• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sweden just got a new 5 star jail

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaptruder

Banned
I'd imagine that they'd restrict internet.

Restricted internet is a great enough deterrence for me, and probably most of you gaffers too.

AAequal

Banned
Zaptruder said:
It seems strange if you believe people are absolute masters of their own destiny unaffected by their environments and surroundings, and that when they commit wrong it is because they're innately evil and must be severely punished for it.

From an economic stand point, where rehabilitation is cheaper and more productive than expensive penal environments (even if the expenses aren't been placed into prisoner comfort) that unintentionally but aggressively promote recidivism... then it kinda makes sense.

The loss of freedom is disincentive enough for most to not commit crimes, irrespective of the decent standard of comfort within a swedish jail.

It might be cheaper than a hotel... but when you can't leave it for the next 5 years under any circumstances, then you might not quite feel quite so chuffed about the free stay.

Scandinavia is once again ahead. Well behaved prisoners are granted with vacations. Literally the prisoner can go home for a weekend and after the weekend it's off to prison. Some prisoners even attend to normal collages :D I know this is a case in Finland and Sweden, not sure about the rest.

edit: of course it's not every weekend. But prisoners in Finland and Sweden do have lots of vacation days.

nubbe

6Fzg5.jpg

Soma

So is it possible for one to go to jail for theft of an expensive flat-screen tv and basically up with a room with a potentially expensive flat-screen tv?

Lackmus

Banned
Just to clarify for non-sweds:

this is a "häkte" (dont know the word in english) where the police brings you to if a prosecutor thinks you are guilty. You spend the nights there until court, if you finally are sentenced for a crime and punished for prison-time, you end up in a "fängelse" (prison) and the rooms in those buildings are problably not that nice like these ones.

Fjolle

cybamerc said:
That is nothing. I present to you the next state prison to be built in Denmark. Budgeted price DKK 1B/EUR 134M/USD 188M... off course in the end it'll be more expensive. Sometimes I get so frustrated with this country. Building a resort for criminals *smh*.

FFCVI07.jpg

http://dagensdesign.dk/index/blog/Optegnelser/2010/12/16_C.F._Mller_wins_new_prison_building_files/FFCVI06.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://dagensdesign.dk/index/blog/Optegnelser/2010/12/16_C.F._Mller_wins_new_prison_building_files/FFSIT05.jpg[IMG]

[url]http://dagensdesign.dk/index/blog/Optegnelser/2010/12/16_C.F._Mller_wins_new_prison_building.html[/url][/QUOTE]
[Sheep pounding joke]

Lackmus said:

this is a "häkte" (dont know the name in english) where the police brings you to if a prosecutor thinks you are guilty. You spend the nights there until court, if you finally are sentenced for a crime and punished for prison-time, you end up in a "fängelse" (prison) and the rooms in those buildings are problably not that nice like these ones.

well this make a hell of a lot more sense. thanks.

Zaptruder

Banned
AAequal said:
Scandinavia is once again ahead. Well behaved prisoners are granted with vacations. Literally the prisoner can go home for a weekend and then he comes back. Some prisoners even attend to normal collages :D I know this is a case in Finland and Sweden, not sure about the rest.

I assume they assess the likelihood of a person to threaten the public or cause harm again.

If the person has a very low chance (i.e. what they did was once off), then again, using the economic argument, allowing the 'prisoner' to pursue a relatively normal life in the long term allows for better return on investments on these people.

It's a pretty out there idea... that the prison system is a an institution for rehabilitating dysfunctional members of society, providing them with stable environment and opportunities to help redress the environmental (and even psychological) causes of their dysfunction.

OTOH, the American style of punitive punishment is so ingrained in most of you at a societal level that you instantly think it's the stupidest thing you've ever heard... despite the results proving dramatically differently otherwise.

BTW... I don't think you could drop a prison or a jail system like this into America and expect it to work quite as well as it does in Sweden. The culture is too immature for that; bunch of 'tards would fill it up quickly trying to take advantage of it. Even if those idiots don't get assigned to that model prison, you'd create an externality that outweighs the ability of a model prison or two to do good.

But nonetheless, you can practice a rehabilitation system in American prisons; some do, and they do it pretty well.

Lackmus said:

this is a "häkte" (dont know the name in english) where the police brings you to if a prosecutor thinks you are guilty. You spend the nights there until court, if you finally are sentenced for a crime and punished for prison-time, you end up in a "fängelse" (prison) and the rooms in those buildings are problably not that nice like these ones.

It's more like a jail then.

cybamerc said:
That is nothing. I present to you the next state prison to be built in Denmark. Budgeted price DKK 1B/EUR 134M/USD 188M... off course in the end it'll be more expensive. Sometimes I get so frustrated with this country. Building a resort for criminals *smh*.
Prison should be a rehabilitating facility. Taking one´s freedom is punishment enough.

Rapstah

I translated the article from OP:

Welcome to super custody

Fresh prison ready for bad guys: premises bright and nice

Here's Sweden's most modern - and environment-friendly - super custody. With a glass facade, "nordic light" and design furniture from Kumla and Hinseberg (transl. note: other prisons).

- I'm sure someone will say it's like a five-star hotel, says region manager Gunilla Ternert.

On the fourth of April the first inmate will be welcomed to the country's new custody in Sollentuna. No special ceremony is planned, and the premier guest may not want to talk about it openly afterwards.

But if the person in question has spent time at the over-packed, down-throdden Kronoberg Custody in Stockholm before, the differences will be experienced as night and day. The architects have among other ideas tried to reach a feeling of "nordic light" on the premises.

- We have the latest technique and the premises (transl. note: I'm not kidding, this is the same word again) are open and bright, says Treatment of Criminals manager Hanna Jarl Källberg.

The Treatment of Offenders authority's new building measures 23 600 square meters and is positioned between the Sollentuna police building and the Attunda court.

Design Furniture

The cells, or rooms for living, as the actual term is, have bunks with thick and comfortable mattresses. An own toilet too, with a sink and mirror - all rust free. All the furniture's edges are phased and tilt downwards to make the possibility for suicidals to attach nooses.

All-in-all there are 240 spots, of which about half are for inmates communaly. These parts have own kitchens and bright designer furniture - Made in Jail. From Kumla and Hinseberg.

For several months, the personnel, all 175 of them, have gone through education and practical excercises on all scenarios imaginable. As we walk around, two burly offender-treaters exit from a door, wearing protection looking like riot gear.

Rigorous safety

While light and air is offered, the safety is obviously rigorous. Practically every single square centimeter can be overviewed with security cameras.

- Excluding the toilets and visitor rooms, says a chief-guard-in-command.

Everyone, including personnel and all visitors, including lawyers, must go through X-ray and through-passing check-ups like at an airport to get inside. For whomever wonders it will also be fairly hard to get out.

---

There's also a box of facts but nothing interesting is really said. TVs aren't mentioned at all.

Good thing those jail's don't exist in America. I can't imagine the number of people commiting serious crimes trying to get into one of these cells if these prisons were the standard

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
Second said:
I want to become a criminal now.

Smuggle coke out of Sweden , you will become rich or have one of they minted cells for a few years

Its your choice.

McLovin

Video Games allowed? You know how every guy fantasizes about doing a bank heist? If I ever decide to do that(I probably never will) I'll make sure its in Sweden.

Binabik15

Zaptruder said:
I assume they assess the likelihood of a person to threaten the public or cause harm again.

If the person has a very low chance (i.e. what they did was once off), then again, using the economic argument, allowing the 'prisoner' to pursue a relatively normal life in the long term allows for better return on investments on these people.

It's a pretty out there idea
... that the prison system is a an institution for rehabilitating dysfunctional members of society, providing them with stable environment and opportunities to help redress the environmental (and even psychological) causes of their dysfunction.

OTOH, the American style of punitive punishment is so ingrained in most of you at a societal level that you instantly think it's the stupidest thing you've ever heard... despite the results proving dramatically differently otherwise.

I don´t think so. At least in Germany, the rehabilitation should be focus of prison/punishment should be focus of prison is over a century old and our penal system flip flopped quite a bit.

