• TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Conflict NZ
(01-10-2011, 04:08 AM)

Originally Posted by BigNastyCurve

http://www.multiupload.com/8SCVGBBMU1

SNES9x PS3 4.4.2 - CFW 3.55

earlier version in this thread was 4.4.1 - I imagine only emulation enthusiasts may care about the incremental upgrade

Does this one have a decent GUI? The last one I downloaded for use with Jailbreak just had a text menu. Was hoping for something a little more like the psp version of Snes9x.
CaLe
(01-10-2011, 04:31 AM)
I might be stupid, but what are SELFs and ELFs.. ? What's the difference between them.. ? I keep reading those terminologies and I have no idea what they mean...
mclem
(01-10-2011, 10:41 AM)
ELF stands for something along the lines of Executable Linkable File; basically the thing you run (think an .exe for a PC equivalent). I'm not certain about SELF, but I'd hazard a guess it's a secure or signed ELF?
The Faceless Master
(01-10-2011, 11:17 AM)

Originally Posted by RyanDG

No way to have the firmware installed via game disk if it was included as part of an update?

Originally Posted by Rhindle

Why would that be an issue? Newer units should still be able to update via PSN or Bluray, just as they do now.

I think it's almost a given that Sony will eliminate USB updates. That seems like the obvious path to strike back.

well, i guess it's technically possible if they rewrite the factory/stub part of their firmware that resides in flashrom to have menu options to configure the network and libraries to support it. install from disk won't be of much help unless the disk has the same firmware or newer than was on the console in the first place.
Kazuma Kiryu
(01-10-2011, 02:27 PM)
did anyone ask for the psp keys?

http://twitter.com/Mathieulh/status/24166067018403840

https://code.google.com/p/kirk-engine/ Thanks to everyone contributing to this :)

BriareosGAF
(01-10-2011, 04:16 PM)

Originally Posted by CaLe

I might be stupid, but what are SELFs and ELFs.. ? What's the difference between them.. ? I keep reading those terminologies and I have no idea what they mean...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Executa...inkable_Format

SELF is a cryptographically-signed ELF.
iapetus
Scary Euro Man
(01-10-2011, 04:29 PM)

Originally Posted by kazuma_pt

Nice. What we need at the end of this, of course, is a simple EBOOT signer.
TheSeks
Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
(01-10-2011, 04:51 PM)

FuckYeah.gif

Now all we need is Peek/Poke for CWCheat and a backup/iso loader in addition to signed ports of old stuff (bookr, plz) and PSP OMFW 6.55 will happen. Oh happy day to have a PSX emulator update and homebrew on my 1000.
Chesskid1
(01-10-2011, 10:21 PM)
don't want to hijack the other thread but

neogaf allows emulator talk because most people own the original copies of games. FBAnext is an arcade emulator right? so most people own the "arcade board" right? or am i completely off here? NOT accusing anyone of anything, just trying to understand what FBAnext is emulating, obviously i've heard of MAME but have no idea what it is besides an arcade emulator.
Last edited by Chesskid1; 01-10-2011 at 10:25 PM.
Stumpokapow
Currently AFK. Please ask another moderator for help or support.
(01-10-2011, 10:38 PM)

Originally Posted by Chesskid1

neogaf allows emulator talk because most people own the original copies of games. FBAnext is an arcade emulator right? so most people own the "arcade board" right? or am i completely off here? NOT accusing anyone of anything, just trying to understand what FBAnext is emulating, obviously i've heard of MAME but have no idea what it is besides an arcade emulator.

Arcade emulators are a gray area and always have been. Historically we've given short bans to people who post arcade emulation related stuff where it's beyond obvious that they're pirating--particularly with some of the GGPO stuff, but I'd say there's definitely an element of willfully not looking too far into posters who do arcade emulation. Piracy isn't permitted here even if it's the kind of piracy that an individual poster feels fine with ethically. There are hundreds of people on GAF who do own arcade boards, although obviously someone with a MAME front end that lists 10,000 games isn't fooling anyone. Hope this clarifies a little bit.

FBANext is an emulator for Capcom CPS1 (most of their NES/SNES era arcade games)/CPS2 games (most of their late SNES/PS1 era arcade games).

