• TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

duckroll
mashadar's Nekomimi slave
(12-01-2011, 09:42 AM)

Originally Posted by Tence

Who is he and what did he ruin?

He's the creative mind behind Lost and the new Star Trek movies. I wouldn't say he ruined anything, but he has a very....TV-campy sensibility when it comes to scifi.
Discotheque
Pam Oliver sextape
(12-01-2011, 09:44 AM)

Originally Posted by Spotless Mind

That hacks involvement is what's keeping me from getting excited.

well that and Ridley Scott's grossly inconsistent record (makes good films 50% of the time).
Tence
(12-01-2011, 09:45 AM)

Originally Posted by duckroll

He's the creative mind behind Lost and the new Star Trek movies. I wouldn't say he ruined anything, but he has a very....TV-campy sensibility when it comes to scifi.

Well Lost started out fine.
That new Star Trek campy lensflare fest doesn't seem very compatible with the Alien Universe though.
duckroll
(12-01-2011, 09:47 AM)

Originally Posted by Discotheque

well that and Ridley Scott's grossly inconsistent record (makes good films 50% of the time).

Well he already shat out a dud with Robin Hood, so this next one should be good right?!
Discotheque
Pam Oliver sextape
(12-01-2011, 09:49 AM)
going by that math you should be right.....but then again he made Body of Lies and Robin Hood back to back :/
duckroll
(12-01-2011, 09:51 AM)

going by that math you should be right.....but then again he made Body of Lies and Robin Hood back to back :/

That just means Prometheus is going to be TWICE as awesome. Right? C'mon, think positive!
Discotheque
Pam Oliver sextape
(12-01-2011, 09:51 AM)
you're like a statistical genius, hope slowly restoring.
EliCash
(12-01-2011, 09:56 AM)
If we are to take Sci-Fi Ridley Scott as a separate director from the Robin Hood Ridley Scott, then we should be statistically golden, right?
Anteater
(12-01-2011, 10:06 AM)
Those costumes looks weird :(

I might need to rewatch the alien films to get caught up, been a while since I've watched them.
aerts1js
(12-01-2011, 10:29 AM)
Sure, Ridley Scott's track record isn't perfect but when he hits a grand slam it's freakin amazing.
zoukka
(12-01-2011, 10:30 AM)
Thos shots look like they're from some budget sci-fi series.
Veidt
Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
(12-01-2011, 10:31 AM)

Lindelof didn't write the stark trek film in 2009 iirc
duckroll
(12-01-2011, 10:33 AM)

Originally Posted by Veidt

Oh, right, that was Kurtzman and Orci. Now I feel bad about even associating Lindelof with them. My bad! :(
Tence
(12-01-2011, 10:36 AM)

Originally Posted by Veidt

He produced it though!

yeah I totally looked that up on Imdb
Fallout-NL
(12-01-2011, 10:41 AM)

Yeah, unfortunate for a film like this.
duckroll
(12-01-2011, 10:47 AM)

He produced it though!

yeah I totally looked that up on Imdb

Yeah but he's actually writing the next Trek movie.
MadOdorMachine
No additional functions
(12-01-2011, 10:50 AM)

I think the wide shot of them gathering around the light on the ground is the only film screen actually. The Big sculpture shot seems like something they specifically cropped and finished as some sort of poster shot. Either way, it just feels a bit odd to me. The costume design decisions seem to invoke more of a Star Trek feel than an Aliens feel, but maybe that's what Scott is going for this time? I dunno.

Edit: I'm talking about this one.

What's that dead body on the bottom right? That looks pretty "Alien" but I agree, the suits look Star-Trekie. Charlize Theron is a spitting image of Zero Suit Samus though.
SCULLIBUNDO
(12-01-2011, 11:42 AM)
People also have to keep in mind that this doesn't appear to be some random trucker mining team, which would explain why they have different uniforms.
Keen
Aliens ate my babysitter
(12-01-2011, 11:49 AM)

Originally Posted by Scullibundo

People also have to keep in mind that this doesn't appear to be some random trucker mining team, which would explain why they have different uniforms.

This!

You would imagine that some kind of top science exploratory team would have the best equipment available, contrary to the random truckers of Alien. But it does look a bit too high tech for a time period preceding that of Alien, but that's probably unavoidable.
Fallout-NL
(12-01-2011, 11:52 AM)
It would have been great if they could somehow have reproduced that 70's future aesthetic.

The science team status explains something, but I think we can agree that Charlize is looking very seven-of-nine in that skin tight get-up.
Truant
(12-01-2011, 11:54 AM)
My guess is that the suits in Alien were meant to be used in deep space, for fixing the Nostromo when it's not docked. These suits are just for exploring planets and such. I have no problem believing that they have thin fabrics that are both durable and resistant to extreme temperatures, when they can travel to foreign worlds.
Veidt
(12-01-2011, 11:57 AM)
I am sure the original suit design will somehow be featured in the film. It's way too iconic to just ignore and overlook. Stay positive gaf. Believe.
Snaku
Sperm Receptacle
(12-01-2011, 11:58 AM)
Can't wait for the Blade Runner "sequel" where everyone's wearing the latest Abercrombie & Fitch.
Spire
Subconscious Brolonging
(12-01-2011, 11:59 AM)
I haven't followed the plot details too closely but aren't these scientists/astronauts? I wouldn't expect them to look like space truckers. The dirt and grime is still there, but only in the places it should be. And I have a feeling we'll be seeing those nice, clean ship interiors get plenty dirty before the film is over.
Proteus
BOSS
(12-01-2011, 12:15 PM)
I think those shots look great. Can't fucking wait for this.
Woz
(12-01-2011, 12:32 PM)
I've tweaked the picture:

Tom_Cody
(12-01-2011, 12:36 PM)

Originally Posted by Woz

I've tweaked the picture:

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The Bookerman
(12-01-2011, 12:39 PM)
Who's the red head:

Is this the girl with the dragon tatoo?
jett
D-Member
(12-01-2011, 12:44 PM)

But Body of Lies is pretty good
Tence
(12-01-2011, 12:46 PM)

Originally Posted by The Bookerman

Who's the red head:

Is this the girl with the dragon tatoo?