In general I´m more pro-rehab and pro-Freigänger (prisosners who can get out for a few hours/days, would "day release prisoner" be correct?), but there´s always the chance of letting the wrong guys out. Especially when female psychologists get all in wuuuv with male inmates, which happens not that often, but often enough.

Still better than locking up potheads for years in rape-dungeons, though.

Chesskid1

Banned
moonspeak said:
So is it possible for one to go to jail for theft of an expensive flat-screen tv and basically up with a room with a potentially expensive flat-screen tv?

go to sweden --> steal flat screen tv

go to jail --> receive flat screen tv

Rapstah

Again, I'm not sure where the video games allowed/plenty of TVs info is coming from. It's certainly not mentioned in the Swedish article.

Casp0r

Banned
Anyone else find this insulting to the honest good citizens in that country struggling to make their way in such a tough economy?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
HandcuffsinSunset.gif?

There was a guy from Estonia last year, who came to Sweden and killed some random guy to be able to sit in these prisons. Not sure if they counted on that to happen when building these hotels.

WTF. WTF.

This is why you do the US jails, damn it. :|

ksan

54-46! said:
Meanwhile, schools are closing down everywhere.. I love seeing the tax I pay being put to good use!
Not like anyone gives a shit, the schools are nearly as bad as american schools due to your tax loving parties <3
And to be honest I don't think there's a problem with schools being shut down where this jail is built
Casp0r said:
Anyone else find this insulting to the honest good citizens in that country struggling to make their way in such a tough economy?
No, I think that's a dishonest argument. Surely it didn't have to be exactly that nice, but I'm sure the cost difference wouldn't have been huge. Building a new jail would have been needed eventually anyway, that's my guess at least.

Zaptruder

Banned
Binabik15 said:
I don´t think so. At least in Germany, the rehabilitation should be focus of prison/punishment should be focus of prison is over a century old and our penal system flip flopped quite a bit.

In general I´m more pro-rehab and pro-Freigänger (prisosners who can get out for a few hours/days, would "day release prisoner" be correct?), but there´s always the chance of letting the wrong guys out. Especially when female psychologists get all in wuuuv with male inmates, which happens not that often, but often enough.

Still better than locking up potheads for years in rape-dungeons, though.

I am talking from an american perspective... (even though I'm australian).

Kurtofan

TheSeks said:
HandcuffsinSunset.gif?

WTF. WTF.

This is why you do the US jails, damn it. :|
You'll always find loonies who kill for whatever reasons.
It's like saying "let's ban all video games because it makes some people violent".

Prison should be about loss of freedom and rehabilitation, no creating a living hell.

ksan

Kurtofan said:
It's like saying "let's ban all video games because it makes some people violent".

Prison should be about loss of freedom and rehabilitation, no creating a living hell.
No need for rehabilitation if we have capital punishment for everyone!

Sweden is an awesome country, i once had to spend a saturday night out on the streets of Stockholm with no place to go, and i did not see any criminals or even visibly drunk people. no fights or anything, no police sirens in the distance, nothing the whole night. every single person i saw acted civil. never felt so safe in a city at night.

so they must be doing something right. although this is a bit much, if even violent criminals can live in better conditions than most students... not cool.

we here in Finland have pretty nice prisons too apparently, there was a guy who slit his little brother's throat just to get back into he comfy prison he had just been released from... completely fucked up. ohh and we let even murderers go on "vacation" from jail. not joking.

Kurtofan said:

But...but...but....I want my criminals to suffer /gaf

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
Casp0r said:
Yes.

Prez

How does that rehabilitate the prisoners? Once they're out they can return to their dump (or they don't have a home at all) with no job, and even if they find a job, they'll never be able to afford something as nice as those cells.

Shanadeus

Banned
Stabbie said:
How does that rehabilitate the prisoners? Once they're out they can return to their dump (or they don't have a home at all) with no job, and even if they find a job, they'll never be able to afford something as nice as those cells.
Social security.

I'm sorry but you can't really argue with the Scandinavian model.

SeanR1221

Zaptruder said:
It seems strange if you believe people are absolute masters of their own destiny unaffected by their environments and surroundings, and that when they commit wrong it is because they're innately evil and must be severely punished for it.

Please tell me I've found another hard determinist like myself here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom