• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge Scores - Issue 224

Ceebs

Gray Matter is much better than a 5, unless they did something crazy and reviewed the 360 version of an adventure game.

Corto

Yay for Under Siege 7!!!!! Great score.

The 9 for LBP2 and DS2 are just validating my two only pre orders for the first trimester of this year. Excellent scores too.

Now I have to wait to read the review text...

mik

mik is unbeatable
999: nine hours, nine persons, nine doors: 6
Fuck the fuck off. The only way I'll accept that is if there were three reviews: a 9, an 8, and a 7, and they chose to simplify it to the digital root to save space.

Keyser Soze said:
After unveiling Mirror's Edge 2, and Bungie's new IP this issue, they are too worn out to cover the 3DS IMO.
What, What, WHAT WHAT!!?!?!?!!? Please tell me this is true, I must know more!

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
OgTheClever said:
What, What, WHAT WHAT!!?!?!?!!? Please tell me this is true, I must know more!
It's a joke based on the teaser speculation from last week which turned out to be... FPS games?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Keyser Soze said:
Their first issue on Zinio was the January Uncharted 3 mag. That was my first digital mag for me, and I was impressed (read on iPad). I guess I am a bit miffed that I am not getting my copy the same day are regular subscribers (I am subscriber too dammit!!)... I can see why they probably have to wait til the magazine hits stores though :/

I was wondering about that...if digital subscribers get it when subs go out. Shame they don't. Still might subscribe though, it's quite cheap, and my massive back-catalog of edge issues should probably stop growing...

gofreak said:
I was wondering about that...if digital subscribers get it when subs go out. Shame they don't. Still might subscribe though, it's quite cheap, and my massive back-catalog of edge issues should probably stop growing...

It's really nice to read it on the iPad, but my biggest problem with the Zinio version is that if you read the magazine without zooming in, the text is so small it is almost impossible to read, forcing you to pan and zoom when reading an article.

It's clearly the downside by just throwing up a PDF for download, and compared to stuff made specifically for the iPad the font size is very different.

I really liked Lilt Line on iPhone although I think I recall it becoming a bit too challenging. I'm surprised it scored so low.

Red

Good score for echochrome 2. Really looking forward to it.
mik said:
Echochrome 2 is definitely awesome. I've been enjoying the hell out of it--really creative use of the Move.
Wait -- it's out?! On to PSN!

mik

mik is unbeatable
Echochrome 2 is definitely awesome. I've been enjoying the hell out of it--really creative use of the Move.

Dammit, I'm a U.S. sub and still don't have 223...

Having a digital copy early would be great, but the idea of zooming and panning around pages sounds pretty terrible.

Vinterbird said:
It's really nice to read it on the iPad, but my biggest problem with the Zinio version is that if you read the magazine without zooming in, the text is so small it is almost impossible to read, forcing you to pan and zoom when reading an article.

It's clearly the downside by just throwing up a PDF for download, and compared to stuff made specifically for the iPad the font size is very different.

all the other zinio magazines i read have a text reflow option, so you can read the article straight through like a book without zooming...i wonder why edge doesn't. maybe they can update it.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
the lack of red orchestra 2 or even brink, the only shooters coming out this year to demonstrate anything that could be described as generational progression, leads me to think the cover's line-up of conservative AAA homogeneothons is infact a work of droll satire.

TenshiOni said:
Very happy to see Dead Space 2 score highly.

I'd love to see the score breakdown from anyone with the magazine.

"DS2 isn't as tidily self-enclosed as its predecessor. Multiplayer stretches the experience, and a new harder-than-impossible mode resets players to their past save after each death, giving them only three saves to use along the way. It loses something of the tough-but-contained challenge of the first game, which offered a temptingly realistic shot at 100% completion and resonated with efficiency of presentation, gameplay and setting. But this is perhaps a fair price to pay for a wonderfully crafted sequel. The game's excellent controls and stream of grisly scares make it the current standard for survival horror, and it now boasts eruptions of blockbusting action that rival this generation's biggest games"

tmarques

Ceebs said:
Gray Matter is much better than a 5, unless they did something crazy and reviewed the 360 version of an adventure game.

Finished it yesterday and I agree the score is unfair.

Characters were clichéd, but the story was interesting.

Puzzles made sense most of the time and the game guided you when they leaned towards the random or esoteric. The progress bar, the highlighting of areas with unsolved puzzles and the option to toggle hotspots on and off should be standard in the genre. They really did everything they could to make an adventure game that's not frustrating without dumbing it down.

Backgrounds look great. Characters not so much, and the animation was pretty terrible, but given the budget they probably had to work with, one can't complain.

I feel bad for Jensen. The game takes place in 2005, so my guess is that's when the game was supposed to ship. And apparently they don't have a distribution deal for the US. They hint at a sequel after the credits, but I'm afraid we're more likely to see Shemue 3.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
TouchMyBox said:
I like how all the games on that cover look exactly the same.

That's what the next generation of FPS is all about. UNYIELDING UNFLINCHING IN YOUR FACE HOMOGENY

Edge said:
The game's excellent controls and stream of grisly scares make it the current standard for survival horror, and it now boasts eruptions of blockbusting action that rival this generation's biggest games...

:D

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Man, that's gotta be the worst Edge cover ever. Just put a bunch of space marines in four boxes and call it a day.

And poor Gray Matter. Still looking forward to it though.

If Edge is on Zinio, no excusess. You want quality games writing- Edge has it for you.
Another EA review that disregards the PC version (After NFS: HP) Dead Space cites PS3 (version tested) and 360 only. I can't quite understand this, either EA is not informing Edge of the full set of formats or Edge refuses to cover it because of differences to the console version.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
$39.91 for a digital subscription to EDGE. Hmm.

Anyone know if the Zinio DRM is crackable? I'd probably subscribe if I knew I could convert the magazines I've purchased into DRM free PDFs or CBZ/jpg series to keep for posterity and view on every device I own.

number1jagsfan said:
"stream of grisly scares make it the current standard for survival horror"
So its not just a 3rd person shooter like the first game? Wow, maybe I should give it a pass, have trouble playing scary games. That's why I passed on Amnesia, no matter how great everyone is saying it is.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Lostconfused said:
So its not just a 3rd person shooter like the first game? Wow, maybe I should give it a pass, have trouble playing scary games. That's why I passed on Amnesia, no matter how great everyone is saying it is.
I imagine it will generally be the same level of "scary" as Dead Space.

Rolf NB

Lostconfused said:
I thought the first Dead Space was pretty tense, but then I played on the hardest difficulty, with headphones, and always at night. The demo for DS2 felt tame in comparison. So I guess if Dead Space 1 didn't give you any sense of horror ever, you should make it through the sequel fine, if you approach it the same way.

I wish people wouldn't be so upset by some of these low scores, especially considering it's Edge. I never listen to the scores and always read their reviews and then you may understand why something got the score it did.

Sotha Sil

ashbash159 said:
I wish people wouldn't be so upset by some of these low scores, especially considering it's Edge. I never listen to the scores and always read their reviews and then you may understand why something got the score it did.

Exactly. It's so goddamn pointl

Edge said:
Gray Matter: 5

WHAT

Top Bottom