Cheers.
BocoDragon
or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
(01-10-2011, 10:41 PM)

Originally Posted by Chesskid1

don't want to hijack the other thread but

Obviously most people are not dumping their own arcade boards. I suppose MAME and other arcade emulators are tolerated here because they were never offered for retail sale. It's the only way for most people to play these games.. And the availability of MAME has little impact on the value of arcade boards which still cost hundreds of dollars apiece, and are really intended for commercial interests.

It's obviously a grey area, but I'm glad GAF tolerates MAME discussion. Without it, most of these games will never be accesable to most people.

But those are just my thoughts.. Perhaps a mod has an alternate view. (edit: and there's Stump to fill us in. Looks like piracy is NOT tolerated. Good to know)
I NEED SCISSORS
Banned
(01-10-2011, 10:46 PM)

PSP, old chum, today is the day you become a man.
Shaneus
(01-10-2011, 11:26 PM)

Originally Posted by I NEED SCISSORS

PSP, old chum, today is the day you become a man.

So what does this mean... you can use OFW and install homebrew signed stuff, given that you can install things like demos from memory stick without CFW anyway*?

*as is my understanding. It's been a while since I've fired up my PSP.
Stumpokapow
Currently AFK. Please ask another moderator for help or support.
(01-10-2011, 11:28 PM)

Originally Posted by BocoDragon

Obviously most people are not dumping their own arcade boards. I suppose MAME and other arcade emulators are tolerated here because they were never offered for retail sale. It's the only way for most people to play these games.. And the availability of MAME has little impact on the value of arcade boards which still cost hundreds of dollars apiece, and are really intended for commercial interests.

It's obviously a grey area, but I'm glad GAF tolerates MAME discussion. Without it, most of these games will never be accesable to most people.

We do tolerate MAME discussion including discussion of games that, let's be real, most of the people discussing probably didn't dump themselves. Everything you say in the first paragraph is true and something that I think we're all aware of. We still frown (minorly) on what amounts to piracy if it's blatant and open and we would never allow something like discussion on where to get roms or a post like "I just downloaded a fat MAME torrent". The reason I've twiced emphasized the minorness of the infraction is because a typical piracy ban starts at one month and scales up quickly, while our typical MAME/GGPO bans have been more like 1-2 days and with significantly more sympathetic ban messages. So I'd say we have a pretty balanced perspective on the issue.
I NEED SCISSORS
Banned
(01-10-2011, 11:29 PM)

Originally Posted by Shaneus

So what does this mean... you can use OFW and install homebrew signed stuff, given that you can install things like demos from memory stick without CFW anyway*?

*as is my understanding. It's been a while since I've fired up my PSP.

Pretty much. PSP doesn't share the same problems as the PS3 keys/CFW/Jailbreak/whatever you want to call it, as it already has many viable ways of getting content onto the system.
Shaneus
(01-10-2011, 11:45 PM)
That's good to hear... so it's not a matter of waiting for CFW, but a signed app that allows you to dump a UMD (if you want to play a UMD game from the memory stick) then a PC-based app that allows you to convert that dump or homebrew (ISO, filesystem, whatever) to a valid, installable package. I think I'm understanding this now :)
Truespeed
(01-11-2011, 12:57 AM)
Has anyone else compiled the run the PSP kirk code? Doesn't seem to do much. Could be related to the input file I'm providing perhaps.
DangerousDave
(01-11-2011, 02:11 AM)

Originally Posted by Machado

should I follow this or the new thread instead?

If you are really interested in the homebrew progress, and nothing else, that thread. If you want to talk about the possible consequences of this for the users, PSN bans or other "homebrew indirectly related" stuff, this thread.

Personally, I won't get 100 feet close to the other thread.

Edit: It seems that now there is a third thread to talk about banning.
Last edited by DangerousDave; 01-11-2011 at 02:17 AM.
TheChewyWaffles
(01-11-2011, 02:12 AM)

Originally Posted by Conflict NZ

Does this one have a decent GUI? The last one I downloaded for use with Jailbreak just had a text menu. Was hoping for something a little more like the psp version of Snes9x.

I'm not sure what you mean by "decent" but it seems nice to me for what it is. I've not tried it on the PSP.
Calibur
(01-12-2011, 02:14 AM)
Latest News

http://twitter.com/fail0verflow/stat...10636119343104

fail0verflow is being sued by Sony!!!

