• Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Portal 2 Reviews : Page 4
schennmu
(04-19-2011, 03:31 PM)

Originally Posted by SolidSnakex

Here are 720p screens from both versions

http://www.play-mag.co.uk/screenshot...nshot-gallery/

Dang, 360 really looks sub-hd. Surprising given Valve's experience on the platform.
Cheech

Originally Posted by Kaako

In case you missed it.

I checked out that link. You've got to be kidding me. The screens look basically identical. This is not like you're comparing the PS3 GRAW port circa 2007 with the 360 version here.

Since this is ostensibly the review thread on what is clearly an early candidate for GOTY, it is kind of galling that this is the kind of nitpick shit you guys are focused on.
Interfectum
nothing beats:

jett
(04-19-2011, 03:32 PM)
Surprised that Valve was actually true to their word, that the PS3 version would indeed be the best. :P Definitely using MLAA too, pretty nice.
Barrett2
(04-19-2011, 03:32 PM)
Compared to how poorly Orange Box ran on PS3, it's nice to see this performs much better.
FINALBOSS
Banned
(04-19-2011, 03:33 PM)

Originally Posted by Cheech

How do you figure? In a review thread, debating over zoomed-in screenshots over a subtle amount of AA difference between versions comes across as nitpicky at best. I mean, seriously. Why not debate over how the inside of the 360 case smells compared to the PS3 version?

I really need to explain this to you?

Because you're complaining about console fanboys when you clearly favor the PC and want it to be compared to the console versions so you can update your e-peen blog.

There doesn't need to be comparisons because it's quite obvious the PC will be better.
TheRagnCajun
(04-19-2011, 03:36 PM)

Originally Posted by lawblob

Compared to how poorly Orange Box ran on PS3, it's nice to see this performs much better.

Like I said, its cause EA didn't port it this time.
Cheech
(04-19-2011, 03:36 PM)

Originally Posted by expy

You get that with the PS3 version as well. =p

I know, and this pleases me. It is a hell of a savvy move to get more people playing PC games, and as a result become future Steam customers. I am anticipating at least one near-future GAF thread from somebody who tried actual PC gaming for the first time as a result of the PS3 promo, and the essence of the post being, "WHY didn't somebody tell me? WHY WHY WHY?!?!". And, that person will be playing his future multiplats at 1080p, 60fps, with no tearing or AA issues.

Originally Posted by FINALBOSS

I really need to explain this to you?

Because you're complaining about console fanboys when you clearly favor the PC and want it to be compared to the console versions so you can update your e-peen blog.

There doesn't need to be comparisons because it's quite obvious the PC will be better.

Fine sir, whatever do you mean? Hah. There is no "e-peen blog", though. I want the PC version added to LensofTruth and similar sites not for my own edification, but as a means to get more people into PC gaming.
JaseC
gave away the keys to the kingdom.
(04-19-2011, 03:37 PM)

Originally Posted by chubigans

What the heck happened to the 360? Didn't the 360 Orange Box run at 720p native?

Wait for a resolution analysis, as it could have a blur filter applied to simulate AA. This is likely the case as the Orange Box titles and the L4D games have a 720p resolution.

You won't see 720p and MSAA in Source on the X360 as 720p + HDR + 2xMSAA is too large to fit into the 10MB EDRAM.
Kaako
Felium Defensor

I checked out that link. You've got to be kidding me. The screens look basically identical. This is not like you're comparing the PS3 GRAW port circa 2007 with the 360 version here.

Since this is ostensibly the review thread on what is clearly an early candidate for GOTY, it is kind of galling that this is the kind of nitpick shit you guys are focused on.

Welcome to Neogaf. It's obviously safe to assume that most of us will be getting this game (regardless of platform) and enjoying the hell out of it. However, did you really think there would be no discussion/posts about comparisons which gaf loves to do when there is a freaking link in the OP? Did you expect everyone to post "fuck yea, awesome scores" and that's it?
Beer Monkey
Went with inferior 360 version for more co-op friends, will get PC version on sale or when Razer Hydra ships.
NBtoaster
(04-19-2011, 03:38 PM)

Originally Posted by expy

You get that with the PS3 version as well. =p

We'll wait for pixel counters, but those edges are just SO BAD it can't just be a filter.

It has to be a filter, as it only affects certain edges.

Eg, from here:

http://i.imgur.com/m6hVX.png

You get two distinct quality edges:

http://i.imgur.com/U0Pez.png

This one is sharp, 1:1 pixel ratio (no, filter, no scaling)

http://i.imgur.com/QhvJq.png

These edges are being assaulted by the filter. The filter seems to miss certain edges, so maybe it misses the first example because of the darker color or lighting.
StuBurns
just talking loud
and saying nothing
(04-19-2011, 03:38 PM)

I know, and this pleases me. It is a hell of a savvy move to get more people playing PC games, and as a result become future Steam customers. I am anticipating at least one near-future GAF thread from somebody who tried actual PC gaming for the first time as a result of the PS3 promo, and the essence of the post being, "WHY didn't somebody tell me? WHY WHY WHY?!?!". And, that person will be playing his future multiplats at 1080p, 60fps, with no tearing or AA issues.

Man you're just as bad as the PS360 comparison people.
Sn4ke_911
If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
(04-19-2011, 03:40 PM)
Uuuuh the ARG pissed alot of people off. Portal 2 is getting a shitload of negative user reviews.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/po...?dist=negative
Last edited by Sn4ke_911; 04-19-2011 at 03:46 PM.
gregor7777
my womb is impregnable
(04-19-2011, 03:41 PM)

Originally Posted by Interfectum

nothing beats:

Funny thing about that is I agree with a lot of that stuff and would still give Gears a 10 out of 10. /shrug
The Technomancer
card-carrying scientician
(04-19-2011, 03:41 PM)
Wow, I am incredibly impressed that, going by what screenshots I've seen, Portal 2 runs better on my 2009 Macbook then it does on the consoles. Seriously, I've got 2xAA and all settings on high, and the game is like butter.
Cheech
(04-19-2011, 03:42 PM)

Originally Posted by Sn4ke_911

Uuuuh the ARG pissed alot of people off.

Do not go reading those comments. I saw something mildly spoilerish there, and it is clear people are out for blood.
gregor7777
my womb is impregnable
(04-19-2011, 03:43 PM)

Originally Posted by The_Technomancer

Wow, I am incredibly impressed that, going by what screenshots I've seen, Portal 2 runs better on my 2009 Macbook then it does on the consoles. Seriously, I've got 2xAA and all settings on high, and the game is like butter.

What res?
Sn4ke_911
(04-19-2011, 03:43 PM)

Do not go reading those comments. I saw something mildly spoilerish there, and it is clear people are out for blood.

Thanks for the heads up!
Timber
(04-19-2011, 03:44 PM)
Reading Metacritic user reviews is what I love most about gaming nowadays.
badcrumble

Uuuuh the ARG pissed alot of people off. Portal 2 is getting a shitload of negative user reviews.

Pathetic.
MNC
Fucking user reviews. I already know from the start this game is simply fucking amazing! And I haven't even touched anything concerning it! :p
Cheech
(04-19-2011, 03:45 PM)

Originally Posted by StuBurns

Man you're just as bad as the PS360 comparison people.

I disagree, only because the PC version is such a leap above the console editions. It's literally like comparing the 360 version of Black Ops with the Wii version. At the console level, things are pretty close to being on par with each other.

I'm not trying to be a dick or troll here, but it's just the reality of things.
AllIsOneIsNone
(04-19-2011, 03:46 PM)

It's literally like comparing the 360 version of Black Ops with the Wii version.

It's not even figuratively like that.
Ickman3400
Banned
Don't know why anyone would take a user review from one of these places seriously anyway. Any troll can write and score anything they want.
Rad-
Wow at the 360 shots. Portal 1 on 360 looks better than that!
RurouniZel
Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
(04-19-2011, 03:47 PM)
Need one play the 1st Portal to understand the 2nd? I'm mildy curious.
depths20XX
(04-19-2011, 03:48 PM)

Downrating a game for something that has nothing to do with the game itself. Pathetic.
Maxim726X
(04-19-2011, 03:48 PM)
Was it really necessary to ban that dude who had his own review among 6 or 7 others? He was honest about it.
ultron87
(04-19-2011, 03:49 PM)

nothing beats:

*Gears 2 1up Review*

It's almost like an A+ doesn't mean it's a perfect game with 0 flaws. . .
badcrumble
(04-19-2011, 03:49 PM)

Originally Posted by RurouniZel

It'd help a hell of a lot, yes. Besides, Portal is such a fucking good game that there's no excuse not to play it on whichever platform you can (preferably PC, since Portal can be scaled to run on practically anything remotely modern).
InfiniteNine
Rolling Girl
(04-19-2011, 03:50 PM)

Originally Posted by RurouniZel

For the story yeah. A lot of people who are already have Portal on PC are gifting it away. I'd say keep a look out if your interested. :)
metareferential
Is this really all due to the ARG?

Really?

'the fuck were they expecting? The second coming of Jesus right through digital distribution?
Tanolen

Reading comments sounds like alot of it is the coop store.
TheRagnCajun

I think they have a right to be pissed, but it really shouldn't sour their view of the game.
Sn4ke_911
(04-19-2011, 03:51 PM)

Originally Posted by Ickman3400

Don't know why anyone would take a user review from one of these places seriously anyway. Any troll can write and score anything they want.

