• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portal 2 release THIS FRIDAY? (no, but you can jump through hoops for Valve)

portal21ugu.png

According to the German site Gamestar.de it looks like Portal 2 will release this week!

My translation:
Portal 2 - Hints at a early release

Does the 3D-Puzzler Portal 2 release this week? Some hidden and confusing hints point to an early release this week at 04/15/2011. Is the developer Valve playing games with its fans of the 3d Puzzler Portal 2? It looks like it. Different US game and tech websites report that they received e-mails from Gabe Newell (director of Valve).

This mails contained encrypted pictures and messages which are pointing to an early release of Portal 2 in one or another way. One of the encrypted messages contains the line: 4/19/2011_7AM=4/15/2011_9AM. Currently the plan is to release portal 2 at 4/19/2011. But if you believe this mails the game could be release 4 days earlier at 04/15/2011. This was not confirmed officially yet. And no statement from Valve.

In a similar way another news from the developer Gaijin Games points in the same direction. Whose action-game BIT.TRIP.BEAT is part of "The Potato Sack" games collection which is available via Steam. Like the rest of the 12 games of Valves Potato Sack there is a rumor that playing BIT.TRIP.BEAT between now and the planned release of Portal 2 will increase the chance of an early release of Portal 2. An interesting idea...

http://www.gamestar.de/spiele/portal-2/news/portal_2,45983,2322233.html

Portal 2 preload now available @steam!

Bonus Song

http://www.aperturescience.com/a/b/c/d/g/h/abcdgh/

glaurung

It would be awesome if P2 would be released this week in the EU as well.

*fingers crossed, Steam pre-load completed

Jintor

It's all conjecture based on the Gaijin Games post. Which has some degree of legitimacy, since they're participating in the ARG atm.

There do seem to be a lot of signs pointing to an early release, but I'd rather not get my hopes up. It would be a freaking awesome surprise, though!

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
shagg_187 said:
Release PC version this Friday, cash in on all the monies and then release on console on 21st for massive Scrooge McDuck damage.
That won't affect the many walk in pre-orders for consoles. If you're online and savvy and in the know then you can do this. Most of the pre-orders in store will be intact. Valve is putting the game out there so it seems like they might have a winner here.

This isn't going to be a case of needing to have purchased Potato Sack first is it? I already had many of those games.

ultron87

Hmm, even if this were to get released early on Steam the logical thing to do would be to stick with the PS3 version, and wait till Amazon gets it to me on Tuesday. Since it's cheaper (with the twenty dollars from Amazon).

But then there'd be people playing Portal 2 and I wouldn't be one of them. It'd drive me mad!

*conundrum*

Jintor

JaseC said:
This has been/is being discussed in the ARG thread.

More recently Gaijin Games confirmed on their blog that the ARG is an effort to have Portal 2 released early.

I'm not putting my faith in anything except for Valve official statements... but that's some good opinion shifting evidence right there!

droopy

DoctorWho said:
This isn't going to be a case of needing to have purchased Potato Sack first is it? I already had many of those games.

Having all the games in the potato sac counts as buying it too, at least for the team fortress-related stuff.

ultron87 said:
Hmm, even if this were to get released early on Steam the logical thing to do would be to stick with the PS3 version, and wait till Amazon gets it to me on Tuesday. Since it's cheaper (with the twenty dollars from Amazon).

But then there'd be people playing Portal 2 and I wouldn't be one of them. It'd drive me mad!

*conundrum*

I'll taunt you while I play my copy before you.

There will be a dance... and cosplay.

Kyaw

I need to buy and pre-load it ASAP. Cant wait around to trade in games to Amazon and buy it with credit.

hmmm, much higher system requirements than Portal 1.

my 09 macbook unibody will run it like crap on minimum settings, I'm guessing.

yes, I would pay $45 just to play it 4 days earlier than my 360 version.

Suairyu

Banned
I'm still waiting on the inevitable Steam sale three months from now, but glad to know it's getting out there soon!

Suairyu said:
I'm still waiting on the inevitable Steam sale three months from now, but glad to know it's getting out there soon!

I only do that with games when I'm not certain whether they'll be amazing or not.

Prophet Steve said:
I don't know who, but the guy that makes it said there was a slight delay. Thursday or Friday he would release it if I remember correctly.

Cool cool cool. I'd be fine with basic information and then that dinosaur rave gif posted like 60 times tbh

bigace33

Suairyu said:
Same here, but it's really hard to wait. I know I can get the game much cheaper later on but I really want it now. :(

Suairyu

Banned
Mango Positive said:
I only do that with games when I'm not certain whether they'll be amazing or not.
Same here, usually, but I picked both L4D games up for £10 in about six months after release. I'm patient enough to wait; it'd be stupidity not to when I don't value the extra £15 as worth it just to play it on release.
MehsterChief said:
Oh yes, make it happen. Girlfriend's away over the weekend, finishing my paper can wait.
Then who are you planning on playing the co-op campaign with?

I won't be touching Portal 2 for a while if it comes out on the 19th because I'll be playing Mortal Kombat...but if it comes out Friday I'll be all over it :)

OMG Aero

I hope they don't release it early, that means I'd have to start avoiding websites a week early while I wait for my PS3 version to arrive.

Top Bottom