Yes

Noomi Rapace

jett
D-Member
(12-01-2011, 12:47 PM)

Originally Posted by Scullibundo

That's really no excuse. What about the company man Burke in Aliens, or the marines? They didn't wear anything similar to this mass effect-looking stupid-ass pseudo-armor.
Chiggs
Oh that my words were now spoken!
Oh that they were printed in a book!
(12-01-2011, 12:49 PM)
Damon Lindelof? Yikes.
Salvor.Hardin
Banned
(12-01-2011, 12:59 PM)

Originally Posted by jett

That's really no excuse. What about the company man Burke in Aliens, or the marines? They didn't wear anything similar to this mass effect-looking stupid-ass pseudo-armor.

Isn't this movie meant to be set at a different time than when Alien and Aliens take place? That would be a very good reason why they're not wearing anything similar to what was worn by the marines in Aliens.

I'm probably in the minority here, but I think the suits look great.
VistraNorrez
(12-01-2011, 01:02 PM)

Yes it is a reason. It's also in the past (and way in the past compared to Aliens). If anything the suits remind me of 50s sci-fi anyway.
Proteus
BOSS
(12-01-2011, 01:03 PM)

Yes

Noomi Rapace

Better with eye brows.

Originally Posted by Chiggs

Damon Lindelof? Yikes.

I think Lindelof is just fine. He has the ability to tell a really good story.
Veidt
(12-01-2011, 01:10 PM)

Originally Posted by VistraNorrez

Yes it is a reason. It's also in the past (and way in the past compared to Aliens). If anything the suits remind me of 50s sci-fi anyway.

The suits remind me of this:

Tom_Cody
(12-01-2011, 01:17 PM)

But Body of Lies is pretty good

I loved body of lies actually. I still can't believe that didn't take off as a franchise for DiCaprio. Also, Mark Strong was amazing in that.

subversus
I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
(12-01-2011, 01:31 PM)

Yes

Noomi Rapace

wow, Deus Ex.
Tedesco!
unemployed member of
the Jewish conspiracy
(12-01-2011, 01:54 PM)

Marines are Marines and Burke was a civilian.
duckroll
(12-01-2011, 01:55 PM)

Originally Posted by Tedesco!

Marines are Marines and Burke was a civilian.

So these guys are Trekkies? Is that it? Lol.
Insane Metal
Dispensed Internet Salt
(12-01-2011, 02:01 PM)
http://thefilmstage.com/wp-content/u...omotheus_2.jpg

Ugh, is that Shane from The Walking Dead? I freaking HATE him in the show. That's not good.

edit: Promotheus, lol :P
Tom_Cody
(12-01-2011, 02:05 PM)

Originally Posted by Insane Metal

http://thefilmstage.com/wp-content/u...omotheus_2.jpg

Ugh, is that Shane from The Walking Dead? I freaking HATE him in the show. That's not good.

edit: Promotheus, lol :P

No, it isn't.
Guerrillas in the Mist
(12-01-2011, 02:07 PM)
I forgot how attractive Noomi Rapace is when she's not playing Lisbeth Salander.
Tedesco!
unemployed member of
the Jewish conspiracy
(12-01-2011, 02:08 PM)
FWIW, the Alien Anthology is on sale for about $40 at Amazon.
Tedesco!
unemployed member of
the Jewish conspiracy
(12-01-2011, 02:12 PM)

So these guys are Trekkies? Is that it? Lol.

I have no idea. I've not seen Prometheus. It's pretty much been established in the Alien universe that the military dress like the military. With Burke being a civilian, I would guess that he wouldn't need to wear a special uniform.

This movie takes place before all other Alien events. Who the hell knows why they are wearing those uniforms? We'll find out next year.
Insane Metal
Dispensed Internet Salt
(12-01-2011, 02:26 PM)

Originally Posted by Tom_Cody

No, it isn't.

Edit: it really isn't, thank God.
Last edited by Insane Metal; 12-01-2011 at 02:29 PM.
tycoonheart
(12-01-2011, 02:31 PM)
So how many years before the first Alien movie does this take place? Considering the space jockey had decayed and grafted itself to the seat, are we talking 100s here?
Tedesco!
unemployed member of
the Jewish conspiracy
(12-01-2011, 02:38 PM)

Originally Posted by tycoonheart

So how many years before the first Alien movie does this take place? Considering the space jockey had decayed and grafted itself to the seat, are we talking 100s here?

I don't know if that has been established.
SpacedCadette
(12-01-2011, 02:46 PM)
Well, back when it was still an 'Untitled Alien Prequel'...

Scott: It's set in 2085, about 30 years before Sigourney [Weaver's character Ellen Ripley]. It's fundamentally about going out to find out 'Who the hell was that Space Jockey?' The guy who was sitting in the chair in the alien vehicle there was a giant fellow sitting in a seat on what looked to be either a piece of technology or an astronomer's chair. Remember that?

MTV: Of course.

Scott: And our man [Tom Skerritt as Captain Dallas] climbs up and says "There's been an explosion in his chest from the inside out what was that?" I'm basically explaining who that Space Jockey we call him the Space Jockey I'm explaining who the space jockeys were.

ChoklitReign
(12-01-2011, 02:48 PM)

Originally Posted by subversus

wow, Deus Ex.

I never asked for scene girls.