• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

TheChewyWaffles
Member
(01-11-2011, 03:12 AM)
TheChewyWaffles's Avatar

Originally Posted by Conflict NZ

Does this one have a decent GUI? The last one I downloaded for use with Jailbreak just had a text menu. Was hoping for something a little more like the psp version of Snes9x.

I'm not sure what you mean by "decent" but it seems nice to me for what it is. I've not tried it on the PSP.
Calibur
Member
(01-12-2011, 03:14 AM)
Calibur's Avatar
Latest News

http://twitter.com/fail0verflow/stat...10636119343104

fail0verflow is being sued by Sony!!!

There goes my skype on psn dream :(
Brannon
Ladies! On my signal,
unleash boobs.
(01-12-2011, 03:27 AM)
Brannon's Avatar
Sony got embarrassed by that amateur mistake that much, eh?
SapientWolf
Trucker Sexologist
(01-12-2011, 03:34 AM)
SapientWolf's Avatar

Originally Posted by Calibur

Latest News

http://twitter.com/fail0verflow/stat...10636119343104

fail0verflow is being sued by Sony!!!

There goes my skype on psn dream :(

So, basically, they got caught with their pants down and sued the people who took pictures.
angelfly
Member
(01-12-2011, 03:36 AM)
angelfly's Avatar
Sony isn't going to win this. At best they'll slow things down for a while.
Stripper13
Member
(01-12-2011, 03:37 AM)
Stripper13's Avatar

Originally Posted by Calibur

Latest News

http://twitter.com/fail0verflow/stat...10636119343104

fail0verflow is being sued by Sony!!!

There goes my skype on psn dream :(

Pathetic. What the fuck do they hope to get out of this? The hackers are hardly going to have the cash to pay for any outlandish claims or legal fees. Not to mention the situation is tricky at best, meaning the potential time and costs of litigation are not small. And then the worst part of course, is that the software and subsequent homebrew/piracy results are well and truly "out" for people to use - no amount of litigation will stop it now.

Can someone summarize the motion and proposed order? My iPhone won't seem to connect to the links/PDFs.
Zoe
(01-12-2011, 03:39 AM)
Zoe's Avatar

Originally Posted by angelfly

Sony isn't going to win this. At best they'll slow things down for a while.

That's the most important thing right now. Taking out the major players, even for a short period of time, is just going to benefit Sony.
expy
Banned
(01-12-2011, 03:42 AM)
expy's Avatar

Originally Posted by angelfly

Sony isn't going to win this. At best they'll slow things down for a while.

Without good lawyers to defend them, Geohot and Fail0verflow won't be able to defend themselves, so it's an automatic win for Sony.
-Pyromaniac-
(01-12-2011, 03:46 AM)
-Pyromaniac-'s Avatar
It's on engadget now:

We knew Sony would be non-plussed about the PlayStation 3 jailbreak, and now we have a better idea as to the full extent of its anger. The company has filed suit against George "Geohot" Hotz, the "hacking group" fail0verflow (Hector Cantero, Sven Peter, "Bushing," and "Segher"), and numerous John / Jane Does over the exploit and its release. To be more specific, the company cites violations of Digital Millennium Copyright Act, the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act, various copyright infringements, and other acts of binary malfeasance. A temporary restraining order has also been sought, asking that all "circumvention tools" be taken offline and his computers and related media (i.e. anything storing said tools) be impounded. It looks like Geohot's servers are being slammed at the moment, so we've gone ahead and hosted the relevant PDFs ourselves below. We're still sifting through ourselves and will let you know what we unearth.

Here.
mclem
Member
(01-12-2011, 03:47 AM)
I'm wondering if this is implicit confirmation that Sony can't fix it. Intruiging.
LiquidMetal14
hide your water-based mammals
(01-12-2011, 03:52 AM)
LiquidMetal14's Avatar
They have every legal right to sue.
pelicansurf
Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
(01-12-2011, 03:57 AM)
pelicansurf's Avatar

Originally Posted by pelicansurf

Is the audio lag(for SNES/SEGA emus) something everyone suffers from or is it on a case by case basis?

Asking this here too because I need an answer. I am desperate.
Zoe
(01-12-2011, 04:07 AM)
Zoe's Avatar

Originally Posted by pelicansurf

Asking this here too because I need an answer. I am desperate.

Why don't you just use the computer you're on until there are more developments? It's going to take a little while for everything to be perfect.
MercuryLS
Banned
(01-12-2011, 04:10 AM)
So what can you do with this jailbreak?

Backup games to the HDD (this is huge for me)?

Play emus and roms? (another biggie)?

Are the jailbreak files available anywhere?
Zoe
(01-12-2011, 04:12 AM)
Zoe's Avatar
So far you're pretty much limited to what was developed under 3.41 JB which is limited to what's been successfully ported to 3.55.

It will take a while to see new developments.
Fafalada
Fafracer forever
(01-12-2011, 06:14 AM)

Originally Posted by Stripper13

Pathetic. What the fuck do they hope to get out of this?

Lawyers probably hope to keep their job.
Other then that it's an obvious knee-jerk reaction (And likely way too late to change anything, even if they win).
kruis
Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
(01-12-2011, 09:03 AM)
kruis's Avatar

Originally Posted by LiquidMetal14

They have every legal right to sue.

