Last year's three-point system worked really well, but this year we're going to try a bit of a hybrid between the tiered model and the straight top ten. But I promise, it's really simple.
The main difference? You're not allocating points from a pool this time. Instead, you're just going to list 1-10 games, and rank them. Here are the official rules:
* 2010 VOTING RULES *
- List up to 10 games, in order from 1 to 10.
- If possible, please follow the format below, though it is no longer necessary to be absolutely perfect about it.
- When possible, you should copy+paste your games from the nominations list in post #2 (see "Game Selection" below).
- You may list Honorable Mentions if you wish to. These must be delineated by a "x." in your balloy.
- You may add descriptions for each game to your list (these may be used in the results thread).
- Non-consecutively numbered entries will not be counted.
- Multiple votes for the same title will disqualify your entire ballot.
- Each user may only vote once, but may edit as often as they would like until the deadline.
- If you want to talk about another poster's list, quote it. Any unquoted ballots (those outside a quote block) will overwrite your own previous vote.
- Voting will run from the time of this post until the start of January 9th at midnight, PST.
UPDATE: Your ballots no longer have to strictly follow the ballot format below. However, I would encourage you to do so for readability purposes. But if you have already listed your ballot, and you used hyphens instead of semicolons, or roman numerals, that is okay and will still be picked up by the parser. The rules above still apply, however, in that non-consecutively numbered entries will not be counted.
That said, to be counted, your honorable mentions must be listed as such:
x. Game Title
x. Game Title 2
We are counting honorable mentions this year (for fun) so if you want yours to be counted, they need to be numbered with the 'x.'
This year, Cheesemeister has helpfully written a script that will help us count votes.
The easiest way is to simply copy the ballot below and edit it as appropriate.
1. Game A ; Your thoughts on Game A.
2. Game B ; Your thoughts on Game B.
3. Game C ; Your thoughts on Game C.
4. Game D ; Your thoughts on Game D.
5. Game E ; Your thoughts on Game E.
6. Game F ; Your thoughts on Game F.
7. Game G ; Your thoughts on Game G.
8. Game H ; Your thoughts on Game H.
9. Game I ; Your thoughts on Game I.
10. Game J ; Your thoughts on Game J.
x. Game K ; Your thoughts on Honorable Mention Game K.
x. Game L ; Your thoughts on Honorable Mention Game L.
I will be selecting descriptions from users and using them in the results thread, so make them good!
Updated ballot rules
Again, I recommend following the structure of the ballot, but as of now, as long as you use the numbered system (1., 2., 3., x., etc) and use full game titles (no abbreviations) then your votes will be counted. Semicolons and use of arabic numerals is no longer required. Thanks for the update, Cheesemeister!
There have been various requests for a list of the year's games, in order to aid in composing your lists. This year, post #2 in this thread includes a list of the year's nominated games. Games will be added to the list as they are nominated, so go ahead and vote for it even if you don't see your game in the list.
It is helpful, though no longer required, for you to copy your nominated games from the Games List in Post #2. If you do copy+paste, great, it will help keep things consistent for the parser. And who knows, you might notice a game in the list that you had forgotten and will want to include.
If you are listing a title that has not already been listed, follow these rules:
- No abbreviations - write "Call of Duty: Black Ops" and not "CODBLOPS" or "BLOPS".
No Roman numerals - write "Final Fantasy 13" and not "Final Fantasy XIII" or "FF XIII". You are now allowed to use Roman numerals if you wish.
After a lively discussion of the suggested rules for this year, I've made some changes. Obviously nothing will make everyone happy, but this is the format for this year. We are maintaining the tiered format of last year, but each position in the list will receive a specific amount of points. Listing fewer titles will not reduce the amount of points received by any of your listed titles.
1. Game A ; 4 points
2. Game B ; 3 points
3. Game C ; 3 points
4. Game D ; 2 points
5. Game E ; 2 points
6. Game F ; 2 points
7. Game G ; 1 point
8. Game H ; 1 point
9. Game I ; 1 point
10. Game J ; 1 point
x. Game K ; 0 points
x. Game L ; 0 points
Honorable mentions will not receive points, but they will be tracked, assuming you list them appropriately.
Additional Notes and Clarifications
- Since this is the first year trying to parse the lists, I will still be going through the thread frequently to ensure compatibility and make sure votes are counted appropriately.
- Do not post any box arts, screenshots, etc. in your posts.
- There will not be a running tally of the votes.
- As in previous years, games will qualify for the various new awards and lists introduced last year.
What Games Count?
- New games released to your region this year (can be retail only or downloadable).
- Voting for imported titles is allowed. If you list an import game, please mention which country you are from. Otherwise I will assume you didn't read the rules and the vote will not count.
- Remakes and significant visible upgrades count too.
- Revisions released for the first time on a console or handheld this year (must be a retail version and not downloadable).
- Ports that amount to "ROM dumps", i.e., ports with no additional content or significant changes, are not allowed.
- New expansion packs to MMOs and other games count, but not the original game unless it too was released in your region this year.
- Asked about games that are allowed: Minecraft, Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge.
- Asked about games that are not allowed: Super Mario All-Stars, God of War Collection, Sly Cooper Collection
And that's it! Happy voting, everyone! :D