• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

CarbonatedFalcon
Member
(04-28-2011, 10:28 PM)
CarbonatedFalcon's Avatar

Originally Posted by letsbereasonable

Legendary preview is up:

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/blog/2220755

Dragonwrath, Tarecgosa's Rest

Non-combat pet for guildies that help complete it.

At first I skimmed...and then I read the line they sort of snuck in about how the weapon turns you into a FUCKING blue dragon.

This thing is going to be wanted so badly by caster dps.
C.Dark.DN
previously DeathNote
(04-28-2011, 11:40 PM)
C.Dark.DN's Avatar

Originally Posted by CarbonatedFalcon

At first I skimmed...and then I read the line they sort of snuck in about how the weapon turns you into a FUCKING blue dragon.

This thing is going to be wanted so badly by caster dps.

I wonder if it can be used as a mount? It'd be lame that only a select few get that.
SquirrelNuckle
Member
(04-28-2011, 11:49 PM)
SquirrelNuckle's Avatar
Man I wonder how hard it will to obtain this. Would look so good on my Lock.
burgerdog
Member
(04-28-2011, 11:56 PM)
burgerdog's Avatar
Yus, got my Amani Battle Bear just now. Lost the roll yesterday.
Tamanon
Professional Bastard
(04-28-2011, 11:59 PM)
Tamanon's Avatar

Originally Posted by CarbonatedFalcon

At first I skimmed...and then I read the line they sort of snuck in about how the weapon turns you into a FUCKING blue dragon.

This thing is going to be wanted so badly by caster dps.

Are we sure the weapon will transform you, or is it part of the quest chain?
Freyjadour
Member
(04-29-2011, 12:06 AM)
Freyjadour's Avatar

Originally Posted by burgerdog

Yus, got my Amani Battle Bear just now. Lost the roll yesterday.

How difficult is that? I haven't bothered with either of these 5 mans yet.

I recall a lot of funny guild vent explosions during failed timed runs back in BC.
burgerdog
Member
(04-29-2011, 12:14 AM)
burgerdog's Avatar

Originally Posted by Freyjadour

How difficult is that? I haven't bothered with either of these 5 mans yet.

I recall a lot of funny guild vent explosions during failed timed runs back in BC.

It's not bad, the trash is the hardest part. As long as you're careful with the Firestarters you should be fine. Just take four good guildies and you should be good to go. Got the first one with 50 seconds to spare, second one with five minutes.
CarbonatedFalcon
Member
(04-29-2011, 12:24 AM)
CarbonatedFalcon's Avatar

Originally Posted by Tamanon

Are we sure the weapon will transform you, or is it part of the quest chain?

Originally Posted by Blizzard

The great staff duplicates destructive magics, and also bestows upon its wielder the ability to transform into a member of the Blue Dragonflight.

So it could be a battle ability like Deathbringer's Will (proc or on-use who knows) or it could be an outside-of-battle ability to turn you into a mount like how Medivh's Staff had the teleport to Karazhan.

I can't say for certain exactly what it will do, I'm just speculating, but the text there is fairly clear.
Rokam
Member
(04-29-2011, 12:39 AM)
Rokam's Avatar
The non combat pet should be a tiny human form Kalecgos
Freyjadour
Member
(04-29-2011, 12:43 AM)
Freyjadour's Avatar

Originally Posted by Rokam

The non combat pet should be a tiny human form Kalecgos

Only if we can put a non-combat pet leash on him and make him fetch things.
notworksafe
Member
(04-29-2011, 12:55 AM)
notworksafe's Avatar

Originally Posted by J-Rzez

They pretty much have to after the heat they're taking from people, the horrible state this patch launched in, and I'm going to assume they didn't see nearly as many reactivations as they hoped.



I love me some armor previews, I hope the art team stepped up their game.

And yes, Ulduar was great, once again. It was the only bright shining spot of Wrath. Was an incredible experience as everything in there was so well done. Great trash, great lay-out, and great mechanics.

WTF is with that avatar, J-Rzez? You went from #1 cop to #1 serial killer?

I am disappoint.
C.Dark.DN
previously DeathNote
(04-29-2011, 01:25 AM)
C.Dark.DN's Avatar
What are the Zul'Aman chests? Say you kill the first boss in the time limit. Do you get loot from the boss and chest or what?
Alex
Member
(04-29-2011, 01:25 AM)
Alex's Avatar
I guess Firelands has 6 bosses and will be the only raid of the tier. (7 including the new BH boss, but I don't give a shit about loot pinatas)

Their excuse for this is that when people have too much content they feel obligated to play too much.

This was actually said, this is a real thing.

Yeah, I mean that's a tough situation because our feeling is simply that people shouldn't be forced to play the game more than a couple nights a week to keep up on progression. We realize though that some people legitimately like playing every night, and having real reasons to be in the game and playing with raid groups and such. There's obviously things like alts, professions, achievements, PvP, to keep people busy, but it's ultimately something we'd like to get a better handle on. Having content that isn't forcing people to log in every night, but still offering something that's meaningful for those that do. Understand though that by definition those types of things can't lead to player power or else everyone will be back to having to log on every single night to keep pace. Anyway, it's something we very much want to get a better handle on, but it's not something we're going to solve easily.

Translation: We bled half our staff to Titan but have monstrously improved our ability to spin bullshit.

Maybe this tier will still be great, who knows, Sunwell was light on bosses and people liked it (so I hear, I never touched Sunwell and all of the issues with class balance and shit sounded like a nightmare to me).

Doesn't change that we're still getting bilked hard on raid content. Maybe for T13 we can fight each of Deathwing's wings then his head for the whole tier.

I have a feeling we'll be forced to do dailies in their new hubs in order to pad equipment from the low boss count.

What are the Zul'Aman chests? Say you kill the first boss in the time limit. Do you get loot from the boss and chest or what?

You kill bosses fast enough, you get chests with an extra piece of loot and the Bear at the end.
Last edited by Alex; 04-29-2011 at 01:38 AM.
CarbonatedFalcon
Member
(04-29-2011, 01:39 AM)
CarbonatedFalcon's Avatar
Yeah I read that (about Firelands only having 6 bosses) after posting earlier.

:(


The game will slowly bleed off if that's how they are going to go about things. At least more people will be likely to cancel in the gaps between finishing/tiring of content (which will occur more rapidly if there is less of it) and new patches. For their intent to develop patches quicker, I still don't trust them to get them out in a timely manner.

The ideal for me would probably be the equivalent of a one or two new 5-mans or a one-off raid (e.g. Halion) be it distributed in dungeons, quests, or other features released every 2-3 months, and a significant piece of content (raid-type patch) every 4-6 months, perhaps a couple weeks longer depending on the length/breadth of the raid/PvP additions or whatever.
C.Dark.DN
previously DeathNote
(04-29-2011, 01:46 AM)
C.Dark.DN's Avatar
When I quote a blue poster on the official forums, they don't show up blue, why?
Alex
Member
(04-29-2011, 01:55 AM)
Alex's Avatar
Yeah, my issues are that:

1.) I don't care about alts anymore, I used to be kind of big on them, but nowadays I just want to play my main and it's offspec at most. I like 4.1, but it took too long and it's of minimum use for me in terms of content, not tweaks

2.) Our guild is decisively medium-end, which makes low boss counts kind of a bitch, we're sadly struggling with heroic mode kills and while we've got 5 down at the moment, getting repeats on them is a bit rough for our type being that if you take a second to sneeze during some of them it causes a wipe.

My main point of interest at the moment is that they've mentioned surprises and dropped hints at a new content venue, which this game desperately needs, I really want to see something from that.
cuevas, PhD.
Member
(04-29-2011, 02:09 AM)
cuevas, PhD.'s Avatar
I like to hear that from them, I LOVE playing this game but nothing stays fun when it's an endless grind. The progression races will still be fun and that's what I'm all about.
J-Rzez
Member
(04-29-2011, 03:36 AM)
J-Rzez's Avatar

Originally Posted by notworksafe

WTF is with that avatar, J-Rzez? You went from #1 cop to #1 serial killer?

I am disappoint.

Both have great lines, both look creepy in certain lighting, both punish the badguys. One does it quick with a bullet in the head, the other a powertool to the temple. Needed to mix it up a lil you know? :)
notworksafe
Member
(04-29-2011, 04:02 AM)
notworksafe's Avatar
Okay fair enough.

I'm just annoyed that you've left all my sunglasses related Blizzard jokes...



Out in the cold.
GLopez12
Junior Member
(04-29-2011, 04:05 AM)
GLopez12's Avatar
Has anyone else noticed that patches have been getting more and more buggy since 4.0?
Angry Grimace
Member
(04-29-2011, 04:20 AM)
Angry Grimace's Avatar

Originally Posted by GLopez12

Has anyone else noticed that patches have been getting more and more buggy since 4.0?

