• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tell me why I shouldn't get a Zune HD

Status
Not open for further replies.

No_Style

The recent price drop to $169.99 for a 16GB model and $199.99 for the 32GB model got me thinking of replacing my iPod Nano 2G for one of these. My 8GB black iPod Nano is still working fine, but I think it's time to upgrade regardless.

But why a Zune HD? Why would I get one when Microsoft has all, but abandoned it completely? Well, perhaps if I share how I prioritize key categories for an MP3 player and how I prioritize it all:

1. Price
  2. Portability
  3. High quality audio playback
  4. Battery life
  5. Sleek design
  6. Quality screen
  7. Video playback
According to reviews, the Zune HD fares very well in those key categories. In spec sheet comparisons, the iPod Touch 4G's key losses were in the price and portability (size) categories.

The iPod Touch 4G costs $249.99 for an 8GB model. I can get a 32GB Zune HD for $231.64 with taxes and shipping included. The Zune HD is also noticeably smaller and lighter than the iPod Touch 4G which -- coming from an iPod Nano -- is a big deal for me.

Based on what I've read thus far, the only clear setback (of concern to me) for the Zune HD is the lack of a physical volume button which is a shame because not having to bring out the device to adjust volume is one of the reasons why I continue to stick with my iPod Nano. But for the improved sound quality? I think I'm willing to make that sacrifice.

So tell me GAF, tell me if I'm missing anything. Why shouldn't I get a Zune HD?

Edit:
I guess I should have made it more clear, but I don't care about the apps. I already have access to those via my bro's iPod Touch 4G and I'm planning to get the iPad 3 in the future.

I have a zune hd and while its nice you should know that the app store sucks. no 3rd party apps which means their is like a total of 20-30 total apps

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
No reason not to. Loved my Zune, want another, but cost. Buy buy buy!@

No_Style

Yeah. I realize the app selection is piss poor, but it's not high on my list.

Any other quirks that I don't know about? Quick battery deaths? Screen problems? Etc?

not really anything. The battery will drain much quicker if your using the hd radio or wifi but besides that it works pretty well.

clav

No apps aside from Audiosurf.

However, it makes an excellent player + portable device sync for Windows users as opposed to iPod + iTunes.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
just get a touch, might as well spend the extra money to have the ability to use all of those apps. Of course you have to use Itunes instead of Zune which sucks.

LQX

iPod touch 8GB is $200. I would recommend it over even a Zune 32GB. Its a little bigger, speakers, web performance is also better, plus all the apps. Apps alone make even the 8GB iPod worth having over the 32GB Zune.

I have a Zune HD, and it's absolutely wonderful. Don't hesitate, unless you actually care about apps on an mp3 player. I only care about how great it plays my music.

because you could save up $75 more and get a 32gb ipod touch, which will have support for several more years and will become useful in every day life. I'm not sure what reviews you read about non-portability-- the thing is thin as hell and durable.

the deals on the apple refurbished ones are insane, if you're willing to take it a gen back:
http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/ipod/ipod_touch?mco=MTkyNDcwODk

or you can get a current gen 32gb refurbished ipod touch for $260.

I mean, the thing plays ESPGaluda, Drop 7, and Dododonpachi. this is a no brainer.

1. OLED screen sucks outdoors compared to iPod touch
2. lower screen resolution for movies
3. Shitty App Store/App Selection
4. Terrible included earbuds are actually worse than iPod Touch, and don't have controls.
5. No speaker
6. No Mic
7. No camera
8. Buying/syncing music, movies and tv shows - not as comprehensive selection or convenient

That's about it. If all you want to do is play music, view pictures, and occasionally watch video, it's not bad. And the closeout price is certainly attractive since it's been discontinued by Microsoft. But it's really far, far behind the iPod Touch in terms of a total entertainment device in your pocket.

The only people I know who can so easily discount the Apple App Store, are the people who haven't used it.

RhombusPrime

Neo Member
Nah you should get one, I have one and its fantastic.

Just don't go in expecting good apps... Because theres basically a half-assed facebook app and audiosurf.

Zebra

I've had a Zune HD since their initial release, and I use it daily, so I've had a lot of experience with it.

I use it solely for music and podcats, and I will only play the app games if I am desperately bored.
The interface is intuitive, and the design is sexy. Browsing music feels really nice.

If you are not interested in apps and just want a solid media player, get the Zune HD. App support is pretty much nonexistent, but I don't need apps for my media player, so it's perfect. That's all there is to it, really. I have no issues with the device.

numble

I guess you don't live in the USA because the iPod Touch 4G 8GB is $204.99 on Amazon, not $249.99. $274.99 for a 32 GB model.

No_Style

Zebra said:
I've had a Zune HD since their initial release, and I use it daily, so I've had a lot of experience with it.

I use it solely for music and podcats, and I will only play the app games if I am desperately bored.
The interface is intuitive, and the design is sexy. Browsing music feels really nice.

If you are not interested in apps and just want a solid media player, get the Zune HD. App support is pretty much nonexistent, but I don't need apps for my media player, so it's perfect. That's all there is to it, really. I have no issues with the device.

That sounds like how I'd be using it. Thanks to you and everyone else.

I was going to say apps but since it's not high on your list I don't see another reason not to get it besides having a smaller screen than an Ipod Touch.

Trasher

inception_totem_zune.jpg

bill0527

Go for it if you have no interest in apps.

I've got a zune 120GB I've been using for over 2years now. I've got a 16gb iPhone 4, but I use the zune for my music. I've got over 60GB of music so the phone doesn't cut it for me.

tokkun

I loved my Zune 80. Great sound quality and a nice interface. Much better than the Android and Apple media players.

Totakeke

HallucinatingElvis said:
Buy.com has the 64gig for 219.00

This, very much this. Get 64GB for 220! I'm using a 32GB but I'm almost tempted.

Also with the Zune HD dock, you can get optical out so you can plug it into a DAC that accepts optical input and you can even use it for your home stereo system or whatever directly without going through a computer.

Tobor

renitou said:
Same reasons you shouldn't buy any stand-alone MP3 player: convergence is now.
Stand alone players make sense for the gym, but other than that, you're right.

KtSlime

renitou said:
Same reasons you shouldn't buy any stand-alone MP3 player: convergence is now.

Exactly, I'm sure it's a great MP3 player, but it's like buying the top of the line portable CD player 7 years ago, or walkman 20 years ago. If it gets the job done for you, cool, but know it is EoL.

Tobor said:
Stand alone players make sense for the gym, but other than that, you're right.
Nah, jogging outdoors is really the only place they are useful. I'd often do flashcards while on the treadmill, IMO that alone completely justified my purchase of my iPhone.

Totakeke said:
This, very much this. Get 64GB for 220! I'm using a 32GB but I'm almost tempted.

Also with the Zune HD dock, you can get optical out so you can plug it into a DAC that accepts optical input and you can even use it for your home stereo system or whatever directly without going through a computer.

300 with AV dock

No_Style

As a Canadian, I can't really take advantage of the Buy.com deal since that's on the U.S side of things.

Also, convergence device like an iPhone 4 or WP7 would be great if I wanted to spend $50 per month on a voice+data plan right now. But I don't. I have an old Nokia PayAsYouGo phone from Rogers. It's the free upgrade they gave out.

KtSlime

No_Style said:
As a Canadian, I can't really take advantage of the Buy.com deal since that's on the U.S side of things.

Also, convergence device like an iPhone 4 or WP7 would be great if I wanted to spend $50 per month on a voice+data plan right now. But I don't. I have an old Nokia PayAsYouGo phone from Rogers. It's the free upgrade they gave out.

The iPod Touch say 'hello'.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
The Faceless Master said:
seeing as it's EOL, why even consider the Zune HD over an iPod Touch, even with the price difference?

Because maybe No Style just wants a music player? He did say it was somewhat cheapter to get the 32 gig Zune over a 4 gig iPod Touch. More music holding ability for a music player instead of an everything media device.

Of course, since the Zune is discontinued (*tear at J. Allard's projects all dying at MS nearly*), one has to wonder if the Zune store and Zune pass have long in the world.

Edit: IMO, I'd say stick with the iPod Nano you have right now. I'm sure there will be another revision/release of the nano and other iPod hardware sometime this or next year. If they don't improve the audio quality and lower the price for more space, jump ship to another PC/Mac/Linux capable MP3 player. The Zune may be nice, but at this point there is practically little reason to get one and you could get another competitor to the iPod that isn't dead's hardware for nearly the same price.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Heh, I have plenty of apps for my iPad but couldn't care less about the apps for my iPod Touch. So I know where you're coming from OP. I only got an iPod Touch a while back because my ZuneHD broke and I got the iPod for a good price.

I love it, but it's good for music and that's really all, I don't care about apps on such a small screen when I have an iPad.

MooMoo

Initially I thought it would be stupid to get a Zune HD since I had an iPhone already. But I impulse bought one and love it. One feature I particularly like is being able to change the tracks without having to actually pull it out of my pocket and look at the screen. Just a click of the media button, a tap on the right side and bam! Next track. It doesn't sound like a big deal on paper, but when I used it in person, I realized how much more sense it made and how convenient it was.

thirty

Banned
TheSeks said:
Because maybe No Style just wants a music player? He did say it was somewhat cheapter to get the 32 gig Zune over a 4 gig iPod Touch. More music holding ability for a music player instead of an everything media device.

Of course, since the Zune is discontinued (*tear at J. Allard's projects all dying at MS nearly*), one has to wonder if the Zune store and Zune pass have long in the world.

Edit: IMO, I'd say stick with the iPod Nano you have right now. I'm sure there will be another revision/release of the nano and other iPod hardware sometime this or next year. If they don't improve the audio quality and lower the price for more space, jump ship to another PC/Mac/Linux capable MP3 player. The Zune may be nice, but at this point there is practically little reason to get one and you could get another competitor to the iPod that isn't dead's hardware for nearly the same price.
zune store and zune pass are alive and well with WP7

Sai-kun

Banned
TheSeks said:
The Zune may be nice, but at this point there is practically little reason to get one and you could get another competitor to the iPod that isn't dead's hardware for nearly the same price.

iTunes blows and the Zune Player does not ;P

I need a new Zune. My 32GB is almost out of space. :( But I can't find the blue one anywhere.

Husker86

Why are people acting like Zune Pass isn't the best deal in the industry? I'm still waiting and being hopeful that Microsoft releases a successor...but I have my doubts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom