• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

Feep
Second-hand Citizen
(05-05-2011, 09:25 PM)
Feep's Avatar

Originally Posted by Choppasmith

Sadly, I don't have a 360. Would you mind terribly if I post about this on something like Ponychan, or maybe submit it to Equestria Daily, I would imagine it might get some more attention and downloads for your game?

I do not. = D
Darte
Member
(05-05-2011, 09:25 PM)
Darte's Avatar
Would we be able to make Season 2 thread in OT though?
Pancakes
hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
(05-05-2011, 09:26 PM)
Pancakes's Avatar

Originally Posted by OMG Aero

Since so many people wanted to watch, I'm definitely going to synchtube tomorrow's episode now. I've made a note of everyone so far who wants to watch so I can PM them the room's password, if anyone else wants to watch the finale tomorrow with everyone else say so in this thread and I'll add you to the list. I'll post with more details tomorrow but the important thing is that (Providing the episode is up) I'll open the room at midnight GMT and there'll be 15 minutes of other pony videos to make sure everything works and so no-one misses the start.


That looks really cool! Did you make a version with the GAF logo colours to see how that looked?

I am down for this, should be interesting.
Odrion
Banned
(05-05-2011, 09:42 PM)
Odrion's Avatar

Originally Posted by Snaku

Sent to die.

Banished and thrown into a dungeon to the place duckroll banished it to.
How About No
Banned
(05-05-2011, 09:45 PM)
How About No's Avatar
What is a Community Subforum

I have never heard of such a thing
Furret
Banned
(05-05-2011, 09:55 PM)

Originally Posted by duckroll

I'm saying the nature of the thread in general fits Community better than OT, the only reason it hasn't been moved yet is because the season is still airing and I want to keep it here until after the finale airs.

What nature would this be? The fact that you don't like it?

How is this thread different from any other thread about a TV show?
Negator
Member
(05-05-2011, 09:55 PM)
Negator's Avatar
Community is like when you send the old people who have overstayed their welcome to a retirement home to die a slow lonely death (ironically).
Last edited by Negator; 05-05-2011 at 10:04 PM.
Mechanical Snowman
Member
(05-05-2011, 10:03 PM)
Mechanical Snowman's Avatar

Originally Posted by Furret

What nature would this be? The fact that you don't like it?

How is this thread different from any other thread about a TV show?

Duckroll watches MLP.

But your second question is fair, I didn't really question or even think about why this thread will be getting special treatment but now I'm curious.
Furret
Banned
(05-05-2011, 10:05 PM)

Originally Posted by Mechanical Snowman

Duckroll watches MLP.

But your second question is fair, I didn't really question or even think about why this thread will be getting special treatment but now I'm curious.

I don't see how it's any different from, say, the Doctor Who thread. That show is only on TV for about 12 weeks a year and yet the thread is always very popular.

Why would My Little Pony be any different?
Amibguous Cad
Member
(05-05-2011, 10:06 PM)
Amibguous Cad's Avatar

Originally Posted by Articalys

There is one thing I wonder in the aftermath of all this.
If the same standards of writing, animation, characterization, voice acting, music, etc. had all been applied to a different brand-new cartoon, aimed at the same audience, but without the whole pony thing, would it have been anywhere near as internet-successful?

No, I really don't think so. The love is just as justified no matter what form it takes, but the whole "An MLP show that's actually good!" is a pretty effective hook. I know that's what madem e decide that I had to check it out, even when the hype around stuff like adventure time wasn't really enough to get me to check it out.'

Originally Posted by Choppasmith

Sadly, I don't have a 360. Would you mind terribly if I post about this on something like Ponychan, or maybe submit it to Equestria Daily, I would imagine it might get some more attention and downloads for your game?

I second the submission to Equestria Daily.

Originally Posted by Darte

Would we be able to make Season 2 thread in OT though?

If we're being allowed to stay in OT till the season ends, it stand to reason we'd be back in OT when the new season airs.

The move to community is a little disappointing in the sense that we probably won't be seeing many new faces in the topic, but at least we can be back for season 2.
Last edited by Amibguous Cad; 05-05-2011 at 10:13 PM.
Captain Fish
Member
(05-05-2011, 10:10 PM)
Captain Fish's Avatar
Well if most of the discussion is about working on a project in preparation of season 2, wouldn't that fall under community?

I think a better solution would be to leave this where it is and make a new community thread for the interim. That way people looking for episode discussion would still be able to find it where it should be.

Edit: Or if there is precedence for these threads staying in OT during long breaks, maybe it should just stay?
duckroll
mashadar's Nekomimi slave
(05-05-2011, 10:11 PM)
duckroll's Avatar

Originally Posted by Furret

What nature would this be? The fact that you don't like it?

How is this thread different from any other thread about a TV show?

I like how you assume that somehow I'm attacking the show when I'm the only mod who actually watches and enjoys it, which is why I'm posting to give the heads up that it is going to be moved.

We generally move eternally fast-moving threads which have built a sort of sub-community. Basically when most of the posts are no longer talking about the actual content of the show, but rather community stuff instead which includes but is not limited to: fan art, fan fiction, general subculture of the show, general interactions between members, etc. Most of the time, this applies to popular games. MLP is definitely notable because the thread continues to frequently the top of the OT forum, regardless of actual discussion about a given episode.

The building of the community forum is something relatively recent. If such a practice was around when Lost was airing, it would almost certainly have also gone into the community forum after it finished airing.
Pandaman
Everything is moe to me
(05-05-2011, 10:13 PM)
Pandaman's Avatar
now ill never have to leave the community boards. >_>
Furret
Banned
(05-05-2011, 10:13 PM)

Originally Posted by duckroll

I like how you assume that somehow I'm attacking the show when I'm the only mod who actually watches and enjoys it, which is why I'm posting to give the heads up that it is going to be moved.

We generally move eternally fast-moving threads which have built a sort of sub-community. Basically when most of the posts are no longer talking about the actual content of the show, but rather community stuff instead which includes but is not limited to: fan art, fan fiction, general subculture of the show, general interactions between members, etc. Most of the time, this applies to popular games. MLP is definitely notable because the thread continues to frequently the top of the OT forum, regardless of actual discussion about a given episode.

The building of the community forum is something relatively recent. If such a practice was around when Lost was airing, it would almost certainly have also gone into the community forum after it finished airing.

I made the assumption because the decision seems to single My Little Pony out for special, and entirely negative, treatment.

What other non-game topics have or are going to be moved to the Community ghetto?
Amibguous Cad
Member
(05-05-2011, 10:15 PM)
Amibguous Cad's Avatar
Better the community board than be sacrificed to the mods' quixotic quest to destroy anything that looks like a subcommunity or megathread.
Pancakes
hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
(05-05-2011, 10:16 PM)
Pancakes's Avatar

Originally Posted by Pandaman

now ill never have to leave the community boards. >_>

Starcraft and ponies forever together :D.
Firehead
Adam's Significant Otter
(05-05-2011, 10:16 PM)
Firehead's Avatar

Originally Posted by duckroll

I like how you assume that somehow I'm attacking the show when I'm the only mod who actually watches and enjoys it, which is why I'm posting to give the heads up that it is going to be moved.

We generally move eternally fast-moving threads which have built a sort of sub-community. Basically when most of the posts are no longer talking about the actual content of the show, but rather community stuff instead which includes but is not limited to: fan art, fan fiction, general subculture of the show, general interactions between members, etc. Most of the time, this applies to popular games. MLP is definitely notable because the thread continues to frequently the top of the OT forum, regardless of actual discussion about a given episode.

The building of the community forum is something relatively recent. If such a practice was around when Lost was airing, it would almost certainly have also gone into the community forum after it finished airing.

Okie dokie lokie, that sounds reasonable, now that you put it that way.
duckroll
mashadar's Nekomimi slave
(05-05-2011, 10:17 PM)
duckroll's Avatar

Originally Posted by Furret

I made the assumption because the decision seems to single My Little Pony out for special, and entirely negative, treatment.

What other non-game topics have or are going to be moved to the Community ghetto?

It is very difficult for me to seriously respond to the assumption that this is negative treatment, and that community is somehow a "ghetto", because it is not true. It is the same message board, with the same users, and I do not think that anyone should have a problem posting there. It's simply a form of categorizing threads. To continue discussion further would be to derail this thread into a policy argument, and I'm sure no one wants that.
Furret
Banned
(05-05-2011, 10:19 PM)

Originally Posted by duckroll

It is very difficult for me to seriously respond to the assumption that this is negative treatment, and that community is somehow a "ghetto", because it is not true. It is the same message board, with the same users, and I do not think that anyone should have a problem posting there. It's simply a form of categorizing threads. To continue discussion further would be to derail this thread into a policy argument, and I'm sure no one wants that.

OK, so the answer is no other non-game threads?
duckroll
mashadar's Nekomimi slave
(05-05-2011, 10:23 PM)
duckroll's Avatar

Originally Posted by Furret

OK, so the answer is no other non-game threads?

To be honest, I don't know. This is the first OT thread that I will personally be moving to Community, because it was suggested by Evilore a week or two ago that it should be moved. I suggested for the season to be over first, since some users actually discuss the episodes after watching them, and don't participate in the other discussions. After all it's ending this week.

This isn't a case where I'm sitting here deciding to move a bunch of threads randomly to Community. It is a unique situation for MLP because the season is ending, and I'm communicating this move because I actually watch the show and post in this thread. I hope you understand.
Pandaman
Everything is moe to me
(05-05-2011, 10:24 PM)
Pandaman's Avatar

Originally Posted by Furret

OK, so the answer is no other non-game threads?

we are the pioneers, the first of the OT to be worthy to stand next to big gaming threads on this videogame forum.
Amibguous Cad
Member
(05-05-2011, 10:25 PM)
Amibguous Cad's Avatar
Ooooh, one of the makers of Hot Fuzz hoticed the Trot Fuzz video!

http://www.edgarwrighthere.com/2011/05/05/trot-fuzz/

Originally Posted by duckroll

To be honest, I don't know. This is the first OT thread that I will personally be moving to Community, because it was suggested by Evilore a week or two ago that it should be moved. I suggested for the season to be over first, since some users actually discuss the episodes after watching them, and don't participate in the other discussions. After all it's ending this week.

This isn't a case where I'm sitting here deciding to move a bunch of threads randomly to Community. It is a unique situation for MLP because the season is ending, and I'm communicating this move because I actually watch the show and post in this thread. I hope you understand.

Will we be back in OT for season 2?
How About No
Banned
(05-05-2011, 10:25 PM)
How About No's Avatar

Originally Posted by Furret

OK, so the answer is no other non-game threads?

We be startin' a new trend, baby.
Mechanical Snowman
Member
(05-05-2011, 10:25 PM)
Mechanical Snowman's Avatar

Originally Posted by Furret

OK, so the answer is no other non-game threads?

What's the problem? You seem to be the only one that sees this as some sort of discrimination and you're definitely not a regular to the thread (not knowing that duckroll watches the show and has posted here frequently, for example) so it seems like you're arguing for the sake of arguing.

I'm not suggesting that you don't have the right to disagree based on your low post count, it's just weird that you're taking issue with this more than any one else here.
Sciz
Member
(05-05-2011, 10:27 PM)
Sciz's Avatar
Community doesn't get browsed the way Gaming and OT are, but as long as pony avatars continue to exist, there will be people seeking out the source.
Furret
Banned
(05-05-2011, 10:29 PM)

Originally Posted by duckroll

To be honest, I don't know. This is the first OT thread that I will personally be moving to Community, because it was suggested by Evilore a week or two ago that it should be moved. I suggested for the season to be over first, since some users actually discuss the episodes after watching them, and don't participate in the other discussions. After all it's ending this week.

This isn't a case where I'm sitting here deciding to move a bunch of threads randomly to Community. It is a unique situation for MLP because the season is ending, and I'm communicating this move because I actually watch the show and post in this thread. I hope you understand.

No, I don't understand. But it's your board you carry on.

But I would never have seen the My Little Pony thread if it had been in the Community section, and I think it will be a shame if others miss out the chance to discover the show as well just because some mod hates ponies/wants to promote some new area of the site.

At the very least wouldn't it have been better to move over a number of long-running OT threads at the same time - so that people get the idea that non-game threads get retired to the Community section too?
duckroll
mashadar's Nekomimi slave
(05-05-2011, 10:31 PM)
duckroll's Avatar

Originally Posted by Furret

But it's your board you carry on.

No, it's not my board. Let's make that clear. I'm being helpful here, and you're acting like I'm some sort of enemy.
Amibguous Cad
Member
(05-05-2011, 10:33 PM)
Amibguous Cad's Avatar
Yeah, based on this rationale, I'm not sure why sportsGAF hasn't been moved over to community, either. Either way, though, the MLP thread seems to be what the community subforum was made for, so I can't really complain.
DeadPhoenix
Member
(05-05-2011, 10:37 PM)
DeadPhoenix's Avatar
I probably won't be watching the new episode live anyways, so if possible I'd like to get into this synctube party as well.
DrForester
Kills Photobucket
(05-05-2011, 10:37 PM)
DrForester's Avatar

Originally Posted by Amibguous Cad

Yeah, based on this rationale, I'm not sure why sportsGAF hasn't been moved over to community, either. Either way, though, the MLP thread seems to be what the community subforum was made for, so I can't really complain.


Sports stuff is constantly updating. New "episodes" if you will. Same with TV threads. Outside the occasional bumps TV threads just die off once they're over. Closest thing to a existing community thread for TV not airing would be the Star Trek thread, but that's not exactly a fast paced thread.
Master Milk
Member
(05-05-2011, 10:39 PM)
Master Milk's Avatar
Getting moved to Community definitely isn't the greatest of news, but that'll just make S2 OT2 even more glorious, especially if we can rock the Belle Eve avatars.
mj1108
Member
(05-05-2011, 10:40 PM)

Originally Posted by duckroll

No, it's not my board. Let's make that clear. I'm being helpful here, and you're acting like I'm some sort of enemy.

I think we all know you're just being helpful. I think some just feel as though the thread is being sent to die. I think as long as PonyGAF can return to OT with the season 2 thread, things will be fine.
G-Fex
(05-05-2011, 10:43 PM)

Originally Posted by duckroll

No, it's not my board. Let's make that clear. I'm being helpful here, and you're acting like I'm some sort of enemy.

You're some sort of enemy? How dare you! I've just about had it up to here with your enemy doings. Out Villainous duck, Out I say!
DrForester
Kills Photobucket
(05-05-2011, 10:43 PM)
DrForester's Avatar

Originally Posted by mj1108

I think we all know you're just being helpful. I think some just feel as though the thread is being sent to die. I think as long as PonyGAF can return to OT with the season 2 thread, things will be fine.

Why would people think Season 2 would NOT be allowed back into OT?
KtSlime
Member
(05-05-2011, 10:46 PM)
KtSlime's Avatar
I don't mind being moved to Community, however it does seem rather odd. I never go to Community, I always felt it was for online gaming, and that's not really my thing. However, I do kind of feel it is an out of sight out of mind kind of move. I know you are not responsible for it Duckroll, and once again I don't really care, however my curiosity is peaked, it definitely seems to be different treatment compared to other threads in OT.

I think it would be nice to have more of a movement to build up the Community section of NeoGAF, however I understand why Furret would look at is as kind of the NeoGAF ghetto.



Is this a start of a new trend, or are we just a one-off?
duckroll
mashadar's Nekomimi slave
(05-05-2011, 10:49 PM)
duckroll's Avatar

Originally Posted by G-Fex

You're some sort of enemy? How dare you! I've just about had it up to here with your enemy doings. Out Villainous duck, Out I say!

That's it. I'm keeping the moon up FOREVER. You all had your chance, but now you will suffer my under-appreciated night eternally! :P
DrForester
Kills Photobucket
(05-05-2011, 10:52 PM)
DrForester's Avatar

Originally Posted by Furret

What nature would this be? The fact that you don't like it?

How is this thread different from any other thread about a TV show?