There goes my skype on psn dream :(
Brannon
Ladies! On my signal,
unleash boobs.
(01-12-2011, 02:27 AM)
Sony got embarrassed by that amateur mistake that much, eh?
SapientWolf
(01-12-2011, 02:34 AM)

Originally Posted by Calibur

Latest News

So, basically, they got caught with their pants down and sued the people who took pictures.
angelfly
(01-12-2011, 02:36 AM)
Sony isn't going to win this. At best they'll slow things down for a while.
Stripper13
(01-12-2011, 02:37 AM)

Originally Posted by Calibur

Latest News

Pathetic. What the fuck do they hope to get out of this? The hackers are hardly going to have the cash to pay for any outlandish claims or legal fees. Not to mention the situation is tricky at best, meaning the potential time and costs of litigation are not small. And then the worst part of course, is that the software and subsequent homebrew/piracy results are well and truly "out" for people to use - no amount of litigation will stop it now.

Can someone summarize the motion and proposed order? My iPhone won't seem to connect to the links/PDFs.
Zoe
(01-12-2011, 02:39 AM)

Originally Posted by angelfly

That's the most important thing right now. Taking out the major players, even for a short period of time, is just going to benefit Sony.
expy
Banned
(01-12-2011, 02:42 AM)

Originally Posted by angelfly

Without good lawyers to defend them, Geohot and Fail0verflow won't be able to defend themselves, so it's an automatic win for Sony.
-Pyromaniac-
(01-12-2011, 02:46 AM)
It's on engadget now:

We knew Sony would be non-plussed about the PlayStation 3 jailbreak, and now we have a better idea as to the full extent of its anger. The company has filed suit against George "Geohot" Hotz, the "hacking group" fail0verflow (Hector Cantero, Sven Peter, "Bushing," and "Segher"), and numerous John / Jane Does over the exploit and its release. To be more specific, the company cites violations of Digital Millennium Copyright Act, the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act, various copyright infringements, and other acts of binary malfeasance. A temporary restraining order has also been sought, asking that all "circumvention tools" be taken offline and his computers and related media (i.e. anything storing said tools) be impounded. It looks like Geohot's servers are being slammed at the moment, so we've gone ahead and hosted the relevant PDFs ourselves below. We're still sifting through ourselves and will let you know what we unearth.

Here.
mclem
(01-12-2011, 02:47 AM)
I'm wondering if this is implicit confirmation that Sony can't fix it. Intruiging.
LiquidMetal14
hide your water-based mammals
(01-12-2011, 02:52 AM)
They have every legal right to sue.
pelicansurf
Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
(01-12-2011, 02:57 AM)

Originally Posted by pelicansurf

Is the audio lag(for SNES/SEGA emus) something everyone suffers from or is it on a case by case basis?

Asking this here too because I need an answer. I am desperate.
Zoe
(01-12-2011, 03:07 AM)

Originally Posted by pelicansurf

Asking this here too because I need an answer. I am desperate.

Why don't you just use the computer you're on until there are more developments? It's going to take a little while for everything to be perfect.
MercuryLS
(01-12-2011, 03:10 AM)
So what can you do with this jailbreak?

Backup games to the HDD (this is huge for me)?

Play emus and roms? (another biggie)?

Are the jailbreak files available anywhere?
Zoe
(01-12-2011, 03:12 AM)
So far you're pretty much limited to what was developed under 3.41 JB which is limited to what's been successfully ported to 3.55.

It will take a while to see new developments.
Fafalada
Fafracer forever
(01-12-2011, 05:14 AM)

Originally Posted by Stripper13

Pathetic. What the fuck do they hope to get out of this?

Lawyers probably hope to keep their job.
Other then that it's an obvious knee-jerk reaction (And likely way too late to change anything, even if they win).
kruis
(01-12-2011, 08:03 AM)

Originally Posted by LiquidMetal14

They have every legal right to sue.

