• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E3: Kojima Announcing 2 Games, MGS5?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
duckroll said:
What else can Kojima make though? Anything without MGS on it has failed to meet financial success, which Konami seems to expect out of him.
He could definitely try!

I mean, they probably won't put him on Metal Gear Solid: Harmony of Despair until at least five months after it bombs.

ezekial45

Banned
To be honest, i actually hoped that Metal Gear 3 hoax a couple years back was real. It had you playing as Ocelot during the 80's. That would've been great.

Series needs a total story reboot. I imagine the next game will be another Big Boss sequel set in the late 70s with Kojima announcing how he actually modeled The Boss after his own mother and that the Big Boss arc is an allegory to his own life.

duckroll

Nirolak said:
He could definitely try!

I mean, they probably won't put him on Metal Gear Solid: Harmony of Despair until at least five months after it bombs.

Sure, he can try, but even he admits that it can be a bit hard to push through a new IP, given the performance of the studio's non-MGS works. Not that I'm against it, but realistically, I think it's a challenge.

Elios83

IMO E3 will bring:

New PS3/NGP game announcement
MGS 1-2-3 HD collection
Metal Gear Solid Rising release date and gameplay live demo

2 games? then there might be room for a new policesnatcher, besides the new mainline MGS game for home console of course.

i don't see a reason to remake or port PW. the game is good on PSP and not old at all.

ezekial45 said:
To be honest, i actually hoped that Metal Gear 3 hoax a couple years back was real. It had you playing as Ocelot during the 80's. That would've been great.

Ever since MGS4 I figured that'd be the next logical step. Surprised an Ocelot game hasn't been announced yet.

duckroll

Augemitbutter said:
i don't see a reason to remake or port PW. the game is good on PSP and not old at all.

Maybe not a creative-driven reason, but financially? It makes a ton of sense. The game is a total and utter bomb outside of Japan, and completely failed to remotely meet Konami's targets for the title. It's possible the game didn't even break 100k in the US. That's -horrible-.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
duckroll said:
Sure, he can try, but even he admits that it can be a bit hard to push through a new IP, given the performance of the studio's non-MGS works. Not that I'm against it, but realistically, I think it's a challenge.
Yeah, I was joking.

Given his statements, I'm assuming the "taboo" part of his new game was actually that it was a new IP, and that's why that idea has since went out the window.

Jonnyram

angelfly said:
Obviously the controls wouldn't be that good for a regular action MGS game, but for Snatcher, or even Metal Gear Acid, they'd be fine. And there's a ton of touchscreen games nowadays that have perfect controls. I'm no fan of virtual d-pads myself, but ruling out iOS as a platform is ridiculous.

Acosta

a1m said:
Really? geez.

The hive mind shit is really insulting and boring. If anything, the members of this forum has showed once and again that they have a huge variety of ideas, tastes and sensibilities.

Lakitu

st5fu
infinityBCRT said:
I'd love to see an Open world Snatcher 2.

...With detective elements like L.A. Noire and a giant vertical space with flying cars.

That would be amazing. How awesome would it be to explore a fully realised Alton Plaza?

Rising does seem like it's in development hell. All we've seen is that watermelon chopping demo and have no real concrete details on the game.

I'm hoping for MGS Triology HD on XBLA/PSN.

That or anything that meets or beats MGS3:Subsistence. PLEASE. I've had mgs blue balls for years (4, Portable Ops, and Peace Walker didn't do it for me. I need one big continuous map, not individual chapters/missions!)

duckroll, do you know something about Rising we don't? You seem pretty certain that it's in development hell, although that's not really surprising considering how little has been shown.

I thought everyone already know that he will unveil the new project for the NGP he is working and anounce his new game for the 3DS, supposedly those are the 2 games that HIDEO KOJIMA himself is working meanwhile his other workers are trying to finish MGS:RISING.

There was a time where I would be salivating for any tiny morsel of information from the next MGS game; but now, after PO/MGS4/PW... ehhh.

Portalble Ops was terrible; MGS4, even worse, with what it did to the story -- only the gameplay was great; and Peace Walker, while the best of the three, was hampered by terrible controls, repetitiveness, and being on the PSP. Kojima also deserves a slap in the face with a large-mouth bass for what he did with The Boss.

Sadly, announcements of remakes of either MG1/2 or MGS1/2/3 on competent engines will reignite my interest for a new Metal Gear. Even then, though, remakes of the Solid series seems to soon me.

I'm hoping for ZOE3 or some sort of Snatcher / Policenauts stuff, either remakes or reimaginings.

Spiegel

duckroll said:
Maybe not a creative-driven reason, but financially? It makes a ton of sense. The game is a total and utter bomb outside of Japan, and completely failed to remotely meet Konami's targets for the title. It's possible the game didn't even break 100k in the US. That's -horrible-.

The game sold between 100k and 200k copies in 2010 in US, not counting download copies or bundles.

Still a megabomba and a PW+ would make sense.

duckroll

electroshockwave said:
duckroll, do you know something about Rising we don't? You seem pretty certain that it's in development hell, although that's not really surprising considering how little has been shown.

Maybe. Nothing I'm comfortable with sharing though. But I think that it's quite obvious that Kojima letting a "younger team" take on a big multiplatform project like that hasn't turned out as efficient or productive as he imagined. The releases so far (or lack thereof) speak for themselves.

Usually a MGS game, even if it's announced way before the eventual release, has major trailers and various new details at every big trade show. E3, TGS, GC. Rising not fitting this pattern says a lot.

duckroll said:

they could offer a new substance version for an easy PSP2 launch title. yes, these things make sense financially, but i don't know if that's the right thing to do when there is already another older, but expanded title announced for 3DS.

i'm betting on the next MGS and another surprise game.

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
Acosta said:
The hive mind shit is really insulting and boring. If anything, the members of this forum has showed once and again that they have a huge variety of ideas, tastes and sensibilities.

True but calling someone a asshole is also really insulting but seems to be allowed. A always updated list with bannable offences would be nice.

No, no, before he announces anything, MGS4 needs to get Trophies. Or more appropriately, MGS4: S director's cut release...that has trophies. Super-sales there as people couldn't just get trophies on their old MGS4 disc and would be forced to buy the Sub- edition for them. Hey, with the quality and quantity of the additions to MGS2S/MGS3S being any indicator, it's not a "force buy" anyway, it's a "mandatory buy".

With an HD MGS1-MGS3 PS2 collection that has leaderboards and Trophies.

duckroll said:
Maybe. Nothing I'm comfortable with sharing though. But I think that it's quite obvious that Kojima letting a "younger team" take on a big multiplatform project like that hasn't turned out as efficient or productive as he imagined. The releases so far (or lack thereof) speak for themselves.

Usually a MGS game, even if it's announced way before the eventual release, has major trailers and various new details at every big trade show. E3, TGS, GC. Rising not fitting this pattern says a lot.

THIS! i too have heard something regarding this statement with production milestone barely getting over and so of.

Graphics Horse said:
Come to think of it, an MGS4 Subsandwich would fit the first description very well, it's just surprising it would have taken them this long.

More or less it's been expressed that he "wants" to do it, but didn't have time. The trend of the Sub- releases was about 2 years or so after the original release, of course that has been long after MGS4 now. But the explanation here is that he was working on things like Peace Walker.
Still though, I'd imagine working on things like MGS3 were more demanding than PW, and KojimaPro still managed to get MGS2:S out in-between.

offshore

I'm still on board the MGS train, but should there be an MGS6 for PS3/360, they really need a goddamn script editor, preferably one armed with waders and pruning shears.

yeah, I stole that line from Yahtzee

I hope that, if MGS4Sub ends up coming out someday, the ones that already have the game can get the aditional content for 10€ or so through a download.

duckroll said:
The quasi-logical step for an existing game is to cancel Rising because it's in development hell.

Umm, no..
If you listen to the KP Report they say that they will announce A LOT of info on it "in the next major game show" which is obviously E3!

Haven't all the past MGS's gone through "development hell"? The development cycles have always been long. That being said I know Kojima is looking at Ubisoft and seeing them crank out an Assassin's Creed every year and wants to cut down his own development times.

infinityBCRT said:
Haven't all the past MGS's gone through "development hell"? The development cycles have always been long. That being said I know Kojima is looking at Ubisoft and seeing them crank out an Assassin's Creed every year and wants to cut down his own development times.

Must not mistake LONG DEVELOPMENT CYCLES with BAD MANAGEMENT, when hideo kojima himself is working in the game the MANAGEMENT reaches every milestone proposed, the thing with MGS: RISING is an exception to the FRANCHISE because the project is being done by new people and not KOJIMA HIMSELF and with that the management of the project hasn´t been very well.

Foffy

Banned
duckroll said:

How in the world did that happen? Did all of the other Metal Gear games on PSP sour players so that when the first great one came, nobody cared?

duckroll

Foffy said:
How in the world did that happen? Did all of the other Metal Gear games on PSP sour players so that when the first great one came, nobody cared?

No, the PSP is just dead outside of Japan.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
We all known it's going to be a remake for SD Snatcher for 3DS and a new Snatcher game for PS360.

/saunters off

Top Bottom