hand, I'd hate for them to mess up the majesty that was the first Halo. On the other hand, I think recapturing that magic is going to be impossible (prove me wrong, 343), and I'd rather have them try and tackle the campaign in a new way. We can try and appreciate it in another way, too, rather than them just having copy-pasted the campaign of the first game and selling it for €60. If it doesn't work out, the original's still there, and still as awesome.

Blue Ninja said:
I'm not one of the Armor Lock hate-crew, but that just set itself up so nicely. :p

I dunno, really. Part of me would just prefer them not killing Reach's multiplayer a year after it came out. This is Reach, not Call of Duty. :p I doubt if they wanted to remake Halo's multiplayer, the result would set HaloGAF on fire in a bad way. The changes made for balancing's sake would make people go insane. If you want precedent, just look at the debate after Halo 2 came out. :p

As for singleplayer, its a mixed bag. On the one hand, I'd hate for them to mess up the majesty that was the first Halo. On the other hand, I think recapturing that magic is going to be impossible (prove me wrong, 343), and I'd rather have them try and tackle the campaign in a new way. We can try and appreciate it in another way, too, rather than them just having copy-pasted the campaign of the first game and selling it for €60. If it doesn't work out, the original's still there, and still as awesome.

From a multiplayer point of view Halo 2 has a lot of fans, there are a lot of people who loved the halo 2 balance and would love to just go back to that experience. Same with Halo 1. If they changed anything for balance sake then it just wouldn't be the same, meaning that the remake it pointless. I know what you are saying 100% but I just wanted to go on that tangeant. There is absolutely no point in remaking a game if you are going to change core components of it. I think the only reason so many people are calling for halo 1/ halo 2 remakes is because there's no other ways to enjoy those games multiplayer experiences at the moment. (Well except for the PC ports, which arent exactly perfect experiences.)

When it comes to the single player however, im with you, we can always go back and replay the original so why not try something new? I would personally love to see Halo 1 from a totally different perspective, it would be a great way of bringing back the original mystery - but not playing as the Chief probably really would annoy people lol.

From a marketing point of view it would be a nightmare though, the hardcore fans are calling for remakes, but imagine the reaction by reviewers. "They got lazy". I seriously doubt a remake could happen for these PR reasons. :(

bobs99 ... said:
From a multiplayer point of view Halo 2 has a lot of fans, there are a lot of people who loved the halo 2 balance and would love to just go back to that experience. Same with Halo 1. If they changed anything for balance sake then it just wouldn't be the same, meaning that the remake it pointless. I know what you are saying 100% but I just wanted to go on that tangeant. There is absolutely no point in remaking a game if you are going to change core components of it. I think the only reason so many people are calling for halo 1/ halo 2 remakes is because there's no other ways to enjoy those games multiplayer experiences at the moment. (Well except for the PC ports, which arent exactly perfect experiences.)

When it comes to the single player however, im with you, we can always go back and replay the original so why not try something new? I would personally love to see Halo 1 from a totally different perspective, it would be a great way of bringing back the original mystery - but not playing as the Chief probably really would annoy people lol.

From a marketing point of view it would be a nightmare though, the hardcore fans are calling for remakes, but imagine the reaction by reviewers. "They got lazy". I seriously doubt a remake could happen for these PR reasons. :(
You get it. A touched-up XBL remake, sure. Full retail release, yeah, I think that wouldn't happen either.

As it is, I think the Halo remake rumors became too big for their own good. People are expecting it, but we haven't received anything in the form of confirmation yet.

vhfive said:
thanks... I think

I should be around next week for customs.
Don't listen to him, IT'S A TRAP.

Tawpgun

Maybe not sometime soon, but in like 2-3 years (possibly more) they could definitely release a remake of the multiplayer (+ co-op campaign, I've always wanted to do online co-op in Halo 2. Dat exploration)

They just need to market it like "The fans have called... we have answered." It needs to be marketed as a gift to the fans, and not something like a cash cow. That being said, it probably needs to be an arcade or even just a digital download title. Putting up for anything more than $30 dollars is ridiculous. It should be $20 imo.