I'm surprised Sony didn't do this earlier. It won't stop the development of more cracks and tools to break open the PS3, but if they can scare away the best, most knowledgeable hackers through legal action, they've won themselves a temporary respite. This development had gotten far too much good press in the media, there were far too many reports on how to jailbreak the PS3 yourselves. Sony should never allow this thing to spread because it will cost them money. They *know* that the markets for PS3 games in South and East Europe, Asia, South America and the Middle East will completely collapse if they don't act now.
onken
Member
(01-12-2011, 09:05 AM)
onken's Avatar
no wait I'm just blind
Dreams-Visions
I'm mad as hell but this sandwich is delicious
(01-12-2011, 09:10 AM)
Dreams-Visions's Avatar

Originally Posted by kruis

They *know* that the markets for PS3 games in South and East Europe, Asia, South America and the Middle East will completely collapse if they don't act now.

how dramatic of you.
Boombloxer
Member
(01-12-2011, 09:17 AM)
Boombloxer's Avatar

Originally Posted by kruis

I'm surprised Sony didn't do this earlier. It won't stop the development of more cracks and tools to break open the PS3, but if they can scare away the best, most knowledgeable hackers through legal action, they've won themselves a temporary respite. This development had gotten far too much good press in the media, there were far too many reports on how to jailbreak the PS3 yourselves. Sony should never allow this thing to spread because it will cost them money. They *know* that the markets for PS3 games in South and East Europe, Asia, South America and the Middle East will completely collapse if they don't act now.

Not really, no.
linkboy
Member
(01-12-2011, 09:23 AM)
linkboy's Avatar
Can't wait for the PSP stuff. Would be nice to be able to FF8, since its a major pain in the ass to work on CFW.
koji
Member
(01-12-2011, 09:25 AM)
koji's Avatar
Go ahead Sony, sue them, watch it backfire like it did in Spain because of your OtherOS panic removal :lol

link
kitch9
Banned
(01-12-2011, 09:25 AM)
kitch9's Avatar

Originally Posted by mclem

I'm wondering if this is implicit confirmation that Sony can't fix it. Intruiging.

It will be part of the fix. Their statement of intent they hope will act as a deterrent. Going to court with big companies is expensive and will tie you and your lawyers up in knots for years as they drag stuff out with constant requests for info and data. They can get as technical as they want.

The software and hardware fix will still be in progress I guess, and when its releases they'll wanna put people off looking at it.
expy
Banned
(01-12-2011, 09:29 AM)
expy's Avatar

Originally Posted by koji

Go ahead Sony, sue them, watch it backfire like it did in Spain because of your OtherOS panic removal :lol

link

One territory is a backfire?
koji
Member
(01-12-2011, 09:30 AM)
koji's Avatar

Originally Posted by expy

One territory is a backfire?

No, it's a precedent. I'll carry on in the other thread, missed that.

It did really backfire in Spain though, they even need to pay a fine to the psjailbreak distributor and the thing is "legal" there now. :lol
jorma
is now taking requests
(01-12-2011, 09:33 AM)

Originally Posted by expy

One territory is a backfire?

One EU territory = all EU territories.
darkwing
Member
(01-12-2011, 09:34 AM)
darkwing's Avatar
yup its going to backfire, its going to be an interesting year for Sony, i bet they would be scrambling to make a PS4/PSN2 now :D
iapetus
Scary Euro Man
(01-12-2011, 11:29 AM)
iapetus's Avatar
I'm not a lawyer, but even on a brief scan I can spot some gaping holes in Sony's argument. They're trying to shoehorn completely irrelevant laws into their case.

Originally Posted by Sony

Under 18 U.S.C. § 1030(a)(5)(A), SCEA will also likely prevail on its claim that Defendants “knowingly caused the transmission of a program, information, code or command, and as a result of such conduct, intentionally caused damage without authorization, to a protected computer.” Defendants knowingly transmitted SCEA’s proprietary information or code via the Internet, which has greatly damaged SCEA and threatens to cause immeasurable damage to the PS3 System. Bricker Decl. at ¶¶6-7, 21, Exhs. E-F, T.

Quick, let's ignore the "to a protected computer" bit of the law and hope people are dumb enough not to notice!
RJT
Member
(01-12-2011, 05:07 PM)
RJT's Avatar

Originally Posted by iapetus

I'm not a lawyer, but even on a brief scan I can spot some gaping holes in Sony's argument. They're trying to shoehorn completely irrelevant laws into their case.



Quick, let's ignore the "to a protected computer" bit of the law and hope people are dumb enough not to notice!

Yeah, their claim is, and I think this is the legal term, full of shit. Also posted on the other thread, but here is a quote:

Indeed, in the last few days, people have already started copying, playing and trafficking in pirated copies of video games using the 3.55 Firmware Jailbreak.

Keio
For a Finer World
(01-12-2011, 05:27 PM)
Keio's Avatar

Originally Posted by Fafalada

Lawyers probably hope to keep their job.
Other then that it's an obvious knee-jerk reaction (And likely way too late to change anything, even if they win).

Also it's to discourage people from participating in "the scene". The threat of a lawsuit works as a deterrent for some wannabe-hackers, I think.

Thread Tools