• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PS3 3.56 Feature Found! NO MORE HDD UPGRADES!!! (on 16MB units) [fixed]

Emitan

styl3s said:
I will try the external in a bit, this is fucking bullshit i cant put a bigger HDD in MY ps3, goddamn pirates are ruining it for everyone those bums
Pirates create OFW now?

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Billychu said:
Pirates create OFW now?

Serious post? Pirates create CFW which makes Sony create OFW to counter the CFW. People who were never in on CFW in the first place, now have to suffer the consequences.

This is actually a really smart move by Sony to counter the backup managers...

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Adam Prime said:
Serious post? Pirates create CFW which makes Sony create OFW to counter the CFW. People who were never in on CFW in the first place, now have to suffer the consequences.

Indeed. Sucks but the hacking is the reason.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
... well this is assuming this ISN'T a bug and Sony knowingly put this 'feature' in the update to prevent people from upgrading to larger HDDs for backup managers.

Hopefully like someone said earlier, it's just a bug.

LiquidMetal14

Adam Prime said:
... well this is assuming this ISN'T a bug and Sony knowingly put this 'feature' in the update to prevent people from upgrading to larger HDDs for backup managers.

Hopefully like someone said earlier, it's just a bug.
True. If they fix it, they fix it.

styl3s

Billychu said:
Pirates create OFW now?
It's because of the pirates/hackers these things happen /shrug

because of asshole bums legit people who buy their products like me get screwed and can't have nice things, there is no excuse to pirate it's stealing period.

Emitan

Adam Prime said:

I don't see why pirates caused Sony to screw up an update.

Zoe

LiquidMetal14 said:
Indeed. Sucks but the hacking is the reason.

Actually, Billychu was saying that it's Sony's fault this bug was introduced.

theBishop said:
What's this 16/256MB flash business? PS3 has flash memory?

edit: firmware size? got it.

The PS3 has flash memory to house the firmware. If you have the 16MB flash, then the remainder will spill over to the hard drive.

This is why one of the CFW's was bricking 256MB flash PS3's. It was larger than that, but the firmware wasn't designed to spill over if you have the larger flash memory.

LiquidMetal14

Zoe said:
Actually, Billychu was saying that it's Sony's fault this bug was introduced.
Are you telling me their hacking me?!!?!!?!? Those whores. I was wondering what that PSN game I installed did. It booted up suspiciously fast.

Adam Prime said:

Backup managers can load most games from external USB HDD, this is a repeat screwup by Sony which has nothing to do with stopping people from using their HDDs to load games.

JohngPR

Well, I'm glad that the first thing I did with my Slim I bought to replace my dead 60GB PS3 is install and format the 320GB HDD I had in my old launch-ish system.

I updated to 3.56 a week or so before I did the firmware update and haven't had any issues.

styl3s said:
I will try the external in a bit, this is fucking bullshit i cant put a bigger HDD in MY ps3, goddamn pirates are ruining it for everyone those bums

Well, you will be able to so long as Sony eventually releases the next firmware (or an updated 3.56) which contains the full FW update, not just a hotfix.

I had a new drive for my PS3, but it came in my new netbook -- after swapping the drives and starting the install (which included formatting of my old PS3 drive [no problem at the time, because I'd backed up before swapping]), I then found my PS3 wouldn't allow me to format it's new drive.

So until Sony fixes this, I can't use my PS3 at all.

lucius

Has Sony addressed this on their boards?

Anyone got links, I have an HDD I want to put in my slim but I did this stupid update before knowing about this.

In that situation, would an update in a USB stick work? Would 3.55 work if the PS3 was offline but had already seem the 3.56 update before?

If all fails, well... CFW should do the trick, I guess :p.

DryvBy

The best part of this is the title "NEw PS3 3.56 Feature Found! NO MORE HDD UPGRADES!!!".

