• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Darkmakaimura
Member
(02-05-2011, 07:46 PM)
Darkmakaimura's Avatar
So, I suffer from a lot of heartburn. I take Prilosec and it has helped tremendously. Last night, I went out for a little drinking (wasn't drunk) and came home and went to sleep. Today, I have some annoying heartburn. It's not horrible, but it's enough to prevent me from going to lunch. Any advice on what would be good to remedy this right now? Pepto Bismol or...?
Full Recovery
(02-05-2011, 07:49 PM)
Full Recovery's Avatar
Glass of milk.
LaserBuddha
Member
(02-05-2011, 07:51 PM)
LaserBuddha's Avatar
GO TO THE FUCKING HOSPITAL NOW
Darkmakaimura
Member
(02-05-2011, 07:51 PM)
Darkmakaimura's Avatar

Originally Posted by Full Recovery

Glass of milk.

Doesn't this aggrevate heartburn?

Milk has calcium and protein, and these cause even more acid in the stomach.
Meadows
Member
(02-05-2011, 07:52 PM)
Meadows's Avatar
Any dull pain in the chest, or any pain rising from your left arm up to your neck, or is it defs heartburn?

If so, then some over the counter medicine or alkaline stuff such as milk.
Stinkles
sober, clothed, willing
(02-05-2011, 07:52 PM)
Stinkles's Avatar

Originally Posted by LaserBuddha

GO TO THE FUCKING HOSPITAL NOW

Canttellifserious...
grumble
Member
(02-05-2011, 07:53 PM)
Milk won't work well. Also, it isn't alkaline. ph ranges from 6.4 to 6.8, making it slightly acidic.

Pepto-bismol demolishes heartburn.
claviertekky
Member
(02-05-2011, 07:53 PM)
claviertekky's Avatar
Baking soda.
Meadows
Member
(02-05-2011, 07:54 PM)
Meadows's Avatar

Originally Posted by grumble

Milk won't work well. Also, it isn't alkaline. ph ranges from 6.4 to 6.8, making it slightly acidic.

Pepto-bismol demolishes heartburn.

the more you know
Darkmakaimura
Member
(02-05-2011, 07:54 PM)
Darkmakaimura's Avatar

Originally Posted by Meadows

Any dull pain in the chest, or any pain rising from your left arm up to your neck, or is it defs heartburn?

If so, then some over the counter medicine or alkaline stuff such as milk.

No, no signs of 'heart attack'. I've had heartburn for years now.

BTW, see my post above why milk is not a good idea.

So I guess running out for some Pepto is my best bet then?
Aselith
Banned
(02-05-2011, 07:56 PM)
Aselith's Avatar
4 Antacid usually works in about an hour.
claviertekky
Member
(02-05-2011, 07:58 PM)
claviertekky's Avatar

Originally Posted by Darkmakaimura

No, no signs of 'heart attack'. I've had heartburn for years now.

BTW, see my post above why milk is not a good idea.

So I guess running out for some Pepto is my best bet then?

Tums works as well.
SephCast
Member
(02-05-2011, 08:06 PM)
SephCast's Avatar
Slightly Live
Dirty tag dodger
(02-05-2011, 08:08 PM)
Slightly Live's Avatar
Milk does it for me...
Darklord
Member
(02-05-2011, 08:10 PM)
Darklord's Avatar
Take an antacid.
Misterinenja
Member
(02-05-2011, 08:12 PM)
Misterinenja's Avatar
Got my first heartburn few months ago.

How blissfully ignorant I spent the last 20 years before that!
WinoMcCougarstein
everyone I meet
will get a text and tweet
of my dong (my dong)
(02-05-2011, 08:12 PM)
WinoMcCougarstein's Avatar
I get heartburn often and Tums gives me instant relief.
mrkgoo
Member
(02-05-2011, 08:16 PM)
I,ve heard crackers and stuff do well. It's the baking soda.

I once tried an irreversible proton pump inhibitor, and that worked REALLY well.
Nerevar
they call me "Man Gravy".
(02-05-2011, 08:18 PM)
Nerevar's Avatar


?
Darkmakaimura
Member
(02-05-2011, 08:19 PM)
Darkmakaimura's Avatar

Originally Posted by mrkgoo

I once tried an irreversible proton pump inhibitor, and that worked REALLY well.

Yeah I take Prilosec (a PPI) and it's still the best thing for heartburn over the long run. I've never really had much luck with Pepto but I haven't taken it in awhile. Guess I should hit the store for some.
MisterAnderson
Little Big NeoContra
(02-05-2011, 08:22 PM)
MisterAnderson's Avatar
Drink a tablespoon of vinegar or cider, seriously. It tastes a bit nasty but it will immediately start to take effect in eliminating heart burn.
Ashhong
Member
(02-05-2011, 08:23 PM)
Ashhong's Avatar

Originally Posted by Darkmakaimura

Doesn't this aggrevate heartburn?

Milk has calcium and protein, and these cause even more acid in the stomach.

I have frequent heartburn, probably like every day. Milk helps for temporary, instant relief.

I find tums helps in a moderate amount of time, and I take Aciphex which helps after the Tums wears off.
Crazyorloco
Member
(02-05-2011, 08:28 PM)
Crazyorloco's Avatar
Isn't prilosec only to be used for two weeks? I get heartburn lot, if I can use it everyday I will. It works great.
D-Pad
Member
(02-05-2011, 08:29 PM)
D-Pad's Avatar

Originally Posted by Meadows

Any dull pain in the chest, or any pain rising from your left arm up to your neck, or is it defs heartburn?

This happens to me, pain in both arms and chest after certain soft-drinks. Why?!

And yes, Pepto gets rid of it...
Sqorgar
Banned
(02-05-2011, 08:30 PM)
Sqorgar's Avatar

Originally Posted by Darkmakaimura

Yeah I take Prilosec (a PPI) and it's still the best thing for heartburn over the long run. I've never really had much luck with Pepto but I haven't taken it in awhile. Guess I should hit the store for some.

How frequently do you take it? I've had GERD for pretty much my entire adult life and I've been on Nexium for about ten years. I've recently been told that PPIs have a seriously high risk of osteoporosis and brittle bones. But that's not the bad part. The bad part is that your body develops a need for the PPI and you can't just stop cold turkey. The Nexium Rebound, as they call it, had me literally burping clouds of acid and the pain was excruciating - even with stuff like Zantac and Tums to help me through it. I had to taper off of Nexium slowly over a period of six months and it was not fun.

Long story short, doctors are moving away from frequent PPI prescriptions and going for lifestyle changes (no fried foods, tomato based products, alcohol, caffeinated drinks, tea, or spicy foods) instead.

Originally Posted by Crazyorloco

Isn't prilosec only to be used for two weeks? I get heartburn lot, if I can use it everyday I will. It works great.

Don't take it every day, but if you mix it up with other stuff, you can prevent your body from becoming addicted to it.
Aselith
Banned
(02-05-2011, 08:31 PM)
Aselith's Avatar

Originally Posted by Ashhong

I have frequent heartburn, probably like every day. Milk helps for temporary, instant relief.

I find tums helps in a moderate amount of time, and I take Aciphex which helps after the Tums wears off.

http://www.healthscout.com/ency/68/418/main.html

"Contrary to popular belief, milk is not a recommended antidote to heartburn. A glass of milk does provide immediate relief as it goes down, but milk contains calcium and protein, and these eventually stimulate even more acid production in the stomach. This can cause a more severe heartburn that can return in as little as a half an hour."
Ashhong
Member
(02-05-2011, 08:32 PM)
Ashhong's Avatar

Originally Posted by Aselith

http://www.healthscout.com/ency/68/418/main.html

"Contrary to popular belief, milk is not a recommended antidote to heartburn. A glass of milk does provide immediate relief as it goes down, but milk contains calcium and protein, and these eventually stimulate even more acid production in the stomach. This can cause a more severe heartburn that can return in as little as a half an hour."

That's right about the time that the Tums kicks in! :lol
Grimm Fandango
Member
(02-05-2011, 08:32 PM)
Grimm Fandango's Avatar

Originally Posted by Crazyorloco

Isn't prilosec only to be used for two weeks? I get heartburn lot, if I can use it everyday I will. It works great.

Without a doctor, it's only recommended to have a 14 day regimen every few months.

Many patients use PPIs for months at a time under doctor's orders.
The Take Out Bandit
grrrrrrr bungle snitches!
rrrrrrrrrrrrr baba britches!
sumthin sumthin itches!
DRAGGGUUULLLAAA!!!
(02-05-2011, 09:07 PM)
The Take Out Bandit's Avatar

Originally Posted by Sqorgar

How frequently do you take it? I've had GERD for pretty much my entire adult life and I've been on Nexium for about ten years. I've recently been told that PPIs have a seriously high risk of osteoporosis and brittle bones. But that's not the bad part. The bad part is that your body develops a need for the PPI and you can't just stop cold turkey. The Nexium Rebound, as they call it, had me literally burping clouds of acid and the pain was excruciating - even with stuff like Zantac and Tums to help me through it. I had to taper off of Nexium slowly over a period of six months and it was not fun.

Long story short, doctors are moving away from frequent PPI prescriptions and going for lifestyle changes (no fried foods, tomato based products, alcohol, caffeinated drinks, tea, or spicy foods) instead.

No spicy foods is the deal breaker for me. Is it my weak European genetics!? >:|

And to OP, OTC stuff may work for a while; but if the heartburn is persistent you really need to see a doctor. I tried all the OTC solutions and none of them helped long term, and IIRC the Prilosec gave me horrible headaches so I couldn't take that.

Nexium is what I'm on now and a low 20mg IIRC dose daily keeps me from burning up.
TylerD
Member
(02-05-2011, 09:11 PM)
TylerD's Avatar
Counteract your heartburn with habenero peppers. Blend them up with a couple of ounces of Sriracha, that should take care of it.

Tum tum tum TUMS.
BertramCooper
Member
(02-05-2011, 09:15 PM)
A teaspoon or so of baking soda mixed with a bit of warm water.

It tastes awful, obviously, but it usually does the trick.
wienke
Member
(02-05-2011, 09:17 PM)
wienke's Avatar
I was having horrible heartburn but then I gave up Diet Coke and all carbonation in general.

It completely went away! I can do spicy foods no problem also. Still can't even touch anything carbonated without it coming back though.
C.Dark.DN
previously DeathNote
(02-05-2011, 09:22 PM)
C.Dark.DN's Avatar

Originally Posted by Darkmakaimura

So, I suffer from a lot of heartburn. I take Prilosec and it has helped tremendously. Last night, I went out for a little drinking (wasn't drunk) and came home and went to sleep. Today, I have some annoying heartburn. It's not horrible, but it's enough to prevent me from going to lunch. Any advice on what would be good to remedy this right now? Pepto Bismol or...?

You need to see a GI doctor for future care. You don't want to take OTC stuff more than a few weeks.
Last edited by C.Dark.DN; 02-05-2011 at 09:26 PM.

Thread Tools