Someone needs a forced Gilda avatar
meltingparappa
Member
(05-05-2011, 10:52 PM)
meltingparappa's Avatar
I just want to reiterate that to me, there have been no shortage of legitimate reasons to shut the thread down Pandaman you are wonderful and Duckroll has been nothing but magnanimous.

If it's a choice between
  • being the first (but not last) show thread to go to the Community section during its off-season just to revel in basically the same conversations that have been going on for the past two months then return with a better OT when season 2 premiers in less than a year
OR
  • becoming insular and generally unfriendly to newcomers like the old Rock Band thread was, which resulted in several bans because it was too difficult to slow a train that has been barreling down that path for far too long
...then I can't see how anyone would get a persecution complex over it.

Besides, season 2 start in like what, October? Plenty of time to work on a plethora of personal pony projects to populate the perfect potential posts in the new thread.
mazeedibeedi
Member
(05-05-2011, 10:53 PM)
mazeedibeedi's Avatar

Originally Posted by duckroll

No, it's not my board. Let's make that clear. I'm being helpful here, and you're acting like I'm some sort of enemy.

I have a question. If all of PonyGaf started using Belle Eve Avatar on Pony Day, would that risk getting this thread locked and some bannings?
G-Fex
(05-05-2011, 10:54 PM)

Originally Posted by duckroll

That's it. I'm keeping the moon up FOREVER. You all had your chance, but now you will suffer my under-appreciated night eternally! :P

Hmph, by keeping the Moon up you've activated the worshipingness of the Gothic Ponies.

Good luck with that
Myke Greywolf
Ambassador of Goodwill
(05-05-2011, 10:54 PM)
Myke Greywolf's Avatar
Let's just take what we have and run with it, people. :)

We're lucky that we're even still going like this, after what this thread has gone through.
KtSlime
Member
(05-05-2011, 10:57 PM)
KtSlime's Avatar

Originally Posted by Myke Greywolf

Let's just take what we have and run with it, people. :)

We're lucky that we're even still going like this, after what this thread has gone through.

Agreed, maybe we can bring some life and friendship over to the Community part of NeoGAF.
DrForester
Kills Photobucket
(05-05-2011, 10:58 PM)
DrForester's Avatar
neat shirt designs.
http://elementsofbronyhood.spreadshi.../designs/index
Last edited by DrForester; 05-05-2011 at 11:03 PM.
G-Fex
(05-05-2011, 10:59 PM)

Originally Posted by DrForester

neat shirt designs.
http://elementsofbronyhood.spreadshi.../designs/index

I know what I'm getting you for christmas

a cutie mark crusaders shirt
mazeedibeedi
Member
(05-05-2011, 11:00 PM)
mazeedibeedi's Avatar

Originally Posted by Myke Greywolf

Let's just take what we have and run with it, people. :)

We're lucky that we're even still going like this, after what this thread has gone through.

.

I think its a fair deal. We're gonna be the first non-gaming thread to become part of the Community thread and we can prepare for a kickass Season 2 OT.
Zomba13
Member
(05-05-2011, 11:00 PM)
Zomba13's Avatar

Originally Posted by duckroll

That's it. I'm keeping the moon up FOREVER. You all had your chance, but now you will suffer my under-appreciated night eternally! :P

D:

So the community forum is the moon then? We'll be back here in about 1000 years though right?

I don't see the problem though. We'll be back stronger than ever for season 2 with OT2.
dalin80
Banned
(05-05-2011, 11:00 PM)
dalin80's Avatar
How long has that community tab been there? never noticed it before.
RomanticHeroX
Member
(05-05-2011, 11:02 PM)
I'd wear a Quills and Sofas shirt.
KtSlime
Member
(05-05-2011, 11:02 PM)
KtSlime's Avatar

Originally Posted by dalin80

How long has that community tab been there? never noticed it before.

Since the redesign about a year ago (has it already been that long?)
Bufbaf
Member
(05-05-2011, 11:02 PM)
Bufbaf's Avatar

Originally Posted by mazeedibeedi

.

I think its a fair deal. We're gonna be the first non-gaming thread to become part of the Community thread and we can prepare for a kickass Season 2 OT.

Yeah, I could live with that :)

Thread Tools