But seriously, Sony quit screwing over your customers to stop a few people that will pirate, no matter what you do. Most of your paying customers aren't going to download 10gb to blu-ray size games to save a buck.

Wiv

I can't wait for the fix.
My new 500gb HDD is waiting...

Edit: According to this there is already a non mandatory patch for the fw 3.56.
I'm downloading it right now.

SuperÑ said:
Props to the firmware team, one more time.
Yeah, I may hate what the hackers have done just for the competitive online scene. But Sony, jeez, you are making it tougher and tougher to even be remotely sympathetic to your cause when you keep screwing us over.

Rollo Larson said:
can you tell me exactly what you did? there are no updates available for me, im already at the latest and still it wont work
i assume you're asking about 3.56? if that's the case then you need to manually update under setting. if that's not what you're asking idk xD

DMPrince said:
i assume you're asking about 3.56? if that's the case then you need to manually update under setting. if that's not what you're asking idk xD

yes thats what im asking. how?

manually as opposed to over the internet?

Luigiv

test_account said:
Yep, but some PS3 Phat models also uses 16MB:

Code:
    * FAT NAND SIZE
          o CECHA = 256MB
          o CECHB = 256MB
          o CECHC = 256MB
          o CECHE = 256MB
          o CECHG = 256MB
          o CECHH = 16MB
          o CECHJ = 16MB
          o CECHK = 16MB
          o CECHL = 16MB
          o CECHM = 16MB
          o CECHP = 16MB
          o CECHQ = 16MB
    * SLIM NAND SIZE
          o CECH-20..A = 16MB
          o CECH-20..B = 16MB
          o CECH-21..A = 16MB
          o CECH-21..B = 16MB
          o CECH-250.A = 16MB
          o CECH-250.B = 16MB
          o CECH-250.A = 16MB
          o CECH-250.B = 16MB
          o CECH-251.A = 16MB
          o CECH-251.B = 16MB
Hmm, mine is a CECHJ so this isn't good news for me. Well it's not like I have any concrete plans to update any time soon so I'm sure this'll be fixed long before I bother to do so.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Massa said:
It's been out for a while, there's a new 3.56 firmware.

Hmm, well I'm trying to upgrade a 40GB to a 120GB in a friend's system and keep getting the error message 'Data Corrupted.'

Massa

Kagari said:
Hmm, well I'm trying to upgrade a 40GB to a 120GB in a friend's system and keep getting the error message 'Data Corrupted.'

Make sure you're on the latest 3.56 version. You have to manually install it, it's an optional update.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Maybe it's the drive itself. It's an old one I had in an older PS3 with a really old firmware but when I try and format it off the PS3 it asks for 3.56 firmware, which I have loaded on a USB stick and then I get that corruption message.

Massa

Kagari said:
Maybe it's the drive itself. It's an old one I had in an older PS3 with a really old firmware but when I try and format it off the PS3 it asks for 3.56 firmware, which I have loaded on a USB stick and then I get that corruption message.

I think you need to do the update to the latest 3.56 with the original hard drive on the PS3.

Kagari said:

Same thing here, did you ever get it to work?

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
i love how when a case of plainly obvious countermeasures are enacted against pirating, its not "piracy's fault"

so all those DRM programs and serial numbers we are required to have to install programs are there because piracy didnt make it happen. right.

just sayin.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Some DRM is designed to kill the used game market for that title, and some I would go as far to say it meant to make it so a user will by the same game more then once.

SlaughterX said:
Same thing here, did you ever get it to work?

I upgraded my HDD a couple of days ago. You definitely need to manually (from a flash frive) upgrade to the new 3.56 with THE OLD HDD IN. Then swap to the new HDD with the 3.56 in a flash drive inserted and the new HDD will be formatted without any problem.

Sealda

Banned
First batch 40 GB here. CECHH...Makes me wish i never sold my launch unit. Fuck. Not just because of this, but because of the BC and everything! It was so sexy with better looking grills and everything.

Top Bottom