• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Monk
Banned
(04-10-2005, 07:45 AM)
Dont get me wrong I am still getting a Revolution simply for a sequel to SSBM, hell I am still playing it(I dont know if that shows how good the game is or how shitty the GC lineup is). But god damn Nintendo completely sucks for third parties. I dont think that third parties will come even if they removed royalty fees all together, that's how hard they suck.

Nintendo should just make games on the PS2, that way I dont need a whole new system for their games, I mean seriously why else get a GC or any other Nintendo console?
explodet
Member
(04-10-2005, 07:46 AM)
explodet's Avatar
I like brownies.
evil solrac v3.0
(04-10-2005, 07:52 AM)
evil solrac v3.0's Avatar
it seems that drinky is slowly but surely achieving his objectives.....
temp
posting on contract only
(04-10-2005, 07:56 AM)
temp's Avatar
Mihail
Banned
(04-10-2005, 08:03 AM)
F-Zero GX

That's more than enough reason to own a GameCube.
psycho_snake
I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
(04-10-2005, 08:08 AM)
I love it when people say"of course I will buy Revolution but Nintendo do suck balls!"
Monk
Banned
(04-10-2005, 08:10 AM)
When it comes to third parties they do.
lexi
Member
(04-10-2005, 08:11 AM)
lexi's Avatar
Need a pic of that vomiting green thing.
ChrisReid
Member
(04-10-2005, 08:13 AM)
mrkgoo
Member
(04-10-2005, 08:13 AM)
Here's the list of third party(or non-Nintendo) developed titles I have (and enjoyed) for my GC:

Rogue Leader
Eternal Darkness (sort of)
Super Monkey Ball
Resident Evil REmake
Resident Evil Zero
REsident Evil 3 (have never played it though -have it for completion sake)
Viewtiful Joe
Soul Calibur 2
Retrun of the King
Rebel Strike
Spider-man (traded in)
Spider-man2
Resident Evil 4
Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes
Project Number 03 (traded in)


I can't complain about any of that. The closest I came to regretting a purchase was Viewtiful Joe. 10 of these titles were born on the gamecube (3 of these were successful enough to move to release on another platform). Most of these games I'd consider A titles (if not triple A).
Ristamar
Member
(04-10-2005, 08:15 AM)
I take it you weren't around for the N64 days? It's not great, but it is notably better. I'm sure they looking to improve next gen, as well. They've lost a few games recently, but they are much tighter with EA now, for better or for worse (I sorely missed Fight Night 2004).

Besides, look what happened to Sega... they went third party and their software went to hell.
Last edited by Ristamar; 04-10-2005 at 08:23 AM.
Monk
Banned
(04-10-2005, 08:16 AM)
The only games I consider on that list to be good are :

VJ
SC2
and RE4
KingJ2002
Member
(04-10-2005, 08:16 AM)
KingJ2002's Avatar
nintendo should give up hardware because you give up on something unknown?

i dont see your logic
Monk
Banned
(04-10-2005, 08:18 AM)
How is it unknown, it is simply fact that Nintendo sucks with third parties.
mj1108
Member
(04-10-2005, 08:18 AM)
Funny how those that want a one-console future rag on Nintendo, but never MS....
mrkgoo
Member
(04-10-2005, 08:19 AM)

Originally Posted by Monk

The only games I consider on that list to be good are :

VJ
SC2
and RE4

Then maybe you should say "Nintendo sucks for third parties that makes games that I like".

And you should play Spider-man 2. Awesome, awesome game. Which third party games do you particularly want to see on GC anyway?
Monk
Banned
(04-10-2005, 08:23 AM)
Aruze
Bioware(even though I hate the I buy their games because I am an RPG junkie)

And basically more prevalence from Capcom, Konami and Namco.
Chrono
Banned
(04-10-2005, 08:25 AM)
Who cares about third parties on a NINTENDO CONSOLE? You can get those games on PS2 and Xbox. You can't get Zelda and Metroid on them though, which is what Gamecube is for. If you only have a Gamecube then I guess it's your fault since if you wanted 3rd party titles you'd go with a PS2.

Originally Posted by mj1108

Funny how those that want a one-console future rag on Nintendo, but never MS....

xBOx is c00l!11
MightyHedgehog
Welcome to the Wasteland.
I hope you're wearing your flak vest!
(04-10-2005, 08:28 AM)
MightyHedgehog's Avatar
XBOX is c00l3r for third parties because most of them see better sales on that platform versus the GC...hence the cold shoulder from most of them towards the GC. Of course, this isn't really new. This was kinda how it went on the N64, as well.
Monk
Banned
(04-10-2005, 08:29 AM)
I have both, but Since they are pretty much the only company making gaes on the thing, it seems like such a waste of space when they could easily go third party and make games on the PS2.

Chances are they will make more money too.
Ristamar
Member
(04-10-2005, 08:29 AM)
Heh. I was kinda bummed Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance 2 didn't make it to the GC, nor did Demon Stone (okay, they're hack'n'slash, not really RPGs). I have a PSTwo now, too, so no big deal. Regardless, I usually stick with my PC for my RPG fix.
Li Mu Bai
Banned
(04-10-2005, 08:33 AM)

Originally Posted by Monk

Dont get me wrong I am still getting a Revolution simply for a sequel to SSBM, hell I am still playing it(I dont know if that shows how good the game is or how shitty the GC lineup is). But god damn Nintendo completely sucks for third parties. I dont think that third parties will come even if they removed royalty fees all together, that's how hard they suck.

Nintendo should just make games on the PS2, that way I dont need a whole new system for their games, I mean seriously why else get a GC or any other Nintendo console?

If SSB:M was the GC's only fighter, you still wouldn't be posing a valid point. Some 3rd parties (esp. exclusives) have made & continue to make a profit off of the GC. If you're referring strictly to the current 3rd party variety, I would agree that devs. aren't supporting it in comparison to the XBX & PS2. So you wan't the sequel, but are unsure if the game is really quality? (*insert rolleyes here*) Back up your blanket statements with hard data numbers. Factor in subpar & oft times 6mos-1yr. late ports, installed userbases, etc. (if such a formula could be done) Is blatant trolling not against the TOS here any longer? The Revolution will have 3rd party support, no console can exist without it.
Monk
Banned
(04-10-2005, 08:33 AM)
YES! PC's rock for RPG's.

I am going to play Kult soon. Can't wait. Obscure RPG get! :)

EDIT: My god the tralier sucks. It looks like a diablo clone from that. :/
Last edited by Monk; 04-10-2005 at 08:45 AM.
Gorgie
WTF
(04-10-2005, 08:34 AM)
I think the controllers really hurt Nintendo's third party sales. See, the NES, and SNES, are great controllers, but in a way, very generic. All the face buttons are the same size, and the controllers were much more featured than the competion. ( SNES vs. three button Genesis)

However, in the 32 (64) bit gen, Nintendo made an off the wall, controller, so games like Tony Hawk 1 (2 and 3) controlled worse on the 64 compared to the generic dual shock (extension of the SNES controller and some PC pad made my EA). Also, the N64 had fewer usuable buttons than the dual shock. I mean the d-pad and L button were pretty much left alone. Basically, third party games controlled less than ideal, resulting in a lower quality game, and resulting in less sales compared to the superior Nintendo games where the controller fit the game like a glove. (Mario 64)

The same thing is happening the Gamecube. Who seriously buys SSX, or Tony Hawk GC versions unless it is the only console they own. These versions are inferior as the Gamecube is missing a button (call it z2). In SSX, tricks were removed from the GC version! I know I didn't buy these games.

If my hypothosis is correct, unless the Revolution sells like the NES, taking the world by storm with new innovative gametypes that appeal to the general public , then third party games will suck because the controller will prove too radical from the generic ps3 controller, and the games won't be fun to control. Only third party games dedicated to the Reveloution will stand a chance (like RE4 for GC) of having really good controls.

So I think if Nintendo wants to attract more 3rd party titles, make sure the Revolution controller is generic, and not lacking in features the competiors have (like buttons, and clicky thumbsticks).
etiolate
Banned
(04-10-2005, 08:34 AM)
etiolate's Avatar
Third party situation for Gamecube was much improved. I'd take the Gamecube's third party support over Xbox and yet I don't hear people bitching about XBox's 3rd party lineup. It's just that companies bailed early on the Gamecube to what I can best sum up as videogame politics.
Monk
Banned
(04-10-2005, 08:38 AM)
How am I trolling? Negative opinions of Nintendo third parties is considered trolling now?
MightyHedgehog
Welcome to the Wasteland.
I hope you're wearing your flak vest!
(04-10-2005, 08:39 AM)
MightyHedgehog's Avatar
Unless everyone who bailed on GC early on were getting paid to do so, I don't buy the politics bit. No sane company is going to walk away from money on the table through some imaginary politics...they had their reasons, and it most likely had to do with their sales on that platform.
Sysgen
Member
(04-10-2005, 08:41 AM)
Sysgen's Avatar

Originally Posted by etiolate

I'd take the Gamecube's third party support over Xbox and yet I don't hear people bitching about XBox's 3rd party lineup.

Would you mind etiolating why?
Angelus
Banned
(04-10-2005, 08:46 AM)
May as well face the music-buy a PS2 and a Xbox.

Nintendo won't improve their 3rd party support much because they really don't want real competition on their own system.
lexi
Member
(04-10-2005, 08:50 AM)
lexi's Avatar

Originally Posted by Angelus

May as well face the music-buy a PS2 and a Xbox.

Nintendo won't improve their 3rd party support much because they really don't want real competition on their own system.

I can see why.

No royalties and the media is purchased at cost. If they had a way to distribute the games themselves they'd pretty much get 100% of the sale price.
Ristamar
Member
(04-10-2005, 08:51 AM)

Originally Posted by Angelus

Nintendo won't improve their 3rd party support much because they really don't want real competition on their own system.


Er... what? I thought the old standby argument was third parties don't like competing with Nintendo.
Mihail
Banned
(04-10-2005, 08:57 AM)

Originally Posted by Angelus

May as well face the music-buy a PS2 and a Xbox.

Nintendo won't improve their 3rd party support much because they really don't want real competition on their own system.

:lol :lol :lol
Angelus
Banned
(04-10-2005, 09:02 AM)
Its that Nintendo have so much bank and yet where are GTA packs for them? Where are the Sega exclusives like VF4,Panzer Dragoon Ortas or OutRun2? How come Microsoft,a newcomer to the gaming industry can lure so much away from a Japanese company like Nintendo? You guys can spin the damage control but anyone who isn't some hardcore Nintendo nut knows whats been happening for years now. The fact is Nitendo have allot of cash and don't do a thing to satisfy their customers who expect better 3rd party support. Theres no excuse. Theyre quite happy posting huge mega profits with their fanbase being forced to buy constabt 1st party games when most everything else smells rotten on the system.
thorns
Banned
(04-10-2005, 09:02 AM)

Originally Posted by etiolate

Third party situation for Gamecube was much improved. I'd take the Gamecube's third party support over Xbox and yet I don't hear people bitching about XBox's 3rd party lineup. It's just that companies bailed early on the Gamecube to what I can best sum up as videogame politics.

That's because since 2003-2004, Xbox is light years ahead of GC in terms of third party support.
masud
Member
(04-10-2005, 09:08 AM)
masud's Avatar

NEVAR!!!
Ristamar
Member
(04-10-2005, 09:12 AM)
Take Two/Rockstar and Nintendo have some blood between them, from what I understand, that stems back to the N64 days (before DMA became Rockstar North). No sane person ever thought GTA would be coming to the Gamecube.
AniHawk
Cranky. Very cranky.
Rather sarcastic to boot.
(04-10-2005, 09:14 AM)
AniHawk's Avatar
Atari started it. Nintendo pioneered it. Sony made it mainstream. Microsoft will buy it out.
Borys
Banned
(04-10-2005, 09:22 AM)

Originally Posted by AniHawk

Atari started it. Nintendo pioneered it. Sony made it mainstream. Microsoft will buy it out.

Agreed.
MS just have too much cash and is too stubborn to let it go.
One Xbox4/5/6 future, here we come!
FightyF
Banned
(04-10-2005, 09:23 AM)

Originally Posted by mj1108

Funny how those that want a one-console future rag on Nintendo, but never MS....

Because MS makes f*ckin awesome hardware.

The whole concept of a Hard Drive and Xbox Live are revolutionary concepts that will forever change the industry. You can't say the same with the GC. I think that Nintendo realizes this to some degree, and will come out with thier own creative outlook to how gaming should be. Xbox's Live really focused on the gaming community and multiplayer games.

The DS's focus is more than just another portable game machine...and so I see the Rev being much the same like either of those consoles. It will have some elements that no other console has. As Live was something that wasn't replicated on either the PS2 or GC, even with their network adapters.

For this generation...what you say makes perfect sense. Nintendo could have went 3rd party and the industry would be pretty much the same, they really didn't make a splash this generation. The next gen though, they'll come out with something that will revolutionize games and make an impact. Next gen, they'll have a console that actually means something and won't just be another games player.

MS kicked ass this generation with their hardware. It was literally the best hardware this gen in so many ways. One big reason for this is because many new exciting elements that didn't exist with console games (and even PC games) were introduced.

Nintendo will aim to do the same next gen as well. I think that initially their 3rd party support will suffer, but over time you'll see many unique titles as well.
captainbiotch
Banned
(04-10-2005, 09:23 AM)
It costs like 110 bucks to get a brand new gamecube and memory card. wtf?
Borys
Banned
(04-10-2005, 09:26 AM)

Originally Posted by captainbiotch

It costs like 110 bucks to get a brand new gamecube and memory card. wtf?

For some it's 110 bucks too much it seems.
Project Midway
Member
(04-10-2005, 09:32 AM)
Project Midway's Avatar
Many people dont even consider GCN as an option, even if it was 50 bucks. Its just that red headed stepchild nobody cares about.
Slayven
gimme some o dat God-crafted alabaster greatness
(04-10-2005, 09:36 AM)
Slayven's Avatar

Originally Posted by Gorgie

I think the controllers really hurt Nintendo's third party sales. See, the NES, and SNES, are great controllers, but in a way, very generic. All the face buttons are the same size, and the controllers were much more featured than the competion. ( SNES vs. three button Genesis)

However, in the 32 (64) bit gen, Nintendo made an off the wall, controller, so games like Tony Hawk 1 (2 and 3) controlled worse on the 64 compared to the generic dual shock (extension of the SNES controller and some PC pad made my EA). Also, the N64 had fewer usuable buttons than the dual shock. I mean the d-pad and L button were pretty much left alone. Basically, third party games controlled less than ideal, resulting in a lower quality game, and resulting in less sales compared to the superior Nintendo games where the controller fit the game like a glove. (Mario 64)

The same thing is happening the Gamecube. Who seriously buys SSX, or Tony Hawk GC versions unless it is the only console they own. These versions are inferior as the Gamecube is missing a button (call it z2). In SSX, tricks were removed from the GC version! I know I didn't buy these games.

If my hypothosis is correct, unless the Revolution sells like the NES, taking the world by storm with new innovative gametypes that appeal to the general public , then third party games will suck because the controller will prove too radical from the generic ps3 controller, and the games won't be fun to control. Only third party games dedicated to the Reveloution will stand a chance (like RE4 for GC) of having really good controls.

So I think if Nintendo wants to attract more 3rd party titles, make sure the Revolution controller is generic, and not lacking in features the competiors have (like buttons, and clicky thumbsticks).

Bam there is it. Why my cube sits in dust. but i did buy a wireless controller that mimics the shape of the ps2 controller for the GC. it rocks
Ranger X
Kohler: 1, Ranger X: 0

PS: Itoi > Kojima by a good green country mile
(04-10-2005, 09:50 AM)
Ranger X's Avatar
I bought a Gamecube for the following reasons: i want most Miyamoto games and i wanted a gameboy player. If Nintendo was a third party and had their games on PS2, i would be living this one console dream right now!!
f_elz
Member
(04-10-2005, 09:53 AM)

Originally Posted by Project Midway

Many people dont even consider GCN as an option, even if it was 50 bucks. Its just that red headed stepchild nobody cares about.

More like Purple headed stepchild.
MattKeil
BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
(04-10-2005, 09:58 AM)
MattKeil's Avatar

Originally Posted by AniHawk

Microsoft will buy it out.

Worked for Sony. Turned out pretty good for the industry, too. I for one welcome our new Redmondian overlords.

It really is looking bleak on the Nintendo front. GBE (or whatever) will need to be something amazing to stave off the PSP's onslaught, and doing something wacky with the Revolution's controller is the exact opposite direction to go if you want solid third-party support. I honestly don't think Nintendo will ever go third-party. They make too much money to need to do that. I do think Nintendo will be permanently relegated to niche status unless they turn things around in the coming generation.
AniHawk
Cranky. Very cranky.
Rather sarcastic to boot.
(04-10-2005, 10:01 AM)
AniHawk's Avatar

Originally Posted by MattKeil

Worked for Sony. Turned out pretty good for the industry, too. I for one welcome our new Redmondian overlords.

I intentionally didn't mention that I wasn't the creator of that quote. Some Next-Gen General posters will remember it as Clover Leaf's signature from 2002.

As far as a ONE CONSOLE FUTURE goes, it's a nice idea. A good dream. But if it ever became reality in the game industry, well... I prefer not to think about what must happen for that to exist.
Last edited by AniHawk; 04-10-2005 at 10:09 AM.
Porridge
Member
(04-10-2005, 10:05 AM)
MEGASALES = MORE 3RD PARTY SUPPORT

Publishers don't give a RAT'S ASS about innovation. Look at the NeoGeo... it slayed the SNES and Genesis technologically, but in every other area it was not an option for the mainstream gamer. I support Nintendo's decision to differ from its competition, because pretty much, they have to. Nintendo needs to clearly define what "Nintendo" is because it's a stuffed console market right now.

Nintendo has an advantage because lots of people grew up on the NES (the only home system to ever have 90% marketshare in north america) and the SNES. They love Nintendo. Even Nintendo haters love Nintendo, because who the fuck didn't play Nintendo growing up? If they appeal to all those Nintendo players who moved on to Sony and MS, I don't see how they can't suceed.
SolidSnakex
Member
(04-10-2005, 10:10 AM)
SolidSnakex's Avatar

Originally Posted by Porridge


Nintendo has an advantage because lots of people grew up on the NES (the only home system to ever have 90% marketshare in north america) and the SNES. They love Nintendo. Even Nintendo haters love Nintendo, because who the fuck didn't play Nintendo growing up? If they appeal to all those Nintendo players who moved on to Sony and MS, I don't see how they can't suceed.

That love hasn't helped them much with the N64 and GC.
Deku
Banned
(04-10-2005, 10:10 AM)
Deku's Avatar
I don't really care as long as I have my Mario, Zelda, and distinct Nintendo game fix every few years. The problem with going third party though is it may cripple Nintendo's ability to make the games I like and love.

Animal Crossing probably would not have been made if it was a 3rd party title for the PS2.

Thread Tools