You must be new.

Originally Posted by Alex

I guess Firelands has 6 bosses and will be the only raid of the tier. (7 including the new BH boss, but I don't give a shit about loot pinatas)

Their excuse for this is that when people have too much content they feel obligated to play too much.

This was actually said, this is a real thing.



Translation: We bled half our staff to Titan but have monstrously improved our ability to spin bullshit.

Maybe this tier will still be great, who knows, Sunwell was light on bosses and people liked it (so I hear, I never touched Sunwell and all of the issues with class balance and shit sounded like a nightmare to me).

Doesn't change that we're still getting bilked hard on raid content. Maybe for T13 we can fight each of Deathwing's wings then his head for the whole tier.

I have a feeling we'll be forced to do dailies in their new hubs in order to pad equipment from the low boss count.



You kill bosses fast enough, you get chests with an extra piece of loot and the Bear at the end.

Who liked Sunwell? Very few people actually played and of those that did, most found it was monstrously difficult for rewards little better than BT's.
cuevas, PhD.
Member
(04-29-2011, 05:35 AM)
cuevas, PhD.'s Avatar

Originally Posted by Angry Grimace

Who liked Sunwell? Very few people actually played and of those that did, most found it was monstrously difficult for rewards little better than BT's.

That was the point of SWP, to feed those hardcore raiders.
GLopez12
Junior Member
(04-29-2011, 05:39 AM)
GLopez12's Avatar
Pretty much everyone I know who raided in TBC has fond memories of SWP.
Rokam
Member
(04-29-2011, 05:42 AM)
Rokam's Avatar
-Hmm Flaming Hippogryph mount when you complete the entire new quest hub area. Achievements grants it.

-Epic Sulfuras is a confirmed drop. Updated model.

-Staff off of Staghelm that turns you into his fire feral form.
Tamanon
Professional Bastard
(04-29-2011, 06:06 AM)
Tamanon's Avatar

Originally Posted by Rokam

-Hmm Flaming Hippogryph mount when you complete the entire new quest hub area. Achievements grants it.

-Epic Sulfuras is a confirmed drop. Updated model.

-Staff off of Staghelm that turns you into his fire feral form.

SOOOOO GOOD
TheYanger
Member
(04-29-2011, 06:25 AM)
TheYanger's Avatar

Originally Posted by Angry Grimace

You must be new.


Who liked Sunwell? Very few people actually played and of those that did, most found it was monstrously difficult for rewards little better than BT's.

Everyone that actually raided it? The only people that didn't like it were the people that never had a legitimate shot at even getting to the first boss. Pretty sure Sunwell and Karazhan are the two most beloved raid zones they've made.
speedpop
Has problems recognising girls
(04-29-2011, 06:30 AM)
speedpop's Avatar
Sunwell Plateau is indeed nuts in a good way.

Felmyst is still a bitch.
CassSept
Member
(04-29-2011, 06:52 AM)
CassSept's Avatar

Originally Posted by Angry Grimace

Who liked Sunwell? Very few people actually played and of those that did, most found it was monstrously difficult for rewards little better than BT's.

I looooved Sunwell. Probably my favorite raid ever.

All bosses were incredibly well designed (well, unless you consider class stacking to be a fatal flow), every boss was fresh and interesting, there was a lot of going on, everyone simply had to know what was their purpose, every boss had it's place and purpose as there were no useless trash bosses.
Really, I might be biased now, but I really do remember SWP times fondly. The bosses were challenging, but fun. And without limited attempts you could continuously see your guild's progress (progressing a single boss for say three weeks and seeing the slow, yet noticeable progress between every day as you inch towards the ultimate goal was quite enjoyable).

Well, except for M'uru, fuck this guy.
Miletius
Member
(04-29-2011, 07:54 AM)
Miletius's Avatar

Originally Posted by CassSept

I looooved Sunwell. Probably my favorite raid ever.

All bosses were incredibly well designed (well, unless you consider class stacking to be a fatal flow), every boss was fresh and interesting, there was a lot of going on, everyone simply had to know what was their purpose, every boss had it's place and purpose as there were no useless trash bosses.
Really, I might be biased now, but I really do remember SWP times fondly. The bosses were challenging, but fun. And without limited attempts you could continuously see your guild's progress (progressing a single boss for say three weeks and seeing the slow, yet noticeable progress between every day as you inch towards the ultimate goal was quite enjoyable).

Well, except for M'uru, fuck this guy.

I loved Sunwell, but my mage friend hated it. I think the classes that got sat for Sunwell probably hated it. You didn't need to sit mages to clear SWP, but they couldn't do what warlocks and hunters could do easily.

I also think a lot of people are remember Kara with rose colored glasses. Loved encounters and the lore but Karazhan had so much trash. From Curator to Aran was like 30 minutes of pure trash. Then from Aran to Prince was another huge trash clear. It wasn't even easily cleared trash, it was boring CC trash and when it first came out, trash that could easily kill your tank even if he did everything right and your healers were on the ball.

Still, Kara and Ulduar were tied for me for best dungeon atmosphere. ZG was also close though!
Freyjadour
Member
(04-29-2011, 08:00 AM)
Freyjadour's Avatar
I am pretty relieved to no longer be raiding or I'd be pretty irritated. Blizzard's strategy with Raids feels like it has taken a full 180 from their promises at Blizzcon, etc. They aren't providing a higher level of content than ever before by cutting back on the number of encounters and areas they have to design, they're just struggling to bring the quality up from a level of pure mediocrity. Thanks for making "not-shitty" encounters I suppose.

The lack of their A Team on WoW has really made itself apparent in the last few years.

We'd love to be able to produce unlimited amounts of content anywhere, not just raids, for that matter.

I love this sort of PR spin. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, INFINITY
Last edited by Freyjadour; 04-29-2011 at 08:06 AM.
speedpop
Has problems recognising girls
(04-29-2011, 10:38 AM)
speedpop's Avatar
I'm still waiting for the inevitable AQ retuning announcement.
man of science
Junior Member
(04-29-2011, 11:09 AM)
When I quit right before Burning Crusade my guild was doing MC, BWL and ZG, so I feel like I never left, content-wise. Priest is 79 so I'm most looking forward to the 5-man Cata content and the troll heroics. Loved ZG back in the day and I loved the new Stranglethorn quest line. Never played ZA so it's new for me.
Spire
Subconscious Brolonging
(04-29-2011, 01:34 PM)
Spire's Avatar

Originally Posted by Freyjadour

I love this sort of PR spin. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, INFINITY

Yeah, they just can't afford to produce more content. WoW just isn't profitable enough for them to hire more people.
Tamanon
Professional Bastard
(04-29-2011, 01:57 PM)
Tamanon's Avatar

Originally Posted by speedpop

I'm still waiting for the inevitable AQ retuning announcement.

AQ20 as a five-man would be pretty fun. Maybe they could finally remake Silithus then.
Alex
Member
(04-29-2011, 03:57 PM)
Alex's Avatar
If 4.3 isn't terribly far behind 4.2, then it'll probably be a good net gain, that's one positive light to it I suppose.

We'd still be down content compared to WOTLK, but unlike WOTLK we had a good opening raid tier. That is an important thing that I don't take to into account, I suppose. Naxxramas 80 was a joke.

My favorite raid tiers are probably Ulduar and then this current one (I think the hard modes this tier are really, really well designed, but overtuned early on), SSC/TK behind that.

I also think they're redo something dealing with AQ into a 5 man, as you folks are saying. It's ripe for plucking with the current themes and remade ZG/ZA are proving rather successful and interesting, at least in my circles.

That and the whole bit with C'thun datamining from the PTR.
C.Dark.DN
previously DeathNote
(04-29-2011, 03:59 PM)
C.Dark.DN's Avatar
trying out frost dw, getting crazy threat
CassSept
Member
(04-29-2011, 04:18 PM)
CassSept's Avatar

Originally Posted by Miletius

I loved Sunwell, but my mage friend hated it. I think the classes that got sat for Sunwell probably hated it. You didn't need to sit mages to clear SWP, but they couldn't do what warlocks and hunters could do easily.

I also think a lot of people are remember Kara with rose colored glasses. Loved encounters and the lore but Karazhan had so much trash. From Curator to Aran was like 30 minutes of pure trash. Then from Aran to Prince was another huge trash clear. It wasn't even easily cleared trash, it was boring CC trash and when it first came out, trash that could easily kill your tank even if he did everything right and your healers were on the ball.

Still, Kara and Ulduar were tied for me for best dungeon atmosphere. ZG was also close though!

Well, my at the time guild master was a mage so they were privileged compared to other guilds :) But I know what happened in most of guilds in that tier.

With Kara I completely agree. The raid itself might have been atmospheric, but it was horribly tedious. I liked the feel of it but I don't really hold high esteem of it overall.
Ulduar was absolutely ace though. Really a fantastic dungeon on all fronts. I still prefer SWP (I really love BE lore and atmosphere so one of main complaints is eliminated for me. Additionally my guild was very closely tight-knit at the time, so that may retrospectively raise my opinion of the raid itself), but Uldu comes close second (some of minor annoyances like redundant trash bosses could have been eliminated...). Shame it wasn't given a proper chance to shine, how a raid like that could be the quickest tier to be ended forcefully by Blizz is completely beyond me.
moojito
Member
(04-29-2011, 04:50 PM)
moojito's Avatar

Originally Posted by DeathNote

trying out frost dw, getting crazy threat

Our dk was complaining of silly threat problems last night and he's dw frost as well. Maybe there's something to it.
C.Dark.DN
previously DeathNote
(04-29-2011, 05:16 PM)
C.Dark.DN's Avatar

Originally Posted by moojito

Our dk was complaining of silly threat problems last night and he's dw frost as well. Maybe there's something to it.

I was getting up to 125% threat in certain scenarios. Default UI. Didn't know that was possible.

A lot of times it was in the high 80's and 90's on the guild's main tank.
C.Dark.DN
previously DeathNote
(04-29-2011, 05:25 PM)
C.Dark.DN's Avatar
nvm
Last edited by C.Dark.DN; 04-29-2011 at 05:31 PM.
cuevas, PhD.
Member
(04-29-2011, 06:51 PM)
cuevas, PhD.'s Avatar

Originally Posted by DeathNote

I was getting up to 125% threat in certain scenarios. Default UI. Didn't know that was possible.

A lot of times it was in the high 80's and 90's on the guild's main tank.

Yeah 100% threat doesn't mean you will pull the boss.
Flib
Member
(04-29-2011, 06:51 PM)
Flib's Avatar
The Thrall related questchain in 4.2 sounds kind of nuts

Thrall dies oh noes...sort of

http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/...ds”-Quest-Line
Miletius
Member
(04-29-2011, 08:38 PM)
Miletius's Avatar
Lore is a huge part of the dungeon for me too. Most raiding dungeons were actually pretty good at telling a story. It was cool that the SW story tied into those Tokyopop mangas too. Since then though Kalec seems like kind of a wuss.
Angry Grimace
Member
(04-29-2011, 09:18 PM)
Angry Grimace's Avatar

Originally Posted by DeathNote

I was getting up to 125% threat in certain scenarios. Default UI. Didn't know that was possible.

A lot of times it was in the high 80's and 90's on the guild's main tank.

You pull at 110% threat in melee range and 130% threat at range.
vilmer_
Member
(04-30-2011, 12:03 AM)
vilmer_'s Avatar
T12 previews are up.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/2705803#blog
CarbonatedFalcon
Member
(04-30-2011, 12:10 AM)
CarbonatedFalcon's Avatar

Originally Posted by vilmer_

T12 previews are up.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/2705803#blog

Not a huge fan of the DK armor this tier though it has the pro of not having a Burger King face.


The paladin T12 is pretty sexy though. Reminiscent of the judgment set.

The others aren't very distinctive to me.
Angry Grimace
Member
(04-30-2011, 12:15 AM)
Angry Grimace's Avatar

Originally Posted by CarbonatedFalcon

Not a huge fan of the DK armor this tier though it has the pro of not having a Burger King face.


The paladin T12 is pretty sexy though. Reminiscent of the judgment set.

The others aren't very distinctive to me.

Paladin Dresses are back
CarbonatedFalcon
Member
(04-30-2011, 12:17 AM)
CarbonatedFalcon's Avatar

Originally Posted by Angry Grimace

Paladin Dresses are back

Nothing says plate armor like a dress.
Alex
Member
(04-30-2011, 12:20 AM)
Alex's Avatar
Wow, nice Paladin armor, it's been awhile since anyone has said that

Death Knight looks great too, in my opinion.

Rogue loses. Reminds me of T4.
Ferrio
real-time lotion physics
(04-30-2011, 12:21 AM)
Ferrio's Avatar

Originally Posted by CarbonatedFalcon

The paladin T12 is pretty sexy though. Reminiscent of the judgment set.
.

Ya, was going to say looks a lot like tier 2 which has always been my favorite tier set of any class.

Thread Tools