• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Jakeh111
(03-26-2011, 08:59 AM)
Last few years I have noticed that no matter what time of the day it is if I lay down and watch tv I nod off, if I lay down to read a book I nod off, if Im at a show sitting down after having a beer I nod off, sitting at the computer I nod off, driving I nod off, at the movie I nod off. It goes on and on, I get 8 hours of sleep a night and dont feel tired but it just happens! What can I do to get out of this funk!?
daffy
(03-26-2011, 09:01 AM)
Don't lay down.

As for driving and movies and stuff, drink some coffee or something!!
Snuggles
erotic butter maelstrom
(03-26-2011, 09:02 AM)
do you take heroin?
Scrow
Still Tagged Accordingly
go see a sleep therapist
Jakeh111

Originally Posted by Snuggler

do you take heroin?

No, should i start lol
iamcenok
(03-26-2011, 09:03 AM)
Same exact thing happens to me all the time as of late as well..

I can get a good full nights sleep, wake up.. then an hour or 2 later I find myself getting sleepy and a while after that, BAM.. asleep. Shit's weird
Tony Rocky Horror
(03-26-2011, 09:03 AM)

Originally Posted by Jakeh111

Last few years I have noticed that no matter what time of the day it is if I lay down and watch tv I nod off, if I lay down to read a book I nod off, if Im at a show sitting down after having a beer I nod off, sitting at the computer I nod off, driving I nod off, at the movie I nod off. It goes on and on, I get 8 hours of sleep a night and dont feel tired but it just happens! What can I do to get out of this funk!?

Errr dude? I think you can guess the answer here: visit a goddamn doctor. If 8 hours of sleep aInt working for ya, something must be up.
brianjones
(03-26-2011, 09:04 AM)
same here sometimes i nod off mid sennnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn nnn
threenote
Banned
GO SEE A DOCTOR
Jakeh111

Originally Posted by threenote

GO SEE A DOCTOR

you could have a tumor

wait WHAT
threenote
Banned
(03-26-2011, 09:05 AM)

wait WHAT

bad joke. In all seriousness, you could be narcoleptic.
Shin Kojima
(03-26-2011, 09:06 AM)

Originally Posted by brianjones

same here sometimes i nod off mid sennnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn nnn

I was gonna make this joke but now that I've seen it demonstrated I'm kind of glad I didn't.
Dresden
on the run
(03-26-2011, 09:07 AM)
Go see a doc or find time to take short naps.
Jakeh111
(03-26-2011, 09:08 AM)
I guess I should see a doctor but I really cant afford it atm and no health care (GO America)
revolverjgw

driving I nod off, at the movie I nod off.

That ain't good, you narcoleptic sonuvagun. Go see a doctor.
CoffeeJanitor
I sort of do that too, mostly during classes though.

Little does everyone else in the class know that I'm the reason the light don't go off during videos/lectures.
brianjones

Originally Posted by Shin_Kojima

I was gonna make this joke but now that I've seen it demonstrated I'm kind of glad I didn't.

GOOD THING SHIN KOIJMA SAN
MWS Natural
Blacks Anonymous™
I am sorta the same way except I only get 4-5hrs a night. I doze off when watching long movies, riding in the passenger seat, and after meals. Although vitamins, drinking water and eating well helps keep my energy level up some so I don't doze as much as I used to.
Jakeh111
(03-26-2011, 09:09 AM)

Originally Posted by Dresden

Go see a doc or find time to take short naps.

I never take naps feels like a waste of time :s
FStop7
(03-26-2011, 09:10 AM)

I nod off a lot, too. And I also get plenty of sleep. Fortunately it's never been a problem when driving. But I've come close to falling asleep at work on several occasions. It's embarrassing. People think I stay up late or that I'm slacking off. But my desk is very peaceful and when I'm reading something it's very easy for me to relax to the point where I can doze. It's also a real problem at meetings and lectures. Long, drawn out presentations can knock me out. It's terrible.

I just completed a training class that ran from 7AM - 3:30PM all week. During our lunch break I would go and find a comfy chair in a corner and zone out/snooze for the hour. It helped a lot. When the class would resume I'd feel energized and had no problem staying focused for the rest of the day.

I think more exercise might help. You'd think it would make you more tired but it kick starts your metabolism and raises your energy level. At least that's been my experience.

Good luck with your problem, you're definitely not alone.
ItAintEasyBeinCheesy
it's 4th of July in my asshole
(03-26-2011, 09:11 AM)
Sleep earlier and eat STEAKS for breakfast.
daffy
(03-26-2011, 09:12 AM)

I guess I should see a doctor but I really cant afford it atm and no health care (GO America)

We got you in 2014. Until then just stay in the sunlight and for god's sake keep the TV on!

One time I was in a big lecture-style class and I just knocked out with no recollection that I was falling asleep. I woke up as everyone was leaving and I had a bee line of drool running down my face, suffice to say the love interest was not impressed.
Jakeh111
(03-26-2011, 09:14 AM)
Yeah school was funny, I would always be in that phase between being asleep and awake with my eyes all in the back of my head I bet the teacher thought I was some retard lol

And when I said nod off in the car I didnt mean fall asleep and the wheel but I my eyelids would get very heavy, Im sure its just as dangerous though
esquire
Has waited diligently to think of something to say before making this post
(03-26-2011, 09:15 AM)
Uh, so sleep more than 8 hours?