Yeah, it just surprise me how such a great game can get so many negative reviews in just a couple of hours. Clearly ARG's fault.
Dina
Hyperbolia.
StuBurns
just talking loud
and saying nothing

I disagree, only because the PC version is such a leap above the console editions. It's literally like comparing the 360 version of Black Ops with the Wii version. At the console level, things are pretty close to being on par with each other.

I'm not trying to be a dick or troll here, but it's just the reality of things.

And the logic behind it is the same. You're saying "if you have all three, get it on PC, it's best there", that's fine, and it's true, but not everyone has all three, and if they only have two, and they still want the best they can get, that's the point of the comparison.

Now it's true there is a lot of fanboy shit behind it, and I'm sure a GameFAQs/GameTrailers forum might be hip deep in fanboy bloodshed right now, but I think for the most part people here just want to know the aspects of the different versions, and not use it for some sort of imaginary war between two systems.
Cheech
(04-19-2011, 03:53 PM)

Most of the time, user reviews are where I get my actual review info from that I take seriously. There's a lot more of them, and written by people with a lot more skin in the game (i.e. they didn't get a review copy for free). They also don't get "gift packs" or junkets to Italy to "review" Assassin's Creed 2.

On super high profile games, though, you're going to get this kind of BS. It reminds me of when Civ V came out, and it got blasted in Meta's user reviews and Amazon for having Steamworks of all things.

The only publisher who seems immune to the circus backlash is Nintendo, because shitting on them is like trolling a toddler by taking his candy away.
ultron87
(04-19-2011, 03:54 PM)
The only "User Reviews" I generally listen to for games are impressions in GAF threads.
Interfectum
(04-19-2011, 03:54 PM)

Yeah, it just surprise me how such a great game can get so many negative reviews in just a couple of hours. Clearly ARG's fault.

It's the ARG and PC gamers being mad that hat store made an appearance in Portal 2. I'm not sure why anyone cares that a hat store is there or not as it won't effect your gaming at all, but whatever... rage away bored, angry people.
Davidion
Rambunctious Rogue
yet
Regrets his Tag
(04-19-2011, 03:55 PM)
Hot

Damn
GeoramA
(04-19-2011, 03:55 PM)

Originally Posted by jett

Surprised that Valve was actually true to their word, that the PS3 version would indeed be the best. :P Definitely using MLAA too, pretty nice.

Very refreshing to see. And to think, at this time last year nobody thought a PS3 version existed and Valve hated Sony's guts.
Ickman3400
Banned
(04-19-2011, 03:56 PM)

Originally Posted by ultron87

The only "User Reviews" I generally listen to for games are impressions in GAF threads.

Me too, that's what I meant in my last comment. Outside of Gaf I don't listen to any random person on the internet, it's not worth wasting my time.
BenjaminBirdie
(04-19-2011, 03:57 PM)

Originally Posted by MNC

Fucking user reviews. I already know from the start this game is simply fucking amazing! And I haven't even touched anything concerning it! :p

I'm only three chapters in and it is already clearly the pinnacle of the medium. Unquestionably.
SuperSonic1305
(04-19-2011, 03:57 PM)

Oh wow PS3 wins across the board (better graphics, steamworks, free PC game, etc).

Amazing what a competent development studio can do. Really puts other multiplatform devs to shame.
Interfectum
(04-19-2011, 03:58 PM)

Me too, that's what I meant in my last comment. Outside of Gaf I don't listen to any random person on the internet, it's not worth wasting my time.

User reviews has become very political. If the item or company in question has done anything "wrong" in the eyes of the raging populace they get their Amazon / Meta / whatever reviews spammed to hell in retaliation.

It's quite fascinating in a way.
lupinko
(04-19-2011, 04:00 PM)

Originally Posted by szaromir

Avatar quoting is banned now? Better be careful in future.

I don't think so, but based on how the avatars are stored on the local server now, if you want to do avatar quoting, just host the avatar yourself.
Phonomezer
Banned

Originally Posted by schennmu

Dang, 360 really looks sub-hd. Surprising given Valve's experience on the platform.

L4D 1 & 2 could have been better, this port looks no different. Seeing this next to something like Crysis 2 is disappointing, but I'm more interested in the actual game.
Seraphinianus
Banned

"Portal is perfect. Portal 2 is not. It's something better than that. It's human: hot-blooded, silly, poignant, irreverent, base, ingenious and loving.

what the fug!!!

i bought this on day 1 and all but its funny how this game is killing people's brains.