Surely Bungie will mark the 10 year anniversary in some way this year, Bungie Day or the day CE was released, so I don't worry too much about remakes and the like. Whatever we get will be more than we deserve. Soak up the lovin' bros :p

A27 Tawpgun said:
Maybe not sometime soon, but in like 2-3 years (possibly more) they could definitely release a remake of the multiplayer (+ co-op campaign, I've always wanted to do online co-op in Halo 2. Dat exploration)

They just need to market it like "The fans have called... we have answered." It needs to be marketed as a gift to the fans, and not something like a cash cow. That being said, it probably needs to be an arcade or even just a digital download title. Putting up for anything more than $30 dollars is ridiculous. It should be $20 imo.
Oh god, online co-op. Getting out of Delta Halo. Throw in a Theater mode, and you have my wallet.

The "Ico and Shadow of the Colossus" collection is releasing for $40.

To release a single "Halo" remake that's over $20 would be pushing it. If it's $40 or more, I'm out.

Edit: Assuming one is being made.

wwm0nkey

A27 Tawpgun said:

But I want it now D:

Hitmonchan107 said:
To release a single "Halo" remake that's over $20 would be pushing it. If it's $40 or more, I'm out.

Edit: Assuming one is being made.

I just have this funny feeling that even if a remake is in the works it will altered/tweaked in a way that will just ignite a firestorm of rage amongst CE purists who merely just desperately want the game that they know and love with online functionality. That is assuming of course that they actually decide to invest the time and resources needed to even include MP which is definitely not a given.

I seriously doubt an updated version Halo: CE with no backpack reloading, quick camo, double melee, altered physics and most important of all a balanced (nerfed) version of the M6D would go over well no matter what the price tag may happen to be.

MrBig

O D I N

I have a question for any Bungie/343 employees;

How large of a Forge palette can we expect for Highlands? On par with Tempest, more like Forgeworld, or a little more shallow like say, Anchor 9 (I say shallow, as in there's not a lot of options)?

Thank you, if anyone has an answer.

feel

Popeck said:
I haven't yet had the time to read it, but here's an article on 343i taking the lead on Halo franchise and Defiant Map Pack feat steaming hot Frankie video and photo: http://venturebeat.com/2011/02/27/m...th-launch-of-upcoming-defiant-map-pack-video/.
Sexy. And news to me that Bungie isn't doing any more maps packs. I thought they were doing at least one more later on. Good news I guess, it's better if they leave the Halo content to people who really care and are willing to put some passion into it.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
7echnicolor said:
Radiating Chaos

I've been playing lots and lots of Firefight lately so that's why I was doing so horrible last night. Haha
I hear ya, I find it jarring as well switching from Score Attack to MP.

KevinRo

Untracked said:

The Colossus map looks amazing. We need to play that in GAF customs.

Man nostalgia time. Flag bouncing on that map :'(

Untracked

OuterWorldVoice said:
Thank you. Out of the 4 remakes I did in Reach, it's the most faithful to the original. The other two I did:
Foundation was absolute poo, due to spawn problems I never fixed, and the central building is far too small.
Headlong I ruined by replacing the Teleporter with a Mancannon (I think its more fun, but people don't like change, the amount of rage over that was ridiculous!). Also Blue base is horrible as I ran out of Budget :(

Blue Ninja said:
His Containment remake made me wish for a snowy Forge World. Containment was so pretty, this map (which, admittedly, looks great as is) could really use some snow. :p
Yeah, I thought we'd have a few themed Forge Worlds by now (snowy, desert, covenant etc). Tempest has a decent sized object set, but not enough Budget for the likes of me. I tried using the white light FX on Containment but then I couldn't tell Blue base from Red base.

MrBig said:
check your pms untracked
Checked and replied, balls deep in Bulletstorm right now, but we can do that.
I'm glad you liked Containment enough to want to expand on it (the back of the bases need alot of work). I crashed to the end of that one. It's functional but it sure as hell aint pretty lol.
Good luck with it and be sure to show me the final masterpiece!

Top Bottom