I'm a doctor, you can trust me.
brianjones
(03-26-2011, 09:16 AM)
you ever think you might be lucky

think of all the insomniacs

dont be selfish
Dresden
on the run
(03-26-2011, 09:19 AM)

I never take naps feels like a waste of time :s

Naps are wonderful things. Your loss.
Jakeh111
(03-26-2011, 09:19 AM)

Using that time for useful things is also wonderful.
daffy
(03-26-2011, 09:21 AM)
Naps are for cats.

EDIT: I've napped before :(
Last edited by daffy; 03-26-2011 at 09:31 AM.
akachan ningen
this tag has been removed due to terms of use violation
(03-26-2011, 09:32 AM)
Koodo
(03-26-2011, 09:39 AM)

driving I nod off

um

Girl you in danger.
mac
(03-26-2011, 09:42 AM)
Do you snore?

Have you gained weight or are you obese?
Jakeh111
(03-26-2011, 09:45 AM)

Originally Posted by mac

Do you snore?

Have you gained weight or are you obese?

Dont snore, havent gained weight and im a slim guy.
Freshmaker
I am Korean.
(03-26-2011, 09:48 AM)
Sleep apnea can do stuff like that.

On the other hand, back in college I started nodding off every time I sat down. I started exercising, and the problem went away. Really upped my energy levels all around.
mac
(03-26-2011, 09:49 AM)

Dont snore, havent gained weight and im a slim guy.

I was gonna say it was sleep apnea.

A condition which affect 5%-20% of the population and you don't even know it.
Jakfu
(03-26-2011, 12:23 PM)
Same here. I've been diagnosed with sleep apnea
Ushojax
Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
(03-26-2011, 01:13 PM)
Exercise. Seriously, get active. Go for a walk, go to the gym, the pool, whatever. I used to get like this after a few months of doing nothing, then I went for a run every morning and felt a thousand times better. The human body is not designed for a sedentary lifestyle.
bjork
(03-26-2011, 01:15 PM)
I WISH I had this problem.
Uchip
Banned
(03-26-2011, 01:17 PM)
for some reason i thought 'nod off' was another way to say 'masturbate'
lifa-cobex
Banned
(03-26-2011, 01:21 PM)

Originally Posted by Ushojax

Exercise. Seriously, get active. Go for a walk, go to the gym, the pool, whatever. I used to get like this after a few months of doing nothing, then I went for a run every morning and felt a thousand times better. The human body is not designed for a sedentary lifestyle.

100% this.
Find a healthy diet too.

Probably would go to the doctor's just to be safe though.
NutJobJim
(03-26-2011, 01:21 PM)
I get this every time I eat.
The worst is when I have an important all day meeting and we take a lunch break.

I'll be wide awake, eat lunch, come back for the afternoon session and BAM without fail I'm falling asleep.
Like actually struggling to keep my eyes open and nodding off in front of everyone.

It's embarrassing, especially during important meetings lol.
Ultimatum
(03-26-2011, 01:22 PM)
sounds like sleep apnoea... or maybe something as simple as an iron deficiency

visit a doctor
fadetoblack
(03-26-2011, 01:23 PM)

Originally Posted by Freshmaker

Sleep apnea can do stuff like that.

On the other hand, back in college I started nodding off every time I sat down. I started exercising, and the problem went away. Really upped my energy levels all around.

Yessir. Coffee doesn't work on me generally speaking but exercising has worked wonders for my energy levels.
big_z
just gonna rub one out
in the next few minutes
(03-26-2011, 01:23 PM)
[IMG]http://i53.************/33a8c2x.gif[/IMG]
Days like these...
Poonani should have a ph balance of 0
(03-26-2011, 01:24 PM)
Same here I have no problem waking up @ 5:00am. I can work/be active all day whatever as long as I don't stop. If I stop/sit down its all over. Even when I'm off and rested as soon as I hit a couch I'm falling asleep.for what its worth I average about 6 hrs. Of sleep a night
Combichristoffersen
Combovers don't work when there is no hair
(03-26-2011, 01:37 PM)

Originally Posted by big_z

[IMG]http://i53.************/33a8c2x.gif[IMG]

Your Excellency
Banned
(03-26-2011, 02:55 PM)
Jesus, this happens to me. I thought coffee was the only thing to do for it. Exercise, I'm gonna have to try that now.

In the last few days I had a daytime massage and fell asleep. With my girlfriend next to me. And I was snoring. Embarrassing.

Happens when I'm driving back after 8ish, so I always have a red bull now. Can't watch a movie without falling asleep unless I have a red bull/coffee.

I sleep late (2am) but I also wake up quite late, about 9am or so, and naturally at that (student lifestyle). That's still a good 7 hours.
Nose Master
(03-26-2011, 03:16 PM)
Wanna switch? If it only takes me two hours of laying still without doing anything else to fall asleep, it's a good night.
LivetoFollow
(03-26-2011, 03:32 PM)
Sleep apnea
giga
(03-26-2011, 03:33 PM)
Meier
(03-26-2011, 03:36 PM)

Naps just make me more tired. My body gets annoyed I'm only giving it an hour or so and demands more.