I'm surprised Sony didn't do this earlier. It won't stop the development of more cracks and tools to break open the PS3, but if they can scare away the best, most knowledgeable hackers through legal action, they've won themselves a temporary respite. This development had gotten far too much good press in the media, there were far too many reports on how to jailbreak the PS3 yourselves. Sony should never allow this thing to spread because it will cost them money. They *know* that the markets for PS3 games in South and East Europe, Asia, South America and the Middle East will completely collapse if they don't act now.
onken
(01-12-2011, 08:05 AM)
no wait I'm just blind
Dreams-Visions
I'm mad as hell but this sandwich is delicious
(01-12-2011, 08:10 AM)

Originally Posted by kruis

They *know* that the markets for PS3 games in South and East Europe, Asia, South America and the Middle East will completely collapse if they don't act now.

how dramatic of you.
Boombloxer
(01-12-2011, 08:17 AM)

Originally Posted by kruis

I'm surprised Sony didn't do this earlier. It won't stop the development of more cracks and tools to break open the PS3, but if they can scare away the best, most knowledgeable hackers through legal action, they've won themselves a temporary respite. This development had gotten far too much good press in the media, there were far too many reports on how to jailbreak the PS3 yourselves. Sony should never allow this thing to spread because it will cost them money. They *know* that the markets for PS3 games in South and East Europe, Asia, South America and the Middle East will completely collapse if they don't act now.

Not really, no.
linkboy
(01-12-2011, 08:23 AM)
Can't wait for the PSP stuff. Would be nice to be able to FF8, since its a major pain in the ass to work on CFW.
koji
(01-12-2011, 08:25 AM)
Go ahead Sony, sue them, watch it backfire like it did in Spain because of your OtherOS panic removal :lol

link
kitch9
Banned
(01-12-2011, 08:25 AM)

Originally Posted by mclem

I'm wondering if this is implicit confirmation that Sony can't fix it. Intruiging.

It will be part of the fix. Their statement of intent they hope will act as a deterrent. Going to court with big companies is expensive and will tie you and your lawyers up in knots for years as they drag stuff out with constant requests for info and data. They can get as technical as they want.

The software and hardware fix will still be in progress I guess, and when its releases they'll wanna put people off looking at it.
expy
Banned
(01-12-2011, 08:29 AM)

Originally Posted by koji

Go ahead Sony, sue them, watch it backfire like it did in Spain because of your OtherOS panic removal :lol

link

One territory is a backfire?
koji
(01-12-2011, 08:30 AM)

Originally Posted by expy

No, it's a precedent. I'll carry on in the other thread, missed that.

It did really backfire in Spain though, they even need to pay a fine to the psjailbreak distributor and the thing is "legal" there now. :lol
Last edited by koji; 01-12-2011 at 08:34 AM.
jorma
is now taking requests
(01-12-2011, 08:33 AM)

Originally Posted by expy

One EU territory = all EU territories.
darkwing
(01-12-2011, 08:34 AM)
yup its going to backfire, its going to be an interesting year for Sony, i bet they would be scrambling to make a PS4/PSN2 now :D
iapetus
Scary Euro Man
(01-12-2011, 10:29 AM)
I'm not a lawyer, but even on a brief scan I can spot some gaping holes in Sony's argument. They're trying to shoehorn completely irrelevant laws into their case.

Originally Posted by Sony

Under 18 U.S.C. § 1030(a)(5)(A), SCEA will also likely prevail on its claim that Defendants “knowingly caused the transmission of a program, information, code or command, and as a result of such conduct, intentionally caused damage without authorization, to a protected computer.” Defendants knowingly transmitted SCEA’s proprietary information or code via the Internet, which has greatly damaged SCEA and threatens to cause immeasurable damage to the PS3 System. Bricker Decl. at ¶¶6-7, 21, Exhs. E-F, T.

Quick, let's ignore the "to a protected computer" bit of the law and hope people are dumb enough not to notice!
RJT
(01-12-2011, 04:07 PM)

Originally Posted by iapetus

I'm not a lawyer, but even on a brief scan I can spot some gaping holes in Sony's argument. They're trying to shoehorn completely irrelevant laws into their case.

Quick, let's ignore the "to a protected computer" bit of the law and hope people are dumb enough not to notice!

Yeah, their claim is, and I think this is the legal term, full of shit. Also posted on the other thread, but here is a quote:

Indeed, in the last few days, people have already started copying, playing and trafficking in pirated copies of video games using the 3.55 Firmware Jailbreak.

Keio
For a Finer World
(01-12-2011, 04:27 PM)

Originally Posted by Fafalada

Lawyers probably hope to keep their job.
Other then that it's an obvious knee-jerk reaction (And likely way too late to change anything, even if they win).

Also it's to discourage people from participating in "the scene". The threat of a lawsuit works as a deterrent for some wannabe-hackers, I think.